|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the code name for the German invasion of Russia?
(a) Sea lion.
2. Why was Guderian gratified to reach Kulm?
(a) It meant the war with Poland was won.
(b) It was his birthplace.
(c) It was his final strategic goal in the war.
(d) It held the supplies he needed to advance further.
3. What did Guderian do when he reached Brest-Litovsk?
(a) He sent scouts into the city.
(b) He demanded Polish forces surrender.
(c) He began an artillery bobmardment.
(d) He surrounded the city.
4. What was the state of strategic thinking about the use of tanks in the German high command as of 1938?
(a) They were not accepted as effective weapons.
(b) There was complete agreement about their use.
(c) They had become the center of the German military.
(d) There was still disagreement about their use.
5. When was the attack against Poland initiated?
(a) September 1st.
(b) August 12th.
(c) December 7th.
(d) July 3rd.
6. Germany's first experimental medium tanks had guns with what diameter of bore?
7. Why did Guderian have difficulty in gaining what he sought while on inactive service?
(a) His lack of political connections.
(b) Von Kluge's influence in the General Staff.
(c) Hitler's totalitarian dictatorship.
(d) His lack of noble breeding.
8. By December of 1941, what hazard killed more German soldiers than enemy action?
9. Where did Guderian see and drive his first tank?
10. In what branch was Guderian called to serve in 1921?
(a) The Mechanized Army.
(b) The General Staff.
(c) The Home Front.
(d) The Air Ministry.
11. Why was Guderian removed from his command by von Kluge?
(a) He lost most of his tanks in a pitched battle.
(b) He ordered a withdrawal.
(c) He disobeyed a direct order from Hitler.
(d) He bungled an offensive.
12. What disadvantage did the Russians face in their defense of the region around Smolensk?
(a) They had lost their chain of command.
(b) Their forces were mostly militia.
(c) They had no air force.
(d) They had no winter clothing.
13. What agreement did Germany reach with Russia shortly before the invasion of Poland?
(a) A non-aggression pact.
(b) A secret alliance.
(c) A trade agreement of coal for oil.
(d) A mutual defense pact.
14. Guderian suggested a plan for the Western campaign that had what characteristic?
(a) Penetration without regard to flanks.
(b) Mobile fronts and supply lines.
(c) Attacks from multiple fronts.
(d) Close air and ground support.
15. What type of vehicle was the Panther?
(a) A light tank.
(b) A heavy tank.
(c) An armored personnel carrier.
(d) A tank-destroyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What major advantage did tanks have over artillery?
2. What was Guderian's father's profession?
3. Why did Guderian believe the French wanted to avoid real fighting?
4. What was the first city that Guderian attacked in France?
5. Guderian became an instructor on what subjects?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)