|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Guderian have difficulty in gaining what he sought while on inactive service?
2. What did General von Kleist order, causing Guderian to threaten to resign?
3. Guderian's concept of the "panzer division" had what distinction?
4. Why did Guderian accept the new post offered to him after the occupation of the Sudetenland?
5. What happened to the Austrian army after the successful German march on that nation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Schlieffen Plan for the invasion of France.
2. How did Germany prepare to counter the T34 tank?
3. As of March 1942, how was Germany governed?
4. How did Guderian's military career change in 1921?
5. When and by whom were tanks first introduced?
6. What was the impact of the T34 tank on the German military?
7. Describe the plan advocated by Field Marshall Manstein for the invasion of France.
8. Why was Guderian not satisfied after the armistice with France?
9. What diplomatic event immediately proceeded the invasion of Poland?
10. What difficulties did Guderian face in the march on Austria?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the war turned against Germany, Hitler began to make increasingly serious defensive blunders, often refusing to allow troops to withdraw to defensible positions or to retreat when overwhelmed by enemy forces. These decisions cost many Germans their lives and turned the course of the war irrevocably against Germany.
1) Identify and explain the events that caused Germany to go on the defensive.
2) Describe, based on the German army's doctrine and mentality, how ready the German forces were to fight a defensive war.
3) Use examples from the book to explain some situations were German military leaders recommended prudent defensive strategies, such as tactical withdrawals.
4) Explain or speculate as to why Hitler refused these recommendations, and explain the consequences of these decisions.
Essay Topic 2
When he was reinstated in the army, Guderian was given the rank of Inspector-General of the Armored Troops. This was a very important position that gave Guderian the authority he had always sought, but it came late in the war and at a time when the organization of the armored troops was in a desperate condition.
1) Explain the reasons Guderian was reinstated into the army and given his new rank.
2) Summarize the responsibilities and authority Guderian gained in his new capacity.
3) Explain how Guderian was able to quickly assemble an effective staff.
4) Discuss the state of the German armored troops at the time Guderian assumed his new command, and discuss the changes that Guderian made to these forces in order to make them effective once again.
Essay Topic 3
After dealing with France, Hitler turned his attention to Russia. He devised another daring plan for quickly annexing an entire nation through a focus on mobile warfare and rapid advances. The initial attacks took the Russian completely by surprise and resulted in huge territorial gains by the Germans. However, the Russians quickly reorganized and began to push the German army back.
1) Explain Hitler's plan for attack against Russia. What were the major strategic goals of the plan? How did Hitler intend to overcome the massive Russian advantage in manpower? What were to be the final goals of the invasion?
2) Summarize the course of the invasion of Russia.
3) Discuss the important strategic decision whether to attack Moscow or Kiev first. What has Hitler's final decision, and what motivated it?
4) Discuss the impact of the T34 tank on the war. How did the Germans respond to this threat?
5) Explain some of the major factors that led to the turn-around of Germany's success in Russia.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)