|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the diplomatic result of Germany's invasion of Poland?
(a) The United States entered the war.
(b) England and France promised to protect other European countries.
(c) Russia declared war on both Poland and Germany.
(d) England and France declared war on Germany.
2. What type of vehicle was the Panther?
(a) A heavy tank.
(b) An armored personnel carrier.
(c) A light tank.
(d) A tank-destroyer.
3. Late in the first Winter of the campaign against Russia, trucks, and railroads were mostly replaced by what other mode of transportation for supplies?
4. When was Heinz Guderian born?
5. In the end, what plan did Hitler adopt?
(a) The Guderian plan.
(b) His own plan.
(c) The Schlieffen plan.
(d) The Manstein plan.
6. What was Guderian's strategic goal in the invasion of Poland?
(a) To harass the Polish rear area.
(b) To surround and capture Warsaw.
(c) To cross the River Brahe.
(d) To cut the trans-national railway at three points.
7. What was Guderian's father's profession?
(b) Military officer.
8. By December of 1941, what hazard killed more German soldiers than enemy action?
9. How were the Germans met in the Sudetenland?
(a) With suspicion.
(b) With token hostile resistance.
(c) With flowers.
(d) As occupying foreigners.
10. What was the first major action taken by Guderian against Brest-Litovosk?
(a) An armored column penetrated the outer defenses of the city.
(b) A motorized division stormed the city, but was repulsed.
(c) A force of armored vehicles scouted its defenses.
(d) SS infantry infiltrated the city at night.
11. When did the "Breakthrough to the Channel" begin?
(a) January 2nd, 1940.
(b) December 28th, 1939.
(c) August 9th, 1940.
(d) May 10th, 1940.
12. When did Germany annex the remainder of Czechoslovakia?
(a) May 1939.
(b) November 1938.
(c) December 1938.
(d) September 1939.
13. What happened to the Austrian army after the successful German march on that nation?
(a) It was reduced to a small fraction of its original size.
(b) It was disbanded.
(c) It was incorporated into the German army.
(d) It was turned into a police force.
14. What city did Guderian plan to capture in the first 6 days of the invasion of Russia?
15. What caused problems in the repair and maintenance of tanks in 1943?
(a) Allied bombing.
(b) Lack of strategic resources.
(c) Constant modifications to tank designs.
(d) Lack of trained personnel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Germany's next target after Czeckoslovakia?
2. What was unusual about the mobile division organized by Guderian under General Lutz's command?
3. What Russian city did the German Army General Staff still hope that Guderian could take as late as November of 1941?
4. On September 12th, Polish forces near what location surrendered in large numbers?
5. The Shlieffen Plan proposed an advance that was strongest where?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)