|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times did Kinbote find Zembla directly mentioned?
2. Where does Gradus go to look for the king?
3. What ailment troubles Gradus when he arrives in New Wye?
(c) The flu.
4. According to Kinbote, King Charles lands near which city?
5. Who does Kinbote blame for taking John Shade away from religion?
(a) Dr. Sutton.
(b) Sybil Shade.
(c) The Shades' daughter.
(d) The IPH.
6. In this section, Kinbote gives an extended, negative critique of what?
(a) The New Wye faculty.
(b) John Shade's word choice.
(c) John Shade's religious views.
(d) Sybil Shade's translations.
7. Which of the following does Kinbote discuss in this section?
(a) Dr. Sutton.
8. Gradus visits Oswin Bretwit in order to find information on King Charles' location. What is Oswin Bretwit's profession?
(a) A member of the Shadows.
(b) A reporter.
(c) A spy.
(d) A Zemblan diplomat.
9. Who tells Gradus Disa's estate is empty?
(b) A taxi driver.
(c) A Russian spy.
(d) Charles Kinbote.
10. Kinbote rejects the idea that randomness extends into what?
(a) Zemblan theology.
(b) The afterlife.
(d) King Charles' assassination.
11. Where does Kinbote find the term "Tangra dust?"
(a) Written on a napkin.
(b) In an early draft of the poem.
(c) In his copy of Timon of Athens.
(d) In the dictionary.
12. Kinbote recounts a walk with John Shade. On this walk Kinbote unsuccessfully tries to pry from Shade information about which of the following topics?
(a) Shade's daughter.
(b) Plants and animals.
(c) Shade's poem.
13. Kinbote is what religion?
14. According to Kinbote, what is the best part of Canto Four?
(a) The opening.
(b) The rhymes.
(c) The last line.
(d) The part about Zembla.
15. What Kinbote thought was an amusement park outside is actually what?
(c) A thunderstorm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose letter reveals the king's location to Gradus?
2. On what date does John Shade compose lines 797-809?
3. According to Kinbote in the commentary, the queen resembles______.
4. According to Kinbote, what does "Ex" stand for?
5. Which of the following best describes Gradus' feelings towards his role in the revolution?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)