|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What message did Gradus incorrectly give headquarters?
(a) He does not know the king's location.
(b) He is on the way to America.
(c) He knows the king's location.
(d) He has received the salmon.
2. According to Kinbote, what is the third method of composing poetry?
(c) Through prayer.
(d) By memory.
3. Kinbote is what religion?
4. Shade refers to a book by which of the following authors in Line 384?
5. Who is Kinbote's primary source of information on John Shade's daughter?
(a) Jane Provost.
(b) Dr. Sutton.
(c) John Shade.
(d) Sybil Shade.
6. King Charles was only able to love the queen______.
(a) While in captivity.
(b) Before they were married.
(c) In his dreams.
(d) After the invasion.
7. Who does John Shade address in line 246 which ends "...my dear"
(a) His mother.
(b) His wife.
(c) Charles Kinbote.
(d) His daughter.
8. Who circulated a letter objecting to Charles Kinbote editing "Pale Fire?"
(a) Dr. Sutton.
(b) Sybil Shade.
(c) Gerald Emerald.
(d) Professor Nattochdag.
9. According to Kinbote, where did the Queen go when Zembla was invaded?
(c) Her estate on the Riviera.
10. Kinbote claims the Russians are good at what sport?
(b) Ice hockey.
11. In what state does Kinbote arrive as Shade begins his last batch of index cards?
(b) New Jersey.
(c) New York.
12. According to Kinbote, what is Gradus doing while John Shade is composing Canto Four?
(b) Waiting for orders from the Shadows.
(d) Traveling to America.
13. What is the name of Joseph S. Lavender's nephew?
14. Where are the Shades' planning to go on vacation?
15. In this section, Kinbote gives an extended, negative critique of what?
(a) Sybil Shade's translations.
(b) John Shade's religious views.
(c) John Shade's word choice.
(d) The New Wye faculty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Oswin Bretwit kicks out Gradus when he realizes Gradus is not a Royalist. What does Bretwit assume is Gradus' profession?
2. What does the name "Kinbote" mean?
3. Kinbote fills in a blank space in "Pale Fire" with what name?
4. What is John Shade doing when Charles Kinbote hallucinates that he hears his voice?
5. What ailment troubles Gradus when he arrives in New Wye?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)