|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kinbote rejects the idea that randomness extends into what?
(a) The afterlife.
(b) Zemblan theology.
(d) King Charles' assassination.
2. Which of the following best describes the queen's initial feeling about King Charles when they meet after his escape?
(a) Hopeful and respectful.
(c) Angry and frustrated.
(d) Adoringly devoted.
3. Kinbote criticizes the passage in which Shade alternates between the story of his daughter's death, and what he and his wife are doing at the time. What is his major criticism of this passage?
(a) It is unrealistic.
(b) It is too drawn out.
(c) It doesn't rhyme.
(d) It is not sincere enough.
4. According to Kinbote, King Charles lands near which city?
5. Kinbote reflects on the absurdity of what?
(a) Gerald Emerald.
(b) Sybil Shade.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Kinbote, where did the Queen go when Zembla was invaded?
2. What Kinbote thought was an amusement park outside is actually what?
3. What is John Shade doing when Charles Kinbote hallucinates that he hears his voice?
4. According to Kinbote in the commentary, the queen resembles______.
5. According to Kinbote, who gives Gradus a ride?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly recount Gradus' experience on the day he killed Shade, as told by Kinbote.
2. What does Kinbote write about in the commentary as the poem addresses Hazel's death?
3. What does Kinbote do when he runs into Shade on the way to the doctor's office?
4. How does Kinbote summarize Canto Four?
5. How does Kinbote portray Hazel, and the scene in the barn?
6. What is significant about the way Shade relates his name to the word "ombre" a French word that connotes shadows and darkness?
7. What do you think of Kinbote's disregard for psychoanalysis?
8. How does Gradus learn the location of the king?
9. Who does Disa mirror in Kinbote's life?
10. How does Kinbote respond when a professor tells him he looks like King Charles? Why might he react that way?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)