|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kinbote is what religion?
2. Shade refers to a book by which of the following authors in Line 384?
3. Where does Gradus go to look for the king?
4. According to Kinbote what is the only real name used in the poem, "Pale Fire?"
(b) Starover Blue.
5. Whose spirit supposedly haunts the barn?
(a) The farmer who used to sleep there.
(b) Hazel Shade.
(c) King Alfin the Vague.
(d) King Charles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kinbote claims the Russians are good at what sport?
2. At his hotel Gradus receives orders from headquarters telling him to do what?
3. Which of the following adjectives fits Kinbote's description of the Russians as they search the castle?
4. What does Gradus bring Oswin Bretwit?
5. Where does Kinbote find the term "Tangra dust?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Comment on a few similarities between Charles Kinbote and King Charles.
2. What happens when Gradus and his commanders try to send coded messages?
3. What does Kinbote think about John Shade's lack of religion?
4. What does Kinbote relate to the death of Hazel?
5. When does Kinbote finally merge with King Charles as written in the Commentary?
6. Why does Kinbote insist on meeting Shade on July 19th?
7. How does Kinbote describe the Russian guards who are after the Zemblan Crown Jewels?
8. What does Kinbote write about in the commentary as the poem addresses Hazel's death?
9. How does Kinbote portray Hazel, and the scene in the barn?
10. How does Kinbote summarize Canto Four?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)