|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives fits Kinbote's description of the Russians as they search the castle?
2. What is one major point Kinbote and Shade disagree on?
3. Which of the following best describes King Charles' marriage?
4. According to Kinbote, what does "Ex" stand for?
5. Charles Kinbote writes a brief play about what event?
(a) The Shades' vacation.
(b) John Shade's birthday.
(c) King Charles' escape.
(d) Hazel Shade's seance.
6. What message did Gradus incorrectly give headquarters?
(a) He does not know the king's location.
(b) He has received the salmon.
(c) He is on the way to America.
(d) He knows the king's location.
7. Kinbote recounts a walk with John Shade. On this walk Kinbote unsuccessfully tries to pry from Shade information about which of the following topics?
(a) Shade's poem.
(b) Shade's daughter.
(d) Plants and animals.
8. Shade mentions his wife translating poems into what language?
9. When a visiting professor requests a picture of King Charles, who goes to get it?
(a) John Shade.
(b) Gerald Emerald.
(c) Charles Kinbote.
(d) Dr. Sutton.
10. At his hotel Gradus receives orders from headquarters telling him to do what?
(a) Go to Disa's estate.
(c) Take a taxi to Paris.
(d) Go to New Wye.
11. Where does Kinbote find the term "Tangra dust?"
(a) Written on a napkin.
(b) In an early draft of the poem.
(c) In his copy of Timon of Athens.
(d) In the dictionary.
12. What word does Shade claim is incorrect in its meaning?
13. In this section (Lines 597-608), Charles Kinbote spies on a conversation between John Shade and whom?
(b) Dr. Sutton.
(c) Mrs. Hurley.
(d) Sybil Shade.
14. In this section, Kinbote gives an extended, negative critique of what?
(a) Sybil Shade's translations.
(b) The New Wye faculty.
(c) John Shade's religious views.
(d) John Shade's word choice.
15. What does Charles Kinbote do when he finds out where the Shades' are planning to go on vacation?
(a) He sits in his house alone and drinks.
(b) He tries to convince them to stay in New Wye.
(c) He asks to go with them.
(d) He rents a house in the same town.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kinbote criticizes the passage in which Shade alternates between the story of his daughter's death, and what he and his wife are doing at the time. What is his major criticism of this passage?
2. Kinbote believes who will be punished by God?
3. According to Kinbote, who gives Gradus a ride?
4. Who does John Shade address in line 246 which ends "...my dear"
5. Kinbote rejects the idea that randomness extends into what?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)