|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Guderian described Hitler as being brave in what situations?
2. What did Guderian claim about the Government Cabinet?
3. When was Guderian captured?
4. What did Hitler demand to punish the SS division that failed in its attack on Hungary?
5. What resource did Hitler want to protect near Lake Balaton in Hungary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What war did the tradition of the German General Staff date back to?
2. What was the result of the July 20th plot?
3. What was the July 20th plot?
4. What rumor did Guderian hear about Field Marshal von Kluge on July 18th?
5. What major attack did Hitler order for Army Group Vistula during the events of Chapter 12?
6. How were the opinions about entering into war different for Hitler and for the General Staff?
7. What faults did Guderian credit for Hitler's declining capabilities?
8. Summarize Guderian's opinion of Hitler's overall strategic mistakes.
9. What problems did the German General Staff face in the inter-war period?
10. What special authority did Guderian seek from general Schmundt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The German high command considered the invasion of France carefully, discussing several possible plans of attack. The final plan proved to be phenomenally effective and resulted in the quick routing of French and allied forces and the eventual annexation of most of France.
1) Discuss the major plans considered by the German high command for the invasion of France.
2) Explain Guderian's suggestions for the planning of this invasion, and discuss why these suggestions were unorthodox but effective.
3) Summarize the course of the German invasion of France, including a discussion of Guderian's personal involvement.
Essay Topic 2
Just before launching his attack against Poland, Hitler signed a non-aggression pact with Russia that, in theory, guaranteed peace between these nations for the immediate future. This agreement allowed Hitler to safely and quickly invade Poland with little concern for a Russian attack on his rapidly-advancing and disorganized troops.
1) Explain why Hitler sought and signed the non-aggression pact with Russia. What major strategic advantages did this pact provide for Germany?
2) Discuss the agreement between Germany and Russia to split Poland's territory and explain how this agreement enticed Russia to agree to the deal arrangement and to avoid attacking Germany.
3) Explain how Hitler took advantage of the period of relative peace that the non-aggression pact provided him following the conclusion of the Polish campaign.
Essay Topic 3
Hitler's plan for the invasion of Russia assumed the campaign would be concluded before the next winter, an assumption that proved to be disastrously wrong. As the Russian winter set in, the organization of German forces fell apart and the army suffered major setbacks and defeats.
1) Explain some of the problems in Germany's preparations for the Russian winter.
2) Discuss the difficulties the Russian winter presented the German army with.
3) Describe the ways the Russian forces took advantage of German disorganization during this time.
4) Summarize the impact of the Russian winter on German morale and war-fighting capability.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)