|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kinbote is what religion?
2. Where are the Shades' planning to go on vacation?
3. Shade mentions his wife translating poems into what language?
4. John Shade says, "There's nothing wrong with shedding a dismal past to substitute pleasing _________?"
5. Where does Kinbote find the term "Tangra dust?"
(a) In an early draft of the poem.
(b) In the dictionary.
(c) Written on a napkin.
(d) In his copy of Timon of Athens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles Kinbote do when he finds out where the Shades' are planning to go on vacation?
2. Kinbote reflects on the absurdity of what?
3. Why does Kinbote think Russians are gloomy?
4. In this section (Lines 597-608), Charles Kinbote spies on a conversation between John Shade and whom?
5. Which of the following adjectives fits Kinbote's description of the Russians as they search the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Kinbote criticizing Shade for using a title from another work for one of his own books?
2. Comment on a few similarities between Charles Kinbote and King Charles.
3. Who does Disa mirror in Kinbote's life?
4. What does Kinbote think about John Shade's lack of religion?
5. Briefly recount Gradus' experience on the day he killed Shade, as told by Kinbote.
6. What does Kinbote write about in the commentary as the poem addresses Hazel's death?
7. What does Kinbote do when he runs into Shade on the way to the doctor's office?
8. When does Kinbote finally merge with King Charles as written in the Commentary?
9. Give a brief account of the events involving Disa and King Charles after the revolution.
10. How does Kinbote describe the Russian guards who are after the Zemblan Crown Jewels?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)