|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the name "Kinbote" mean?
2. Who is Kinbote's primary source of information on John Shade's daughter?
3. In this section (Lines 597-608), Charles Kinbote spies on a conversation between John Shade and whom?
4. Kinbote claims the Russians are good at what sport?
5. What word does Shade claim is incorrect in its meaning?
Essay Topic 1
How does Nabokov use references of other literary works in his novel Pale Fire? Give as many examples of references to other works as you can from the text, and describe what Nabokov accomplishes by including them in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the way Nabokov uses flashbacks in the novel Pale Fire. How many instances are there? How do flashbacks help propel the plot? How would this story have been different if it were written in present tense?
Essay Topic 3
On page 156, in the commentary to Line 172, John Shade bemoans the way most of his students read and interpret literature.
Relate Shade's thoughts in the final paragraph on page 156 to the way Kinbote interprets the poem "Pale Fire."
How does Kinbote respond to Shade's commentary?
What does this tell us about Kinbote?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)