|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who originated the term "Blitzkrieg"?
2. What force catpured Guderian?
3. What happened to the German General Staff after WWI?
4. When Guderian was promoted to Inspector-General of the Armored Troops, the German infantry largely lacked what vital weapon?
5. About how many German soldiers were lost when Army Group Center was encircled on the Eastern front?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Guderian's opinion of Hitler's overall strategic mistakes.
2. What war did the tradition of the German General Staff date back to?
3. What was the result of the July 20th plot?
4. How did Guderian quickly create an effective staff for his new command as Inspector-General of the Armored Troops?
5. What problem limited production in Germany in 1943?
6. How were the opinions about entering into war different for Hitler and for the General Staff?
7. How well did Himmler fare as the leader of Army Group Vistula?
8. According to Guderian, how did Hitler come to power?
9. What kind of audience did Guderian seek in Chapter 12?
10. What defensive mistakes did Hitler constantly make during the allied advances in Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the Munich conference, Hitler received many concessions intended to appease his expansionist desires. World leaders, such as British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain, were delighted that peace was achieved, but the Czechoslovakians paid for this peace with their freedom. Their entire state was soon cut into pieces and annexed variously by Germany, Austria, and Hungary. In the end, the peace was only illusory, since Hitler had no intention of ending his ambitions in Czechoslovakia.
1) Explain the Munich conference and the reasons the Western powers were willing to grant Germany permission to annex Czechoslovakia.
2) Summarize the course of the German occupation of Czechoslovakia. How were the Germans met in the Sudetenland?
3) Explain how the Germans, including Guderian and other military leaders, reacted to the annexation of the Sudetenland.
4) Discuss the advantages Germany gained as a result of the annexation of the Sudetenland and other areas of Czechoslovakia.
Essay Topic 2
The German high command considered the invasion of France carefully, discussing several possible plans of attack. The final plan proved to be phenomenally effective and resulted in the quick routing of French and allied forces and the eventual annexation of most of France.
1) Discuss the major plans considered by the German high command for the invasion of France.
2) Explain Guderian's suggestions for the planning of this invasion, and discuss why these suggestions were unorthodox but effective.
3) Summarize the course of the German invasion of France, including a discussion of Guderian's personal involvement.
Essay Topic 3
During the time Guderian was dismissed from active service, the German armored forces fell into disarray. The Panther and Tiger tanks were introduced, with limited initial success. As divisions were destroyed and tanks fell into disrepair, the entire armored forces threatened to collapse.
1) Explain why the Tiger and Panther tanks were developed and discuss Guderian's opinion as to why they were not initially very effective.
2) Discuss the problems that German tank production, maintenance, and repair faced as the war progressed.
3) Describe some of the problems in organization that faced the German armored forces. How did these circumstances differ from those at the outset of the war?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)