|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disadvantage did the Russians face in their defense of the region around Smolensk?
(a) Their forces were mostly militia.
(b) They had lost their chain of command.
(c) They had no winter clothing.
(d) They had no air force.
2. What achievement was Hitler astonished to discover when he visited the troops in Poland?
(a) The Polish soldiers wanted to join the German army.
(b) The mobile infantry had suffered almost no losses.
(c) Tanks had destroyed whole Polish artillery positions.
(d) The tanks were effective against enemy infantry.
3. Germany's first experimental medium tanks had guns with what diameter of bore?
4. What agreement did Germany reach with Russia shortly before the invasion of Poland?
(a) A trade agreement of coal for oil.
(b) A secret alliance.
(c) A non-aggression pact.
(d) A mutual defense pact.
5. What command was Guderian given in the preparation for the invasion of Poland?
(a) The XIX Army Corps.
(b) The SS "Viking" Panzer Division.
(c) Army Group V.
(d) The Combined Armored Corps.
6. What post was Guderian offered after the occupation of the Sudetenland?
(a) General of the Panzer Armies.
(b) Mobile Operations Commisar.
(c) East Army Commandant.
(d) General of the Mobile Command.
7. What German commander demanded the glory of destroying the English army at Dunkirk?
(a) Himmler and the SS.
(b) Goering and the Luftwaffe.
(c) Rommel and his IX Corps.
(d) General von Kliest and his XII Corps.
8. What company worked hard to produce huge and unusual tank designs?
(a) I.G. Farben.
9. What units was Guderian given command over for the attack on Brest-Litovsk?
(a) The 2nd Mobile Corps.
(b) The 7th, 8th, and 9th Motorized Divisions.
(c) The XX Army Corps.
(d) The 3rd and 10th Panzer Divisions.
10. What happened to von Fritsch, Blomberg, and Lutz at about the same time Guderian was promoted in 1938?
(a) They were tried for treason.
(b) They were also promoted.
(c) They defected.
(d) They were demoted.
11. What was Germany's next target after Czeckoslovakia?
12. What rank did Guderian achieve in 1938?
(a) Field Marshal.
(c) Lieutenant General.
(d) Major General.
13. The Sudetenland was located within what nation?
14. When was Heinz Guderian born?
15. In what branch was Guderian called to serve in 1921?
(a) The Mechanized Army.
(b) The General Staff.
(c) The Air Ministry.
(d) The Home Front.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the fighting around Smolensk, Von Kluge threatened to court-martial Guderian and what other German leader?
2. The Shlieffen Plan proposed an advance that was strongest where?
3. Guderian suggested a plan for the Western campaign that had what characteristic?
4. What was the first major action taken by Guderian against Brest-Litovosk?
5. After the occupation of the Sudetenland, tension with which major nation grew?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)