|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What resource in Czechoslovakia proved to be somewhat useful for Germany?
2. The Shlieffen Plan proposed an advance that was strongest where?
3. How many French troops surrendeedr to German forces after their defeat at Belfort?
4. By December of 1941, what hazard killed more German soldiers than enemy action?
5. How were the Germans met in the Sudetenland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in Linz during the German march on Austria?
2. Why was Hitler affected by his visit to Linz?
3. As of March 1942, how was Germany governed?
4. Why did von Kluge threaten to court-martial Guderian and Hoth?
5. What tactical considerations did Guderian insist on in the planning of the invasion of France?
6. What was the impact of the T34 tank on the German military?
7. Why did Hitler forbid ground units to attack the routed English army at Dunkirk?
8. What was the reaction in the Sudetenland when German motorized troops arrived?
9. Why was Guderian not satisfied after the armistice with France?
10. What was Guderian's mission in the invasion of Poland.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The German high command considered the invasion of France carefully, discussing several possible plans of attack. The final plan proved to be phenomenally effective and resulted in the quick routing of French and allied forces and the eventual annexation of most of France.
1) Discuss the major plans considered by the German high command for the invasion of France.
2) Explain Guderian's suggestions for the planning of this invasion, and discuss why these suggestions were unorthodox but effective.
3) Summarize the course of the German invasion of France, including a discussion of Guderian's personal involvement.
Essay Topic 2
The allied landing at Normandy was the largest amphibious invasion in history. The allies took great care to conceal the final location of their attack and to prepare the French coastline for their invasion. For their part, the Germans made many mistakes in assessing the allied invasion and suffered serious setbacks when the allies achieved air superiority.
1) Describe the German plan for the defense of occupied France. Who was in charge of this defense? Was this general well-suited for his task? What special preparations did he make?
2) Explain how allied air superiority affected the German plans for defense of the coastline.
3) Discuss the German response to the invasion. What mistakes were made in this response? Why did Rommel believe the real attack would come elsewhere? Why were German armored units unable to respond and attack the allied beachhead?
Essay Topic 3
During the time Guderian was dismissed from active service, the German armored forces fell into disarray. The Panther and Tiger tanks were introduced, with limited initial success. As divisions were destroyed and tanks fell into disrepair, the entire armored forces threatened to collapse.
1) Explain why the Tiger and Panther tanks were developed and discuss Guderian's opinion as to why they were not initially very effective.
2) Discuss the problems that German tank production, maintenance, and repair faced as the war progressed.
3) Describe some of the problems in organization that faced the German armored forces. How did these circumstances differ from those at the outset of the war?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)