|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives fits Kinbote's description of the Russians as they search the castle?
2. Who tells Gradus Disa's estate is empty?
(a) A Russian spy.
(c) Charles Kinbote.
(d) A taxi driver.
3. Why does Kinbote think Russians are gloomy?
(a) The weather.
(b) Enforced nationalism.
(c) Too much vodka.
(d) The death of King Charles.
4. Shade refers to a book by which of the following authors in Line 384?
5. King Charles was only able to love the queen______.
(a) While in captivity.
(b) Before they were married.
(c) After the invasion.
(d) In his dreams.
6. How many times did Kinbote find Zembla directly mentioned?
7. Gradus misinterprets a coded message from headquarters. What does he think his orders are?
(a) To dress in a red coat and hat.
(b) To wait in Geneva for a shipment of salmon.
(c) To wait in Geneva for further instructions.
(d) To follow the king to America.
8. Kinbote claims the Russians are good at what sport?
(d) Ice hockey.
9. Who tells Kinbote the Shades' vacation destination?
(a) Kinbote's doctor.
(b) The gardener.
(c) John Shade's secretary.
(d) John Shade.
10. Joseph S. Lavender is a collector of what?
(d) Zemblan art.
11. Who circulated a letter objecting to Charles Kinbote editing "Pale Fire?"
(a) Professor Nattochdag.
(b) Gerald Emerald.
(c) Sybil Shade.
(d) Dr. Sutton.
12. Which of the following best describes the queen's initial feeling about King Charles when they meet after his escape?
(a) Hopeful and respectful.
(b) Angry and frustrated.
(d) Adoringly devoted.
13. Kinbote rejects the idea that randomness extends into what?
(a) Zemblan theology.
(c) King Charles' assassination.
(d) The afterlife.
14. When a visiting professor requests a picture of King Charles, who goes to get it?
(a) Gerald Emerald.
(b) Charles Kinbote.
(c) Dr. Sutton.
(d) John Shade.
15. According to Kinbote, what is Gradus doing while John Shade is composing Canto Four?
(a) Traveling to America.
(c) Waiting for orders from the Shadows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the name "Kinbote" mean?
2. Kinbote believes who will be punished by God?
3. What word does Shade claim is incorrect in its meaning?
4. Kinbote has an auditory hallucination of John Shade's voice telling him to do what?
5. What does Charles Kinbote do when he finds out where the Shades' are planning to go on vacation?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)