|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What post was Guderian offered after the occupation of the Sudetenland?
2. Late in the first Winter of the campaign against Russia, trucks, and railroads were mostly replaced by what other mode of transportation for supplies?
3. On September 12th, Polish forces near what location surrendered in large numbers?
4. What caused problems in the repair and maintenance of tanks in 1943?
5. What was unusual about the mobile division organized by Guderian under General Lutz's command?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Germany prepare to counter the T34 tank?
2. Why was Hitler affected by his visit to Linz?
3. What was Guderian's military service before World War I?
4. How did Guderian's military career change in 1921?
5. What factors made tank production and maintenance more difficult in 1942?
6. What was the impact of the T34 tank on the German military?
7. Why did the German forces face difficulties during the first winter of the Russian campaign.
8. How did Hitler gain diplomatic approval for the occupation of the Sudetenland?
9. What diplomatic event immediately proceeded the invasion of Poland?
10. Why was Guderian not satisfied after the armistice with France?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Germany's war on the Eastern front quickly became a defensive battle after the stalled offensives of the first winter there and the disasters at Stalingrad and Kursk. However, Hitler failed to adapt to the demands of this style of warfare and the German army suffered significant setbacks as a result. The German army was never able to effectively defend against the advancing Russians.
1) Explain the strategic situation on the Eastern front when Germany went on the defensive.
2) Discuss the recommendations made by Guderian and other German military leaders for the defense of the Eastern front, and explain why Hitler refused to adopt these recommendations.
3) Describe some of the consequences of Hitler's mistakes on the Eastern front, including the loss of German divisions, vital resources, and strategic losses, such as the impact on morale and organization.
Essay Topic 2
As the situation worsened for Germany, Hitler became increasingly distrustful of his generals and began to chastise them for minor acts of disobedience. This trend began soon after the close of the Polish campaign and increased in severity until the end of the war.
1) Discuss the beginnings of Hitler's distrust for his generals. Cite Guderian's first hints Hitler was unsatisfied with his generals.
2) Explain some of the issues Hitler disagreed with his generals on, including defensive positions, strategic goals, and tactical withdrawals.
3) Describe some of the consequences of Hitler's distrust for his generals, including but not limited to the diminishing effectiveness of the German war-machine, the promotion of incompetent generals, and the assassination attempts against Hitler himself.
Essay Topic 3
Germany's sudden invasion of Poland on September 1st, 1939 opened the second World War. The effectiveness and speed of the German advances shocked the world and changed military strategy and tactics instantly. Germany's quick occupation of Poland established it as a prime military power not to be trifled with. Further, it established the tank and the Panzer division as major weapons in this new type of warfare.
1) Explain why Germany went to war with Poland.
2) Discuss the German plan of attack on Poland. What were Germany's specific strategic goals?
3) Discuss Guderian's involvement in the invasion and assess how successful Guderian was as a military leader during this campaign.
4) Describe the importance of the tank and the Panzer division in this invasion.
5) Summarize some of the results of the invasion.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)