|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Oswin Bretwit kicks out Gradus when he realizes Gradus is not a Royalist. What does Bretwit assume is Gradus' profession?
(a) A Marxist recruiter.
(b) A reporter.
(c) An assassin.
(d) A spy.
2. King Charles was only able to love the queen______.
(a) Before they were married.
(b) After the invasion.
(c) While in captivity.
(d) In his dreams.
3. Where does Gradus go to look for the king?
4. Kinbote has an auditory hallucination of John Shade's voice telling him to do what?
(a) Go for a walk.
(b) Go to his house.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Write a poem.
5. What Kinbote thought was an amusement park outside is actually what?
(b) A thunderstorm.
6. Kinbote believes who will be punished by God?
(b) No one.
7. According to Kinbote, what is the best part of Canto Four?
(a) The rhymes.
(b) The opening.
(c) The last line.
(d) The part about Zembla.
8. Who is Kinbote's primary source of information on John Shade's daughter?
(a) John Shade.
(b) Jane Provost.
(c) Sybil Shade.
(d) Dr. Sutton.
9. Which of the following adjectives fits Kinbote's description of the Russians as they search the castle?
10. Kinbote criticizes the passage in which Shade alternates between the story of his daughter's death, and what he and his wife are doing at the time. What is his major criticism of this passage?
(a) It is unrealistic.
(b) It is too drawn out.
(c) It doesn't rhyme.
(d) It is not sincere enough.
11. According to Kinbote in the commentary, the queen resembles______.
(a) Iris Acht, the famous actress.
(b) Sybil Shade.
(c) Shade's secretary.
(d) A young boy.
12. Shade mentions his wife translating poems into what language?
13. John Shade says, "There's nothing wrong with shedding a dismal past to substitute pleasing _________?"
14. According to Kinbote, what is the third method of composing poetry?
(a) Through prayer.
(b) By memory.
15. What does Gradus bring Oswin Bretwit?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) A map of Zembla.
(c) A valuable coin collection.
(d) Letters between Bretwit's family members.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Kinbote what is the only real name used in the poem, "Pale Fire?"
2. Gradus misinterprets a coded message from headquarters. What does he think his orders are?
3. Which of the following best describes the queen's initial feeling about King Charles when they meet after his escape?
4. According to Kinbote, who gives Gradus a ride?
5. In this section (Lines 597-608), Charles Kinbote spies on a conversation between John Shade and whom?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)