Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The OKW was created to act as which of the following?
2. Who originated the term "Blitzkrieg"?
3. Where did Rommel believe the Allies would make their major amphibious invasion?
4. What happened to the German General Staff after WWI?
5. According to Guderian, why was the German military unable to oppose Hitler?
Essay Topic 1
As the war wound down and allied forces converged on the heart of Germany, Hitler and his top advisers refused to admit defeat and repeatedly neglected to agree to armistices. This refusal cost the lives of a huge number of soldiers and civilians.
1) Explain the opportunities Hitler had to surrender to the allies on reasonable terms. Include examples of suggestions made by both the allies and by other German leaders.
2) Discuss the reasons Hitler and his advisers refused to surrender until the war was completely and hopelessly lost.
3) Explain some of the consequences of this refusal, including the loss of life and the increasingly desperate situation for German civilians.
Essay Topic 2
Germany's sudden invasion of Poland on September 1st, 1939 opened the second World War. The effectiveness and speed of the German advances shocked the world and changed military strategy and tactics instantly. Germany's quick occupation of Poland established it as a prime military power not to be trifled with. Further, it established the tank and the Panzer division as major weapons in this new type of warfare.
1) Explain why Germany went to war with Poland.
2) Discuss the German plan of attack on Poland. What were Germany's specific strategic goals?
3) Discuss Guderian's involvement in the invasion and assess how successful Guderian was as a military leader during this campaign.
4) Describe the importance of the tank and the Panzer division in this invasion.
5) Summarize some of the results of the invasion.
Essay Topic 3
The July 20th assassination plot against Hitler ended with the killing of several top German military leaders, the light wounding of the Fuhrer, and the execution of most of the conspirators. The German officers who carried out the assassination attempt believed they could end the war by killing Hitler, but Guderian expressed doubt that Hitler's death would mean anything for Germany.
1) Explain the July 20th plot, including the people involved, the plan for the assassination, how the attack was carried out, and how successful the plan was.
2) Discuss the motivations of the conspirators and explain what they hoped to achieve through their actions.
3) Describe Guderian's attitude towards the assassination attempt, including a discussion of his criticisms of the methods used by the conspirators and their morals.
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)