|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joseph S. Lavender is a collector of what?
(a) Zemblan art.
2. Kinbote recounts a walk with John Shade. On this walk Kinbote unsuccessfully tries to pry from Shade information about which of the following topics?
(b) Shade's daughter.
(c) Plants and animals.
(d) Shade's poem.
3. What is the name of Joseph S. Lavender's nephew?
4. When a visiting professor requests a picture of King Charles, who goes to get it?
(a) Charles Kinbote.
(b) Dr. Sutton.
(c) Gerald Emerald.
(d) John Shade.
5. What does the name "Kinbote" mean?
(a) A king's killer.
(b) A great poet.
(c) A lover of men.
(d) A true friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kinbote describes Russian soldiers giving what to Zemblan children?
2. According to Kinbote, what is the third method of composing poetry?
3. Oswin Bretwit kicks out Gradus when he realizes Gradus is not a Royalist. What does Bretwit assume is Gradus' profession?
4. King Charles was only able to love the queen______.
5. John Shade says, "There's nothing wrong with shedding a dismal past to substitute pleasing _________?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is odd about the way Kinbote tells the story of Gradus?
2. Briefly summarize the conversation Kinbote overhears between Shade and Mrs. Hurley, and its relevance to "Pale Fire."
3. Comment on a few similarities between Charles Kinbote and King Charles.
4. Why does Kinbote insist on meeting Shade on July 19th?
5. How does Kinbote portray Hazel, and the scene in the barn?
6. How does Kinbote respond when a professor tells him he looks like King Charles? Why might he react that way?
7. What does Kinbote write about in the commentary as the poem addresses Hazel's death?
8. What does Kinbote do when he runs into Shade on the way to the doctor's office?
9. Briefly recount Gradus' experience on the day he killed Shade, as told by Kinbote.
10. What happens when Gradus and his commanders try to send coded messages?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)