|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What message did Gradus incorrectly give headquarters?
(a) He has received the salmon.
(b) He knows the king's location.
(c) He is on the way to America.
(d) He does not know the king's location.
2. Where does Kinbote find the term "Tangra dust?"
(a) In an early draft of the poem.
(b) In his copy of Timon of Athens.
(c) Written on a napkin.
(d) In the dictionary.
3. Kinbote criticizes the passage in which Shade alternates between the story of his daughter's death, and what he and his wife are doing at the time. What is his major criticism of this passage?
(a) It is not sincere enough.
(b) It doesn't rhyme.
(c) It is too drawn out.
(d) It is unrealistic.
4. Kinbote believes who will be punished by God?
(a) No one.
5. In this section, Kinbote gives an extended, negative critique of what?
(a) Sybil Shade's translations.
(b) John Shade's word choice.
(c) The New Wye faculty.
(d) John Shade's religious views.
6. Which of the following adjectives fits Kinbote's description of the Russians as they search the castle?
7. What word does Shade claim is incorrect in its meaning?
8. According to Kinbote, what does "Ex" stand for?
9. Who does Kinbote blame for taking John Shade away from religion?
(a) The Shades' daughter.
(b) Sybil Shade.
(c) The IPH.
(d) Dr. Sutton.
10. Kinbote claims the Russians are good at what sport?
(c) Ice hockey.
11. What Kinbote thought was an amusement park outside is actually what?
(b) A thunderstorm.
12. What is the name of Joseph S. Lavender's nephew?
13. Shade mentions his wife translating poems into what language?
14. Which of the following best describes King Charles' marriage?
15. What does Gradus bring Oswin Bretwit?
(a) A map of Zembla.
(b) Letters between Bretwit's family members.
(c) A valuable coin collection.
(d) A newspaper.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Kinbote, King Charles lands near which city?
2. Joseph S. Lavender is a collector of what?
3. What does Charles Kinbote do when he finds out where the Shades' are planning to go on vacation?
4. Who tells Kinbote the Shades' vacation destination?
5. Which of the following best describes Gradus' feelings towards his role in the revolution?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)