|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Faced with the realization that she is worried about Mr. B's condition, what concern does Pamela have about her response?
(a) She fears that Mr. B will use this against her.
(b) She wonders why she cannot hate him.
(c) She fears that she has feelings for him.
(d) She is annoyed with herself.
2. In her desperation to escape from Lincolnshire, Pamela contemplates suicide but she later decides against it; why?
(a) She receives a letter of inspiration from her parents.
(b) She is too afraid.
(c) She fears that it will send her soul to eternal damnation.
(d) She thinks the situation is not worth her life
3. About what does Mr. B write to Pamela while she is waiting to go home in Section 5?
(a) He tells her to pay attention to the guidance of Mrs. Jewkes.
(b) He writes begging Pamela to see him.
(c) He tells her he is sorry for his poor behavior.
(d) He tells her to be careful of the clergyman.
4. In a rare outburst, what name does Pamela call Mr. B's ally in making her life difficult?
(c) Agent of the Devil.
(d) Wicked Witch.
5. How does Pamela seek to contribute to collaborating with Mr. Williams to arrange her escape?
(a) She offers Mr. Williams half her money to procure a horse and carriage.
(b) She writes a letter to her father asking him to meet her.
(c) She writes to Mr. B and points out that she will find her way home.
(d) She promises to meet Mr. Williams at an agreed location from which he will take her to her parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pamela wish that Mr. B would give her money instead of nice clothes?
2. While becoming more restricted by Mrs. Jewkes at Lincolnshire, how does Pamela try to get help?
3. In Section 7 after his failed proposition and his failed attempt to seduce Pamela, what concessions does Mr. B make to allow Pamela more freedom?
4. What is the alternative title of the novel?
5. How does Pamela respond to being let down by Mr. Williams?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. B intensify his advances toward Pamela after the argument at the party?
2. What role does Mrs. Jervis play in the beginning of the story?
3. How does the tension between Mr B and Pamela escalate as Section 4 of the novel is completed?
4. In Section 6, how does Pamela reveal that she has conflicting emotions about Mr. B?
5. What other warnings do Pamela's parents give her at the beginning of the novel?
6. How do the circumstances of Pamela's life cause her to adopt one of the flaws in Mr. B's character?
7. What important aspects of the plot are revealed through Pamela's first letter to her parents?
8. In Section 3 of the novel, how does Mr. B's increasing interference with Pamela reveal aspects of his character and create tension?
9. After Pamela rejects Mr. B's proposal for her to become his mistress, to what lengths does he go to have his way with her?
10. How does Section 6 highlight the intensity of Pamela's struggle to save her virtue?
This section contains 1,321 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)