|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What resource did Hitler want to protect near Lake Balaton in Hungary?
2. The OKW was created to act as which of the following?
3. Guderian claimed that Himmler has strange fantasies about the German people colonizing what area?
4. Where were soldiers sent after being tried at the Court of Honor?
5. The OKH controlled the German army during the invasion of what major country?
Essay Topic 1
After dealing with France, Hitler turned his attention to Russia. He devised another daring plan for quickly annexing an entire nation through a focus on mobile warfare and rapid advances. The initial attacks took the Russian completely by surprise and resulted in huge territorial gains by the Germans. However, the Russians quickly reorganized and began to push the German army back.
1) Explain Hitler's plan for attack against Russia. What were the major strategic goals of the plan? How did Hitler intend to overcome the massive Russian advantage in manpower? What were to be the final goals of the invasion?
2) Summarize the course of the invasion of Russia.
3) Discuss the important strategic decision whether to attack Moscow or Kiev first. What has Hitler's final decision, and what motivated it?
4) Discuss the impact of the T34 tank on the war. How did the Germans respond to this threat?
5) Explain some of the major factors that led to the turn-around of Germany's success in Russia.
Essay Topic 2
The unification, or Anschluss with Austria, was one of Hitler's first major moves on the world diplomatic stage. The annexation set the tone for Hitler's aggressive political and military campaigns intended to unite all German-speaking people and create a new German empire.
1) Explain the relationship between Austria and Germany and discuss why Austria was willing to participate in the unification.
2) Discuss the course of the actual march on Austria, including Guderian involvement in it. Describe how the Germans were met in Austria and how the Germans reacted to this.
3) Summarize the advantages Germany gained as a result of the Anschluss, both material and diplomatic.
Essay Topic 3
As the war turned against Germany, Hitler began to make increasingly serious defensive blunders, often refusing to allow troops to withdraw to defensible positions or to retreat when overwhelmed by enemy forces. These decisions cost many Germans their lives and turned the course of the war irrevocably against Germany.
1) Identify and explain the events that caused Germany to go on the defensive.
2) Describe, based on the German army's doctrine and mentality, how ready the German forces were to fight a defensive war.
3) Use examples from the book to explain some situations were German military leaders recommended prudent defensive strategies, such as tactical withdrawals.
4) Explain or speculate as to why Hitler refused these recommendations, and explain the consequences of these decisions.
This section contains 2,753 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)