Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did John Shade begin Canto Two?
(a) On his wedding anniversary.
(b) July 5th.
(c) July 4th.
(d) On the anniversary of his daughter's death.
2. Who makes sexual advances on King Charles during the commentary to line 149?
3. Which of the following is not mentioned by Shade in Canto One?
(a) The sky.
(b) Dr. Sutton.
(c) A baseball game.
(d) The Zemblan countryside.
4. After King Charles is out of the mountains, he receives a message to go to which of the following locations?
(a) The Rippleton Caves.
(b) New Wye.
(d) The Bera Range.
5. King Alfin the Vague was an amateur______ .
Short Answer Questions
1. Once King Charles is outside his room he must escape from what part of the castle?
2. Charles Kinbote thinks John Shade enjoyed more "creative freedom" during the composition of which Canto?
3. How did King Alfin the Vague die?
4. During the forward Charles Kinbote oddly notes that he is distracted by who/what?
5. What happened to Shade's parents when he was a boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe John Shade's writing process.
2. What does Kinbote do when he runs into Shade on the way to the doctor's office?
3. Describe John Shade's daughter.
4. How does Kinbote respond when a professor tells him he looks like King Charles? Why might he react that way?
5. Briefly recount Gradus' experience on the day he killed Shade, as told by Kinbote.
6. Briefly compare Kinbote's Zemblan assassin story with what you perceive as the reality of the situation.
7. How does John Shade understand life?
8. What events lead to the death of John Shade's daughter?
9. What does John Shade ponder in the beginning of Canto Two?
10. How does Kinbote characterize his relationship with John Shade?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)