|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Kinbote, what does "Ex" stand for?
2. According to Kinbote Russians search for what Zemblan treasure?
(a) The crown of King Alfin the Vague.
(b) The journal of King Charles.
(c) The Crown Jewels.
(d) A first printing of Timon of Athens.
3. What is John Shade doing when Charles Kinbote hallucinates that he hears his voice?
(b) Writing Canto Three.
(c) Making love to his wife.
4. Kinbote is what religion?
5. Whose spirit supposedly haunts the barn?
(a) The farmer who used to sleep there.
(b) Hazel Shade.
(c) King Charles.
(d) King Alfin the Vague.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who circulated a letter objecting to Charles Kinbote editing "Pale Fire?"
2. King Charles was only able to love the queen______.
3. What does Gradus bring Oswin Bretwit?
4. In what state does Kinbote arrive as Shade begins his last batch of index cards?
5. Kinbote fills in a blank space in "Pale Fire" with what name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think of Kinbote's disregard for psychoanalysis?
2. What does Kinbote think about John Shade's lack of religion?
3. What does Kinbote do when he runs into Shade on the way to the doctor's office?
4. What happens when Gradus and his commanders try to send coded messages?
5. Comment on a few similarities between Charles Kinbote and King Charles.
6. How does Kinbote summarize Canto Four?
7. When does Kinbote finally merge with King Charles as written in the Commentary?
8. Why does Kinbote insist on meeting Shade on July 19th?
9. Give a brief account of the events involving Disa and King Charles after the revolution.
10. What does Kinbote write about in the commentary as the poem addresses Hazel's death?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)