Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times did Kinbote find Zembla directly mentioned?
2. According to Kinbote, what is Gradus doing while John Shade is composing Canto Four?
3. Charles Kinbote writes a brief play about what event?
4. Kinbote claims some people on campus said he resembles which of the following people?
5. Kinbote claims the Russians are good at what sport?
Essay Topic 1
Compare Kinbote's actions to those of Gradus. How are these two characters similar?
Why do you think Kinbote describes Gradus the way he does in the commentary to Line 171?
Do you find this description ironic? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The first lines of the poem "Pale Fire" portrays a bird flying into a window. Charles Kinbote interprets these lines as they may relate to John Shade's experience.
How is Charles Kinbote like a bird who flies into a window?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, the game of chess reappears in various scenes, and is played by a variety of characters.
Cite specific examples Nabokov uses of the game of chess throughout the novel.
Why do you think Nabokov chooses to incorporate the game of chess into the novel the way he does?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)