|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the planning of the Kursk offensive, Guderian had what major objection?
2. What German forces were engaged in the Ardennes Offensive?
3. What was the German General Staff's opinion towards entering the war?
4. What happened when Guderian was called to meet with Hitler, following the assassination attempt of July 20th?
5. What did Guderian do during his final meeting with the Fuhrer that upset Hitler significantly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when the Russians invaded German-allied Romania?
2. What war did the tradition of the German General Staff date back to?
3. How were the opinions about entering into war different for Hitler and for the General Staff?
4. What was the result of the July 20th plot?
5. Why was Guderian interrogated?
6. Why was Guderian relieved from his command after the failed attack on the fortress?
7. What defensive mistakes did Hitler constantly make during the allied advances in Europe?
8. What defensive mistake did Rommel make in dealing with the allied landings at Normandy?
9. What kind of audience did Guderian seek in Chapter 12?
10. What personal danger did Guderian face in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After dealing with France, Hitler turned his attention to Russia. He devised another daring plan for quickly annexing an entire nation through a focus on mobile warfare and rapid advances. The initial attacks took the Russian completely by surprise and resulted in huge territorial gains by the Germans. However, the Russians quickly reorganized and began to push the German army back.
1) Explain Hitler's plan for attack against Russia. What were the major strategic goals of the plan? How did Hitler intend to overcome the massive Russian advantage in manpower? What were to be the final goals of the invasion?
2) Summarize the course of the invasion of Russia.
3) Discuss the important strategic decision whether to attack Moscow or Kiev first. What has Hitler's final decision, and what motivated it?
4) Discuss the impact of the T34 tank on the war. How did the Germans respond to this threat?
5) Explain some of the major factors that led to the turn-around of Germany's success in Russia.
Essay Topic 2
The unification, or Anschluss with Austria, was one of Hitler's first major moves on the world diplomatic stage. The annexation set the tone for Hitler's aggressive political and military campaigns intended to unite all German-speaking people and create a new German empire.
1) Explain the relationship between Austria and Germany and discuss why Austria was willing to participate in the unification.
2) Discuss the course of the actual march on Austria, including Guderian involvement in it. Describe how the Germans were met in Austria and how the Germans reacted to this.
3) Summarize the advantages Germany gained as a result of the Anschluss, both material and diplomatic.
Essay Topic 3
As the war wound down and allied forces converged on the heart of Germany, Hitler and his top advisers refused to admit defeat and repeatedly neglected to agree to armistices. This refusal cost the lives of a huge number of soldiers and civilians.
1) Explain the opportunities Hitler had to surrender to the allies on reasonable terms. Include examples of suggestions made by both the allies and by other German leaders.
2) Discuss the reasons Hitler and his advisers refused to surrender until the war was completely and hopelessly lost.
3) Explain some of the consequences of this refusal, including the loss of life and the increasingly desperate situation for German civilians.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)