Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pamela overhears a conversation between Mr. B and Mrs. Jewkes in Section 8. What aspect of this conversation causes a change in her attitude to Mr. B?
2. When Mr. B asks Pamela what she will do if she is unable to interact with other ladies after they are married, how does Pamela respond?
3. Because the author treats the actual wedding in such an incidental way, this event could be described as a let-down or disappointment to readers expecting a big event. Which of the following terms would best describe such a let-down or disappointment?
4. How does Mr. B try to convince Pamela that he will be faithful and true?
5. How do Pamela and Lady Davers try to deal with Mr. B's rage?
Essay Topic 1
It is reasonable to assume that the author thought carefully about the alternative title "Or Virtue Rewarded". Compare and contrast the relative merits and demerits of the titles "Pamela" and "Virtue Rewarded"
Essay Topic 2
Outline the characteristics of "the novel of manners" and discuss the evidence that "Pamela" deserves this classification.
Essay Topic 3
The novel is essentially a story about the theme of resisting the advances of a wealthy master. Explain the characteristics of the society in which the novel is set, makes this story line a viable one and comment on whether it would be equally viable in the modern world.
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)