|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Dr. and Mrs. Morrison name the baby they adopted?
2. What mineral is discovered in Jamaica in the 1950s?
3. What is the name of Gloria's perfume?
4. How old is Pao when he is in complete control of Chinatown?
5. What is Sergeant Brown's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gloria do when Pao comes to see her on the Tuesday after he tells her about his marriage?
2. Why does Zhang say that the Jamaicans riot?
3. What does Pao's mother say about Fay in Chapter 12?
4. In the 1940s, Kingston was bursting with U.S. sailors. Who visited Jamaica in the 1950s?
5. How did Gloria's relationship with Pao become personal rather than simply business?
6. What does Clifton Brown help Pao arrange for Miss Cicely to do in Chapter 13?
7. What did Gloria ask Pao to do at the beginning of Chapter 1?
8. What does Gloria cook Pao when he comes to dinner for the first time at her house?
9. Who is Henry Wong?
10. Why doesn't Finley want to hire Samuels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A new police sergeant is brought in to help fight corruption. Discuss the corruption in the police department and Sergeant Brown's role in taming that corruption.
Essay Topic 2
Even after Pao marries Fay, he is still seeing Gloria. Discuss Pao's and Gloria's relationship.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 17, Jamaica achieves independence from Britain. Discuss Jamaica under British rule and how it obtained independence.
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)