|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who circulated a letter objecting to Charles Kinbote editing "Pale Fire?"
2. Kinbote is what religion?
3. What is the name of Joseph S. Lavender's nephew?
4. What Kinbote thought was an amusement park outside is actually what?
5. In this section, Kinbote gives an extended, negative critique of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly recount Gradus' experience on the day he killed Shade, as told by Kinbote.
2. Give a brief account of the events involving Disa and King Charles after the revolution.
3. How does Kinbote respond when a professor tells him he looks like King Charles? Why might he react that way?
4. How does Gradus learn the location of the king?
5. What does Kinbote do when he runs into Shade on the way to the doctor's office?
6. How does Kinbote portray Hazel, and the scene in the barn?
7. Comment on a few similarities between Charles Kinbote and King Charles.
8. When does Kinbote finally merge with King Charles as written in the Commentary?
9. Who does Disa mirror in Kinbote's life?
10. What happens when Gradus and his commanders try to send coded messages?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On pages 100-107 in the commentary on line 71: Parents, Kinbote describes King Alfin the Vague.
Compare what is known of Kinbote to this point in the story with his portrayal of King Alfin.
What function or functions does King Alfin serve?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the assonance and consonance in the poem "Pale Fire." How does Nabokov use these literary tools throughout the poem?
Essay Topic 3
At what point in the novel did you suspect Charles Kinbote was not mentally sound?
How does his dementia progress throughout the novel?
How does his grasp of reality change the way you perceive the events of the novel?
Do you think Zembla is a real place in the world created by Nabokov in Pale Fire, or a figment of Charles Kinbote's imagination?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)