|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Shade claim is incorrect in its meaning?
2. What is the name of Joseph S. Lavender's nephew?
3. Kinbote reflects on the absurdity of what?
(a) Gerald Emerald.
(b) Sybil Shade.
4. Which of the following adjectives fits Kinbote's description of the Russians as they search the castle?
5. Gradus misinterprets a coded message from headquarters. What does he think his orders are?
(a) To wait in Geneva for further instructions.
(b) To follow the king to America.
(c) To wait in Geneva for a shipment of salmon.
(d) To dress in a red coat and hat.
6. When a visiting professor requests a picture of King Charles, who goes to get it?
(a) Charles Kinbote.
(b) John Shade.
(c) Gerald Emerald.
(d) Dr. Sutton.
7. John Shade says, "There's nothing wrong with shedding a dismal past to substitute pleasing _________?"
8. Charles Kinbote writes a brief play about what event?
(a) Hazel Shade's seance.
(b) King Charles' escape.
(c) The Shades' vacation.
(d) John Shade's birthday.
9. What does Charles Kinbote do when he finds out where the Shades' are planning to go on vacation?
(a) He sits in his house alone and drinks.
(b) He rents a house in the same town.
(c) He asks to go with them.
(d) He tries to convince them to stay in New Wye.
10. According to Kinbote Russians search for what Zemblan treasure?
(a) The Crown Jewels.
(b) The crown of King Alfin the Vague.
(c) A first printing of Timon of Athens.
(d) The journal of King Charles.
11. Why did King Charles' marriage fail?
(a) He is a homosexual.
(b) His wife was captured.
(c) His wife cheated on him.
(d) His wife could not bear children.
12. Shade mentions his wife translating poems into what language?
13. Who tells Gradus Disa's estate is empty?
(a) Charles Kinbote.
(b) A Russian spy.
(d) A taxi driver.
14. Whose spirit supposedly haunts the barn?
(a) Hazel Shade.
(b) King Alfin the Vague.
(c) King Charles.
(d) The farmer who used to sleep there.
15. Oswin Bretwit kicks out Gradus when he realizes Gradus is not a Royalist. What does Bretwit assume is Gradus' profession?
(a) A spy.
(b) An assassin.
(c) A Marxist recruiter.
(d) A reporter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Kinbote's primary source of information on John Shade's daughter?
2. Who does John Shade address in line 246 which ends "...my dear"
3. Which of the following best describes Gradus' feelings towards his role in the revolution?
4. Shade refers to a book by which of the following authors in Line 384?
5. What ailment troubles Gradus when he arrives in New Wye?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)