|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the queen's initial feeling about King Charles when they meet after his escape?
2. According to Kinbote, what does "Ex" stand for?
3. Where are the Shades' planning to go on vacation?
4. Why did King Charles' marriage fail?
5. Kinbote fills in a blank space in "Pale Fire" with what name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kinbote embrace organized religion?
2. How does Kinbote portray Hazel, and the scene in the barn?
3. What does Kinbote write about in the commentary as the poem addresses Hazel's death?
4. Why does Kinbote insist on meeting Shade on July 19th?
5. When does Kinbote finally merge with King Charles as written in the Commentary?
6. What do you think of Kinbote's disregard for psychoanalysis?
7. What does Kinbote think about John Shade's lack of religion?
8. Comment on a few similarities between Charles Kinbote and King Charles.
9. What is significant about the way Shade relates his name to the word "ombre" a French word that connotes shadows and darkness?
10. What is odd about the way Kinbote tells the story of Gradus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the assonance and consonance in the poem "Pale Fire." How does Nabokov use these literary tools throughout the poem?
Essay Topic 2
The first lines of the poem "Pale Fire" portrays a bird flying into a window. Charles Kinbote interprets these lines as they may relate to John Shade's experience.
How is Charles Kinbote like a bird who flies into a window?
Essay Topic 3
Charles Kinbote is clearly infatuated with John Shade. What do you think Shade's feeling are towards Kinbote in general?
If you were John Shade, how would you react to Kinbote's commentary on "Pale Fire"?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)