|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a visiting professor requests a picture of King Charles, who goes to get it?
(a) Gerald Emerald.
(b) Charles Kinbote.
(c) John Shade.
(d) Dr. Sutton.
2. What is John Shade doing when Charles Kinbote hallucinates that he hears his voice?
(c) Making love to his wife.
(d) Writing Canto Three.
3. Who tells Gradus Disa's estate is empty?
(b) A Russian spy.
(c) Charles Kinbote.
(d) A taxi driver.
4. Shade mentions his wife translating poems into what language?
5. Gradus misinterprets a coded message from headquarters. What does he think his orders are?
(a) To dress in a red coat and hat.
(b) To wait in Geneva for a shipment of salmon.
(c) To follow the king to America.
(d) To wait in Geneva for further instructions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the name "Kinbote" mean?
2. According to Kinbote, King Charles lands near which city?
3. John Shade says, "There's nothing wrong with shedding a dismal past to substitute pleasing _________?"
4. Kinbote criticizes the passage in which Shade alternates between the story of his daughter's death, and what he and his wife are doing at the time. What is his major criticism of this passage?
5. Who does Kinbote blame for taking John Shade away from religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Gradus and his commanders try to send coded messages?
2. Who does Disa mirror in Kinbote's life?
3. When does Kinbote finally merge with King Charles as written in the Commentary?
4. How does Kinbote describe the Russian guards who are after the Zemblan Crown Jewels?
5. How does Kinbote summarize Canto Four?
6. How does Kinbote respond when a professor tells him he looks like King Charles? Why might he react that way?
7. What is ironic about Kinbote criticizing Shade for using a title from another work for one of his own books?
8. What is odd about the way Kinbote tells the story of Gradus?
9. Why does Kinbote insist on meeting Shade on July 19th?
10. What do you think of Kinbote's disregard for psychoanalysis?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)