|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the following, which has been added to Shade's childhood home?
(b) A garage.
(c) A TV antenna.
(d) A chimney.
2. Of the following, who is not mentioned in the first Canto?
(a) A Candian maid.
(b) Shade's aunt.
(c) The King of Zembla.
(d) Dr. Sutton.
3. Who sets up John Shade's daughter on a blind date?
(a) His secretary.
(c) His aunt.
(d) Dr. Sutton.
4. During the forward Charles Kinbote oddly notes that he is distracted by who/what?
(a) Sybill Shade.
(b) An amusement park.
(c) A squirrel.
5. How did King Alfin the Vague die?
(a) He had a stroke.
(b) He was assassinated.
(c) He committed suicide.
(d) In a plane crash.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the assassin's real name?
2. Where was the foreword written?
3. Queen Blenda's favorite hobby is ______ .
4. A fellow-professor calls Charles Kinbote by what nickname?
5. What does Kinbote do during John Shade's birthday party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What clues do you see that Charles Kinbote may not be what he seems?
2. How does Kinbote characterize his relationship with John Shade?
3. What is Kinbote's secret?
4. What are some early examples of reflection as a theme in the poem "Pale Fire?"
5. What do we learn about King Charles X in Canto Two?
6. What events lead to the death of John Shade's daughter?
7. Provide an example or two of the reflection motif found between the commentary to lines 131 and the commentary to lines 162.
8. Give a brief synopsis of King Charles' escape.
9. Briefly describe Fleur.
10. Describe John Shade's daughter.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)