|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color dress is the woman wearing who appears in the doorway in Chapter 1?
2. What does Fay do with the ring that Pao buys her in Chapter 12?
3. What does the name mean that Pao gives his daughter with Fay?
4. When did Jamaica become independent of Britain?
5. How much was the going price per ton for the mineral discovered in Jamaica in the 1950s?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gloria do when Pao comes to see her on the Tuesday after he tells her about his marriage?
2. How does Fay treat Pao the week of their honeymoon?
3. In the 1940s, Kingston was bursting with U.S. sailors. Who visited Jamaica in the 1950s?
4. How did Gloria's relationship with Pao become personal rather than simply business?
5. What goals were Manley and Bustamante working for?
6. What types of food does Pao describe eating on his honeymoon with Fay?
7. Describe Dr. Morrison's garden at the hospital.
8. Who is Henry Wong?
9. What does Gloria cook Pao when he comes to dinner for the first time at her house?
10. What did Gloria ask Pao to do at the beginning of Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even after Pao marries Fay, he is still seeing Gloria. Discuss Pao's and Gloria's relationship.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the way that Fay and her mother treat people who are not of their social class.
Essay Topic 3
The Morrisons ask Pao to be the godfather for the baby they adopted. Discuss reasons why Pao should or should not be the baby's godfather.
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)