|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prevented Guderian from taking advantage of his right to choose property in Germany?
(a) He was seriously ill.
(b) He had too many political enemies.
(c) He was not liked at home.
(d) He could not get to Berlin.
2. What was the first major action taken by Guderian against Brest-Litovosk?
(a) A force of armored vehicles scouted its defenses.
(b) SS infantry infiltrated the city at night.
(c) An armored column penetrated the outer defenses of the city.
(d) A motorized division stormed the city, but was repulsed.
3. What disadvantage did the Russians face in their defense of the region around Smolensk?
(a) Their forces were mostly militia.
(b) They had lost their chain of command.
(c) They had no winter clothing.
(d) They had no air force.
4. Why was Guderian gratified to reach Kulm?
(a) It held the supplies he needed to advance further.
(b) It was his final strategic goal in the war.
(c) It meant the war with Poland was won.
(d) It was his birthplace.
5. What year did Hitler come into power in Germany?
6. What difficulty did Guderian face in attempting to cross the Narev River?
(a) Fierce Polish resistance.
(b) Intense artillery shelling.
(d) A shortage of bridging equipment.
7. In what branch was Guderian called to serve in 1921?
(a) The General Staff.
(b) The Air Ministry.
(c) The Home Front.
(d) The Mechanized Army.
8. How are the fortresses at Belfort reduced and captured?
(a) By sending in infantry covered by an artillery bombardment.
(b) By siege.
(c) By direct assault by tanks.
(d) By using nerve gas.
9. Field Marshal Manstein advocated a strategy that would center on an invasion of Belgium and what other nation?
(d) The Netherlands.
10. Panzer divisions did NOT include which of the following?
(a) Motorized infantry.
(b) Mobile anti-air vehicles.
(c) Anti-tank weapons.
11. What was the diplomatic result of Germany's invasion of Poland?
(a) England and France promised to protect other European countries.
(b) England and France declared war on Germany.
(c) The United States entered the war.
(d) Russia declared war on both Poland and Germany.
12. What was the first city that Guderian attacked in France?
13. When did Germany annex the remainder of Czechoslovakia?
(a) December 1938.
(b) September 1939.
(c) May 1939.
(d) November 1938.
14. Why did Guderian have difficulty in gaining what he sought while on inactive service?
(a) Hitler's totalitarian dictatorship.
(b) His lack of political connections.
(c) His lack of noble breeding.
(d) Von Kluge's influence in the General Staff.
15. When was Heinz Guderian born?
Short Answer Questions
1. What military units were crucial in breaking through the northern part of the Maginot Line?
2. At the time of Germany's invasion of Russia, how many tanks were produced yearly in Germany?
3. Why was Hitler so affected by his arrival in a particular Austrian city?
4. Guderian suggested a plan for the Western campaign that had what characteristic?
5. What conference led to the incorporation of the Sudetenland into Germany?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)