|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At his hotel Gradus receives orders from headquarters telling him to do what?
(b) Go to Disa's estate.
(c) Take a taxi to Paris.
(d) Go to New Wye.
2. Kinbote claims some people on campus said he resembles which of the following people?
(b) Dr. Sutton.
(c) King Charles.
(d) John Shade.
3. Which of the following adjectives fits Kinbote's description of the Russians as they search the castle?
4. King Charles was only able to love the queen______.
(a) In his dreams.
(b) After the invasion.
(c) Before they were married.
(d) While in captivity.
5. Kinbote believes who will be punished by God?
(d) No one.
6. Why does Kinbote think Russians are gloomy?
(a) The weather.
(b) The death of King Charles.
(c) Too much vodka.
(d) Enforced nationalism.
7. Charles Kinbote writes a brief play about what event?
(a) Hazel Shade's seance.
(b) King Charles' escape.
(c) John Shade's birthday.
(d) The Shades' vacation.
8. What is John Shade doing when Charles Kinbote hallucinates that he hears his voice?
(b) Writing Canto Three.
(c) Making love to his wife.
9. What does Gradus bring Oswin Bretwit?
(a) A valuable coin collection.
(b) A map of Zembla.
(c) Letters between Bretwit's family members.
(d) A newspaper.
10. Where does Kinbote find the term "Tangra dust?"
(a) In his copy of Timon of Athens.
(b) In an early draft of the poem.
(c) Written on a napkin.
(d) In the dictionary.
11. Where are the Shades' planning to go on vacation?
12. In this section, Kinbote gives an extended, negative critique of what?
(a) The New Wye faculty.
(b) John Shade's word choice.
(c) John Shade's religious views.
(d) Sybil Shade's translations.
13. In this section (Lines 597-608), Charles Kinbote spies on a conversation between John Shade and whom?
(a) Mrs. Hurley.
(b) Sybil Shade.
(c) Dr. Sutton.
14. Kinbote claims the Russians are good at what sport?
(d) Ice hockey.
15. According to Kinbote what is the only real name used in the poem, "Pale Fire?"
(b) Starover Blue.
Short Answer Questions
1. What message did Gradus incorrectly give headquarters?
2. What Kinbote thought was an amusement park outside is actually what?
3. Shade refers to a book by which of the following authors in Line 384?
4. Kinbote criticizes the passage in which Shade alternates between the story of his daughter's death, and what he and his wife are doing at the time. What is his major criticism of this passage?
5. What is the name of Joseph S. Lavender's nephew?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)