|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Even after his marriage to Fay, what type of tea does Pao drink with Gloria?
2. How long had white men been beating Jamaican women?
3. Who tells Pao that Gloria has left the Thursday after Pao tells her about his marriage?
4. In what year did Pao's father die?
5. Where did Milton's father die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the priest that Fay begins seeing.
2. Describe Pao house in Beverly Hills.
3. Who is Zhang?
4. Who moves with Pao to Beverly Hills?
5. What terms does Manley have to meet when he goes to the International Monetary Fund for help?
6. Describe what things Pao thinks he might miss if he dropped dead at the end of the novel?
7. Why can't Fay ask for custody of her children?
8. Why are Jamaicans not in charge of their own destiny in 1980?
9. In the 1940s, Kingston was bursting with U.S. sailors. Who visited Jamaica in the 1950s?
10. How does Fay treat Pao the week of their honeymoon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the way that Fay and her mother treat people who are not of their social class.
Essay Topic 2
Merleen Chin visits Pao. Discuss Merleen's problem and how it is solved.
Essay Topic 3
Even after Pao marries Fay, he is still seeing Gloria. Discuss Pao's and Gloria's relationship.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)