|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose spirit supposedly haunts the barn?
(a) The farmer who used to sleep there.
(b) King Charles.
(c) King Alfin the Vague.
(d) Hazel Shade.
2. Which of the following best describes King Charles' marriage?
3. According to Kinbote Russians search for what Zemblan treasure?
(a) The Crown Jewels.
(b) A first printing of Timon of Athens.
(c) The crown of King Alfin the Vague.
(d) The journal of King Charles.
4. Charles Kinbote writes a brief play about what event?
(a) King Charles' escape.
(b) The Shades' vacation.
(c) Hazel Shade's seance.
(d) John Shade's birthday.
5. According to Kinbote, where did the Queen go when Zembla was invaded?
(d) Her estate on the Riviera.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date does John Shade compose lines 797-809?
2. Kinbote claims some people on campus said he resembles which of the following people?
3. Where does Kinbote find the term "Tangra dust?"
4. Kinbote reflects on the absurdity of what?
5. Kinbote rejects the idea that randomness extends into what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kinbote think about John Shade's lack of religion?
2. What is ironic about Kinbote criticizing Shade for using a title from another work for one of his own books?
3. Who does Disa mirror in Kinbote's life?
4. What do you think of Kinbote's disregard for psychoanalysis?
5. What happens when Gradus and his commanders try to send coded messages?
6. Give a brief account of the events involving Disa and King Charles after the revolution.
7. Why does Kinbote embrace organized religion?
8. What does Kinbote write about in the commentary as the poem addresses Hazel's death?
9. Comment on a few similarities between Charles Kinbote and King Charles.
10. Briefly recount Gradus' experience on the day he killed Shade, as told by Kinbote.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)