|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gradus visits Oswin Bretwit in order to find information on King Charles' location. What is Oswin Bretwit's profession?
(a) A member of the Shadows.
(b) A reporter.
(c) A spy.
(d) A Zemblan diplomat.
2. Shade refers to a book by which of the following authors in Line 384?
3. What does Gradus bring Oswin Bretwit?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) Letters between Bretwit's family members.
(c) A valuable coin collection.
(d) A map of Zembla.
4. Which of the following best describes King Charles' marriage?
5. According to Kinbote, what is the third method of composing poetry?
(c) Through prayer.
(d) By memory.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does John Shade address in line 246 which ends "...my dear"
2. Kinbote is what religion?
3. Kinbote has an auditory hallucination of John Shade's voice telling him to do what?
4. What message did Gradus incorrectly give headquarters?
5. What is one major point Kinbote and Shade disagree on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kinbote portray Hazel, and the scene in the barn?
2. What is ironic about Kinbote criticizing Shade for using a title from another work for one of his own books?
3. Give a brief account of the events involving Disa and King Charles after the revolution.
4. What does Kinbote relate to the death of Hazel?
5. Why does Kinbote embrace organized religion?
6. How does Kinbote summarize Canto Four?
7. Briefly summarize the conversation Kinbote overhears between Shade and Mrs. Hurley, and its relevance to "Pale Fire."
8. How does Kinbote respond when a professor tells him he looks like King Charles? Why might he react that way?
9. What is odd about the way Kinbote tells the story of Gradus?
10. Briefly recount Gradus' experience on the day he killed Shade, as told by Kinbote.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)