|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a visiting professor requests a picture of King Charles, who goes to get it?
2. Oswin Bretwit kicks out Gradus when he realizes Gradus is not a Royalist. What does Bretwit assume is Gradus' profession?
3. Kinbote reflects on the absurdity of what?
4. What message did Gradus incorrectly give headquarters?
5. Kinbote claims some people on campus said he resembles which of the following people?
Essay Topic 1
Write an argument supporting the claim that Charles Kinbote is in fact the assassin. Use examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Charles Kinbote is clearly infatuated with John Shade. What do you think Shade's feeling are towards Kinbote in general?
If you were John Shade, how would you react to Kinbote's commentary on "Pale Fire"?
Essay Topic 3
Using specific examples from the book, describe how Nabokov uses color and climate to describe the setting and characters in Pale Fire, both in the poem and in the commentary.
Do you think this is effective? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)