|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what school does Gloria enroll Esther?
2. What are the kids drinking when Pao goes to the Chinese Athletic Club?
3. In Chapter 1, what day of the week does Gloria tell Pao that he can come over?
4. What mineral is discovered in Jamaica in the 1950s?
5. Who does Gloria name her baby after?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Zhang's body prepared for burial?
2. How does Pao indicate to Sergeant Brown that they have a bond?
3. What problem is Rajinder having when he asks Pao for help?
4. Why does Kenneth decide to try the supermarket business?
5. Who is Zhang?
6. Why can't Fay ask for custody of her children?
7. In Chapter 34, why is Mui so desperate to return to Jamaica?
8. Describe what things Pao thinks he might miss if he dropped dead at the end of the novel?
9. How did Pao describe Jamaica when he first saw it?
10. What does Morrison want Pao to do for Captain Mecham?
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 22, Fay and her mother are constantly arguing. Discuss Fay's relationship with her mother.
Essay Topic 2
By Chapter 8, Pao is in charge of Zhang's business. Discuss how Pao became the head of Zhang's business.
Essay Topic 3
Merleen Chin visits Pao. Discuss Merleen's problem and how it is solved.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)