* As the novel opens, it is 1945, and Pao is visited by a beautiful woman named Gloria who wants him to visit her sister who was assaulted by a white sailor.
* Even though the sisters are prostitutes, Pao visits Marcia anyway.
* After a conversation with Hampton, the sailor that beat Marcia ends up in the hospital.
* Pao begins protecting Gloria's business.
* Pao becomes interested in Gloria and eventually they sleep together.
* Zhang, Pao's mentor tells Pao that he must get involved with a better type of woman than Gloria.
* Zhang arranges for Pao to attend a garden party where Pao sees a beautiful young woman named Fay Wong.
* Pao arranges to have her father's wallet stolen.
* Then Pao goes and returns the wallet.
* This leads to many afternoon teas with Fay's mother, Cecily.
* Eventually Pao asks Cecily if he can marry Fay.
* Though the two really...
This section contains 2,733 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)