Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times did Kinbote find Zembla directly mentioned?
2. According to Kinbote, what is Gradus doing while John Shade is composing Canto Four?
3. Charles Kinbote writes a brief play about what event?
4. Kinbote claims some people on campus said he resembles which of the following people?
5. Kinbote claims the Russians are good at what sport?
Charles Kinbote is an unreliable narrator.
Cite specific examples of how Vladimir Nabokov portrays Kinbote as an unreliable narrator.
Do you think this tactic was effective for the story? Why or why not?
How would the novel, Pale Fire, have been different if Kinbote was a reliable narrator?
Why did Nabokov choose to portray Kinbote the way he did?
In the foreword, Kinbote suggests that the novel be read in a unique way.
How does he feel the novel should be read?
Why does he think it should be read this way?
What are your immediate thoughts on the narrator after he suggests this?
Why do you think Nabokov chooses to have Kinbote make this suggestion?
At what point in the novel did you suspect Charles Kinbote was not mentally sound?
How does his dementia progress throughout the novel?
How does his grasp of reality change the way you perceive the events of the novel?
Do you think Zembla is a real place in the world created by Nabokov in Pale Fire, or a figment of Charles Kinbote's imagination?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)