|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Kinbote blame for taking John Shade away from religion?
(a) Dr. Sutton.
(b) The IPH.
(c) The Shades' daughter.
(d) Sybil Shade.
2. Which of the following does Kinbote discuss in this section?
(b) Dr. Sutton.
3. Kinbote is what religion?
4. Kinbote fills in a blank space in "Pale Fire" with what name?
(b) John Shade.
(c) His own.
(d) King Charles.
5. According to Kinbote, what is the third method of composing poetry?
(b) By memory.
(c) Through prayer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kinbote find the term "Tangra dust?"
2. Gradus misinterprets a coded message from headquarters. What does he think his orders are?
3. Where does Gradus go to look for the king?
4. In what state does Kinbote arrive as Shade begins his last batch of index cards?
5. Gradus visits Oswin Bretwit in order to find information on King Charles' location. What is Oswin Bretwit's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the way Shade relates his name to the word "ombre" a French word that connotes shadows and darkness?
2. Briefly summarize the conversation Kinbote overhears between Shade and Mrs. Hurley, and its relevance to "Pale Fire."
3. Comment on a few similarities between Charles Kinbote and King Charles.
4. When does Kinbote finally merge with King Charles as written in the Commentary?
5. Who does Disa mirror in Kinbote's life?
6. What is odd about the way Kinbote tells the story of Gradus?
7. What happens when Gradus and his commanders try to send coded messages?
8. What does Kinbote think about John Shade's lack of religion?
9. Briefly recount Gradus' experience on the day he killed Shade, as told by Kinbote.
10. What does Kinbote do when he runs into Shade on the way to the doctor's office?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)