|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 9: pages 219-242.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After returning to Mr. B at Lincolnshire, what happens when Pamela visits Mr. B at the beginning of Section 9?
(a) He is happy and asks Pamela to set the date for the marrriage.
(b) He is still uncertain and asks for more time.
(c) He is happy with her but asks that she does not see Mr. Williams.
(d) He is happy and asks for forgiveness.
2. What reason does Mr. B give for insisting that he must find Pamela a husband?
(a) To provide her with security.
(b) She is too pretty to escape the designs of men.
(c) To end his responsibility for her.
(d) To prevent her from having to work for him.
3. How does Mr. B try to encourage Pamela to keep the incident a secret?
(a) He offers her new clothes.
(b) He promises to give her a higher place in the household.
(c) He offers her money.
(d) He offers her a holiday.
4. Which of the following terms best describes the section of the novel that occurs when Mr. B declares his love for Pamela and his desire to marry her?
(a) Rising action.
(b) Falling action.
(d) Climax or turning point.
5. In Section 4, when Pamela hears of the possibility of Mr. B visiting Lincolnshire, how does she try to end the problems between her and Mr. B?
(a) She asks Mrs. Jewkes to tell him she wishes to be left alone.
(b) She asks a clergyman to warn Mr. B about approaching her.
(c) She asks Mr. Longman to speak to Mr. B.
(d) She writes him a letter begging him not to see her.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Pamela's rejection of Mr. B's proposition, Mr B renews his attempt to take liberties with her, resulting in Pamela's fainting. What new worries face Pamela after this incident?
2. What condition does Mr. B impose when he tells Pamela that she can let her parents know about the marriage?
3. How does Pamela respond to Mr. B's proposition and the articles contained in it?
4. Throughout Section 5, when Pamela's movements are restricted and monitored, which character is Mr. B's chief ally?
5. According to a short narrative passage in Section 4 after Pamela is due to go home, what new betrayal has Pamela suffered?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)