Section 1: pages 3-30
1. In the preface to the novel, what phrase is used to describe the category to which it belongs?
(b) Coming of age.
(d) Novel of manners.
2. In what century was "Pamela" written?
(a) The sixteenth.
(b) The nineteenth.
(c) The seventeenth.
(d) The eighteenth.
3. What is the alternative title of the novel?
(a) Virtue Seduced.
(b) The Benefits of Virtue.
(c) Or Virtue Rewarded.
(d) Virtue Tested.
4. What event results in Pamela's first letter to her parents?
(a) The loss of Pamela's job.
(b) Mr. B's advances.
(c) The death of Pamela's lady.
(d) Mr. B's gift.
5. What does Mr. B first offer Pamela in fulfillment of his mother's wishes?
(a) To pay her way home.
(b) Four guineas.
(d) A job in his sister's house.
6. What is Mr. B's first response to seeing Pamela writing to her parents?
(a) He calls her childish and simple.
(b) He chastises her for neglecting his mother.
(c) He praises her.
(d) He chastises her for neglecting the household duties.
This section contains 9,101 words
(approx. 31 pages at 300 words per page)