|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The OKH controlled the German army during the invasion of what major country?
2. In October of 1944, Guderian managed to stop the Russian advance in what region?
3. What did Guderian do during his final meeting with the Fuhrer that upset Hitler significantly?
4. What did Hitler order Guderian to do after their final confrontation?
5. What was Hitler's reaction to the assassination attempt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when the Russians invaded German-allied Romania?
2. What rumor did Guderian hear about Field Marshal von Kluge on July 18th?
3. Describe the political structure of Germany during the war, according to Guderian.
4. According to Guderian, how did Hitler come to power?
5. What was the July 20th plot?
6. What war did the tradition of the German General Staff date back to?
7. What defensive mistakes did Hitler constantly make during the allied advances in Europe?
8. What is the role of the "Court of Honor"?
9. What defensive mistake did Rommel make in dealing with the allied landings at Normandy?
10. How were the opinions about entering into war different for Hitler and for the General Staff?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Germany's sudden invasion of Poland on September 1st, 1939 opened the second World War. The effectiveness and speed of the German advances shocked the world and changed military strategy and tactics instantly. Germany's quick occupation of Poland established it as a prime military power not to be trifled with. Further, it established the tank and the Panzer division as major weapons in this new type of warfare.
1) Explain why Germany went to war with Poland.
2) Discuss the German plan of attack on Poland. What were Germany's specific strategic goals?
3) Discuss Guderian's involvement in the invasion and assess how successful Guderian was as a military leader during this campaign.
4) Describe the importance of the tank and the Panzer division in this invasion.
5) Summarize some of the results of the invasion.
Essay Topic 2
After breaking through Belgium and Luxembourg, the German forces routed French and allied divisions, sending them fleeing North to the channel and south to the heart of France. The English expeditionary force was badly disorganized and compacted into a small area at Dunkirk, where they were slowly evacuated. Many military leaders wanted to launch a massive ground attack against these forces, but Hitler indulged Goering's desire to demonstrate the power of the German Luftwaffe by destroying the English from the air. This proved more difficult than planned, and most of the English army escaped.
1) Discuss the events that caused the English army to be cornered at Dunkirk.
2) Explain the opinions of Guderian and other military leaders about what should have been done to wipe out the English army.
3) Explain the reasons that caused Hitler to send only the Luftwaffe to attack this vulnerable position.
4) Summarize the Luftwaffe's attempts to wipe out the English.
5) Using information from the book and Guderian's personal insights, speculate how the war could have gone differently had ground forces been allowed to attack Dunkirk en masse.
Essay Topic 3
Hitler's plan for the invasion of Russia assumed the campaign would be concluded before the next winter, an assumption that proved to be disastrously wrong. As the Russian winter set in, the organization of German forces fell apart and the army suffered major setbacks and defeats.
1) Explain some of the problems in Germany's preparations for the Russian winter.
2) Discuss the difficulties the Russian winter presented the German army with.
3) Describe the ways the Russian forces took advantage of German disorganization during this time.
4) Summarize the impact of the Russian winter on German morale and war-fighting capability.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)