|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Shade mentions his wife translating poems into what language?
2. Kinbote is what religion?
3. How many times did Kinbote find Zembla directly mentioned?
4. According to Kinbote in the commentary, the queen resembles______.
(a) Sybil Shade.
(b) Shade's secretary.
(c) Iris Acht, the famous actress.
(d) A young boy.
5. What is one major point Kinbote and Shade disagree on?
6. Kinbote claims the Russians are good at what sport?
(b) Ice hockey.
7. According to Kinbote, what is the best part of Canto Four?
(a) The opening.
(b) The rhymes.
(c) The last line.
(d) The part about Zembla.
8. Which of the following best describes King Charles' marriage?
9. In what state does Kinbote arrive as Shade begins his last batch of index cards?
(b) New York.
(c) New Jersey.
10. What does Charles Kinbote do when he finds out where the Shades' are planning to go on vacation?
(a) He sits in his house alone and drinks.
(b) He rents a house in the same town.
(c) He asks to go with them.
(d) He tries to convince them to stay in New Wye.
11. When Gradus attempts to visit Joseph S. Lavender, Lavender asks Gradus if he is a/an ______?
(b) Art dealer.
12. According to Kinbote, what does "Ex" stand for?
13. What word does Shade claim is incorrect in its meaning?
14. According to Kinbote what is the only real name used in the poem, "Pale Fire?"
(c) Starover Blue.
15. What does the name "Kinbote" mean?
(a) A great poet.
(b) A lover of men.
(c) A true friend.
(d) A king's killer.
Short Answer Questions
1. In this section (Lines 597-608), Charles Kinbote spies on a conversation between John Shade and whom?
2. What is the name of Joseph S. Lavender's nephew?
3. According to Kinbote Russians search for what Zemblan treasure?
4. Kinbote rejects the idea that randomness extends into what?
5. Shade refers to a book by which of the following authors in Line 384?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)