|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hitler demand to punish the SS division that failed in its attack on Hungary?
2. How did most of the younger officers in the German General Staff react to the Nazi's rise to power?
3. Which of the following does Guderian NOT cite as a reason for Hitler's declining capabilities?
4. Following the allied breakout from Normany, German forces retreated to what region?
5. Guderian described Hitler as being prone to panic in what situations?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when the Russians invaded German-allied Romania?
2. What problem limited production in Germany in 1943?
3. What was the July 20th plot?
4. How were the opinions about entering into war different for Hitler and for the General Staff?
5. What personal danger did Guderian face in Chapter 12?
6. According to Guderian, how did Hitler come to power?
7. How well did Himmler fare as the leader of Army Group Vistula?
8. How did Guderian quickly create an effective staff for his new command as Inspector-General of the Armored Troops?
9. What major attack did Hitler order for Army Group Vistula during the events of Chapter 12?
10. What is the role of the "Court of Honor"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the situation worsened for Germany, Hitler became increasingly distrustful of his generals and began to chastise them for minor acts of disobedience. This trend began soon after the close of the Polish campaign and increased in severity until the end of the war.
1) Discuss the beginnings of Hitler's distrust for his generals. Cite Guderian's first hints Hitler was unsatisfied with his generals.
2) Explain some of the issues Hitler disagreed with his generals on, including defensive positions, strategic goals, and tactical withdrawals.
3) Describe some of the consequences of Hitler's distrust for his generals, including but not limited to the diminishing effectiveness of the German war-machine, the promotion of incompetent generals, and the assassination attempts against Hitler himself.
Essay Topic 2
When he was reinstated in the army, Guderian was given the rank of Inspector-General of the Armored Troops. This was a very important position that gave Guderian the authority he had always sought, but it came late in the war and at a time when the organization of the armored troops was in a desperate condition.
1) Explain the reasons Guderian was reinstated into the army and given his new rank.
2) Summarize the responsibilities and authority Guderian gained in his new capacity.
3) Explain how Guderian was able to quickly assemble an effective staff.
4) Discuss the state of the German armored troops at the time Guderian assumed his new command, and discuss the changes that Guderian made to these forces in order to make them effective once again.
Essay Topic 3
The unification, or Anschluss with Austria, was one of Hitler's first major moves on the world diplomatic stage. The annexation set the tone for Hitler's aggressive political and military campaigns intended to unite all German-speaking people and create a new German empire.
1) Explain the relationship between Austria and Germany and discuss why Austria was willing to participate in the unification.
2) Discuss the course of the actual march on Austria, including Guderian involvement in it. Describe how the Germans were met in Austria and how the Germans reacted to this.
3) Summarize the advantages Germany gained as a result of the Anschluss, both material and diplomatic.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)