|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ailment troubles Gradus when he arrives in New Wye?
(c) The flu.
2. According to Kinbote, what is the best part of Canto Four?
(a) The rhymes.
(b) The part about Zembla.
(c) The last line.
(d) The opening.
3. Who tells Kinbote the Shades' vacation destination?
(a) The gardener.
(b) John Shade's secretary.
(c) Kinbote's doctor.
(d) John Shade.
4. Shade refers to a book by which of the following authors in Line 384?
5. Kinbote rejects the idea that randomness extends into what?
(a) The afterlife.
(b) Zemblan theology.
(d) King Charles' assassination.
6. King Charles was only able to love the queen______.
(a) Before they were married.
(b) In his dreams.
(c) While in captivity.
(d) After the invasion.
7. What message did Gradus incorrectly give headquarters?
(a) He has received the salmon.
(b) He does not know the king's location.
(c) He knows the king's location.
(d) He is on the way to America.
8. How many times did Kinbote find Zembla directly mentioned?
9. Kinbote fills in a blank space in "Pale Fire" with what name?
(a) King Charles.
(b) His own.
(d) John Shade.
10. Whose letter reveals the king's location to Gradus?
(b) Charles Kinbote.
(c) John Shade.
(d) Sybil Shade.
11. Which of the following best describes King Charles' marriage?
12. According to Kinbote, what is Gradus doing while John Shade is composing Canto Four?
(a) Waiting for orders from the Shadows.
(b) Traveling to America.
13. At his hotel Gradus receives orders from headquarters telling him to do what?
(a) Go to New Wye.
(b) Take a taxi to Paris.
(c) Go to Disa's estate.
14. Who does John Shade address in line 246 which ends "...my dear"
(a) His daughter.
(b) His wife.
(c) His mother.
(d) Charles Kinbote.
15. Kinbote believes who will be punished by God?
(b) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kinbote reflects on the absurdity of what?
2. According to Kinbote, where did the Queen go when Zembla was invaded?
3. In this section (Lines 597-608), Charles Kinbote spies on a conversation between John Shade and whom?
4. Who is Kinbote's primary source of information on John Shade's daughter?
5. What Kinbote thought was an amusement park outside is actually what?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)