|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. King Alfin the Vague was an amateur______ .
2. How many lines are in Canto Four?
(a) 999 lines.
(b) 165 lines.
(c) 166 lines.
(d) 334 lines.
3. What happens to John Shade's aunt?
(a) She drowns in a lake.
(b) She falls down the stairs and breaks her hip.
(c) She has a stroke and is moved to a sanitarium.
(d) She has a heart attack and dies.
4. Where was the foreword written?
(a) New Wye.
(b) Cedarn, Utana.
5. How do the people of Zembla aid in King Charles' flight?
(a) They dress like him to serve as decoys.
(b) They provide Charles refuge along the way.
(c) They fight off the Extremists.
(d) They create a distraction with a hot air balloon.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the commentary to Line 181, Shade produces a book by what author and shows it to Sybil Shade?
2. On what day did John Shade begin composing his poem "Pale Fire?"
3. Which best describes Kinbote's reason for rejecting the offer by the first potential publisher of "Pale Fire"?
4. "Forty ounces of fine sand" describes what in Canto One?
5. How does King Charles flee Zembla?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly compare Kinbote's Zemblan assassin story with what you perceive as the reality of the situation.
2. Briefly describe John Shade's vision of the after-life.
3. Give some examples of translation as a theme in Canto One.
4. What does Kinbote think about John Shade's lack of religion?
5. How does Kinbote describe the Russian guards who are after the Zemblan Crown Jewels?
6. Briefly describe King Alfin the Vague.
7. What happens when Gradus and his commanders try to send coded messages?
8. What are some early examples of reflection as a theme in the poem "Pale Fire?"
9. Name some sports at which Kinbote is proficient.
10. How is Kinbote critical of Professor Hurley?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)