|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kinbote rejects the idea that randomness extends into what?
(a) The afterlife.
(b) King Charles' assassination.
(c) Zemblan theology.
2. Kinbote recounts a walk with John Shade. On this walk Kinbote unsuccessfully tries to pry from Shade information about which of the following topics?
(a) Shade's poem.
(c) Plants and animals.
(d) Shade's daughter.
3. Who circulated a letter objecting to Charles Kinbote editing "Pale Fire?"
(a) Dr. Sutton.
(b) Sybil Shade.
(c) Professor Nattochdag.
(d) Gerald Emerald.
4. According to Kinbote, what is Gradus doing while John Shade is composing Canto Four?
(b) Traveling to America.
(d) Waiting for orders from the Shadows.
5. Shade refers to a book by which of the following authors in Line 384?
Short Answer Questions
1. Kinbote criticizes the passage in which Shade alternates between the story of his daughter's death, and what he and his wife are doing at the time. What is his major criticism of this passage?
2. In what state does Kinbote arrive as Shade begins his last batch of index cards?
3. Where does Gradus go to look for the king?
4. According to Kinbote, what is the third method of composing poetry?
5. On what date does John Shade compose lines 797-809?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly summarize the conversation Kinbote overhears between Shade and Mrs. Hurley, and its relevance to "Pale Fire."
2. What does Kinbote think about John Shade's lack of religion?
3. How does Kinbote portray Hazel, and the scene in the barn?
4. How does Kinbote describe the Russian guards who are after the Zemblan Crown Jewels?
5. What does Kinbote relate to the death of Hazel?
6. What is odd about the way Kinbote tells the story of Gradus?
7. Give a brief account of the events involving Disa and King Charles after the revolution.
8. Briefly recount Gradus' experience on the day he killed Shade, as told by Kinbote.
9. How does Kinbote summarize Canto Four?
10. How does Gradus learn the location of the king?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)