|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Kinbote thought was an amusement park outside is actually what?
2. What does the name "Kinbote" mean?
3. What does Gradus bring Oswin Bretwit?
4. Kinbote recounts a walk with John Shade. On this walk Kinbote unsuccessfully tries to pry from Shade information about which of the following topics?
5. Gradus visits Oswin Bretwit in order to find information on King Charles' location. What is Oswin Bretwit's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly recount Gradus' experience on the day he killed Shade, as told by Kinbote.
2. What does Kinbote think about John Shade's lack of religion?
3. When does Kinbote finally merge with King Charles as written in the Commentary?
4. Give a brief account of the events involving Disa and King Charles after the revolution.
5. What do you think of Kinbote's disregard for psychoanalysis?
6. Why does Kinbote insist on meeting Shade on July 19th?
7. What does Kinbote relate to the death of Hazel?
8. How does Gradus learn the location of the king?
9. Who does Disa mirror in Kinbote's life?
10. Comment on a few similarities between Charles Kinbote and King Charles.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On page 156, in the commentary to Line 172, John Shade bemoans the way most of his students read and interpret literature.
Relate Shade's thoughts in the final paragraph on page 156 to the way Kinbote interprets the poem "Pale Fire."
How does Kinbote respond to Shade's commentary?
What does this tell us about Kinbote?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the assonance and consonance in the poem "Pale Fire." How does Nabokov use these literary tools throughout the poem?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, the game of chess reappears in various scenes, and is played by a variety of characters.
Cite specific examples Nabokov uses of the game of chess throughout the novel.
Why do you think Nabokov chooses to incorporate the game of chess into the novel the way he does?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)