|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was von Kluge suspected of, following the assassination attempt of July 20th?
(a) Being complicit in the attack.
(b) Spying for the allies.
(c) Giving information to the allies.
(d) Planning the attack.
2. Why was Guderian interrogated following the evacuation of Warsaw?
(a) He botched the evacuation.
(b) He refused to engage the Russians.
(c) He organized the evacuation.
(d) He defended the officers responsible.
3. About how many German soldiers were lost when Army Group Center was encircled on the Eastern front?
4. What was Hitler's reaction to the assassination attempt?
(a) He was calm.
(b) He was determined to seek revenge.
(c) He was unmoved.
(d) He was livid.
5. What did Guderian convince Himmler to do?
(a) Turn himself in for arrest.
(b) Surrender his forces.
(c) Give up his military post.
(d) Endorse Guderian for a promotion.
6. Guderian described Hitler as being prone to panic in what situations?
(a) After an offensive failed.
(b) When his advisers turned against him.
(c) When his forces were outnumbered.
(d) When things began to go wrong.
7. What major problem limited tank production in late 1943?
(a) Lack of manpower.
(b) Complexity of tank designs.
(c) The diversion of resources toward rocket production.
(d) Allied bombing.
8. The revolt in what occupied city was put down with brutal violence by October 2nd?
9. What recommendation did Hitler make to Guderian, during their discussions, during the events of Chapter 12?
(a) He should take over the armed forces.
(b) He should make his own decisions.
(c) He should kill himself.
(d) He should go on sick leave.
10. Where did Rommel believe the Allies would make their major amphibious invasion?
(b) The Netherlands.
(c) The mouth of the Somme.
11. The OKW was created to act as which of the following?
(a) A control mechanism.
(b) A logistical support organization.
(c) A mouthpiece for Goebbels.
(d) A puppet government for Hitler.
12. On July 18th, Guderian received a report that von Kluge intended to do what?
(a) Defect to the allies.
(b) Surrender his forces.
(c) Declare an armistice in the West.
(d) Launch a huge offensive.
13. What did von Kluge do after he was replaced by Model?
(a) He killed himself.
(b) He requested a reassingment.
(c) He formally protested.
(d) He tried to take Guderian down with him.
14. Guderian advocated what defensive strategy for the Eastern front?
(a) Defense in depth.
(b) Feigned retreats.
(c) Retreat to a strong defensive line.
(d) Frequent counter-attacks.
15. According to Guderian, why was the German military unable to oppose Hitler?
(a) He was a charismatic leader.
(b) He was highly successful.
(c) He was from the military himself.
(d) He has too many political connections.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did most of the younger officers in the German General Staff react to the Nazi's rise to power?
2. Who originated the term "Blitzkrieg"?
3. In October of 1944, Guderian managed to stop the Russian advance in what region?
4. What did von Kluge attempt to do to Guderian?
5. Guderian was horrified when the command of the newly formed Army Group Vistula was given to what commander?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)