|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kinbote claims the Russians are good at what sport?
2. According to Kinbote what is the only real name used in the poem, "Pale Fire?"
3. According to Kinbote, King Charles lands near which city?
4. Who circulated a letter objecting to Charles Kinbote editing "Pale Fire?"
5. Which of the following best describes Gradus' feelings towards his role in the revolution?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Kinbote finally merge with King Charles as written in the Commentary?
2. How does Kinbote describe the Russian guards who are after the Zemblan Crown Jewels?
3. What does Kinbote do when he runs into Shade on the way to the doctor's office?
4. Who does Disa mirror in Kinbote's life?
5. What is ironic about Kinbote criticizing Shade for using a title from another work for one of his own books?
6. How does Kinbote respond when a professor tells him he looks like King Charles? Why might he react that way?
7. Briefly summarize the conversation Kinbote overhears between Shade and Mrs. Hurley, and its relevance to "Pale Fire."
8. Why does Kinbote embrace organized religion?
9. Comment on a few similarities between Charles Kinbote and King Charles.
10. How does Gradus learn the location of the king?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reflection is a major motif of the fictional poem "Pale Fire," and in the novel's commentary and foreword.
Give specific examples of Nabokov's use of reflection as it pertains to looking back at past events?
How does Nabokov use reflection in terms of mirror images or opposites?
How do these two interpretations of reflection work together in Shade's writing, and Kinbote's commentary?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the way Charles Kinbote portrays himself vs. the way he is viewed by others. Based on his actions, how would you describe the "real" Charles Kinbote? Based on your description of Kinbote, and the difference in the way he is perceived by others compared to his view of himself, write an essay commenting on Nabokov's choice to have a person like this narrate the story instead of writing the novel with a third-person omniscient narrator describing Kinbote, his treatment of "Pale Fire" and his relationships with the other characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
On pages 100-107 in the commentary on line 71: Parents, Kinbote describes King Alfin the Vague.
Compare what is known of Kinbote to this point in the story with his portrayal of King Alfin.
What function or functions does King Alfin serve?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)