|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event causes John Shade to have a vision of the afterlife?
(a) He is hit by a car.
(b) He gets lost in the Zemblan Mountains without food or water.
(c) He suffers a stroke.
(d) He has a heart attack.
2. What is the name of John Shade's aunt?
(b) She is never mentioned by name.
3. What happened to Shade's parents when he was a boy?
(a) They were imprisoned.
(b) They put him up for adoption.
(c) They died.
(d) They divorced/seperated.
4. John Shade comes to the realization that he can not find what at the I.P.H.?
(a) Truth about the sordid history of Zembla.
(b) Truth about Shakespeare's sonnets.
(c) Truth about the after-life.
(d) Truth about bird watching.
5. How do the extremists learn the King has escaped?
(a) He gives a radio broadcast.
(b) He is killed in New Wye.
(c) They find out Odon is making a film in France.
(d) He leaves a letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what time of day does John Shade prefer to write?
2. "Pale Fire" is broken up into how many cantos?
3. Which best describes Kinbote's reason for rejecting the offer by the first potential publisher of "Pale Fire"?
4. Kinbote leaves his blinds open to give him a better view of what?
5. What did Charles Kinbote do with the cat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe John Shade's writing process.
2. Describe John Shade's daughter.
3. How are Gradus and Kinbote similar?
4. What do we learn about John Shade's Aunt Maud in Canto One?
5. How does John Shade understand life?
6. Briefly describe John Shade's vision of the after-life.
7. What was the original use of the secret passageway in the Zemblan castle? Where does it lead?
8. What clues do you see that Charles Kinbote may not be what he seems?
9. How is Kinbote's birthday gift for Shade representative of Kinbote's commentary of the poem?
10. How does Charles Kinbote portray himself in the foreword?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)