|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes King Charles' marriage?
2. Shade refers to a book by which of the following authors in Line 384?
3. Where are the Shades' planning to go on vacation?
4. Kinbote believes who will be punished by God?
(b) No one.
5. What is John Shade doing when Charles Kinbote hallucinates that he hears his voice?
(a) Writing Canto Three.
(d) Making love to his wife.
6. Which of the following does Kinbote discuss in this section?
(c) Dr. Sutton.
7. Where does Gradus go to look for the king?
8. Kinbote reflects on the absurdity of what?
(a) Sybil Shade.
(d) Gerald Emerald.
9. Who does Kinbote blame for taking John Shade away from religion?
(a) Sybil Shade.
(b) The IPH.
(c) The Shades' daughter.
(d) Dr. Sutton.
10. According to Kinbote, what does "Ex" stand for?
11. Kinbote criticizes the passage in which Shade alternates between the story of his daughter's death, and what he and his wife are doing at the time. What is his major criticism of this passage?
(a) It is not sincere enough.
(b) It is too drawn out.
(c) It is unrealistic.
(d) It doesn't rhyme.
12. King Charles was only able to love the queen______.
(a) After the invasion.
(b) In his dreams.
(c) While in captivity.
(d) Before they were married.
13. Kinbote describes Russian soldiers giving what to Zemblan children?
(b) Red hats and coats.
14. According to Kinbote, what is Gradus doing while John Shade is composing Canto Four?
(a) Traveling to America.
(c) Waiting for orders from the Shadows.
15. Kinbote is what religion?
Short Answer Questions
1. John Shade says, "There's nothing wrong with shedding a dismal past to substitute pleasing _________?"
2. Kinbote claims some people on campus said he resembles which of the following people?
3. Who tells Gradus Disa's estate is empty?
4. Who is Kinbote's primary source of information on John Shade's daughter?
5. According to Kinbote, what is the best part of Canto Four?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)