|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. B try to encourage Pamela to keep the incident a secret?
(a) He offers her money.
(b) He offers her a holiday.
(c) He promises to give her a higher place in the household.
(d) He offers her new clothes.
2. As Section 3 begins, what is the reaction of Mr. B's dinner party guests to the rumors about Pamela?
(a) They want to tease and embarrass her.
(b) They are anxious to see the simple servant about whom everyone is talking.
(c) They are anxious to see the young woman about whose beauty they have heard.
(d) They try to ridicule her for spreading rumors about Mr. B.
3. What incident that occurs in Section 2, does Mr. B ask Pamela to keep a secret?
(a) His promise to keep her on as a maid.
(b) The offer of employment by Lady Danvers.
(c) His threat to dismiss her.
(d) His attempt to kiss her.
4. How does Lady Davers respond to Pamela when she visits?
(a) She praises her and speaks of hiring her.
(b) She warns her against trying to seduce Mr. B.
(c) She describes her as incompetent to continue working.
(d) She mocks her simplicity.
5. After the dinner party when Mr B disguises himself and frightens Pamela, how does she react?
(a) She runs out of the house.
(b) She calls for Mrs. Jewkes.
(c) She screams out for Mrs. Jervis to come.
(d) She shrieks and faints then awakens to find Mr. B gone.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pamela respond to her parents' advice?
2. About what plan devised by Mr. B against Mr. Williams does Pamela accidentally read in a letter from Mr. B?
3. What advice do Pamela's parents send her in response to Mr. Williams' earlier suggestion to Pamela?
4. How does Mr. B deal with the incident in which Pamela runs to her room and lies on the floor?
5. How does Pamela respond to being let down by Mr. Williams?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Pamela leaves for Lincolnshire what part do letters play in advancing the plot?
2. In Section 8, what unexpected event leads Pamela to further fear and mistrust Mr. B?
3. In Section 10, what is the response of the gentry to Pamela after news of her imminent marriage becomes known?
4. After Pamela rejects Mr. B's proposal for her to become his mistress, to what lengths does he go to have his way with her?
5. What important aspects of the plot are revealed through Pamela's first letter to her parents?
6. How does Section 6 highlight the intensity of Pamela's struggle to save her virtue?
7. Who makes a surprise visit to Pamela and Mr. B in Section 10 and what transpires during the visit?
8. In Section 14 as Pamela and Lady Davers become closer, what information does the older woman seek about Pamela's past?
9. What complications does Mr. B design in order to keep Pamela under his control after she leaves his estate?
10. What are the early indications that Mr. B is making inappropriate approaches to Pamela?
This section contains 1,460 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)