|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the attack against Poland initiated?
2. How many children did Guderian have?
3. Why did Guderian accept the new post offered to him after the occupation of the Sudetenland?
4. The Sudetenland was located within what nation?
5. Why was Guderian unable to press his attack into Dunkirk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors made tank production and maintenance more difficult in 1942?
2. As of March 1942, how was Germany governed?
3. What post did Hitler want to promote Guderian to; why was Guderian hesitant, and what was the outcome of the offer?
4. What was Guderian unsettled by during the interlude between campaigns?
5. Why did Hitler forbid ground units to attack the routed English army at Dunkirk?
6. What happened to the rest of Czechoslovakia after Germany occupied the Sudetenland?
7. Why did the German forces face difficulties during the first winter of the Russian campaign.
8. How did Germany prepare to counter the T34 tank?
9. What did the Russian army do in Poland during Germany's invasion?
10. How did Guderian's military career change in 1921?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hitler's plan for the invasion of Russia assumed the campaign would be concluded before the next winter, an assumption that proved to be disastrously wrong. As the Russian winter set in, the organization of German forces fell apart and the army suffered major setbacks and defeats.
1) Explain some of the problems in Germany's preparations for the Russian winter.
2) Discuss the difficulties the Russian winter presented the German army with.
3) Describe the ways the Russian forces took advantage of German disorganization during this time.
4) Summarize the impact of the Russian winter on German morale and war-fighting capability.
Essay Topic 2
When he was reinstated in the army, Guderian was given the rank of Inspector-General of the Armored Troops. This was a very important position that gave Guderian the authority he had always sought, but it came late in the war and at a time when the organization of the armored troops was in a desperate condition.
1) Explain the reasons Guderian was reinstated into the army and given his new rank.
2) Summarize the responsibilities and authority Guderian gained in his new capacity.
3) Explain how Guderian was able to quickly assemble an effective staff.
4) Discuss the state of the German armored troops at the time Guderian assumed his new command, and discuss the changes that Guderian made to these forces in order to make them effective once again.
Essay Topic 3
The July 20th assassination plot against Hitler ended with the killing of several top German military leaders, the light wounding of the Fuhrer, and the execution of most of the conspirators. The German officers who carried out the assassination attempt believed they could end the war by killing Hitler, but Guderian expressed doubt that Hitler's death would mean anything for Germany.
1) Explain the July 20th plot, including the people involved, the plan for the assassination, how the attack was carried out, and how successful the plan was.
2) Discuss the motivations of the conspirators and explain what they hoped to achieve through their actions.
3) Describe Guderian's attitude towards the assassination attempt, including a discussion of his criticisms of the methods used by the conspirators and their morals.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)