|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the secret group that sends an assassin after King Charles?
(a) The Shadows.
(b) The Freudians.
(c) The Marxists.
(d) The Extreme.
2. What are the two ways to write according to Shade in Canto Three?
(a) Indoors and outdoors.
(b) In the mind and while writing.
(c) In the bathtub, and at a desk.
(d) Literally and ironically.
3. According to Kinbote, who was Thurgus the Third's lover?
(a) Maude Shade.
(b) Iris Acht.
4. What does Kinbote do during John Shade's birthday party?
(a) He drinks alone.
(b) He plays chess.
(c) He writes and listens to music.
(d) He spies on the party.
5. Which of the following is not among John Shade's pet peeves?
(c) Super market music.
(d) Abstract art.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kinbote is steadfast in his assertion that "Pale Fire" was intended to be how many lines long?
2. How do the Shade's spend the evening of their daughter's blind date?
3. What happened to Shade's parents when he was a boy?
4. How does John Shade refer to the I.P.H.?
5. How does King Charles get out of the room where he is being held prisoner without being detected?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think of Kinbote's disregard for psychoanalysis?
2. Does Kinbote really believe he is the king?
3. Give examples from the text of reasons that the Extremists are unable to find King Charles once he escapes.
4. Briefly recount Gradus' experience on the day he killed Shade, as told by Kinbote.
5. How does John Shade describe himself as a youth in Canto One?
6. Why does Kinbote insist on meeting Shade on July 19th?
7. What is Kinbote's secret?
8. What events lead to the death of John Shade's daughter?
9. Who does Disa mirror in Kinbote's life?
10. How does John Shade understand life?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)