|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John Shade says, "There's nothing wrong with shedding a dismal past to substitute pleasing _________?"
2. On what date does John Shade compose lines 797-809?
(a) July 9th.
(b) July 1st.
(c) July 4th.
(d) July 19th.
3. Kinbote believes who will be punished by God?
(c) No one.
4. According to Kinbote, who gives Gradus a ride?
(a) Jim Coates.
(b) Gerald Emerald.
(c) John Shade.
(d) Sybil Shade.
5. What does the name "Kinbote" mean?
(a) A lover of men.
(b) A king's killer.
(c) A great poet.
(d) A true friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is John Shade doing when Charles Kinbote hallucinates that he hears his voice?
2. What is one major point Kinbote and Shade disagree on?
3. What does Gradus bring Oswin Bretwit?
4. Shade refers to a book by which of the following authors in Line 384?
5. King Charles was only able to love the queen______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think of Kinbote's disregard for psychoanalysis?
2. What is ironic about Kinbote criticizing Shade for using a title from another work for one of his own books?
3. What is significant about the way Shade relates his name to the word "ombre" a French word that connotes shadows and darkness?
4. Briefly recount Gradus' experience on the day he killed Shade, as told by Kinbote.
5. Why does Kinbote insist on meeting Shade on July 19th?
6. How does Kinbote respond when a professor tells him he looks like King Charles? Why might he react that way?
7. What is odd about the way Kinbote tells the story of Gradus?
8. How does Kinbote portray Hazel, and the scene in the barn?
9. How does Gradus learn the location of the king?
10. Comment on a few similarities between Charles Kinbote and King Charles.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)