|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who originated the term "Blitzkrieg"?
2. When did Hitler take command of the army away from the OKH?
3. Which of the following does NOT correctly describe the Waffen-SS?
4. About how many German soldiers were lost when Army Group Center was encircled on the Eastern front?
5. The OKH controlled the German army during the invasion of what major country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Guderian relieved from his command after the failed attack on the fortress?
2. How did Guderian quickly create an effective staff for his new command as Inspector-General of the Armored Troops?
3. According to Guderian, how did Hitler come to power?
4. What defensive mistakes did Hitler constantly make during the allied advances in Europe?
5. What defensive mistake did Rommel make in dealing with the allied landings at Normandy?
6. What personal danger did Guderian face in Chapter 12?
7. What special authority did Guderian seek from general Schmundt?
8. How were the opinions about entering into war different for Hitler and for the General Staff?
9. Describe the political structure of Germany during the war, according to Guderian.
10. What factors caused the German General Staff to adopt strategies for motorized and tank warfare?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Germany's sudden invasion of Poland on September 1st, 1939 opened the second World War. The effectiveness and speed of the German advances shocked the world and changed military strategy and tactics instantly. Germany's quick occupation of Poland established it as a prime military power not to be trifled with. Further, it established the tank and the Panzer division as major weapons in this new type of warfare.
1) Explain why Germany went to war with Poland.
2) Discuss the German plan of attack on Poland. What were Germany's specific strategic goals?
3) Discuss Guderian's involvement in the invasion and assess how successful Guderian was as a military leader during this campaign.
4) Describe the importance of the tank and the Panzer division in this invasion.
5) Summarize some of the results of the invasion.
Essay Topic 2
After dealing with France, Hitler turned his attention to Russia. He devised another daring plan for quickly annexing an entire nation through a focus on mobile warfare and rapid advances. The initial attacks took the Russian completely by surprise and resulted in huge territorial gains by the Germans. However, the Russians quickly reorganized and began to push the German army back.
1) Explain Hitler's plan for attack against Russia. What were the major strategic goals of the plan? How did Hitler intend to overcome the massive Russian advantage in manpower? What were to be the final goals of the invasion?
2) Summarize the course of the invasion of Russia.
3) Discuss the important strategic decision whether to attack Moscow or Kiev first. What has Hitler's final decision, and what motivated it?
4) Discuss the impact of the T34 tank on the war. How did the Germans respond to this threat?
5) Explain some of the major factors that led to the turn-around of Germany's success in Russia.
Essay Topic 3
The German high command considered the invasion of France carefully, discussing several possible plans of attack. The final plan proved to be phenomenally effective and resulted in the quick routing of French and allied forces and the eventual annexation of most of France.
1) Discuss the major plans considered by the German high command for the invasion of France.
2) Explain Guderian's suggestions for the planning of this invasion, and discuss why these suggestions were unorthodox but effective.
3) Summarize the course of the German invasion of France, including a discussion of Guderian's personal involvement.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)