|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to John Shade's aunt?
(a) She has a stroke and is moved to a sanitarium.
(b) She has a heart attack and dies.
(c) She falls down the stairs and breaks her hip.
(d) She drowns in a lake.
2. What are the two ways to write according to Shade in Canto Three?
(a) In the bathtub, and at a desk.
(b) Literally and ironically.
(c) In the mind and while writing.
(d) Indoors and outdoors.
3. During what time of day does John Shade prefer to write?
(a) Bath time.
(b) Late afternoon.
(c) After dinner.
4. Which of the following most closely describes Kinbote's depiction by university drama students?
(a) A brilliant writer and professor who is loyal to his friend John Shade.
(b) A raving lunatic with no perception of reality.
(c) A displaced Zemblan king on the run from assassins.
(d) A pompus woman-hater with a German accent.
5. According to Kinbote, where did Sybil Shade relocate to upon John Shade's death?
Short Answer Questions
1. Following the death of King Charles' mother, Queen Blenda, a seance is held for what purpose?
2. Why does young King Charles refuse to consummate his relationship with Fleur?
3. How do the extremists try to prevent King Charles from leaving the country?
4. While he makes his way through the mountains, King Charles stops to spend the night in which of the following places?
5. Which of the following best describes King Alfin the Vague?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Kinbote's birthday gift for Shade representative of Kinbote's commentary of the poem?
2. What are a few of John Shade's pet peeves?
3. Briefly describe the IPH.
4. Briefly describe the supernatural occurrences in Canto Two.
5. How does Charles Kinbote portray himself in the foreword?
6. What events lead to the death of John Shade's daughter?
7. What is significant about the bird in Canto One?
8. What does John Shade ponder in the beginning of Canto Two?
9. How is Kinbote critical of Professor Hurley?
10. Describe John Shade's writing process.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)