|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did John Shade begin Canto Two?
2. Who makes sexual advances on King Charles during the commentary to line 149?
3. Which of the following is not mentioned by Shade in Canto One?
4. After King Charles is out of the mountains, he receives a message to go to which of the following locations?
5. King Alfin the Vague was an amateur______ .
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe John Shade's writing process.
2. What does Kinbote do when he runs into Shade on the way to the doctor's office?
3. Describe John Shade's daughter.
4. How does Kinbote respond when a professor tells him he looks like King Charles? Why might he react that way?
5. Briefly recount Gradus' experience on the day he killed Shade, as told by Kinbote.
6. Briefly compare Kinbote's Zemblan assassin story with what you perceive as the reality of the situation.
7. How does John Shade understand life?
8. What events lead to the death of John Shade's daughter?
9. What does John Shade ponder in the beginning of Canto Two?
10. How does Kinbote characterize his relationship with John Shade?
Essay Topic 1
Charles Kinbote is clearly infatuated with John Shade. What do you think Shade's feeling are towards Kinbote in general?
If you were John Shade, how would you react to Kinbote's commentary on "Pale Fire"?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the way Charles Kinbote portrays himself vs. the way he is viewed by others. Based on his actions, how would you describe the "real" Charles Kinbote? Based on your description of Kinbote, and the difference in the way he is perceived by others compared to his view of himself, write an essay commenting on Nabokov's choice to have a person like this narrate the story instead of writing the novel with a third-person omniscient narrator describing Kinbote, his treatment of "Pale Fire" and his relationships with the other characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the assonance and consonance in the poem "Pale Fire." How does Nabokov use these literary tools throughout the poem?
This section contains 1,634 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)