|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Kinbote, what does "Ex" stand for?
2. Why did King Charles' marriage fail?
(a) His wife cheated on him.
(b) He is a homosexual.
(c) His wife was captured.
(d) His wife could not bear children.
3. According to Kinbote what is the only real name used in the poem, "Pale Fire?"
(b) Starover Blue.
4. When Gradus attempts to visit Joseph S. Lavender, Lavender asks Gradus if he is a/an ______?
(b) Art dealer.
5. On what date does John Shade compose lines 797-809?
(a) July 9th.
(b) July 4th.
(c) July 1st.
(d) July 19th.
Short Answer Questions
1. What message did Gradus incorrectly give headquarters?
2. Kinbote rejects the idea that randomness extends into what?
3. What is one major point Kinbote and Shade disagree on?
4. Where does Gradus go to look for the king?
5. How many times did Kinbote find Zembla directly mentioned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly recount Gradus' experience on the day he killed Shade, as told by Kinbote.
2. What is odd about the way Kinbote tells the story of Gradus?
3. What does Kinbote write about in the commentary as the poem addresses Hazel's death?
4. What does Kinbote think about John Shade's lack of religion?
5. What happens when Gradus and his commanders try to send coded messages?
6. What does Kinbote relate to the death of Hazel?
7. Why does Kinbote embrace organized religion?
8. Give a brief account of the events involving Disa and King Charles after the revolution.
9. When does Kinbote finally merge with King Charles as written in the Commentary?
10. What do you think of Kinbote's disregard for psychoanalysis?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)