|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What important aspects of Pamela's character are revealed in the series of confrontations that occur with Lady Davers because of her reaction to Pamela's marriage?
2. Why is it useful for the author to bring Pamela back to Bedfordshire after her marriage?
3. How does Pamela feel when the young ladies from the gentry invite her to join them for dinner?
4. How does Mr. B occupy himself in the days after he and Pamela return to Bedfordshire?
5. In the series of confrontations that occur with Lady Davers because of her reaction to Pamela's marriage, what important attitude does Mr. B display that will be necessary in a marriage to someone with Pamela's background?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author treat the actual wedding of Pamela and Mr. B and with what possible effects?
2. In Section 14, following their departure from the gentry in Lincolnshire, what events follow the return of Pamela and Mr. B to the estate in Bedfordshire?
3. What is achieved by the author causing Lady Davers to oppose the relationship between Pamela and Mr. B when she visits them in Lincolnshire.
4. As the newly married couple settle down in Bedforshire, how does the author demonstrate Pamela's adjustment to her new way of life?
5. In Section 8, how do the events involving news of a sham marriage and Pamela's departure from Lincolnshire lead to changes in the emotions of both Mr. B and Pamela?
6. What is the significance of the author's decision to return Pamela to Bedfordshire for the end of the story?
7. Who makes a surprise visit to Pamela and Mr. B in Section 10 and what transpires during the visit?
8. How are Mr. B's generosity and desire to please Pamela demonstrated in Section 12?
9. What events follow the reading of Pamela's papers by Mr. B?
10. What incident occurs in Section 12 that fulfills the reader's expectation of trouble from Lady Davers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes in "Pamela" is the impact of prejudice and preconceived notions on the reactions of various individuals and groups. Discuss in detail the instances in which prejudice and preconceived notions are revealed in the story and comment on the extent to which they represent problems in real-life situations.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the roles of the three most active minor characters in "Pamela". To what extent do they contribute to conflict in the story and how do they assist in the resolution of such conflict?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of Mr. B presenting reasons for your portrayal and commenting on the impact of his behavior on the reader at different stages of the plot.
This section contains 1,507 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)