|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Pamela's rejection of Mr. B's proposition, Mr B renews his attempt to take liberties with her, resulting in Pamela's fainting. What new worries face Pamela after this incident?
2. In the preface to the novel, what phrase is used to describe the category to which it belongs?
3. In the same letter, what other allegations does Mr. B make about Pamela?
4. What event results in Pamela's first letter to her parents?
5. What characteristic of the society is made evident in Section 3 of the novel when Mr. B terminates the employment of servants?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Section 3 of the novel when Mr. B intensifies his advances toward Pamela in an incident that involves Mrs. Jervis, what significant outcome results?
2. How is the foundation of Pamela's virtue established and reinforced in Section 2 when questions arise about Mr. B's intentions towards her?
3. What role does Mrs. Jewkes play in Section 4 of the novel?
4. In Section 5, what role does Mr. Williams play in regard to Pamela's situation at Lincolnshire?
5. In Section 3 of the novel, how does Mr. B's increasing interference with Pamela reveal aspects of his character and create tension?
6. How does his proposal in Section 7 demonstrate Mr. B's character?
7. From the very beginning, Pamela's parents seem to be aware of Mr. B as a danger to Pamela's virtue. In what way does this foreshadow later events?
8. How is Mr. Williams' role in helping Pamela to escape brought to an end in Section 6?
9. What character traits of Mrs. Jewkes are revealed in Section 5 as she acts as Mr. B's ally?
10. What role does Mrs. Jervis play in the beginning of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Outline the characteristics of "the novel of manners" and discuss the evidence that "Pamela" deserves this classification.
Essay Topic 2
It is reasonable to assume that the author thought carefully about the alternative title "Or Virtue Rewarded". Compare and contrast the relative merits and demerits of the titles "Pamela" and "Virtue Rewarded"
Essay Topic 3
What are the advantages and disadvantages of including "Pamela" in the Literature syllabus for high school students?
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)