|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gloria give Pao to drink after he visits after the children are kidnapped?
2. How many days after Clifton leaves does Fay kidnap the children?
3. How many times a day does Pao's mother boil herbs for Zhang when he is dying?
4. What did Karl do when he was at the house on Lady Musgrave Rd.?
5. When did the government declare a State of Emergency in Western Kingston?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Father Michael believe that virtue resides?
2. Why are Jamaicans not in charge of their own destiny in 1980?
3. Why did Mutt and Jeff, the two troublesome police constables, get kicked off the force?
4. What was it like when the children were at Lady Musgrave Rd.?
5. What does Miss Cecily propose be done with the grocery business after Henry Wong dies?
6. What is rural Jamaica like?
7. Who does Miss Cecily blame when Kenneth dies?
8. What does Henry Wong know about Kenneth's business?
9. Under what conditions does Pao get permission to write his children?
10. In Chapter 34, why is Mui so desperate to return to Jamaica?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pao decides to put the gunrunners out of business in Chinatown. Discuss how Pao puts the gunrunners out of business.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 42, Pao looks back over his life. Dscuss Pao's reflections as he considers how he has lived and whether he is satisfied with his life.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 24, Fay kidnaps the children. Discuss how Pao reacts to the kidnapping.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)