|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Guderian claimed that Hitler became obsessed with which of the following after Stalingrad?
(a) Armored warfare.
(b) Never surrendering.
(c) Protecting himself.
(d) Defeating Stalin.
2. How did Guderian feel about the coup plotters of July 20th?
(a) He felt their methods were flawed.
(b) He wished he had joined them.
(c) He saw them as traitors.
(d) He saw them as heroes.
3. How did most of the younger officers in the German General Staff react to the Nazi's rise to power?
(a) They prepared to oppose them.
(b) They were excited.
(c) They left the country.
(d) They were frightened.
4. Guderian claimed that Himmler has strange fantasies about the German people colonizing what area?
5. Guderian describeed Germany as being controlled in what way?
(a) By many different organizations.
(b) By the Nazi Party alone.
(c) By district organizers.
(d) By corrupt kleptocrats.
6. Guderian described Hitler as being brave in what situations?
(a) When facing significant opposition.
(b) When things looked worst.
(c) During the execution of offensives.
(d) During the planning of attacks.
7. What was Guderian's association with the "Court of Honor"?
(a) He was only nominally involved with it.
(b) He was its head judge.
(c) He created it.
(d) He held veto power over its decisions.
8. In Guderian's story about the Court of Honor, what happened to the soldier, which gave the other soldier the chance to kill himself?
(a) He was killed under mysterious circumstances.
(b) He was shot for treason.
(c) He went free.
(d) He was demoted.
9. Where did Rommel believe the Allies would make their major amphibious invasion?
(a) The Netherlands.
(c) The mouth of the Somme.
10. What resource did Hitler want to protect near Lake Balaton in Hungary?
(a) Oil fields.
(b) Copper and iron mines.
(c) Industrial facilities.
(d) The civilian population.
11. The revolt in what occupied city was put down with brutal violence by October 2nd?
12. What new commander of Army Group Vistula was ordered to relieve a surrounded fortress?
13. What problem did the German General Staff face after 1933?
(a) Difficulty adapting to new technologies.
(b) An insuffiiciently large army.
(c) Swelling ranks.
(d) A lack of leadership.
14. What factor demoralized Rommel on the Western front?
(a) Lack of a serviceable heavy tank.
(b) Lack of anti-tank weapons.
(c) Allied air-superiority.
(d) The poor training of his men.
15. Why was Guderian interrogated following the evacuation of Warsaw?
(a) He organized the evacuation.
(b) He botched the evacuation.
(c) He defended the officers responsible.
(d) He refused to engage the Russians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurred in Romania, following the routing of the German-allied Romanian troops?
2. Guderian advocated what defensive strategy for the Eastern front?
3. In Guderian's story about the Court of Honor, what did the soldier do instead of killing himself?
4. What was von Kluge suspected of, following the assassination attempt of July 20th?
5. What did Guderian want to send to Africa to help stabilize the collapsing front there?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)