|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one major point Kinbote and Shade disagree on?
2. Why does Kinbote think Russians are gloomy?
(a) Enforced nationalism.
(b) The death of King Charles.
(c) Too much vodka.
(d) The weather.
3. Who tells Kinbote the Shades' vacation destination?
(a) The gardener.
(b) Kinbote's doctor.
(c) John Shade.
(d) John Shade's secretary.
4. Kinbote criticizes the passage in which Shade alternates between the story of his daughter's death, and what he and his wife are doing at the time. What is his major criticism of this passage?
(a) It is too drawn out.
(b) It is unrealistic.
(c) It doesn't rhyme.
(d) It is not sincere enough.
5. What does Charles Kinbote do when he finds out where the Shades' are planning to go on vacation?
(a) He rents a house in the same town.
(b) He asks to go with them.
(c) He tries to convince them to stay in New Wye.
(d) He sits in his house alone and drinks.
6. Who does Kinbote blame for taking John Shade away from religion?
(a) Dr. Sutton.
(b) The IPH.
(c) The Shades' daughter.
(d) Sybil Shade.
7. Kinbote rejects the idea that randomness extends into what?
(a) King Charles' assassination.
(c) Zemblan theology.
(d) The afterlife.
8. Kinbote believes who will be punished by God?
(c) No one.
9. In this section, Kinbote gives an extended, negative critique of what?
(a) John Shade's word choice.
(b) Sybil Shade's translations.
(c) The New Wye faculty.
(d) John Shade's religious views.
10. Which of the following best describes King Charles' marriage?
11. Which of the following best describes Gradus' feelings towards his role in the revolution?
(a) He is reluctant to kill.
(b) He feels trapped.
(c) He enjoys it.
(d) He thinks he is saving the world.
12. According to Kinbote in the commentary, the queen resembles______.
(a) Sybil Shade.
(b) Iris Acht, the famous actress.
(c) A young boy.
(d) Shade's secretary.
13. Kinbote claims some people on campus said he resembles which of the following people?
(a) Dr. Sutton.
(c) King Charles.
(d) John Shade.
14. What word does Shade claim is incorrect in its meaning?
15. Whose spirit supposedly haunts the barn?
(a) Hazel Shade.
(b) The farmer who used to sleep there.
(c) King Alfin the Vague.
(d) King Charles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joseph S. Lavender is a collector of what?
2. According to Kinbote, who gives Gradus a ride?
3. At his hotel Gradus receives orders from headquarters telling him to do what?
4. Charles Kinbote writes a brief play about what event?
5. Kinbote recounts a walk with John Shade. On this walk Kinbote unsuccessfully tries to pry from Shade information about which of the following topics?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)