|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ailment troubles Gradus when he arrives in New Wye?
(d) The flu.
2. According to Kinbote, what is Gradus doing while John Shade is composing Canto Four?
(c) Traveling to America.
(d) Waiting for orders from the Shadows.
3. Shade mentions his wife translating poems into what language?
4. According to Kinbote, where did the Queen go when Zembla was invaded?
(c) Her estate on the Riviera.
5. In what state does Kinbote arrive as Shade begins his last batch of index cards?
(b) New Jersey.
(c) New York.
6. Kinbote claims the Russians are good at what sport?
(c) Ice hockey.
7. Kinbote has an auditory hallucination of John Shade's voice telling him to do what?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Write a poem.
(c) Go to his house.
(d) Go for a walk.
8. Charles Kinbote writes a brief play about what event?
(a) King Charles' escape.
(b) John Shade's birthday.
(c) The Shades' vacation.
(d) Hazel Shade's seance.
9. According to Kinbote, who gives Gradus a ride?
(a) Sybil Shade.
(b) Jim Coates.
(c) Gerald Emerald.
(d) John Shade.
10. What does Charles Kinbote do when he finds out where the Shades' are planning to go on vacation?
(a) He asks to go with them.
(b) He rents a house in the same town.
(c) He sits in his house alone and drinks.
(d) He tries to convince them to stay in New Wye.
11. At his hotel Gradus receives orders from headquarters telling him to do what?
(a) Go to New Wye.
(b) Go to Disa's estate.
(d) Take a taxi to Paris.
12. Kinbote rejects the idea that randomness extends into what?
(a) Zemblan theology.
(b) The afterlife.
(d) King Charles' assassination.
13. Where does Kinbote find the term "Tangra dust?"
(a) In his copy of Timon of Athens.
(b) Written on a napkin.
(c) In an early draft of the poem.
(d) In the dictionary.
14. Gradus visits Oswin Bretwit in order to find information on King Charles' location. What is Oswin Bretwit's profession?
(a) A Zemblan diplomat.
(b) A reporter.
(c) A member of the Shadows.
(d) A spy.
15. According to Kinbote, what does "Ex" stand for?
Short Answer Questions
1. Kinbote recounts a walk with John Shade. On this walk Kinbote unsuccessfully tries to pry from Shade information about which of the following topics?
2. According to Kinbote, King Charles lands near which city?
3. What message did Gradus incorrectly give headquarters?
4. According to Kinbote what is the only real name used in the poem, "Pale Fire?"
5. Kinbote claims some people on campus said he resembles which of the following people?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)