|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Kinbote discuss in this section?
(c) Dr. Sutton.
2. Who does Kinbote blame for taking John Shade away from religion?
(a) The IPH.
(b) The Shades' daughter.
(c) Dr. Sutton.
(d) Sybil Shade.
3. Kinbote rejects the idea that randomness extends into what?
(a) Zemblan theology.
(b) King Charles' assassination.
(c) The afterlife.
4. Charles Kinbote writes a brief play about what event?
(a) John Shade's birthday.
(b) The Shades' vacation.
(c) King Charles' escape.
(d) Hazel Shade's seance.
5. Which of the following adjectives fits Kinbote's description of the Russians as they search the castle?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who circulated a letter objecting to Charles Kinbote editing "Pale Fire?"
2. When a visiting professor requests a picture of King Charles, who goes to get it?
3. Kinbote reflects on the absurdity of what?
4. Who is Kinbote's primary source of information on John Shade's daughter?
5. What is one major point Kinbote and Shade disagree on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kinbote relate to the death of Hazel?
2. How does Kinbote portray Hazel, and the scene in the barn?
3. Briefly recount Gradus' experience on the day he killed Shade, as told by Kinbote.
4. What happens when Gradus and his commanders try to send coded messages?
5. What does Kinbote write about in the commentary as the poem addresses Hazel's death?
6. What is significant about the way Shade relates his name to the word "ombre" a French word that connotes shadows and darkness?
7. How does Gradus learn the location of the king?
8. Why does Kinbote embrace organized religion?
9. How does Kinbote summarize Canto Four?
10. How does Kinbote respond when a professor tells him he looks like King Charles? Why might he react that way?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)