|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charles Kinbote writes a brief play about what event?
(a) Hazel Shade's seance.
(b) King Charles' escape.
(c) The Shades' vacation.
(d) John Shade's birthday.
2. Who is Kinbote's primary source of information on John Shade's daughter?
(a) Dr. Sutton.
(b) Jane Provost.
(c) John Shade.
(d) Sybil Shade.
3. Which of the following does Kinbote discuss in this section?
(b) Dr. Sutton.
4. According to Kinbote, what is the third method of composing poetry?
(a) By memory.
(b) Through prayer.
5. According to Kinbote, what is the best part of Canto Four?
(a) The last line.
(b) The rhymes.
(c) The part about Zembla.
(d) The opening.
6. Which of the following adjectives fits Kinbote's description of the Russians as they search the castle?
7. Who tells Gradus Disa's estate is empty?
(a) A taxi driver.
(b) A Russian spy.
(c) Charles Kinbote.
8. Kinbote criticizes the passage in which Shade alternates between the story of his daughter's death, and what he and his wife are doing at the time. What is his major criticism of this passage?
(a) It is unrealistic.
(b) It is too drawn out.
(c) It is not sincere enough.
(d) It doesn't rhyme.
9. Shade refers to a book by which of the following authors in Line 384?
10. According to Kinbote, what is Gradus doing while John Shade is composing Canto Four?
(a) Waiting for orders from the Shadows.
(d) Traveling to America.
11. Who circulated a letter objecting to Charles Kinbote editing "Pale Fire?"
(a) Sybil Shade.
(b) Professor Nattochdag.
(c) Dr. Sutton.
(d) Gerald Emerald.
12. Kinbote claims the Russians are good at what sport?
(a) Ice hockey.
13. Who tells Kinbote the Shades' vacation destination?
(a) John Shade's secretary.
(b) John Shade.
(c) The gardener.
(d) Kinbote's doctor.
14. What message did Gradus incorrectly give headquarters?
(a) He does not know the king's location.
(b) He is on the way to America.
(c) He has received the salmon.
(d) He knows the king's location.
15. John Shade says, "There's nothing wrong with shedding a dismal past to substitute pleasing _________?"
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Kinbote what is the only real name used in the poem, "Pale Fire?"
2. King Charles was only able to love the queen______.
3. Why does Kinbote think Russians are gloomy?
4. At his hotel Gradus receives orders from headquarters telling him to do what?
5. Kinbote is what religion?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)