|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kinbote describes Russian soldiers giving what to Zemblan children?
(a) Red hats and coats.
2. In this section, Kinbote gives an extended, negative critique of what?
(a) John Shade's word choice.
(b) John Shade's religious views.
(c) Sybil Shade's translations.
(d) The New Wye faculty.
3. Who does Kinbote blame for taking John Shade away from religion?
(a) The IPH.
(b) The Shades' daughter.
(c) Dr. Sutton.
(d) Sybil Shade.
4. Why does Kinbote think Russians are gloomy?
(a) Enforced nationalism.
(b) Too much vodka.
(c) The weather.
(d) The death of King Charles.
5. Who tells Kinbote the Shades' vacation destination?
(a) John Shade's secretary.
(b) Kinbote's doctor.
(c) John Shade.
(d) The gardener.
6. Who tells Gradus Disa's estate is empty?
(a) A Russian spy.
(c) A taxi driver.
(d) Charles Kinbote.
7. According to Kinbote Russians search for what Zemblan treasure?
(a) A first printing of Timon of Athens.
(b) The crown of King Alfin the Vague.
(c) The journal of King Charles.
(d) The Crown Jewels.
8. Kinbote reflects on the absurdity of what?
(a) Sybil Shade.
(d) Gerald Emerald.
9. Shade refers to a book by which of the following authors in Line 384?
10. Kinbote recounts a walk with John Shade. On this walk Kinbote unsuccessfully tries to pry from Shade information about which of the following topics?
(a) Plants and animals.
(b) Shade's poem.
(c) Shade's daughter.
11. Kinbote believes who will be punished by God?
(c) No one.
12. What does Charles Kinbote do when he finds out where the Shades' are planning to go on vacation?
(a) He rents a house in the same town.
(b) He asks to go with them.
(c) He tries to convince them to stay in New Wye.
(d) He sits in his house alone and drinks.
13. John Shade says, "There's nothing wrong with shedding a dismal past to substitute pleasing _________?"
14. How many times did Kinbote find Zembla directly mentioned?
15. Where does Gradus go to look for the king?
Short Answer Questions
1. Joseph S. Lavender is a collector of what?
2. According to Kinbote, what is the best part of Canto Four?
3. According to Kinbote, what is Gradus doing while John Shade is composing Canto Four?
4. Who is Kinbote's primary source of information on John Shade's daughter?
5. Shade mentions his wife translating poems into what language?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)