|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. King Charles was only able to love the queen______.
2. Kinbote reflects on the absurdity of what?
3. What Kinbote thought was an amusement park outside is actually what?
4. Kinbote fills in a blank space in "Pale Fire" with what name?
5. In this section (Lines 597-608), Charles Kinbote spies on a conversation between John Shade and whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give a brief account of the events involving Disa and King Charles after the revolution.
2. What does Kinbote think about John Shade's lack of religion?
3. How does Kinbote respond when a professor tells him he looks like King Charles? Why might he react that way?
4. How does Kinbote summarize Canto Four?
5. Briefly recount Gradus' experience on the day he killed Shade, as told by Kinbote.
6. What does Kinbote do when he runs into Shade on the way to the doctor's office?
7. How does Kinbote portray Hazel, and the scene in the barn?
8. Briefly summarize the conversation Kinbote overhears between Shade and Mrs. Hurley, and its relevance to "Pale Fire."
9. What is significant about the way Shade relates his name to the word "ombre" a French word that connotes shadows and darkness?
10. Why does Kinbote insist on meeting Shade on July 19th?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reflection is a major motif of the fictional poem "Pale Fire," and in the novel's commentary and foreword.
Give specific examples of Nabokov's use of reflection as it pertains to looking back at past events?
How does Nabokov use reflection in terms of mirror images or opposites?
How do these two interpretations of reflection work together in Shade's writing, and Kinbote's commentary?
Essay Topic 2
Write an argument supporting the claim that Charles Kinbote is in fact the assassin. Use examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Using specific examples from the novel, compile the verses of poetry that were omitted from the poem "Pale Fire."
Why do you think Nabokov chooses to include these verses in the novel, but not the poem?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)