|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What achievement was Hitler astonished to discover when he visited the troops in Poland?
(a) The Polish soldiers wanted to join the German army.
(b) Tanks had destroyed whole Polish artillery positions.
(c) The tanks were effective against enemy infantry.
(d) The mobile infantry had suffered almost no losses.
2. What was the model number of the new tank, believed to be superior to German tanks, that Russia put into combat for the first time during the fighting around Smolensk?
3. When was the attack against Poland initiated?
(a) July 3rd.
(b) December 7th.
(c) September 1st.
(d) August 12th.
4. When was Heinz Guderian born?
5. What happened to von Fritsch, Blomberg, and Lutz at about the same time Guderian was promoted in 1938?
(a) They were tried for treason.
(b) They defected.
(c) They were demoted.
(d) They were also promoted.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Luftwaffe?
2. What was Guderian's strategic goal in the invasion of Poland?
3. What difficulty did Guderian face in attempting to cross the Narev River?
4. What did General von Kleist order, causing Guderian to threaten to resign?
5. How are the fortresses at Belfort reduced and captured?
Short Essay Questions
1. What argument did Guderian have with the German high command about how to prevent the Russians from forming a defensive line?
2. What post did Hitler want to promote Guderian to; why was Guderian hesitant, and what was the outcome of the offer?
3. How did Guderian's military career change in 1921?
4. In 1933, how did the various leaders of the German military feel about tanks?
5. Why did the German forces face difficulties during the first winter of the Russian campaign.
6. What did Guderian do while on inactive service?
7. What was Guderian unsettled by during the interlude between campaigns?
8. As of March 1942, how was Germany governed?
9. What happened in Linz during the German march on Austria?
10. What did the Russian army do in Poland during Germany's invasion?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)