|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does John Shade address in line 246 which ends "...my dear"
(a) His wife.
(b) His daughter.
(c) Charles Kinbote.
(d) His mother.
2. According to Kinbote, where did the Queen go when Zembla was invaded?
(c) Her estate on the Riviera.
3. Kinbote describes Russian soldiers giving what to Zemblan children?
(b) Red hats and coats.
4. According to Kinbote, what is Gradus doing while John Shade is composing Canto Four?
(c) Traveling to America.
(d) Waiting for orders from the Shadows.
5. According to Kinbote, who gives Gradus a ride?
(a) John Shade.
(b) Sybil Shade.
(c) Gerald Emerald.
(d) Jim Coates.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Kinbote, what does "Ex" stand for?
2. According to Kinbote in the commentary, the queen resembles______.
3. According to Kinbote, what is the best part of Canto Four?
4. What Kinbote thought was an amusement park outside is actually what?
5. What is the name of Joseph S. Lavender's nephew?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly recount Gradus' experience on the day he killed Shade, as told by Kinbote.
2. What do you think of Kinbote's disregard for psychoanalysis?
3. What happens when Gradus and his commanders try to send coded messages?
4. How does Kinbote portray Hazel, and the scene in the barn?
5. Briefly summarize the conversation Kinbote overhears between Shade and Mrs. Hurley, and its relevance to "Pale Fire."
6. What does Kinbote relate to the death of Hazel?
7. What does Kinbote think about John Shade's lack of religion?
8. What does Kinbote do when he runs into Shade on the way to the doctor's office?
9. How does Kinbote summarize Canto Four?
10. How does Kinbote describe the Russian guards who are after the Zemblan Crown Jewels?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)