|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Kinbote, King Charles lands near which city?
2. According to Kinbote, what does "Ex" stand for?
3. What word does Shade claim is incorrect in its meaning?
4. Kinbote is what religion?
5. When a visiting professor requests a picture of King Charles, who goes to get it?
(a) Charles Kinbote.
(b) Dr. Sutton.
(c) John Shade.
(d) Gerald Emerald.
6. Joseph S. Lavender is a collector of what?
(d) Zemblan art.
7. Where does Kinbote find the term "Tangra dust?"
(a) In his copy of Timon of Athens.
(b) In the dictionary.
(c) Written on a napkin.
(d) In an early draft of the poem.
8. Which of the following adjectives fits Kinbote's description of the Russians as they search the castle?
9. Which of the following does Kinbote discuss in this section?
(a) Dr. Sutton.
10. What does Charles Kinbote do when he finds out where the Shades' are planning to go on vacation?
(a) He rents a house in the same town.
(b) He sits in his house alone and drinks.
(c) He asks to go with them.
(d) He tries to convince them to stay in New Wye.
11. What ailment troubles Gradus when he arrives in New Wye?
(a) The flu.
12. According to Kinbote, what is Gradus doing while John Shade is composing Canto Four?
(c) Waiting for orders from the Shadows.
(d) Traveling to America.
13. Charles Kinbote writes a brief play about what event?
(a) Hazel Shade's seance.
(b) John Shade's birthday.
(c) King Charles' escape.
(d) The Shades' vacation.
14. What is one major point Kinbote and Shade disagree on?
15. In what state does Kinbote arrive as Shade begins his last batch of index cards?
(a) New Jersey.
(b) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did King Charles' marriage fail?
2. According to Kinbote, where did the Queen go when Zembla was invaded?
3. Who does Kinbote blame for taking John Shade away from religion?
4. Where does Gradus go to look for the king?
5. King Charles was only able to love the queen______.
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)