|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the queen's initial feeling about King Charles when they meet after his escape?
(a) Adoringly devoted.
(b) Hopeful and respectful.
(d) Angry and frustrated.
2. According to Kinbote, what is the best part of Canto Four?
(a) The part about Zembla.
(b) The rhymes.
(c) The opening.
(d) The last line.
3. What is the name of Joseph S. Lavender's nephew?
4. Who does Kinbote blame for taking John Shade away from religion?
(a) Sybil Shade.
(b) The Shades' daughter.
(c) The IPH.
(d) Dr. Sutton.
5. Kinbote fills in a blank space in "Pale Fire" with what name?
(a) John Shade.
(b) His own.
(d) King Charles.
Short Answer Questions
1. In this section (Lines 597-608), Charles Kinbote spies on a conversation between John Shade and whom?
2. According to Kinbote what is the only real name used in the poem, "Pale Fire?"
3. What message did Gradus incorrectly give headquarters?
4. Which of the following best describes Gradus' feelings towards his role in the revolution?
5. Which of the following does Kinbote discuss in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly summarize the conversation Kinbote overhears between Shade and Mrs. Hurley, and its relevance to "Pale Fire."
2. What does Kinbote do when he runs into Shade on the way to the doctor's office?
3. How does Kinbote respond when a professor tells him he looks like King Charles? Why might he react that way?
4. Why does Kinbote insist on meeting Shade on July 19th?
5. When does Kinbote finally merge with King Charles as written in the Commentary?
6. Who does Disa mirror in Kinbote's life?
7. What does Kinbote relate to the death of Hazel?
8. What is ironic about Kinbote criticizing Shade for using a title from another work for one of his own books?
9. How does Kinbote summarize Canto Four?
10. Briefly recount Gradus' experience on the day he killed Shade, as told by Kinbote.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)