|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Pao and Fay come home to Matthews Lane, for how many weeks does Pao put up with Fay's crying before he talks to her about it?
2. How did Milton's father die?
3. Where is the bar where Pao and Finley meet an American sergeant to talk business?
4. How long had Pao been seeing Gloria when he married Fay Wong?
5. What are the kids drinking when Pao goes to the Chinese Athletic Club?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of food does Pao describe eating on his honeymoon with Fay?
2. What does Gloria cook Pao when he comes to dinner for the first time at her house?
3. In Chapter 8, how does Pao make money?
4. How does Pao rationalize his daily visits to Gloria's house?
5. How did Pao describe Jamaica when he first saw it?
6. What payment did Zhang get when he first worked for Chin?
7. Why doesn't Finley want to hire Samuels?
8. What does Pao's mother say about Fay in Chapter 12?
9. How did Gloria's relationship with Pao become personal rather than simply business?
10. What happens to the waitress who is with Helena Meacham when Helena murders the boys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Morrisons ask Pao to be the godfather for the baby they adopted. Discuss reasons why Pao should or should not be the baby's godfather.
Essay Topic 2
Gloria learns that Pao is engaged to marry Fay Wong before he has a chance to tell her. Discuss how Gloria treated Pao after he became engaged and why.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 42, Pao looks back over his life. Dscuss Pao's reflections as he considers how he has lived and whether he is satisfied with his life.
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)