Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Shade's spend the evening of their daughter's blind date?
(b) Watching television.
(c) Studying birds.
(d) Writing poems.
2. After King Charles is out of the mountains, he receives a message to go to which of the following locations?
(a) The Bera Range.
(b) New Wye.
(d) The Rippleton Caves.
3. Which of the following best describes a recurring theme in the first Canto?
4. How does King Charles flee Zembla?
(a) By plane.
(b) On foot.
(c) By car.
(d) By boat.
5. What is the name of the secret group that sends an assassin after King Charles?
(a) The Extreme.
(b) The Shadows.
(c) The Marxists.
(d) The Freudians.
6. Charles Kinbote criticizes an article written by Professor Hurley for what reason?
(a) The article is critical of John Shade.
(b) The article does not mention "Pale Fire."
(c) It does not mention Zembla.
(d) The article doesn't mention Kinbote and Shade's friendship.
7. Which of the following best describes the pervading theme of Canto Four?
(a) John Shade's relationship with Charles Kinbote.
(b) John Shade's relationship with his family.
(c) John Shade's time in Zembla.
(d) John Shade's writing process.
8. What are the two most important things in Shade's life?
(a) His job as a professor and his wife.
(b) His Zemblan heritage and his wife.
(c) His wife and Charles Kinbote.
(d) His poetry and his wife.
9. In the commentary to Line 137, what phrase, used by John Shade in "Pale Fire", does Kinbote claim has no real meaning?
(c) Waxing slain.
10. Charles Kinbote "mercifully " attributes this name to one professor, perhaps due to his green jacket.
(a) Jim Coates.
(b) Gerald Emerald.
(c) Green Velvet.
(d) Dr. Nattochdag.
11. Who helps King Charles escape?
(b) Charles Kinbote.
(d) John Shade.
12. Who raises John Shade during his childhood?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) Dr. Sutton.
13. Who gives Kinbote information about John Shade's daughter?
(a) Shade's former secretary.
(b) John Shade.
(c) Sybil Shade.
(d) An old newspaper article.
14. How do the people of Zembla aid in King Charles' flight?
(a) They provide Charles refuge along the way.
(b) They dress like him to serve as decoys.
(c) They create a distraction with a hot air balloon.
(d) They fight off the Extremists.
15. King Alfin the Vague was an amateur______ .
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not mentioned by Shade in Canto One?
2. How does John Shade's daughter die?
3. How do the extremists try to prevent King Charles from leaving the country?
4. How did King Alfin the Vague die?
5. What are the two ways to write according to Shade in Canto Three?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)