|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the extremists learn the King has escaped?
(a) They find out Odon is making a film in France.
(b) He is killed in New Wye.
(c) He leaves a letter.
(d) He gives a radio broadcast.
2. What is the assassin's real name?
(a) Jacques de Gray.
(b) Jack Degree.
(c) Jake Ravus.
(d) Jakob Gradus.
3. Which of the following best describes John Shade's daughter?
(a) Attractive, but tormented.
(b) Introverted, but fascinating.
(c) Unattractive and intellegent.
(d) Humble and worried.
4. How do the extremists try to prevent King Charles from leaving the country?
(a) They search all trains.
(b) They outlaw driving.
(c) They search all caves.
(d) They close all the airports.
5. Who sets up John Shade's daughter on a blind date?
(b) His aunt.
(c) Dr. Sutton.
(d) His secretary.
6. Of the following, what do King Charles and John Shade have in common?
(a) They are both Zemblan royalty.
(b) Both lost their father at an early age.
(c) Both were loved by their followers.
(d) Both had daughters who died at an early age.
7. The first draft of "Pale Fire" was composed on a series of index cards. How many index cards did the author use?
8. What book does King Charles find on his way out of the castle?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Romeo and Juliet.
(c) A book of John Shade's poetry.
(d) Timon of Athens.
9. How does John Shade's daughter die?
(a) She steps in front of a train.
(b) She poisons herself.
(c) She drowns.
(d) She freezes to death in a field.
10. "Forty ounces of fine sand" describes what in Canto One?
(a) Snow falling from the sky.
(b) A length of time.
(c) The texture of a windowpane.
(d) A bird's nest.
11. How old was Shade when he wrote Canto Two?
(a) We are never told exactly, only that he is "a youth".
12. Who does Kinbote blame for not receiving an invitation to John Shade's birthday party?
(a) Sybil Shade.
(b) Dr. Sutton.
(c) John Shade.
13. According to Kinbote, where did Sybil Shade relocate to upon John Shade's death?
14. During the forward Charles Kinbote oddly notes that he is distracted by who/what?
(a) A squirrel.
(c) Sybill Shade.
(d) An amusement park.
15. What was John Shade's "first book" as mentioned in Canto Four?
(b) Hebe's Cup.
(c) Nite Rote.
(d) Dim Gulf.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the following, which most accurately describes the lines in the first stanza of Canto One?
2. Who does King Charles finally marry?
3. John Shade comes to the realization that he can not find what at the I.P.H.?
4. What did Charles Kinbote do with the cat?
5. How does John Shade understand his life?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)