|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On July 18th, Guderian received a report that von Kluge intended to do what?
(a) Declare an armistice in the West.
(b) Surrender his forces.
(c) Launch a huge offensive.
(d) Defect to the allies.
2. What major problem limited tank production in late 1943?
(a) Lack of manpower.
(b) Complexity of tank designs.
(c) The diversion of resources toward rocket production.
(d) Allied bombing.
3. The OKH controlled the German army during the invasion of what major country?
4. What German military leader held the same position as Keitel and shared a similar fate?
(d) Von Brauchitsch.
5. What was the German General Staff's opinion towards entering the war?
(a) They were unsure of German capabilities.
(b) They were overconfident in German capabilities.
(c) They were happy to avoid war.
(d) They were eager to enter a war.
6. During Germany's final collapse, Guderian sought an audience with Hitler and what other major leader?
7. Following the allied breakout from Normany, German forces retreated to what region?
(a) The Maginot line.
(b) The Ardennes.
(d) The West Wall.
8. The OKW was created to act as which of the following?
(a) A logistical support organization.
(b) A control mechanism.
(c) A puppet government for Hitler.
(d) A mouthpiece for Goebbels.
9. Guderian describeed Germany as being controlled in what way?
(a) By district organizers.
(b) By many different organizations.
(c) By corrupt kleptocrats.
(d) By the Nazi Party alone.
10. How did Guderian feel about the coup plotters of July 20th?
(a) He wished he had joined them.
(b) He saw them as traitors.
(c) He saw them as heroes.
(d) He felt their methods were flawed.
11. According to Guderian, why was the German military unable to oppose Hitler?
(a) He has too many political connections.
(b) He was a charismatic leader.
(c) He was from the military himself.
(d) He was highly successful.
12. What German forces were engaged in the Ardennes Offensive?
(a) Five panzer corps.
(b) The XIX corps.
(c) Two panzer armies.
(d) Ten motorized infantry divisions.
13. What did Guderian think about the bomb plot?
(a) It was extremely foolish.
(b) It was treason.
(c) It could not have helped Germany.
(d) It was a noble gesture.
14. Which of the following does Guderian NOT cite as a reason for Hitler's declining capabilities?
(a) His advanced age.
(b) His drug use.
(c) His tendency to stay up late.
(d) His lack of personal connections.
15. Guderian described Hitler as being brave in what situations?
(a) When things looked worst.
(b) During the execution of offensives.
(c) When facing significant opposition.
(d) During the planning of attacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Guderian's story about the Court of Honor, what happened to the soldier, which gave the other soldier the chance to kill himself?
2. What happened when Guderian was called to meet with Hitler, following the assassination attempt of July 20th?
3. How many panzer divisions did Guderian manage to scrape together for the Western front?
4. What did Hitler order Guderian to do after their final confrontation?
5. What problem did the German General Staff face after 1933?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)