|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charles Kinbote wants the reader to see the image of who/what after reading the lines 131-132, "I was the waxing slain by feigned remoteness in the windowpane?"
(b) Sybil Shade.
(c) John Shade's blackouts.
2. Of the following, who is not mentioned in the first Canto?
(a) Shade's aunt.
(b) The King of Zembla.
(c) A Candian maid.
(d) Dr. Sutton.
3. John Shade recites his poetry to one person prior to its publication. Who is that person?
(a) The king of Zembla.
(b) His wife.
(c) Charles Kinbote.
(d) Dr. Sutton.
4. How does King Charles flee Zembla?
(a) By plane.
(b) By boat.
(c) By car.
(d) On foot.
5. Who gives Kinbote information about John Shade's daughter?
(a) Shade's former secretary.
(b) An old newspaper article.
(c) Sybil Shade.
(d) John Shade.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Kinbote, where did Sybil Shade relocate to upon John Shade's death?
2. According to Kinbote, who was Thurgus the Third's lover?
3. Following the death of King Charles' mother, Queen Blenda, a seance is held for what purpose?
4. What are the two most important things in Shade's life?
5. How many lines are in Canto Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe John Shade's daughter.
2. How does Kinbote characterize his relationship with John Shade?
3. Briefly describe the supernatural occurrences in Canto Two.
4. What clues do you see that Charles Kinbote may not be what he seems?
5. Give some examples of translation as a theme in Canto One.
6. Briefly describe John Shade's vision of the after-life.
7. Briefly describe Fleur.
8. Describe John Shade's writing process.
9. What are two major criticisms John Shade has of his students? How is this ironic?
10. What are some ways Kinbote tries to make the poem be about himself as opposed to Shade's childhood?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)