|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Charles Kinbote do with the cat?
(a) He gave it to the maid.
(b) He accidentally poisoned it.
(c) He gave it to John Shade as a birthday gift.
(d) He wrote a poem about it.
2. John Shade vows to further explore what in Canto Two?
(a) The possibility of an afterlife.
(b) Reincarnation vs. heaven and hell.
(c) The depths of human consciousness.
(d) The Zemblan Kings and their Gods.
3. Queen Blenda's favorite hobby is ______ .
(c) Bird watching.
4. Who gives Kinbote information about John Shade's daughter?
(a) John Shade.
(b) Sybil Shade.
(c) An old newspaper article.
(d) Shade's former secretary.
5. Who is King Charles' grandfather?
(b) King Alfin the Vague.
(c) Thurgus the Third.
(d) Charles Kinbote.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once King Charles is outside his room he must escape from what part of the castle?
2. What is the assassin's real name?
3. What was John Shade's "first book" as mentioned in Canto Four?
4. John Shade gives a lecture on what in Canto Three?
5. Following the death of King Charles' mother, Queen Blenda, a seance is held for what purpose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give examples from the text of reasons that the Extremists are unable to find King Charles once he escapes.
2. How does Kinbote characterize his relationship with John Shade?
3. What was the original use of the secret passageway in the Zemblan castle? Where does it lead?
4. Briefly describe John and Sybil Shade's relationship.
5. What are a few of John Shade's pet peeves?
6. Name some sports at which Kinbote is proficient.
7. Describe John Shade's daughter.
8. Briefly describe John Shade's vision of the after-life.
9. List a few possible motivations for Shade's desire to learn more about the after-life.
10. Give some examples of translation as a theme in Canto One.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)