|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charles Kinbote wants the reader to see the image of who/what after reading the lines 131-132, "I was the waxing slain by feigned remoteness in the windowpane?"
(a) Sybil Shade.
(d) John Shade's blackouts.
2. The first draft of "Pale Fire" was composed on a series of index cards. How many index cards did the author use?
3. Who is the previous inhabitant of Charles Kinbote's house?
(a) Judge Goldsmith.
(b) Dr. Sutton.
(c) The King of Zembla.
(d) Wordsmith University's gardener.
4. Where do the Shade's travel to take their minds off their daughter's death?
(a) New Wye.
5. During what time of the year does John Shade prefer to write?
(b) Upon the conclusion of the Zemblan harvest.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does King Charles flee Zembla?
2. What happened to Shade's parents when he was a boy?
3. John Shade gives a lecture on what in Canto Three?
4. Once King Charles is outside his room he must escape from what part of the castle?
5. What are the two most important things in Shade's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. List a few possible motivations for Shade's desire to learn more about the after-life.
2. What are two major criticisms John Shade has of his students? How is this ironic?
3. How does John Shade describe himself as a youth in Canto One?
4. Briefly describe the IPH.
5. Briefly describe King Alfin the Vague.
6. Briefly describe John and Sybil Shade's relationship.
7. What are a few of John Shade's pet peeves?
8. What is significant about the bird in Canto One?
9. What was the original use of the secret passageway in the Zemblan castle? Where does it lead?
10. Describe John Shade's daughter.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)