|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does DeFreitas operate his business from?
2. When is the second State of Emergency since the Independence called?
3. Where was Henry Wong's funeral held?
4. In what direction does Pao's mother have Zhang lying on his cot when Zhang is dying?
5. When Pao arranges to meet with Margery in Chapter 36, how many parishes have been declared disaster areas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe DeFreitas as he looks when Pao meets with him in Chapter 20.
2. In Chapter 34, why is Mui so desperate to return to Jamaica?
3. Why did Mutt and Jeff, the two troublesome police constables, get kicked off the force?
4. Why are Jamaicans not in charge of their own destiny in 1980?
5. Why does Father Michael believe he is an accomplice in the kidnapping of the children?
6. In the 1970s, what are some ways that people try to smuggle money out of Jamaica?
7. Who does Miss Cecily blame when Kenneth dies?
8. What reason does Pao give for wanting to know how the children spent their time at Lady Musgrave Rd.?
9. Why does Pao decide to quit calling his son Xiuquan?
10. How is Zhang's body prepared for burial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A new police sergeant is brought in to help fight corruption. Discuss the corruption in the police department and Sergeant Brown's role in taming that corruption.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 22, Fay and her mother are constantly arguing. Discuss Fay's relationship with her mother.
Essay Topic 3
The Morrisons ask Pao to be the godfather for the baby they adopted. Discuss reasons why Pao should or should not be the baby's godfather.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)