Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The OKW was created to act as which of the following?
2. Who originated the term "Blitzkrieg"?
3. Where did Rommel believe the Allies would make their major amphibious invasion?
4. What happened to the German General Staff after WWI?
5. According to Guderian, why was the German military unable to oppose Hitler?
Essay Topic 1
Germany's war on the Eastern front quickly became a defensive battle after the stalled offensives of the first winter there and the disasters at Stalingrad and Kursk. However, Hitler failed to adapt to the demands of this style of warfare and the German army suffered significant setbacks as a result. The German army was never able to effectively defend against the advancing Russians.
1) Explain the strategic situation on the Eastern front when Germany went on the defensive.
2) Discuss the recommendations made by Guderian and other German military leaders for the defense of the Eastern front, and explain why Hitler refused to adopt these recommendations.
3) Describe some of the consequences of Hitler's mistakes on the Eastern front, including the loss of German divisions, vital resources, and strategic losses, such as the impact on morale and organization.
Essay Topic 2
As the war turned against Germany, Hitler began to make increasingly serious defensive blunders, often refusing to allow troops to withdraw to defensible positions or to retreat when overwhelmed by enemy forces. These decisions cost many Germans their lives and turned the course of the war irrevocably against Germany.
1) Identify and explain the events that caused Germany to go on the defensive.
2) Describe, based on the German army's doctrine and mentality, how ready the German forces were to fight a defensive war.
3) Use examples from the book to explain some situations were German military leaders recommended prudent defensive strategies, such as tactical withdrawals.
4) Explain or speculate as to why Hitler refused these recommendations, and explain the consequences of these decisions.
Essay Topic 3
When he was reinstated in the army, Guderian was given the rank of Inspector-General of the Armored Troops. This was a very important position that gave Guderian the authority he had always sought, but it came late in the war and at a time when the organization of the armored troops was in a desperate condition.
1) Explain the reasons Guderian was reinstated into the army and given his new rank.
2) Summarize the responsibilities and authority Guderian gained in his new capacity.
3) Explain how Guderian was able to quickly assemble an effective staff.
4) Discuss the state of the German armored troops at the time Guderian assumed his new command, and discuss the changes that Guderian made to these forces in order to make them effective once again.
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)