|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gradus bring Oswin Bretwit?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) A map of Zembla.
(c) Letters between Bretwit's family members.
(d) A valuable coin collection.
2. Where are the Shades' planning to go on vacation?
3. Kinbote describes Russian soldiers giving what to Zemblan children?
(d) Red hats and coats.
4. According to Kinbote, King Charles lands near which city?
5. What does the name "Kinbote" mean?
(a) A great poet.
(b) A lover of men.
(c) A king's killer.
(d) A true friend.
6. What Kinbote thought was an amusement park outside is actually what?
(c) A thunderstorm.
7. What is John Shade doing when Charles Kinbote hallucinates that he hears his voice?
(a) Writing Canto Three.
(d) Making love to his wife.
8. Who does John Shade address in line 246 which ends "...my dear"
(a) His daughter.
(b) His mother.
(c) His wife.
(d) Charles Kinbote.
9. Kinbote reflects on the absurdity of what?
(a) Gerald Emerald.
(b) Sybil Shade.
10. Kinbote criticizes the passage in which Shade alternates between the story of his daughter's death, and what he and his wife are doing at the time. What is his major criticism of this passage?
(a) It doesn't rhyme.
(b) It is unrealistic.
(c) It is too drawn out.
(d) It is not sincere enough.
11. Oswin Bretwit kicks out Gradus when he realizes Gradus is not a Royalist. What does Bretwit assume is Gradus' profession?
(a) A reporter.
(b) A Marxist recruiter.
(c) A spy.
(d) An assassin.
12. What word does Shade claim is incorrect in its meaning?
13. Shade refers to a book by which of the following authors in Line 384?
14. When Gradus attempts to visit Joseph S. Lavender, Lavender asks Gradus if he is a/an ______?
(b) Art dealer.
15. Who circulated a letter objecting to Charles Kinbote editing "Pale Fire?"
(a) Gerald Emerald.
(b) Professor Nattochdag.
(c) Sybil Shade.
(d) Dr. Sutton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did King Charles' marriage fail?
2. How many times did Kinbote find Zembla directly mentioned?
3. What is one major point Kinbote and Shade disagree on?
4. Gradus misinterprets a coded message from headquarters. What does he think his orders are?
5. According to Kinbote, what is the best part of Canto Four?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)