Part 1, Chapters 1 and 2
• As the novel opens, it is 1945, and Pao is visited by a beautiful woman named Gloria who wants him to visit her sister who was assaulted by a white sailor.
• Even though the sisters are prostitutes, Pao visits Marcia anyway.
• After a conversation with Hampton, the sailor that beat Marcia ends up in the hospital.
• Pao begins protecting Gloria's business.
• Pao becomes interested in Gloria and eventually they sleep together.
• Zhang, Pao's mentor tells Pao that he must get involved with a better type of woman than Gloria.
• Zhang arranges for Pao to attend a garden party where Pao sees a beautiful young woman named Fay Wong.
• Pao arranges to have her father's wallet stolen.
• Then Pao goes and returns the wallet.
• This leads to many afternoon teas with Fay's mother, Cecily.
• Eventually Pao asks Cecily if he can marry Fay.
• Though the two really...
This section contains 3,021 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)