|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Gradus Disa's estate is empty?
(a) A taxi driver.
(b) A Russian spy.
(c) Charles Kinbote.
2. Kinbote recounts a walk with John Shade. On this walk Kinbote unsuccessfully tries to pry from Shade information about which of the following topics?
(a) Shade's poem.
(b) Plants and animals.
(d) Shade's daughter.
3. What does the name "Kinbote" mean?
(a) A great poet.
(b) A king's killer.
(c) A lover of men.
(d) A true friend.
4. What does Gradus bring Oswin Bretwit?
(a) Letters between Bretwit's family members.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A valuable coin collection.
(d) A map of Zembla.
5. Which of the following does Kinbote discuss in this section?
(a) Dr. Sutton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose letter reveals the king's location to Gradus?
2. Joseph S. Lavender is a collector of what?
3. What is John Shade doing when Charles Kinbote hallucinates that he hears his voice?
4. What Kinbote thought was an amusement park outside is actually what?
5. Who is Kinbote's primary source of information on John Shade's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kinbote summarize Canto Four?
2. Why does Kinbote embrace organized religion?
3. Briefly recount Gradus' experience on the day he killed Shade, as told by Kinbote.
4. When does Kinbote finally merge with King Charles as written in the Commentary?
5. How does Gradus learn the location of the king?
6. Give a brief account of the events involving Disa and King Charles after the revolution.
7. How does Kinbote describe the Russian guards who are after the Zemblan Crown Jewels?
8. Why does Kinbote insist on meeting Shade on July 19th?
9. What does Kinbote write about in the commentary as the poem addresses Hazel's death?
10. What do you think of Kinbote's disregard for psychoanalysis?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)