|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The OKW was created to act as which of the following?
2. Who originated the term "Blitzkrieg"?
3. Where did Rommel believe the Allies would make their major amphibious invasion?
4. What happened to the German General Staff after WWI?
5. According to Guderian, why was the German military unable to oppose Hitler?
Essay Topic 1
During the time Guderian was dismissed from active service, the German armored forces fell into disarray. The Panther and Tiger tanks were introduced, with limited initial success. As divisions were destroyed and tanks fell into disrepair, the entire armored forces threatened to collapse.
1) Explain why the Tiger and Panther tanks were developed and discuss Guderian's opinion as to why they were not initially very effective.
2) Discuss the problems that German tank production, maintenance, and repair faced as the war progressed.
3) Describe some of the problems in organization that faced the German armored forces. How did these circumstances differ from those at the outset of the war?
Essay Topic 2
The German high command considered the invasion of France carefully, discussing several possible plans of attack. The final plan proved to be phenomenally effective and resulted in the quick routing of French and allied forces and the eventual annexation of most of France.
1) Discuss the major plans considered by the German high command for the invasion of France.
2) Explain Guderian's suggestions for the planning of this invasion, and discuss why these suggestions were unorthodox but effective.
3) Summarize the course of the German invasion of France, including a discussion of Guderian's personal involvement.
Essay Topic 3
The unification, or Anschluss with Austria, was one of Hitler's first major moves on the world diplomatic stage. The annexation set the tone for Hitler's aggressive political and military campaigns intended to unite all German-speaking people and create a new German empire.
1) Explain the relationship between Austria and Germany and discuss why Austria was willing to participate in the unification.
2) Discuss the course of the actual march on Austria, including Guderian involvement in it. Describe how the Germans were met in Austria and how the Germans reacted to this.
3) Summarize the advantages Germany gained as a result of the Anschluss, both material and diplomatic.
This section contains 2,770 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)