|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how many German soldiers were lost when Army Group Center was encircled on the Eastern front?
2. Guderian claimed that Himmler has strange fantasies about the German people colonizing what area?
3. What factor demoralized Rommel on the Western front?
4. Which of the following does Guderian NOT cite as a reason for Hitler's declining capabilities?
5. What was von Kluge suspected of, following the assassination attempt of July 20th?
Short Essay Questions
1. How well did Himmler fare as the leader of Army Group Vistula?
2. According to Guderian, how did Hitler come to power?
3. Why was Guderian interrogated?
4. What major attack did Hitler order for Army Group Vistula during the events of Chapter 12?
5. What happened when the Russians invaded German-allied Romania?
6. What special authority did Guderian seek from general Schmundt?
7. What is the role of the "Court of Honor"?
8. What was the result of the July 20th plot?
9. How were the opinions about entering into war different for Hitler and for the General Staff?
10. What kind of audience did Guderian seek in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The German high command considered the invasion of France carefully, discussing several possible plans of attack. The final plan proved to be phenomenally effective and resulted in the quick routing of French and allied forces and the eventual annexation of most of France.
1) Discuss the major plans considered by the German high command for the invasion of France.
2) Explain Guderian's suggestions for the planning of this invasion, and discuss why these suggestions were unorthodox but effective.
3) Summarize the course of the German invasion of France, including a discussion of Guderian's personal involvement.
Essay Topic 2
Hitler's plan for the invasion of Russia assumed the campaign would be concluded before the next winter, an assumption that proved to be disastrously wrong. As the Russian winter set in, the organization of German forces fell apart and the army suffered major setbacks and defeats.
1) Explain some of the problems in Germany's preparations for the Russian winter.
2) Discuss the difficulties the Russian winter presented the German army with.
3) Describe the ways the Russian forces took advantage of German disorganization during this time.
4) Summarize the impact of the Russian winter on German morale and war-fighting capability.
Essay Topic 3
Guderian's publication, "Tank Attack by Movement" was intended for military theorists and described the ways he believed armor should be used in warfare. His ideas were developed in an atmosphere that increasingly stressed the importance of armor, but Guderian codified the principles of armored tactics for the first time, and identified the major advantages of the tank as a war-fighting machine.
1) Explain what "Tank Attack by Movement" was, why Guderian wrote it, and who his intended audience was.
2) Discuss how Guderian believed tanks should be employed in warfare.
3) Summarize what Guderian believed to be the major advantages of tanks over other available forces.
4) Describe some of the differences between Guderian's approach to armored warfare and the classic approach used in WWI and endorsed by other military leaders of the time.
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)