|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to John Shade's aunt?
(a) She drowns in a lake.
(b) She falls down the stairs and breaks her hip.
(c) She has a stroke and is moved to a sanitarium.
(d) She has a heart attack and dies.
2. How does King Charles get out of the room where he is being held prisoner without being detected?
(a) He escapes through a secret passageway.
(b) He seduces a guard who sets him free.
(c) He disguses himself as a guard and walks out the front door.
(d) He makes a rope ladder and climbs out the window.
3. Who does King Charles finally marry?
(b) The Countess.
(c) Disa, Duchess of Payn.
4. Why does young King Charles refuse to consummate his relationship with Fleur?
(a) He is homosexual.
(b) Her family is poor.
(c) She is ugly.
(d) She tries to steal from him.
5. Which of the following has Shade renounced?
(a) His religion.
(b) His country.
(c) His family.
(d) His friends.
6. What typically goes on at the I.P.H.?
(a) People gather to discuss the after-life.
(b) People gather to discuss Zemblan history.
(c) People gather to discuss different species of birds.
(d) Poets gather to read their work.
7. Charles Kinbote wants the reader to see the image of who/what after reading the lines 131-132, "I was the waxing slain by feigned remoteness in the windowpane?"
(b) John Shade's blackouts.
(d) Sybil Shade.
8. Of the following, what do John Shade and the assassin have in common?
(a) They were both Zemblan kings.
(b) They both were orphaned.
(c) They both had aunts who were put in an asylum.
(d) They were both born in Russia.
9. Which of the following is not among John Shade's pet peeves?
(a) Super market music.
(d) Abstract art.
10. During what time of the year does John Shade prefer to write?
(b) Upon the conclusion of the Zemblan harvest.
11. Charles Kinbote thinks John Shade enjoyed more "creative freedom" during the composition of which Canto?
(a) Canto Two.
(b) Canto Three.
(c) Canto Four.
(d) Canto One.
12. John Shade's daughter is how old at the beginning of Canto Three?
(a) We don't know exactly, only that she's a small child.
(b) 6 months.
(d) A senior in high school.
13. Of the following, what do King Charles and John Shade have in common?
(a) Both had daughters who died at an early age.
(b) Both lost their father at an early age.
(c) Both were loved by their followers.
(d) They are both Zemblan royalty.
14. During what time of day does John Shade prefer to write?
(b) Late afternoon.
(c) After dinner.
(d) Bath time.
15. Who is King Alfin the Vague's son?
(a) John Shade.
(b) King Charles.
(c) Charles Kinbote.
(d) Dr. Sutton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does not happen to the I.P.H.?
2. Which of the following best describes King Alfin the Vague?
3. Who is King Charles' grandfather?
4. When did John Shade begin Canto Two?
5. What are the two most important things in Shade's life?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)