|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who raises John Shade during his childhood?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) Dr. Sutton.
(d) His aunt.
2. Which of the following best describes King Alfin the Vague?
(a) Crafty and intelligent.
(b) Powerful and vindictive.
(c) Evil and harsh.
(d) Absent-minded and unworldly.
3. John Shade is skeptical but he wants to believe in what?
(b) His daughther is still alive.
(c) The after-life.
(d) His lineage of Zemblan Kings.
4. Following the death of King Charles' mother, Queen Blenda, a seance is held for what purpose?
(a) So Charles can talk to his mother.
(b) To convince Charles to marry Fleur.
(c) To rid the castle of evil spirits.
(d) To bring Queen Blenda's spirit back to earth.
5. What typically goes on at the I.P.H.?
(a) People gather to discuss the after-life.
(b) People gather to discuss Zemblan history.
(c) People gather to discuss different species of birds.
(d) Poets gather to read their work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Charles Kinbote gave John Shade a detailed drawing of King Charles' castle; what does he want John Shade's wife to do with the picture?
2. Of the following, who is not mentioned in the first Canto?
3. What does Shade find out when he tracks down the woman who had the same vision of the after-life that he did?
4. What animal did Shade's parents study?
5. What is the name of the secret group that sends an assassin after King Charles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are a few of John Shade's pet peeves?
2. What are two major criticisms John Shade has of his students? How is this ironic?
3. Give a brief synopsis of King Charles' escape.
4. List a few possible motivations for Shade's desire to learn more about the after-life.
5. What do we learn about John Shade's Aunt Maud in Canto One?
6. How does John Shade understand life?
7. Briefly describe the supernatural occurrences in Canto Two.
8. What does John Shade ponder in the beginning of Canto Two?
9. Give some examples of translation as a theme in Canto One.
10. What do we learn about King Charles X in Canto Two?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)