|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year did Hitler come into power in Germany?
2. After World War I, the German army was limited to how many men?
3. How many Panzer divisions were formed by 1935?
4. What was Guderian's father's profession?
5. What happened to the Austrian army after the successful German march on that nation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tactical considerations did Guderian insist on in the planning of the invasion of France?
2. What was Guderian's military service before World War I?
3. What diplomatic event immediately proceeded the invasion of Poland?
4. What difficulties did Guderian face in the march on Austria?
5. What did Guderian do while on inactive service?
6. What was Guderian's mission in the invasion of Poland.
7. What happened to the rest of Czechoslovakia after Germany occupied the Sudetenland?
8. Describe some of the advantages of tanks over other military units and formations.
9. What was Guderian unsettled by during the interlude between campaigns?
10. What was the impact of the T34 tank on the German military?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the situation worsened for Germany, Hitler became increasingly distrustful of his generals and began to chastise them for minor acts of disobedience. This trend began soon after the close of the Polish campaign and increased in severity until the end of the war.
1) Discuss the beginnings of Hitler's distrust for his generals. Cite Guderian's first hints Hitler was unsatisfied with his generals.
2) Explain some of the issues Hitler disagreed with his generals on, including defensive positions, strategic goals, and tactical withdrawals.
3) Describe some of the consequences of Hitler's distrust for his generals, including but not limited to the diminishing effectiveness of the German war-machine, the promotion of incompetent generals, and the assassination attempts against Hitler himself.
Essay Topic 2
The allied landing at Normandy was the largest amphibious invasion in history. The allies took great care to conceal the final location of their attack and to prepare the French coastline for their invasion. For their part, the Germans made many mistakes in assessing the allied invasion and suffered serious setbacks when the allies achieved air superiority.
1) Describe the German plan for the defense of occupied France. Who was in charge of this defense? Was this general well-suited for his task? What special preparations did he make?
2) Explain how allied air superiority affected the German plans for defense of the coastline.
3) Discuss the German response to the invasion. What mistakes were made in this response? Why did Rommel believe the real attack would come elsewhere? Why were German armored units unable to respond and attack the allied beachhead?
Essay Topic 3
Just before launching his attack against Poland, Hitler signed a non-aggression pact with Russia that, in theory, guaranteed peace between these nations for the immediate future. This agreement allowed Hitler to safely and quickly invade Poland with little concern for a Russian attack on his rapidly-advancing and disorganized troops.
1) Explain why Hitler sought and signed the non-aggression pact with Russia. What major strategic advantages did this pact provide for Germany?
2) Discuss the agreement between Germany and Russia to split Poland's territory and explain how this agreement enticed Russia to agree to the deal arrangement and to avoid attacking Germany.
3) Explain how Hitler took advantage of the period of relative peace that the non-aggression pact provided him following the conclusion of the Polish campaign.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)