|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kinbote reflects on the absurdity of what?
(c) Gerald Emerald.
(d) Sybil Shade.
2. What does Charles Kinbote do when he finds out where the Shades' are planning to go on vacation?
(a) He rents a house in the same town.
(b) He asks to go with them.
(c) He tries to convince them to stay in New Wye.
(d) He sits in his house alone and drinks.
3. Where are the Shades' planning to go on vacation?
4. Charles Kinbote writes a brief play about what event?
(a) The Shades' vacation.
(b) Hazel Shade's seance.
(c) King Charles' escape.
(d) John Shade's birthday.
5. Which of the following best describes the queen's initial feeling about King Charles when they meet after his escape?
(a) Hopeful and respectful.
(c) Angry and frustrated.
(d) Adoringly devoted.
6. What Kinbote thought was an amusement park outside is actually what?
(a) A thunderstorm.
7. Kinbote is what religion?
8. In this section (Lines 597-608), Charles Kinbote spies on a conversation between John Shade and whom?
(a) Sybil Shade.
(b) Dr. Sutton.
(d) Mrs. Hurley.
9. Kinbote describes Russian soldiers giving what to Zemblan children?
(d) Red hats and coats.
10. At his hotel Gradus receives orders from headquarters telling him to do what?
(a) Go to New Wye.
(b) Go to Disa's estate.
(d) Take a taxi to Paris.
11. John Shade says, "There's nothing wrong with shedding a dismal past to substitute pleasing _________?"
12. Oswin Bretwit kicks out Gradus when he realizes Gradus is not a Royalist. What does Bretwit assume is Gradus' profession?
(a) A spy.
(b) A reporter.
(c) An assassin.
(d) A Marxist recruiter.
13. Where does Gradus go to look for the king?
14. When a visiting professor requests a picture of King Charles, who goes to get it?
(a) Charles Kinbote.
(b) John Shade.
(c) Gerald Emerald.
(d) Dr. Sutton.
15. Kinbote believes who will be punished by God?
(a) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Kinbote Russians search for what Zemblan treasure?
2. When Gradus attempts to visit Joseph S. Lavender, Lavender asks Gradus if he is a/an ______?
3. Kinbote rejects the idea that randomness extends into what?
4. According to Kinbote, what is Gradus doing while John Shade is composing Canto Four?
5. Kinbote fills in a blank space in "Pale Fire" with what name?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)