|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurred in Romania, following the routing of the German-allied Romanian troops?
2. Guderian advocated what defensive strategy for the Eastern front?
3. Who did Guderian demand that Hitler replace?
4. How many panzer divisions did Guderian manage to scrape together for the Western front?
5. Guderian estimated the war could only continue for a few more weeks if what critical area was taken?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Germany's sudden invasion of Poland on September 1st, 1939 opened the second World War. The effectiveness and speed of the German advances shocked the world and changed military strategy and tactics instantly. Germany's quick occupation of Poland established it as a prime military power not to be trifled with. Further, it established the tank and the Panzer division as major weapons in this new type of warfare.
1) Explain why Germany went to war with Poland.
2) Discuss the German plan of attack on Poland. What were Germany's specific strategic goals?
3) Discuss Guderian's involvement in the invasion and assess how successful Guderian was as a military leader during this campaign.
4) Describe the importance of the tank and the Panzer division in this invasion.
5) Summarize some of the results of the invasion.
Essay Topic 2
Germany's war on the Eastern front quickly became a defensive battle after the stalled offensives of the first winter there and the disasters at Stalingrad and Kursk. However, Hitler failed to adapt to the demands of this style of warfare and the German army suffered significant setbacks as a result. The German army was never able to effectively defend against the advancing Russians.
1) Explain the strategic situation on the Eastern front when Germany went on the defensive.
2) Discuss the recommendations made by Guderian and other German military leaders for the defense of the Eastern front, and explain why Hitler refused to adopt these recommendations.
3) Describe some of the consequences of Hitler's mistakes on the Eastern front, including the loss of German divisions, vital resources, and strategic losses, such as the impact on morale and organization.
Essay Topic 3
Guderian's publication, "Tank Attack by Movement" was intended for military theorists and described the ways he believed armor should be used in warfare. His ideas were developed in an atmosphere that increasingly stressed the importance of armor, but Guderian codified the principles of armored tactics for the first time, and identified the major advantages of the tank as a war-fighting machine.
1) Explain what "Tank Attack by Movement" was, why Guderian wrote it, and who his intended audience was.
2) Discuss how Guderian believed tanks should be employed in warfare.
3) Summarize what Guderian believed to be the major advantages of tanks over other available forces.
4) Describe some of the differences between Guderian's approach to armored warfare and the classic approach used in WWI and endorsed by other military leaders of the time.
This section contains 2,744 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)