|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times did Kinbote find Zembla directly mentioned?
2. Which of the following adjectives fits Kinbote's description of the Russians as they search the castle?
3. Why does Kinbote think Russians are gloomy?
(a) Enforced nationalism.
(b) The death of King Charles.
(c) The weather.
(d) Too much vodka.
4. Gradus visits Oswin Bretwit in order to find information on King Charles' location. What is Oswin Bretwit's profession?
(a) A member of the Shadows.
(b) A Zemblan diplomat.
(c) A spy.
(d) A reporter.
5. When Gradus attempts to visit Joseph S. Lavender, Lavender asks Gradus if he is a/an ______?
(c) Art dealer.
Short Answer Questions
1. At his hotel Gradus receives orders from headquarters telling him to do what?
2. Who tells Gradus Disa's estate is empty?
3. Kinbote claims some people on campus said he resembles which of the following people?
4. According to Kinbote, what does "Ex" stand for?
5. Who does Kinbote blame for taking John Shade away from religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Disa mirror in Kinbote's life?
2. What does Kinbote write about in the commentary as the poem addresses Hazel's death?
3. What happens when Gradus and his commanders try to send coded messages?
4. How does Gradus learn the location of the king?
5. Briefly recount Gradus' experience on the day he killed Shade, as told by Kinbote.
6. Why does Kinbote insist on meeting Shade on July 19th?
7. How does Kinbote describe the Russian guards who are after the Zemblan Crown Jewels?
8. Why does Kinbote embrace organized religion?
9. How does Kinbote respond when a professor tells him he looks like King Charles? Why might he react that way?
10. What does Kinbote do when he runs into Shade on the way to the doctor's office?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)