|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Joseph S. Lavender's nephew?
2. Whose spirit supposedly haunts the barn?
(a) The farmer who used to sleep there.
(b) King Alfin the Vague.
(c) King Charles.
(d) Hazel Shade.
3. Charles Kinbote writes a brief play about what event?
(a) John Shade's birthday.
(b) Hazel Shade's seance.
(c) King Charles' escape.
(d) The Shades' vacation.
4. Kinbote rejects the idea that randomness extends into what?
(a) King Charles' assassination.
(c) Zemblan theology.
(d) The afterlife.
5. Which of the following adjectives fits Kinbote's description of the Russians as they search the castle?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Kinbote, what does "Ex" stand for?
2. Kinbote believes who will be punished by God?
3. What message did Gradus incorrectly give headquarters?
4. Kinbote has an auditory hallucination of John Shade's voice telling him to do what?
5. Shade refers to a book by which of the following authors in Line 384?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kinbote write about in the commentary as the poem addresses Hazel's death?
2. What happens when Gradus and his commanders try to send coded messages?
3. Why does Kinbote embrace organized religion?
4. When does Kinbote finally merge with King Charles as written in the Commentary?
5. What does Kinbote think about John Shade's lack of religion?
6. What do you think of Kinbote's disregard for psychoanalysis?
7. Give a brief account of the events involving Disa and King Charles after the revolution.
8. What is ironic about Kinbote criticizing Shade for using a title from another work for one of his own books?
9. Comment on a few similarities between Charles Kinbote and King Charles.
10. Who does Disa mirror in Kinbote's life?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)