|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many members does the church have where Esther is married?
2. Where does DeFreitas operate his business from?
3. How many times a day does Pao's mother boil herbs for Zhang when he is dying?
4. What colors does Father Michael wear when he performs Henry Wong's funeral?
5. How did Samuels die?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 34, why is Mui so desperate to return to Jamaica?
2. How did Fay manage to kidnap the children?
3. What does Father Michael tell Pao about becoming John Morrisson's godfather?
4. Why can't Fay ask for custody of her children?
5. Under what conditions does Pao get permission to write his children?
6. Where does Father Michael believe that virtue resides?
7. Describe DeFreitas as he looks when Pao meets with him in Chapter 20.
8. Who does Miss Cecily blame when Kenneth dies?
9. What does Miss Cecily propose be done with the grocery business after Henry Wong dies?
10. Why does Mrs. Samuels come to see Pao?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 12, Pao and Baker agree to work together. Discuss Pao and Baker's business relationship.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 24, Fay kidnaps the children. Discuss how Pao reacts to the kidnapping.
Essay Topic 3
A new police sergeant is brought in to help fight corruption. Discuss the corruption in the police department and Sergeant Brown's role in taming that corruption.
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)