|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years after independence was everyone gunning down one another?
2. How many hours did it take the police to get control of the fighting the day that Kenneth was shot?
3. In Chapter 23, during what year was there open warfare on the streets of Kingston?
4. What does Karl call the nightclub he opens in England?
5. Whose daughter makes terrible pickles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Miss Cecily blame when Kenneth dies?
2. Why does Mrs. Samuels come to see Pao?
3. What does Henry Wong know about Kenneth's business?
4. In the 1970s, what are some ways that people try to smuggle money out of Jamaica?
5. Where does Father Michael believe that virtue resides?
6. Why does Kenneth decide to try the supermarket business?
7. What is rural Jamaica like?
8. What does Miss Cecily propose be done with the grocery business after Henry Wong dies?
9. Why did Mutt and Jeff, the two troublesome police constables, get kicked off the force?
10. Describe DeFreitas as he looks when Pao meets with him in Chapter 20.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even after Pao marries Fay, he is still seeing Gloria. Discuss Pao's and Gloria's relationship.
Essay Topic 2
Pao decides to put the gunrunners out of business in Chinatown. Discuss how Pao puts the gunrunners out of business.
Essay Topic 3
Merleen Chin visits Pao. Discuss Merleen's problem and how it is solved.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)