|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Kinbote, who gives Gradus a ride?
(a) Sybil Shade.
(b) John Shade.
(c) Jim Coates.
(d) Gerald Emerald.
2. Kinbote claims some people on campus said he resembles which of the following people?
(b) King Charles.
(c) Dr. Sutton.
(d) John Shade.
3. John Shade says, "There's nothing wrong with shedding a dismal past to substitute pleasing _________?"
4. Kinbote has an auditory hallucination of John Shade's voice telling him to do what?
(a) Go for a walk.
(b) Go to his house.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Write a poem.
5. Who tells Kinbote the Shades' vacation destination?
(a) John Shade's secretary.
(b) John Shade.
(c) The gardener.
(d) Kinbote's doctor.
6. Gradus visits Oswin Bretwit in order to find information on King Charles' location. What is Oswin Bretwit's profession?
(a) A Zemblan diplomat.
(b) A spy.
(c) A reporter.
(d) A member of the Shadows.
7. On what date does John Shade compose lines 797-809?
(a) July 9th.
(b) July 19th.
(c) July 4th.
(d) July 1st.
8. Kinbote criticizes the passage in which Shade alternates between the story of his daughter's death, and what he and his wife are doing at the time. What is his major criticism of this passage?
(a) It is not sincere enough.
(b) It is unrealistic.
(c) It doesn't rhyme.
(d) It is too drawn out.
9. According to Kinbote, what does "Ex" stand for?
10. What is John Shade doing when Charles Kinbote hallucinates that he hears his voice?
(b) Making love to his wife.
(c) Writing Canto Three.
11. Kinbote believes who will be punished by God?
(c) No one.
12. What is the name of Joseph S. Lavender's nephew?
13. What does the name "Kinbote" mean?
(a) A lover of men.
(b) A king's killer.
(c) A great poet.
(d) A true friend.
14. Where does Kinbote find the term "Tangra dust?"
(a) In an early draft of the poem.
(b) In his copy of Timon of Athens.
(c) In the dictionary.
(d) Written on a napkin.
15. Shade refers to a book by which of the following authors in Line 384?
Short Answer Questions
1. Gradus misinterprets a coded message from headquarters. What does he think his orders are?
2. Kinbote rejects the idea that randomness extends into what?
3. What word does Shade claim is incorrect in its meaning?
4. According to Kinbote, King Charles lands near which city?
5. Kinbote fills in a blank space in "Pale Fire" with what name?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)