|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Germany annex the remainder of Czechoslovakia?
2. What was unusual about the mobile division organized by Guderian under General Lutz's command?
3. What company worked hard to produce huge and unusual tank designs?
4. After the occupation of the Sudetenland, tension with which major nation grew?
5. What caused problems in the repair and maintenance of tanks in 1943?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hitler forbid ground units to attack the routed English army at Dunkirk?
2. What factors made tank production and maintenance more difficult in 1942?
3. What diplomatic event immediately proceeded the invasion of Poland?
4. How did Germany prepare to counter the T34 tank?
5. Describe some of the advantages of tanks over other military units and formations.
6. What was Guderian's military service before World War I?
7. Describe the Schlieffen Plan for the invasion of France.
8. What was the significance of Kuln to Guderian?
9. What happened in Linz during the German march on Austria?
10. What was the impact of the T34 tank on the German military?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The German high command considered the invasion of France carefully, discussing several possible plans of attack. The final plan proved to be phenomenally effective and resulted in the quick routing of French and allied forces and the eventual annexation of most of France.
1) Discuss the major plans considered by the German high command for the invasion of France.
2) Explain Guderian's suggestions for the planning of this invasion, and discuss why these suggestions were unorthodox but effective.
3) Summarize the course of the German invasion of France, including a discussion of Guderian's personal involvement.
Essay Topic 2
The July 20th assassination plot against Hitler ended with the killing of several top German military leaders, the light wounding of the Fuhrer, and the execution of most of the conspirators. The German officers who carried out the assassination attempt believed they could end the war by killing Hitler, but Guderian expressed doubt that Hitler's death would mean anything for Germany.
1) Explain the July 20th plot, including the people involved, the plan for the assassination, how the attack was carried out, and how successful the plan was.
2) Discuss the motivations of the conspirators and explain what they hoped to achieve through their actions.
3) Describe Guderian's attitude towards the assassination attempt, including a discussion of his criticisms of the methods used by the conspirators and their morals.
Essay Topic 3
Just before launching his attack against Poland, Hitler signed a non-aggression pact with Russia that, in theory, guaranteed peace between these nations for the immediate future. This agreement allowed Hitler to safely and quickly invade Poland with little concern for a Russian attack on his rapidly-advancing and disorganized troops.
1) Explain why Hitler sought and signed the non-aggression pact with Russia. What major strategic advantages did this pact provide for Germany?
2) Discuss the agreement between Germany and Russia to split Poland's territory and explain how this agreement enticed Russia to agree to the deal arrangement and to avoid attacking Germany.
3) Explain how Hitler took advantage of the period of relative peace that the non-aggression pact provided him following the conclusion of the Polish campaign.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)