|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Pao's father die?
2. Even after his marriage to Fay, what type of tea does Pao drink with Gloria?
3. In Chapter 11, where is a new police sergeant sent to work?
4. How long had white men been beating Jamaican women?
5. What is the name of Gloria's perfume?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Morrison want Pao to do for Captain Mecham?
2. Who is Henry Wong?
3. How did Gloria's relationship with Pao become personal rather than simply business?
4. What were some of the subjects that Gloria and her friends talked about when Pao first came to dinner?
5. Why doesn't Finley want to hire Samuels?
6. How do Pao and Henry Wong become business partners?
7. What does Clifton Brown help Pao arrange for Miss Cicely to do in Chapter 13?
8. How does Pao find a way to meet the Wongs?
9. What happens to the waitress who is with Helena Meacham when Helena murders the boys?
10. In the 1940s, Kingston was bursting with U.S. sailors. Who visited Jamaica in the 1950s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 23, Pao agrees to work with Kenneth in the supermarket business. Discuss the business arrangement between Pao and the Wong's and how it works out.
Essay Topic 2
Gloria learns that Pao is engaged to marry Fay Wong before he has a chance to tell her. Discuss how Gloria treated Pao after he became engaged and why.
Essay Topic 3
When Esther marries, Pao ponders their relationship. Discuss Pao and Esther's relationship and how it changed over the years.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)