|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of vehicle was the Panther?
2. What type of vehicle was the Tiger?
3. What resource in Czechoslovakia proved to be somewhat useful for Germany?
4. What nation used tanks in WWI?
5. What was the Luftwaffe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Guderian's military service before World War I?
2. As of March 1942, how was Germany governed?
3. Why did Hitler forbid ground units to attack the routed English army at Dunkirk?
4. What happened in Linz during the German march on Austria?
5. In 1933, how did the various leaders of the German military feel about tanks?
6. Why was Hitler affected by his visit to Linz?
7. How did Germany prepare to counter the T34 tank?
8. What did Guderian do while on inactive service?
9. What happened to the rest of Czechoslovakia after Germany occupied the Sudetenland?
10. How did Hitler gain diplomatic approval for the occupation of the Sudetenland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In general, Hitler executed brilliant strategies for the invasion of multiple nations in Europe and achieved military successes almost unrivaled in history. However, he eventually became a victim of his own ambition and failed to adapt to a changing environment in the war. His unrealistic strategic goals in Russia led to the defeat of the German army and the eventual collapse of the Third Reich.
1) Describe the strategic goals in the invasion of Poland and the tactical means employed in order to accomplish them.
2) Explain the final plan that was developed for the invasion of France. Discuss how the channel ports were seized and why they were important strategic goals as well as explaining how the French army was encircled and defeated.
3) Discuss Hitler's plan for the invasion of Russia and list and explain the specific strategic goals of the invasion. Discuss the importance of the decision to attack Kiev instead of Moscow.
Essay Topic 2
Hitler's plan for the invasion of Russia assumed the campaign would be concluded before the next winter, an assumption that proved to be disastrously wrong. As the Russian winter set in, the organization of German forces fell apart and the army suffered major setbacks and defeats.
1) Explain some of the problems in Germany's preparations for the Russian winter.
2) Discuss the difficulties the Russian winter presented the German army with.
3) Describe the ways the Russian forces took advantage of German disorganization during this time.
4) Summarize the impact of the Russian winter on German morale and war-fighting capability.
Essay Topic 3
During the time Guderian was dismissed from active service, the German armored forces fell into disarray. The Panther and Tiger tanks were introduced, with limited initial success. As divisions were destroyed and tanks fell into disrepair, the entire armored forces threatened to collapse.
1) Explain why the Tiger and Panther tanks were developed and discuss Guderian's opinion as to why they were not initially very effective.
2) Discuss the problems that German tank production, maintenance, and repair faced as the war progressed.
3) Describe some of the problems in organization that faced the German armored forces. How did these circumstances differ from those at the outset of the war?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)