|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Shade claim is incorrect in its meaning?
2. Which of the following adjectives fits Kinbote's description of the Russians as they search the castle?
3. Kinbote describes Russian soldiers giving what to Zemblan children?
(b) Red hats and coats.
4. Kinbote recounts a walk with John Shade. On this walk Kinbote unsuccessfully tries to pry from Shade information about which of the following topics?
(b) Shade's daughter.
(c) Shade's poem.
(d) Plants and animals.
5. Where are the Shades' planning to go on vacation?
6. Whose letter reveals the king's location to Gradus?
(b) Sybil Shade.
(c) Charles Kinbote.
(d) John Shade.
7. According to Kinbote, what does "Ex" stand for?
8. Why does Kinbote think Russians are gloomy?
(a) The death of King Charles.
(b) Too much vodka.
(c) The weather.
(d) Enforced nationalism.
9. What does Gradus bring Oswin Bretwit?
(a) Letters between Bretwit's family members.
(b) A map of Zembla.
(c) A newspaper.
(d) A valuable coin collection.
10. According to Kinbote, what is the best part of Canto Four?
(a) The part about Zembla.
(b) The opening.
(c) The last line.
(d) The rhymes.
11. In this section (Lines 597-608), Charles Kinbote spies on a conversation between John Shade and whom?
(b) Sybil Shade.
(c) Mrs. Hurley.
(d) Dr. Sutton.
12. In this section, Kinbote gives an extended, negative critique of what?
(a) Sybil Shade's translations.
(b) John Shade's religious views.
(c) The New Wye faculty.
(d) John Shade's word choice.
13. Who circulated a letter objecting to Charles Kinbote editing "Pale Fire?"
(a) Sybil Shade.
(b) Dr. Sutton.
(c) Professor Nattochdag.
(d) Gerald Emerald.
14. Who tells Kinbote the Shades' vacation destination?
(a) John Shade's secretary.
(b) The gardener.
(c) John Shade.
(d) Kinbote's doctor.
15. King Charles was only able to love the queen______.
(a) After the invasion.
(b) Before they were married.
(c) In his dreams.
(d) While in captivity.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Kinbote, where did the Queen go when Zembla was invaded?
2. Oswin Bretwit kicks out Gradus when he realizes Gradus is not a Royalist. What does Bretwit assume is Gradus' profession?
3. What message did Gradus incorrectly give headquarters?
4. Kinbote is what religion?
5. How many times did Kinbote find Zembla directly mentioned?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)