|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of vehicle was the Panther?
2. The Sudetenland was located within what nation?
3. What did Guderian do when he reached Brest-Litovsk?
4. What French Channel port was attacked by Guderian first?
5. After the occupation of the Sudetenland, tension with which major nation grew?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors made tank production and maintenance more difficult in 1942?
2. What was Guderian's military service before World War I?
3. What did the Russian army do in Poland during Germany's invasion?
4. Why was Guderian not satisfied after the armistice with France?
5. What was Guderian's mission in the invasion of Poland.
6. What tactical considerations did Guderian insist on in the planning of the invasion of France?
7. Why did Guderian believe France wanted to avoid real fighting?
8. How did Guderian's military career change in 1921?
9. What happened in Linz during the German march on Austria?
10. Why did Hitler forbid ground units to attack the routed English army at Dunkirk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In general, Hitler executed brilliant strategies for the invasion of multiple nations in Europe and achieved military successes almost unrivaled in history. However, he eventually became a victim of his own ambition and failed to adapt to a changing environment in the war. His unrealistic strategic goals in Russia led to the defeat of the German army and the eventual collapse of the Third Reich.
1) Describe the strategic goals in the invasion of Poland and the tactical means employed in order to accomplish them.
2) Explain the final plan that was developed for the invasion of France. Discuss how the channel ports were seized and why they were important strategic goals as well as explaining how the French army was encircled and defeated.
3) Discuss Hitler's plan for the invasion of Russia and list and explain the specific strategic goals of the invasion. Discuss the importance of the decision to attack Kiev instead of Moscow.
Essay Topic 2
The July 20th assassination plot against Hitler ended with the killing of several top German military leaders, the light wounding of the Fuhrer, and the execution of most of the conspirators. The German officers who carried out the assassination attempt believed they could end the war by killing Hitler, but Guderian expressed doubt that Hitler's death would mean anything for Germany.
1) Explain the July 20th plot, including the people involved, the plan for the assassination, how the attack was carried out, and how successful the plan was.
2) Discuss the motivations of the conspirators and explain what they hoped to achieve through their actions.
3) Describe Guderian's attitude towards the assassination attempt, including a discussion of his criticisms of the methods used by the conspirators and their morals.
Essay Topic 3
The German high command considered the invasion of France carefully, discussing several possible plans of attack. The final plan proved to be phenomenally effective and resulted in the quick routing of French and allied forces and the eventual annexation of most of France.
1) Discuss the major plans considered by the German high command for the invasion of France.
2) Explain Guderian's suggestions for the planning of this invasion, and discuss why these suggestions were unorthodox but effective.
3) Summarize the course of the German invasion of France, including a discussion of Guderian's personal involvement.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)