|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Gradus' feelings towards his role in the revolution?
2. Who does John Shade address in line 246 which ends "...my dear"
3. What does the name "Kinbote" mean?
4. Kinbote claims the Russians are good at what sport?
5. What word does Shade claim is incorrect in its meaning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On pages 100-107 in the commentary on line 71: Parents, Kinbote describes King Alfin the Vague.
Compare what is known of Kinbote to this point in the story with his portrayal of King Alfin.
What function or functions does King Alfin serve?
Essay Topic 2
How does Nabokov use references of other literary works in his novel Pale Fire? Give as many examples of references to other works as you can from the text, and describe what Nabokov accomplishes by including them in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the way Nabokov uses flashbacks in the novel Pale Fire. How many instances are there? How do flashbacks help propel the plot? How would this story have been different if it were written in present tense?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)