|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the OKH?
2. Guderian estimated the war could only continue for a few more weeks if what critical area was taken?
3. What did von Kluge attempt to do to Guderian?
4. Guderian described Hitler as being brave in what situations?
5. Who originated the term "Blitzkrieg"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What defensive mistakes did Hitler constantly make during the allied advances in Europe?
2. What major attack did Hitler order for Army Group Vistula during the events of Chapter 12?
3. Why was Guderian interrogated?
4. What personal danger did Guderian face in Chapter 12?
5. What war did the tradition of the German General Staff date back to?
6. What factors caused the German General Staff to adopt strategies for motorized and tank warfare?
7. What problem limited production in Germany in 1943?
8. What problems did the German General Staff face in the inter-war period?
9. What defensive mistake did Rommel make in dealing with the allied landings at Normandy?
10. Describe the political structure of Germany during the war, according to Guderian.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After dealing with France, Hitler turned his attention to Russia. He devised another daring plan for quickly annexing an entire nation through a focus on mobile warfare and rapid advances. The initial attacks took the Russian completely by surprise and resulted in huge territorial gains by the Germans. However, the Russians quickly reorganized and began to push the German army back.
1) Explain Hitler's plan for attack against Russia. What were the major strategic goals of the plan? How did Hitler intend to overcome the massive Russian advantage in manpower? What were to be the final goals of the invasion?
2) Summarize the course of the invasion of Russia.
3) Discuss the important strategic decision whether to attack Moscow or Kiev first. What has Hitler's final decision, and what motivated it?
4) Discuss the impact of the T34 tank on the war. How did the Germans respond to this threat?
5) Explain some of the major factors that led to the turn-around of Germany's success in Russia.
Essay Topic 2
After breaking through Belgium and Luxembourg, the German forces routed French and allied divisions, sending them fleeing North to the channel and south to the heart of France. The English expeditionary force was badly disorganized and compacted into a small area at Dunkirk, where they were slowly evacuated. Many military leaders wanted to launch a massive ground attack against these forces, but Hitler indulged Goering's desire to demonstrate the power of the German Luftwaffe by destroying the English from the air. This proved more difficult than planned, and most of the English army escaped.
1) Discuss the events that caused the English army to be cornered at Dunkirk.
2) Explain the opinions of Guderian and other military leaders about what should have been done to wipe out the English army.
3) Explain the reasons that caused Hitler to send only the Luftwaffe to attack this vulnerable position.
4) Summarize the Luftwaffe's attempts to wipe out the English.
5) Using information from the book and Guderian's personal insights, speculate how the war could have gone differently had ground forces been allowed to attack Dunkirk en masse.
Essay Topic 3
Just before launching his attack against Poland, Hitler signed a non-aggression pact with Russia that, in theory, guaranteed peace between these nations for the immediate future. This agreement allowed Hitler to safely and quickly invade Poland with little concern for a Russian attack on his rapidly-advancing and disorganized troops.
1) Explain why Hitler sought and signed the non-aggression pact with Russia. What major strategic advantages did this pact provide for Germany?
2) Discuss the agreement between Germany and Russia to split Poland's territory and explain how this agreement enticed Russia to agree to the deal arrangement and to avoid attacking Germany.
3) Explain how Hitler took advantage of the period of relative peace that the non-aggression pact provided him following the conclusion of the Polish campaign.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)