|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During what time of the year does John Shade prefer to write?
(d) Upon the conclusion of the Zemblan harvest.
2. After King Charles is out of the mountains, he receives a message to go to which of the following locations?
(a) New Wye.
(b) The Rippleton Caves.
(d) The Bera Range.
3. How does John Shade's daughter die?
(a) She steps in front of a train.
(b) She freezes to death in a field.
(c) She drowns.
(d) She poisons herself.
4. King Alfin the Vague was an amateur______ .
5. "Forty ounces of fine sand" describes what in Canto One?
(a) A bird's nest.
(b) Snow falling from the sky.
(c) A length of time.
(d) The texture of a windowpane.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kinbote is steadfast in his assertion that "Pale Fire" was intended to be how many lines long?
2. Which of the following best describes a recurring theme in the first Canto?
3. What event causes John Shade to have a vision of the afterlife?
4. What happened to Shade's parents when he was a boy?
5. In the commentary to Line 137, what phrase, used by John Shade in "Pale Fire", does Kinbote claim has no real meaning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give a brief synopsis of King Charles' escape.
2. How is Kinbote's birthday gift for Shade representative of Kinbote's commentary of the poem?
3. Briefly describe the IPH.
4. How are Gradus and Kinbote similar?
5. Does it surprise you that John Shade renounces religion yet he wants to believe in the after-life?
6. What are a few of John Shade's pet peeves?
7. What is significant about the bird in Canto One?
8. Briefly describe the supernatural occurrences in Canto Two.
9. How does Kinbote characterize his relationship with John Shade?
10. What are some ways Kinbote tries to make the poem be about himself as opposed to Shade's childhood?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)