|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Gradus Disa's estate is empty?
(a) Charles Kinbote.
(c) A taxi driver.
(d) A Russian spy.
2. Kinbote describes Russian soldiers giving what to Zemblan children?
(a) Red hats and coats.
3. According to Kinbote, King Charles lands near which city?
4. What is John Shade doing when Charles Kinbote hallucinates that he hears his voice?
(c) Making love to his wife.
(d) Writing Canto Three.
5. Kinbote rejects the idea that randomness extends into what?
(a) Zemblan theology.
(b) The afterlife.
(c) King Charles' assassination.
6. According to Kinbote in the commentary, the queen resembles______.
(a) A young boy.
(b) Shade's secretary.
(c) Sybil Shade.
(d) Iris Acht, the famous actress.
7. According to Kinbote, what is Gradus doing while John Shade is composing Canto Four?
(b) Waiting for orders from the Shadows.
(d) Traveling to America.
8. Which of the following best describes Gradus' feelings towards his role in the revolution?
(a) He is reluctant to kill.
(b) He enjoys it.
(c) He feels trapped.
(d) He thinks he is saving the world.
9. Who does John Shade address in line 246 which ends "...my dear"
(a) Charles Kinbote.
(b) His mother.
(c) His daughter.
(d) His wife.
10. According to Kinbote, what is the best part of Canto Four?
(a) The rhymes.
(b) The opening.
(c) The last line.
(d) The part about Zembla.
11. Which of the following does Kinbote discuss in this section?
(d) Dr. Sutton.
12. Charles Kinbote writes a brief play about what event?
(a) John Shade's birthday.
(b) Hazel Shade's seance.
(c) King Charles' escape.
(d) The Shades' vacation.
13. Joseph S. Lavender is a collector of what?
(a) Zemblan art.
14. Shade refers to a book by which of the following authors in Line 384?
15. Which of the following best describes the queen's initial feeling about King Charles when they meet after his escape?
(a) Adoringly devoted.
(c) Angry and frustrated.
(d) Hopeful and respectful.
Short Answer Questions
1. In this section (Lines 597-608), Charles Kinbote spies on a conversation between John Shade and whom?
2. Kinbote recounts a walk with John Shade. On this walk Kinbote unsuccessfully tries to pry from Shade information about which of the following topics?
3. Kinbote believes who will be punished by God?
4. Who is Kinbote's primary source of information on John Shade's daughter?
5. Whose letter reveals the king's location to Gradus?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)