|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of day would Cecily have Earl Grey tea, tin salmon and cucumber sandwiches, and sponge cake served?
2. In Chapter 1, what day of the week does Gloria tell Pao that he can come over?
3. What do Hampton, Judge, and Pao like to eat at their shop?
4. After Pao learns that Gloria is pregnant, where does he wish she would move?
5. What did Dr. and Mrs. Morrison name the baby they adopted?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pao find a way to meet the Wongs?
2. What did Gloria ask Pao to do at the beginning of Chapter 1?
3. What does Clifton Brown help Pao arrange for Miss Cicely to do in Chapter 13?
4. What terms does Manley have to meet when he goes to the International Monetary Fund for help?
5. Why did Mutt and Jeff, the two troublesome police constables, get kicked off the force?
6. What goals were Manley and Bustamante working for?
7. In Chapter 34, why is Mui so desperate to return to Jamaica?
8. How does Pao rationalize his daily visits to Gloria's house?
9. Why does Kenneth decide to try the supermarket business?
10. What does Gloria cook Pao when he comes to dinner for the first time at her house?
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 13, Pao determines to disrupt Fay's alliances. Discuss how Pao disrupts Fay's alliances with family and friends.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 5, Pao and his friends get into business with an American sergeant. Discuss the business and what Pao's family thought of his business.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 42, Pao looks back over his life. Dscuss Pao's reflections as he considers how he has lived and whether he is satisfied with his life.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)