|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kinbote rejects the idea that randomness extends into what?
(a) King Charles' assassination.
(b) Zemblan theology.
(d) The afterlife.
2. Kinbote criticizes the passage in which Shade alternates between the story of his daughter's death, and what he and his wife are doing at the time. What is his major criticism of this passage?
(a) It is unrealistic.
(b) It is not sincere enough.
(c) It doesn't rhyme.
(d) It is too drawn out.
3. Kinbote claims some people on campus said he resembles which of the following people?
(b) Dr. Sutton.
(c) King Charles.
(d) John Shade.
4. According to Kinbote Russians search for what Zemblan treasure?
(a) A first printing of Timon of Athens.
(b) The Crown Jewels.
(c) The journal of King Charles.
(d) The crown of King Alfin the Vague.
5. Kinbote describes Russian soldiers giving what to Zemblan children?
(a) Red hats and coats.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Kinbote, King Charles lands near which city?
2. Why did King Charles' marriage fail?
3. When Gradus attempts to visit Joseph S. Lavender, Lavender asks Gradus if he is a/an ______?
4. Whose letter reveals the king's location to Gradus?
5. In this section (Lines 597-608), Charles Kinbote spies on a conversation between John Shade and whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly summarize the conversation Kinbote overhears between Shade and Mrs. Hurley, and its relevance to "Pale Fire."
2. Give a brief account of the events involving Disa and King Charles after the revolution.
3. Why does Kinbote embrace organized religion?
4. How does Gradus learn the location of the king?
5. Briefly recount Gradus' experience on the day he killed Shade, as told by Kinbote.
6. What does Kinbote write about in the commentary as the poem addresses Hazel's death?
7. What happens when Gradus and his commanders try to send coded messages?
8. Who does Disa mirror in Kinbote's life?
9. How does Kinbote describe the Russian guards who are after the Zemblan Crown Jewels?
10. How does Kinbote portray Hazel, and the scene in the barn?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)