|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What recommendation did Hitler make to Guderian, during their discussions, during the events of Chapter 12?
2. Why was Guderian interrogated following the evacuation of Warsaw?
3. When was Guderian captured?
4. According to Guderian, why was the German military unable to oppose Hitler?
5. How many panzer divisions did Guderian manage to scrape together for the Western front?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the July 20th plot?
2. What happened when the Russians invaded German-allied Romania?
3. What major attack did Hitler order for Army Group Vistula during the events of Chapter 12?
4. What defensive mistake did Rommel make in dealing with the allied landings at Normandy?
5. What is the role of the "Court of Honor"?
6. What factors caused the German General Staff to adopt strategies for motorized and tank warfare?
7. What defensive mistakes did Hitler constantly make during the allied advances in Europe?
8. What was the result of the July 20th plot?
9. Why was Guderian relieved from his command after the failed attack on the fortress?
10. How did Guderian quickly create an effective staff for his new command as Inspector-General of the Armored Troops?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Guderian's publication, "Tank Attack by Movement" was intended for military theorists and described the ways he believed armor should be used in warfare. His ideas were developed in an atmosphere that increasingly stressed the importance of armor, but Guderian codified the principles of armored tactics for the first time, and identified the major advantages of the tank as a war-fighting machine.
1) Explain what "Tank Attack by Movement" was, why Guderian wrote it, and who his intended audience was.
2) Discuss how Guderian believed tanks should be employed in warfare.
3) Summarize what Guderian believed to be the major advantages of tanks over other available forces.
4) Describe some of the differences between Guderian's approach to armored warfare and the classic approach used in WWI and endorsed by other military leaders of the time.
Essay Topic 2
The inner circle of Nazi leaders, both political and military, affected the course of the war significantly. A small number of individuals, their capabilities and beliefs, determined in large part the fate of the German people.
1) Describe Goering's position in the Third Reich, his personality, and his connection with Hitler. Explain at least one major way in which he affected the course of the war.
2) Explain Himmler's background and dual political and military position. Explain his use of the SS and his command over Army Group Vistulla, as well as the results of both of these commands.
3) Describe Goebbels as a person and explain his importance in the German political infrastructure. Discuss his influence on the war and personal connections with Hitler.
Essay Topic 3
Germany's war on the Eastern front quickly became a defensive battle after the stalled offensives of the first winter there and the disasters at Stalingrad and Kursk. However, Hitler failed to adapt to the demands of this style of warfare and the German army suffered significant setbacks as a result. The German army was never able to effectively defend against the advancing Russians.
1) Explain the strategic situation on the Eastern front when Germany went on the defensive.
2) Discuss the recommendations made by Guderian and other German military leaders for the defense of the Eastern front, and explain why Hitler refused to adopt these recommendations.
3) Describe some of the consequences of Hitler's mistakes on the Eastern front, including the loss of German divisions, vital resources, and strategic losses, such as the impact on morale and organization.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)