|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John Shade says, "There's nothing wrong with shedding a dismal past to substitute pleasing _________?"
2. According to Kinbote, what is the third method of composing poetry?
(b) Through prayer.
(d) By memory.
3. Kinbote recounts a walk with John Shade. On this walk Kinbote unsuccessfully tries to pry from Shade information about which of the following topics?
(a) Shade's poem.
(b) Plants and animals.
(d) Shade's daughter.
4. Kinbote is what religion?
5. According to Kinbote Russians search for what Zemblan treasure?
(a) A first printing of Timon of Athens.
(b) The Crown Jewels.
(c) The crown of King Alfin the Vague.
(d) The journal of King Charles.
6. Which of the following best describes the queen's initial feeling about King Charles when they meet after his escape?
(a) Adoringly devoted.
(b) Angry and frustrated.
(d) Hopeful and respectful.
7. Kinbote claims the Russians are good at what sport?
(d) Ice hockey.
8. What is John Shade doing when Charles Kinbote hallucinates that he hears his voice?
(a) Making love to his wife.
(d) Writing Canto Three.
9. Whose spirit supposedly haunts the barn?
(a) The farmer who used to sleep there.
(b) Hazel Shade.
(c) King Charles.
(d) King Alfin the Vague.
10. Kinbote reflects on the absurdity of what?
(b) Sybil Shade.
(c) Gerald Emerald.
11. In this section, Kinbote gives an extended, negative critique of what?
(a) Sybil Shade's translations.
(b) The New Wye faculty.
(c) John Shade's word choice.
(d) John Shade's religious views.
12. What Kinbote thought was an amusement park outside is actually what?
(c) A thunderstorm.
13. According to Kinbote, where did the Queen go when Zembla was invaded?
(b) Her estate on the Riviera.
14. What is the name of Joseph S. Lavender's nephew?
15. What does the name "Kinbote" mean?
(a) A great poet.
(b) A true friend.
(c) A lover of men.
(d) A king's killer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Charles Kinbote writes a brief play about what event?
2. How many times did Kinbote find Zembla directly mentioned?
3. Why did King Charles' marriage fail?
4. According to Kinbote, King Charles lands near which city?
5. Which of the following best describes Gradus' feelings towards his role in the revolution?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)