|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Guderian compared Hitler to what other famous historical leader?
2. What did Guderian convince Himmler to do?
(a) Turn himself in for arrest.
(b) Give up his military post.
(c) Surrender his forces.
(d) Endorse Guderian for a promotion.
3. What happened to the German General Staff after WWI?
(a) It was controlled by the French and English.
(b) Its meetings were monitored by the allies.
(c) It was halved in size.
(d) It was disbanded.
4. On July 18th, Guderian received a report that von Kluge intended to do what?
(a) Launch a huge offensive.
(b) Defect to the allies.
(c) Declare an armistice in the West.
(d) Surrender his forces.
5. Guderian described Hitler as being prone to panic in what situations?
(a) After an offensive failed.
(b) When his advisers turned against him.
(c) When his forces were outnumbered.
(d) When things began to go wrong.
Short Answer Questions
1. Guderian estimated the war could only continue for a few more weeks if what critical area was taken?
2. How did most of the younger officers in the German General Staff react to the Nazi's rise to power?
3. What major problem limited tank production in late 1943?
4. What was the German General Staff's opinion towards entering the war?
5. When Guderian was promoted to Inspector-General of the Armored Troops, the German infantry largely lacked what vital weapon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How well did Himmler fare as the leader of Army Group Vistula?
2. What rumor did Guderian hear about Field Marshal von Kluge on July 18th?
3. What factors caused the German General Staff to adopt strategies for motorized and tank warfare?
4. What happened when the Russians invaded German-allied Romania?
5. What defensive mistakes did Hitler constantly make during the allied advances in Europe?
6. According to Guderian, how did Hitler come to power?
7. What personal danger did Guderian face in Chapter 12?
8. Summarize Guderian's opinion of Hitler's overall strategic mistakes.
9. What problem limited production in Germany in 1943?
10. What special authority did Guderian seek from general Schmundt?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)