|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is John Shade doing when Charles Kinbote hallucinates that he hears his voice?
2. Why does Kinbote think Russians are gloomy?
3. Kinbote believes who will be punished by God?
4. Where does Kinbote find the term "Tangra dust?"
5. When a visiting professor requests a picture of King Charles, who goes to get it?
Essay Topic 1
The first lines of the poem "Pale Fire" portrays a bird flying into a window. Charles Kinbote interprets these lines as they may relate to John Shade's experience.
How is Charles Kinbote like a bird who flies into a window?
Essay Topic 2
Charles Kinbote is clearly infatuated with John Shade. What do you think Shade's feeling are towards Kinbote in general?
If you were John Shade, how would you react to Kinbote's commentary on "Pale Fire"?
Essay Topic 3
How does Nabokov use references of other literary works in his novel Pale Fire? Give as many examples of references to other works as you can from the text, and describe what Nabokov accomplishes by including them in the novel.
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)