|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose spirit supposedly haunts the barn?
(a) The farmer who used to sleep there.
(b) Hazel Shade.
(c) King Alfin the Vague.
(d) King Charles.
2. Why did King Charles' marriage fail?
(a) His wife could not bear children.
(b) His wife cheated on him.
(c) He is a homosexual.
(d) His wife was captured.
3. Joseph S. Lavender is a collector of what?
(d) Zemblan art.
4. According to Kinbote, what is the third method of composing poetry?
(a) Through prayer.
(b) By memory.
5. When Gradus attempts to visit Joseph S. Lavender, Lavender asks Gradus if he is a/an ______?
(a) Art dealer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kinbote find the term "Tangra dust?"
2. Why does Kinbote think Russians are gloomy?
3. What is John Shade doing when Charles Kinbote hallucinates that he hears his voice?
4. Oswin Bretwit kicks out Gradus when he realizes Gradus is not a Royalist. What does Bretwit assume is Gradus' profession?
5. Kinbote criticizes the passage in which Shade alternates between the story of his daughter's death, and what he and his wife are doing at the time. What is his major criticism of this passage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kinbote relate to the death of Hazel?
2. Briefly summarize the conversation Kinbote overhears between Shade and Mrs. Hurley, and its relevance to "Pale Fire."
3. What is odd about the way Kinbote tells the story of Gradus?
4. What does Kinbote do when he runs into Shade on the way to the doctor's office?
5. How does Kinbote respond when a professor tells him he looks like King Charles? Why might he react that way?
6. What does Kinbote think about John Shade's lack of religion?
7. How does Kinbote summarize Canto Four?
8. How does Gradus learn the location of the king?
9. How does Kinbote portray Hazel, and the scene in the barn?
10. What happens when Gradus and his commanders try to send coded messages?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)