|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kinbote claims some people on campus said he resembles which of the following people?
(a) Dr. Sutton.
(c) John Shade.
(d) King Charles.
2. Who tells Gradus Disa's estate is empty?
(b) A taxi driver.
(c) Charles Kinbote.
(d) A Russian spy.
3. Gradus misinterprets a coded message from headquarters. What does he think his orders are?
(a) To dress in a red coat and hat.
(b) To follow the king to America.
(c) To wait in Geneva for a shipment of salmon.
(d) To wait in Geneva for further instructions.
4. According to Kinbote, what is Gradus doing while John Shade is composing Canto Four?
(c) Waiting for orders from the Shadows.
(d) Traveling to America.
5. According to Kinbote, what does "Ex" stand for?
6. Joseph S. Lavender is a collector of what?
(b) Zemblan art.
7. According to Kinbote, who gives Gradus a ride?
(a) Sybil Shade.
(b) Jim Coates.
(c) John Shade.
(d) Gerald Emerald.
8. Shade refers to a book by which of the following authors in Line 384?
9. Kinbote reflects on the absurdity of what?
(a) Gerald Emerald.
(d) Sybil Shade.
10. Who is Kinbote's primary source of information on John Shade's daughter?
(a) John Shade.
(b) Jane Provost.
(c) Sybil Shade.
(d) Dr. Sutton.
11. Why does Kinbote think Russians are gloomy?
(a) The death of King Charles.
(b) Enforced nationalism.
(c) Too much vodka.
(d) The weather.
12. When Gradus attempts to visit Joseph S. Lavender, Lavender asks Gradus if he is a/an ______?
(a) Art dealer.
13. Why did King Charles' marriage fail?
(a) His wife was captured.
(b) His wife cheated on him.
(c) His wife could not bear children.
(d) He is a homosexual.
14. According to Kinbote in the commentary, the queen resembles______.
(a) A young boy.
(b) Sybil Shade.
(c) Shade's secretary.
(d) Iris Acht, the famous actress.
15. What does the name "Kinbote" mean?
(a) A king's killer.
(b) A great poet.
(c) A lover of men.
(d) A true friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times did Kinbote find Zembla directly mentioned?
2. Which of the following best describes the queen's initial feeling about King Charles when they meet after his escape?
3. Which of the following best describes Gradus' feelings towards his role in the revolution?
4. When a visiting professor requests a picture of King Charles, who goes to get it?
5. Who does Kinbote blame for taking John Shade away from religion?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)