|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What message did Gradus incorrectly give headquarters?
(a) He does not know the king's location.
(b) He has received the salmon.
(c) He knows the king's location.
(d) He is on the way to America.
2. What does Gradus bring Oswin Bretwit?
(a) A valuable coin collection.
(b) A map of Zembla.
(c) A newspaper.
(d) Letters between Bretwit's family members.
3. According to Kinbote Russians search for what Zemblan treasure?
(a) The journal of King Charles.
(b) The crown of King Alfin the Vague.
(c) A first printing of Timon of Athens.
(d) The Crown Jewels.
4. Joseph S. Lavender is a collector of what?
(b) Zemblan art.
5. Who tells Kinbote the Shades' vacation destination?
(a) The gardener.
(b) John Shade.
(c) Kinbote's doctor.
(d) John Shade's secretary.
6. In what state does Kinbote arrive as Shade begins his last batch of index cards?
(c) New Jersey.
(d) New York.
7. When a visiting professor requests a picture of King Charles, who goes to get it?
(a) Charles Kinbote.
(b) Gerald Emerald.
(c) John Shade.
(d) Dr. Sutton.
8. Which of the following best describes King Charles' marriage?
9. According to Kinbote, who gives Gradus a ride?
(a) Jim Coates.
(b) John Shade.
(c) Sybil Shade.
(d) Gerald Emerald.
10. What is one major point Kinbote and Shade disagree on?
11. Kinbote has an auditory hallucination of John Shade's voice telling him to do what?
(a) Write a poem.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Go to his house.
(d) Go for a walk.
12. Who does John Shade address in line 246 which ends "...my dear"
(a) His daughter.
(b) His wife.
(c) Charles Kinbote.
(d) His mother.
13. According to Kinbote, King Charles lands near which city?
14. Which of the following does Kinbote discuss in this section?
(a) Dr. Sutton.
15. What Kinbote thought was an amusement park outside is actually what?
(a) A thunderstorm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the queen's initial feeling about King Charles when they meet after his escape?
2. According to Kinbote, what is Gradus doing while John Shade is composing Canto Four?
3. Gradus misinterprets a coded message from headquarters. What does he think his orders are?
4. Shade mentions his wife translating poems into what language?
5. According to Kinbote in the commentary, the queen resembles______.
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)