|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A fellow-professor calls Charles Kinbote by what nickname?
(a) The King of Zembla.
(b) Prof. C.
(c) Gerald Emerald.
(d) The Great Beaver.
2. On what day did John Shade begin composing his poem "Pale Fire?"
(a) July 5th.
(b) July 1st.
(c) We are not told explicitly, only that it is during the summer.
(d) July 4th.
3. Which pair best describe the prominent motifs of the first Canto?
(a) Windows and snow.
(b) Nature and death.
(c) Innocence and loss.
(d) Nature and technology.
4. "Forty ounces of fine sand" describes what in Canto One?
(a) The texture of a windowpane.
(b) A length of time.
(c) A bird's nest.
(d) Snow falling from the sky.
5. How old was Shade when he wrote Canto Two?
(b) We are never told exactly, only that he is "a youth".
Short Answer Questions
1. How did King Alfin the Vague die?
2. Which of the following is not mentioned by Shade in Canto One?
3. How does John Shade refer to the I.P.H.?
4. Which of the following best describes the pervading theme of Canto Four?
5. What animal did Shade's parents study?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe John Shade's daughter.
2. Give a brief synopsis of King Charles' escape.
3. What is Kinbote's secret?
4. What do we learn about King Charles X in Canto Two?
5. Name some sports at which Kinbote is proficient.
6. Briefly describe the IPH.
7. Briefly describe Fleur.
8. What does John Shade ponder in the beginning of Canto Two?
9. Does it surprise you that John Shade renounces religion yet he wants to believe in the after-life?
10. What events lead to the death of John Shade's daughter?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)