|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Kinbote, where did the Queen go when Zembla was invaded?
(c) Her estate on the Riviera.
2. Where does Kinbote find the term "Tangra dust?"
(a) Written on a napkin.
(b) In his copy of Timon of Athens.
(c) In an early draft of the poem.
(d) In the dictionary.
3. Kinbote recounts a walk with John Shade. On this walk Kinbote unsuccessfully tries to pry from Shade information about which of the following topics?
(a) Shade's daughter.
(b) Plants and animals.
(d) Shade's poem.
4. What ailment troubles Gradus when he arrives in New Wye?
(a) The flu.
5. Gradus misinterprets a coded message from headquarters. What does he think his orders are?
(a) To wait in Geneva for a shipment of salmon.
(b) To dress in a red coat and hat.
(c) To follow the king to America.
(d) To wait in Geneva for further instructions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Kinbote blame for taking John Shade away from religion?
2. According to Kinbote, what is the best part of Canto Four?
3. Which of the following does Kinbote discuss in this section?
4. In what state does Kinbote arrive as Shade begins his last batch of index cards?
5. Kinbote has an auditory hallucination of John Shade's voice telling him to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the way Shade relates his name to the word "ombre" a French word that connotes shadows and darkness?
2. Why does Kinbote embrace organized religion?
3. How does Kinbote summarize Canto Four?
4. What does Kinbote relate to the death of Hazel?
5. Comment on a few similarities between Charles Kinbote and King Charles.
6. What does Kinbote do when he runs into Shade on the way to the doctor's office?
7. What is odd about the way Kinbote tells the story of Gradus?
8. Who does Disa mirror in Kinbote's life?
9. Why does Kinbote insist on meeting Shade on July 19th?
10. Give a brief account of the events involving Disa and King Charles after the revolution.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)