|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of day would Cecily have Earl Grey tea, tin salmon and cucumber sandwiches, and sponge cake served?
2. What color skirt does Esther wear for her school uniform?
3. When does Zhang want to quit his business?
4. What has Samuels' job been since he quit running with DeFreitas?
5. How long had Pao been seeing Gloria when he married Fay Wong?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pao's mother say about Fay in Chapter 12?
2. How did Gloria's relationship with Pao become personal rather than simply business?
3. What does Gloria cook Pao when he comes to dinner for the first time at her house?
4. Describe Dr. Morrison's garden at the hospital.
5. Describe the priest that Fay begins seeing.
6. What did Gloria ask Pao to do at the beginning of Chapter 1?
7. What goals were Manley and Bustamante working for?
8. What does Gloria do when Pao comes to see her on the Tuesday after he tells her about his marriage?
9. What does Clifton Brown help Pao arrange for Miss Cicely to do in Chapter 13?
10. What types of food does Pao describe eating on his honeymoon with Fay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 42, Pao looks back over his life. Dscuss Pao's reflections as he considers how he has lived and whether he is satisfied with his life.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 22, Fay and her mother are constantly arguing. Discuss Fay's relationship with her mother.
Essay Topic 3
When Esther marries, Pao ponders their relationship. Discuss Pao and Esther's relationship and how it changed over the years.
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)