Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The OKW was created to act as which of the following?
2. Who originated the term "Blitzkrieg"?
3. Where did Rommel believe the Allies would make their major amphibious invasion?
4. What happened to the German General Staff after WWI?
5. According to Guderian, why was the German military unable to oppose Hitler?
The allied landing at Normandy was the largest amphibious invasion in history. The allies took great care to conceal the final location of their attack and to prepare the French coastline for their invasion. For their part, the Germans made many mistakes in assessing the allied invasion and suffered serious setbacks when the allies achieved air superiority.
1) Describe the German plan for the defense of occupied France. Who was in charge of this defense? Was this general well-suited for his task? What special preparations did he make?
2) Explain how allied air superiority affected the German plans for defense of the coastline.
3) Discuss the German response to the invasion. What mistakes were made in this response? Why did Rommel believe the real attack would come elsewhere? Why were German armored units unable to respond and attack the allied beachhead?
The July 20th assassination plot against Hitler ended with the killing of several top German military leaders, the light wounding of the Fuhrer, and the execution of most of the conspirators. The German officers who carried out the assassination attempt believed they could end the war by killing Hitler, but Guderian expressed doubt that Hitler's death would mean anything for Germany.
1) Explain the July 20th plot, including the people involved, the plan for the assassination, how the attack was carried out, and how successful the plan was.
2) Discuss the motivations of the conspirators and explain what they hoped to achieve through their actions.
3) Describe Guderian's attitude towards the assassination attempt, including a discussion of his criticisms of the methods used by the conspirators and their morals.
The inner circle of Nazi leaders, both political and military, affected the course of the war significantly. A small number of individuals, their capabilities and beliefs, determined in large part the fate of the German people.
1) Describe Goering's position in the Third Reich, his personality, and his connection with Hitler. Explain at least one major way in which he affected the course of the war.
2) Explain Himmler's background and dual political and military position. Explain his use of the SS and his command over Army Group Vistulla, as well as the results of both of these commands.
3) Describe Goebbels as a person and explain his importance in the German political infrastructure. Discuss his influence on the war and personal connections with Hitler.
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)