Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of vehicle was the Panther?
2. What did Guderian seek while on inactive service?
3. What year did Hitler come into power in Germany?
4. Why was Guderian removed from his command by von Kluge?
5. What German commander demanded the glory of destroying the English army at Dunkirk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did von Kluge threaten to court-martial Guderian and Hoth?
2. Describe the Schlieffen Plan for the invasion of France.
3. What problems did the German General Staff face in the inter-war period?
4. How did Hitler gain diplomatic approval for the occupation of the Sudetenland?
5. What personal danger did Guderian face in Chapter 12?
6. What was the reaction in the Sudetenland when German motorized troops arrived?
7. How well did Himmler fare as the leader of Army Group Vistula?
8. Explain the forces that made up a panzer division.
9. What diplomatic event immediately proceeded the invasion of Poland?
10. What was the impact of the T34 tank on the German military?
As the war wound down and allied forces converged on the heart of Germany, Hitler and his top advisers refused to admit defeat and repeatedly neglected to agree to armistices. This refusal cost the lives of a huge number of soldiers and civilians.
1) Explain the opportunities Hitler had to surrender to the allies on reasonable terms. Include examples of suggestions made by both the allies and by other German leaders.
2) Discuss the reasons Hitler and his advisers refused to surrender until the war was completely and hopelessly lost.
3) Explain some of the consequences of this refusal, including the loss of life and the increasingly desperate situation for German civilians.
Hitler's plan for the invasion of Russia assumed the campaign would be concluded before the next winter, an assumption that proved to be disastrously wrong. As the Russian winter set in, the organization of German forces fell apart and the army suffered major setbacks and defeats.
1) Explain some of the problems in Germany's preparations for the Russian winter.
2) Discuss the difficulties the Russian winter presented the German army with.
3) Describe the ways the Russian forces took advantage of German disorganization during this time.
4) Summarize the impact of the Russian winter on German morale and war-fighting capability.
The German high command considered the invasion of France carefully, discussing several possible plans of attack. The final plan proved to be phenomenally effective and resulted in the quick routing of French and allied forces and the eventual annexation of most of France.
1) Discuss the major plans considered by the German high command for the invasion of France.
2) Explain Guderian's suggestions for the planning of this invasion, and discuss why these suggestions were unorthodox but effective.
3) Summarize the course of the German invasion of France, including a discussion of Guderian's personal involvement.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)