|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charles Kinbote do when he finds out where the Shades' are planning to go on vacation?
(a) He asks to go with them.
(b) He rents a house in the same town.
(c) He sits in his house alone and drinks.
(d) He tries to convince them to stay in New Wye.
2. According to Kinbote, who gives Gradus a ride?
(a) Jim Coates.
(b) John Shade.
(c) Gerald Emerald.
(d) Sybil Shade.
3. Kinbote believes who will be punished by God?
(c) No one.
4. What Kinbote thought was an amusement park outside is actually what?
(a) A thunderstorm.
5. Shade refers to a book by which of the following authors in Line 384?
Short Answer Questions
1. What ailment troubles Gradus when he arrives in New Wye?
2. According to Kinbote, where did the Queen go when Zembla was invaded?
3. What word does Shade claim is incorrect in its meaning?
4. Why did King Charles' marriage fail?
5. Why does Kinbote think Russians are gloomy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kinbote think about John Shade's lack of religion?
2. What happens when Gradus and his commanders try to send coded messages?
3. How does Kinbote respond when a professor tells him he looks like King Charles? Why might he react that way?
4. Who does Disa mirror in Kinbote's life?
5. What is odd about the way Kinbote tells the story of Gradus?
6. What does Kinbote write about in the commentary as the poem addresses Hazel's death?
7. Give a brief account of the events involving Disa and King Charles after the revolution.
8. How does Kinbote portray Hazel, and the scene in the barn?
9. How does Kinbote summarize Canto Four?
10. When does Kinbote finally merge with King Charles as written in the Commentary?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)