|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did John Shade begin Canto Two?
2. Who makes sexual advances on King Charles during the commentary to line 149?
3. Which of the following is not mentioned by Shade in Canto One?
4. After King Charles is out of the mountains, he receives a message to go to which of the following locations?
5. King Alfin the Vague was an amateur______ .
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe John Shade's writing process.
2. What does Kinbote do when he runs into Shade on the way to the doctor's office?
3. Describe John Shade's daughter.
4. How does Kinbote respond when a professor tells him he looks like King Charles? Why might he react that way?
5. Briefly recount Gradus' experience on the day he killed Shade, as told by Kinbote.
6. Briefly compare Kinbote's Zemblan assassin story with what you perceive as the reality of the situation.
7. How does John Shade understand life?
8. What events lead to the death of John Shade's daughter?
9. What does John Shade ponder in the beginning of Canto Two?
10. How does Kinbote characterize his relationship with John Shade?
Essay Topic 1
On pages 100-107 in the commentary on line 71: Parents, Kinbote describes King Alfin the Vague.
Compare what is known of Kinbote to this point in the story with his portrayal of King Alfin.
What function or functions does King Alfin serve?
Essay Topic 2
Cite specific examples of supernatural events in the novel Pale Fire.
How does Nabokov incorporate both real and phony supernatural events (such as fake seances) into the novel?
Why do you think he chooses to handle these events in such a manner?
What does this accomplish?
Essay Topic 3
At what point in the novel did you suspect Charles Kinbote was not mentally sound?
How does his dementia progress throughout the novel?
How does his grasp of reality change the way you perceive the events of the novel?
Do you think Zembla is a real place in the world created by Nabokov in Pale Fire, or a figment of Charles Kinbote's imagination?
This section contains 1,634 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)