|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. King Charles was only able to love the queen______.
(a) Before they were married.
(b) After the invasion.
(c) In his dreams.
(d) While in captivity.
2. Who circulated a letter objecting to Charles Kinbote editing "Pale Fire?"
(a) Gerald Emerald.
(b) Dr. Sutton.
(c) Sybil Shade.
(d) Professor Nattochdag.
3. Which of the following does Kinbote discuss in this section?
(d) Dr. Sutton.
4. According to Kinbote in the commentary, the queen resembles______.
(a) Iris Acht, the famous actress.
(b) Sybil Shade.
(c) Shade's secretary.
(d) A young boy.
5. What Kinbote thought was an amusement park outside is actually what?
(d) A thunderstorm.
6. According to Kinbote, King Charles lands near which city?
7. Who tells Gradus Disa's estate is empty?
(a) A taxi driver.
(b) A Russian spy.
(d) Charles Kinbote.
8. On what date does John Shade compose lines 797-809?
(a) July 1st.
(b) July 4th.
(c) July 9th.
(d) July 19th.
9. According to Kinbote, where did the Queen go when Zembla was invaded?
(a) Her estate on the Riviera.
10. Whose spirit supposedly haunts the barn?
(a) King Charles.
(b) The farmer who used to sleep there.
(c) King Alfin the Vague.
(d) Hazel Shade.
11. Which of the following adjectives fits Kinbote's description of the Russians as they search the castle?
12. What is one major point Kinbote and Shade disagree on?
13. At his hotel Gradus receives orders from headquarters telling him to do what?
(b) Go to New Wye.
(c) Go to Disa's estate.
(d) Take a taxi to Paris.
14. According to Kinbote, what is Gradus doing while John Shade is composing Canto Four?
(b) Traveling to America.
(c) Waiting for orders from the Shadows.
15. Why did King Charles' marriage fail?
(a) His wife was captured.
(b) His wife could not bear children.
(c) He is a homosexual.
(d) His wife cheated on him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kinbote find the term "Tangra dust?"
2. Kinbote is what religion?
3. What is John Shade doing when Charles Kinbote hallucinates that he hears his voice?
4. Oswin Bretwit kicks out Gradus when he realizes Gradus is not a Royalist. What does Bretwit assume is Gradus' profession?
5. In this section, Kinbote gives an extended, negative critique of what?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)