|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pamela overhears a conversation between Mr. B and Mrs. Jewkes in Section 8. What aspect of this conversation causes a change in her attitude to Mr. B?
2. When Mr. B asks Pamela what she will do if she is unable to interact with other ladies after they are married, how does Pamela respond?
3. Because the author treats the actual wedding in such an incidental way, this event could be described as a let-down or disappointment to readers expecting a big event. Which of the following terms would best describe such a let-down or disappointment?
4. How does Mr. B try to convince Pamela that he will be faithful and true?
5. How do Pamela and Lady Davers try to deal with Mr. B's rage?
Essay Topic 1
Outline the characteristics of "the novel of manners" and discuss the evidence that "Pamela" deserves this classification.
Essay Topic 2
It is reasonable to assume that the author thought carefully about the alternative title "Or Virtue Rewarded". Compare and contrast the relative merits and demerits of the titles "Pamela" and "Virtue Rewarded"
Essay Topic 3
Mr. and Mrs. Andrews are towering figures in the life of Pamela and they establish the power of simplicity, virtue and commitment in a complex and frightening world. Discuss the evidence provided by the author of the complex and frightening world in which Pamela finds herself and comment on the role of her parents in establishing that honor and virtue are powerful means of survival in such a world.
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)