|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Guderian interrogated following the evacuation of Warsaw?
2. Guderian estimated the war could only continue for a few more weeks if what critical area was taken?
3. Guderian was horrified when the command of the newly formed Army Group Vistula was given to what commander?
4. What did Guderian want to send to Africa to help stabilize the collapsing front there?
5. According to Guderian, Hitler possessed what important capabilities?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the political structure of Germany during the war, according to Guderian.
2. What was the July 20th plot?
3. What was the result of the July 20th plot?
4. What major attack did Hitler order for Army Group Vistula during the events of Chapter 12?
5. Summarize Guderian's opinion of Hitler's overall strategic mistakes.
6. What rumor did Guderian hear about Field Marshal von Kluge on July 18th?
7. Why was Guderian interrogated?
8. How did Guderian quickly create an effective staff for his new command as Inspector-General of the Armored Troops?
9. What faults did Guderian credit for Hitler's declining capabilities?
10. What defensive mistake did Rommel make in dealing with the allied landings at Normandy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After breaking through Belgium and Luxembourg, the German forces routed French and allied divisions, sending them fleeing North to the channel and south to the heart of France. The English expeditionary force was badly disorganized and compacted into a small area at Dunkirk, where they were slowly evacuated. Many military leaders wanted to launch a massive ground attack against these forces, but Hitler indulged Goering's desire to demonstrate the power of the German Luftwaffe by destroying the English from the air. This proved more difficult than planned, and most of the English army escaped.
1) Discuss the events that caused the English army to be cornered at Dunkirk.
2) Explain the opinions of Guderian and other military leaders about what should have been done to wipe out the English army.
3) Explain the reasons that caused Hitler to send only the Luftwaffe to attack this vulnerable position.
4) Summarize the Luftwaffe's attempts to wipe out the English.
5) Using information from the book and Guderian's personal insights, speculate how the war could have gone differently had ground forces been allowed to attack Dunkirk en masse.
Essay Topic 2
When he was reinstated in the army, Guderian was given the rank of Inspector-General of the Armored Troops. This was a very important position that gave Guderian the authority he had always sought, but it came late in the war and at a time when the organization of the armored troops was in a desperate condition.
1) Explain the reasons Guderian was reinstated into the army and given his new rank.
2) Summarize the responsibilities and authority Guderian gained in his new capacity.
3) Explain how Guderian was able to quickly assemble an effective staff.
4) Discuss the state of the German armored troops at the time Guderian assumed his new command, and discuss the changes that Guderian made to these forces in order to make them effective once again.
Essay Topic 3
Germany's sudden invasion of Poland on September 1st, 1939 opened the second World War. The effectiveness and speed of the German advances shocked the world and changed military strategy and tactics instantly. Germany's quick occupation of Poland established it as a prime military power not to be trifled with. Further, it established the tank and the Panzer division as major weapons in this new type of warfare.
1) Explain why Germany went to war with Poland.
2) Discuss the German plan of attack on Poland. What were Germany's specific strategic goals?
3) Discuss Guderian's involvement in the invasion and assess how successful Guderian was as a military leader during this campaign.
4) Describe the importance of the tank and the Panzer division in this invasion.
5) Summarize some of the results of the invasion.
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)