|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Guderian's concept of the "panzer division" had what distinction?
2. Why did Guderian have difficulty in gaining what he sought while on inactive service?
3. What did Guderian do when he reached Brest-Litovsk?
4. What difficulty did Guderian face in attempting to cross the Narev River?
5. In the end, what plan did Hitler adopt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Guderian's military career change in 1921?
2. Why was Hitler affected by his visit to Linz?
3. What post did Hitler want to promote Guderian to; why was Guderian hesitant, and what was the outcome of the offer?
4. Why did von Kluge threaten to court-martial Guderian and Hoth?
5. Why was Guderian not satisfied after the armistice with France?
6. What diplomatic event immediately proceeded the invasion of Poland?
7. What happened to the rest of Czechoslovakia after Germany occupied the Sudetenland?
8. Describe some of the advantages of tanks over other military units and formations.
9. What was the significance of Kuln to Guderian?
10. What did Guderian do while on inactive service?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The unification, or Anschluss with Austria, was one of Hitler's first major moves on the world diplomatic stage. The annexation set the tone for Hitler's aggressive political and military campaigns intended to unite all German-speaking people and create a new German empire.
1) Explain the relationship between Austria and Germany and discuss why Austria was willing to participate in the unification.
2) Discuss the course of the actual march on Austria, including Guderian involvement in it. Describe how the Germans were met in Austria and how the Germans reacted to this.
3) Summarize the advantages Germany gained as a result of the Anschluss, both material and diplomatic.
Essay Topic 2
Germany's sudden invasion of Poland on September 1st, 1939 opened the second World War. The effectiveness and speed of the German advances shocked the world and changed military strategy and tactics instantly. Germany's quick occupation of Poland established it as a prime military power not to be trifled with. Further, it established the tank and the Panzer division as major weapons in this new type of warfare.
1) Explain why Germany went to war with Poland.
2) Discuss the German plan of attack on Poland. What were Germany's specific strategic goals?
3) Discuss Guderian's involvement in the invasion and assess how successful Guderian was as a military leader during this campaign.
4) Describe the importance of the tank and the Panzer division in this invasion.
5) Summarize some of the results of the invasion.
Essay Topic 3
The July 20th assassination plot against Hitler ended with the killing of several top German military leaders, the light wounding of the Fuhrer, and the execution of most of the conspirators. The German officers who carried out the assassination attempt believed they could end the war by killing Hitler, but Guderian expressed doubt that Hitler's death would mean anything for Germany.
1) Explain the July 20th plot, including the people involved, the plan for the assassination, how the attack was carried out, and how successful the plan was.
2) Discuss the motivations of the conspirators and explain what they hoped to achieve through their actions.
3) Describe Guderian's attitude towards the assassination attempt, including a discussion of his criticisms of the methods used by the conspirators and their morals.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)