|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes King Alfin the Vague?
(a) Evil and harsh.
(b) Crafty and intelligent.
(c) Powerful and vindictive.
(d) Absent-minded and unworldly.
2. Who is the previous inhabitant of Charles Kinbote's house?
(a) Judge Goldsmith.
(b) Dr. Sutton.
(c) The King of Zembla.
(d) Wordsmith University's gardener.
3. Charles Kinbote wants the reader to see the image of who/what after reading the lines 131-132, "I was the waxing slain by feigned remoteness in the windowpane?"
(a) John Shade's blackouts.
(d) Sybil Shade.
4. What does Kinbote give John Shade for his birthday?
(a) A book of poetry.
(b) A gown.
(c) A chess board.
(d) A drawing of King Charles' castle.
5. How does John Shade understand his life?
(a) Through his poetry.
(b) Through his wife's love.
(c) Through the love of his daughter.
(d) Through religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which pair best describe the prominent motifs of the first Canto?
2. How do the people of Zembla aid in King Charles' flight?
3. Which of the following best describes the pervading theme of Canto Four?
4. During the forward Charles Kinbote oddly notes that he is distracted by who/what?
5. What event causes John Shade to have a vision of the afterlife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give examples from the text of reasons that the Extremists are unable to find King Charles once he escapes.
2. Briefly describe the supernatural occurrences in Canto Two.
3. Describe John Shade's daughter.
4. What does John Shade ponder in the beginning of Canto Two?
5. Name some sports at which Kinbote is proficient.
6. What do we learn about John Shade's Aunt Maud in Canto One?
7. What are some ways Kinbote tries to make the poem be about himself as opposed to Shade's childhood?
8. What events lead to the death of John Shade's daughter?
9. Cite an early clue that Charles Kinbote is an unreliable narrator.
10. What is Kinbote's secret?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)