|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What resource did Hitler want to protect near Lake Balaton in Hungary?
2. What happened to Keitel after the war?
3. What did Guderian do during his final meeting with the Fuhrer that upset Hitler significantly?
4. What did von Kluge do after he was replaced by Model?
5. The OKH controlled the German army during the invasion of what major country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rumor did Guderian hear about Field Marshal von Kluge on July 18th?
2. What is the role of the "Court of Honor"?
3. What problem limited production in Germany in 1943?
4. How well did Himmler fare as the leader of Army Group Vistula?
5. What major attack did Hitler order for Army Group Vistula during the events of Chapter 12?
6. Why was Guderian interrogated?
7. What happened when the Russians invaded German-allied Romania?
8. What special authority did Guderian seek from general Schmundt?
9. What was the result of the July 20th plot?
10. What problems did the German General Staff face in the inter-war period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the time Guderian was dismissed from active service, the German armored forces fell into disarray. The Panther and Tiger tanks were introduced, with limited initial success. As divisions were destroyed and tanks fell into disrepair, the entire armored forces threatened to collapse.
1) Explain why the Tiger and Panther tanks were developed and discuss Guderian's opinion as to why they were not initially very effective.
2) Discuss the problems that German tank production, maintenance, and repair faced as the war progressed.
3) Describe some of the problems in organization that faced the German armored forces. How did these circumstances differ from those at the outset of the war?
Essay Topic 2
As the war wound down and allied forces converged on the heart of Germany, Hitler and his top advisers refused to admit defeat and repeatedly neglected to agree to armistices. This refusal cost the lives of a huge number of soldiers and civilians.
1) Explain the opportunities Hitler had to surrender to the allies on reasonable terms. Include examples of suggestions made by both the allies and by other German leaders.
2) Discuss the reasons Hitler and his advisers refused to surrender until the war was completely and hopelessly lost.
3) Explain some of the consequences of this refusal, including the loss of life and the increasingly desperate situation for German civilians.
Essay Topic 3
When he was reinstated in the army, Guderian was given the rank of Inspector-General of the Armored Troops. This was a very important position that gave Guderian the authority he had always sought, but it came late in the war and at a time when the organization of the armored troops was in a desperate condition.
1) Explain the reasons Guderian was reinstated into the army and given his new rank.
2) Summarize the responsibilities and authority Guderian gained in his new capacity.
3) Explain how Guderian was able to quickly assemble an effective staff.
4) Discuss the state of the German armored troops at the time Guderian assumed his new command, and discuss the changes that Guderian made to these forces in order to make them effective once again.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)