|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did von Kluge do after he was replaced by Model?
(a) He requested a reassingment.
(b) He tried to take Guderian down with him.
(c) He formally protested.
(d) He killed himself.
2. Guderian describeed Germany as being controlled in what way?
(a) By the Nazi Party alone.
(b) By district organizers.
(c) By many different organizations.
(d) By corrupt kleptocrats.
3. Why was Guderian interrogated following the evacuation of Warsaw?
(a) He organized the evacuation.
(b) He refused to engage the Russians.
(c) He defended the officers responsible.
(d) He botched the evacuation.
4. What happened when Guderian was called to meet with Hitler, following the assassination attempt of July 20th?
(a) He was promoted.
(b) He was transfered to a new command.
(c) He was demoted.
(d) He was threatened with arrest.
5. What was the German General Staff's opinion towards entering the war?
(a) They were eager to enter a war.
(b) They were unsure of German capabilities.
(c) They were overconfident in German capabilities.
(d) They were happy to avoid war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Guderian's assessment of Goering's leadership?
2. What did Hitler demand to punish the SS division that failed in its attack on Hungary?
3. In Guderian's story about the Court of Honor, what did the soldier do instead of killing himself?
4. What problem did the German General Staff face after 1933?
5. Guderian advocated what defensive strategy for the Eastern front?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rumor did Guderian hear about Field Marshal von Kluge on July 18th?
2. Summarize Guderian's opinion of Hitler's overall strategic mistakes.
3. What major attack did Hitler order for Army Group Vistula during the events of Chapter 12?
4. What war did the tradition of the German General Staff date back to?
5. What kind of audience did Guderian seek in Chapter 12?
6. What problems did the German General Staff face in the inter-war period?
7. How did Guderian quickly create an effective staff for his new command as Inspector-General of the Armored Troops?
8. What problem limited production in Germany in 1943?
9. Why was Guderian relieved from his command after the failed attack on the fortress?
10. What faults did Guderian credit for Hitler's declining capabilities?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)