|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Kinbote, what is the third method of composing poetry?
2. What word does Shade claim is incorrect in its meaning?
3. When Gradus attempts to visit Joseph S. Lavender, Lavender asks Gradus if he is a/an ______?
4. Who is Kinbote's primary source of information on John Shade's daughter?
5. Who does John Shade address in line 246 which ends "...my dear"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Kinbote's actions to those of Gradus. How are these two characters similar?
Why do you think Kinbote describes Gradus the way he does in the commentary to Line 171?
Do you find this description ironic? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the way Nabokov uses flashbacks in the novel Pale Fire. How many instances are there? How do flashbacks help propel the plot? How would this story have been different if it were written in present tense?
Essay Topic 3
On pages 100-107 in the commentary on line 71: Parents, Kinbote describes King Alfin the Vague.
Compare what is known of Kinbote to this point in the story with his portrayal of King Alfin.
What function or functions does King Alfin serve?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)