|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What French Channel port was attacked by Guderian first?
2. On September 12th, Polish forces near what location surrendered in large numbers?
3. What was the Luftwaffe?
4. What company worked hard to produce huge and unusual tank designs?
5. What military units were crucial in breaking through the northern part of the Maginot Line?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the significance of Kuln to Guderian?
2. What was Guderian's mission in the invasion of Poland.
3. What was Guderian's military service before World War I?
4. Why did Guderian believe France wanted to avoid real fighting?
5. How did Germany prepare to counter the T34 tank?
6. Why did Hitler forbid ground units to attack the routed English army at Dunkirk?
7. What factors made tank production and maintenance more difficult in 1942?
8. What was Guderian unsettled by during the interlude between campaigns?
9. Describe the Schlieffen Plan for the invasion of France.
10. When and by whom were tanks first introduced?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hitler's plan for the invasion of Russia assumed the campaign would be concluded before the next winter, an assumption that proved to be disastrously wrong. As the Russian winter set in, the organization of German forces fell apart and the army suffered major setbacks and defeats.
1) Explain some of the problems in Germany's preparations for the Russian winter.
2) Discuss the difficulties the Russian winter presented the German army with.
3) Describe the ways the Russian forces took advantage of German disorganization during this time.
4) Summarize the impact of the Russian winter on German morale and war-fighting capability.
Essay Topic 2
During the time Guderian was dismissed from active service, the German armored forces fell into disarray. The Panther and Tiger tanks were introduced, with limited initial success. As divisions were destroyed and tanks fell into disrepair, the entire armored forces threatened to collapse.
1) Explain why the Tiger and Panther tanks were developed and discuss Guderian's opinion as to why they were not initially very effective.
2) Discuss the problems that German tank production, maintenance, and repair faced as the war progressed.
3) Describe some of the problems in organization that faced the German armored forces. How did these circumstances differ from those at the outset of the war?
Essay Topic 3
As the war turned against Germany, Hitler began to make increasingly serious defensive blunders, often refusing to allow troops to withdraw to defensible positions or to retreat when overwhelmed by enemy forces. These decisions cost many Germans their lives and turned the course of the war irrevocably against Germany.
1) Identify and explain the events that caused Germany to go on the defensive.
2) Describe, based on the German army's doctrine and mentality, how ready the German forces were to fight a defensive war.
3) Use examples from the book to explain some situations were German military leaders recommended prudent defensive strategies, such as tactical withdrawals.
4) Explain or speculate as to why Hitler refused these recommendations, and explain the consequences of these decisions.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)