|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Queen Blenda's favorite hobby is ______ .
(d) Bird watching.
2. Which best describes Kinbote's reason for rejecting the offer by the first potential publisher of "Pale Fire"?
(a) He would not let Kinbote translate the poem into Zemblan.
(b) Kinbote would not have full editorial control.
(c) Sybil Shade would not recieve her full share of the profits.
(d) He made Kinbote responsible for any errors in the commentary.
3. What event causes John Shade to have a vision of the afterlife?
(a) He suffers a stroke.
(b) He has a heart attack.
(c) He is hit by a car.
(d) He gets lost in the Zemblan Mountains without food or water.
4. How does John Shade understand his life?
(a) Through his poetry.
(b) Through religion.
(c) Through his wife's love.
(d) Through the love of his daughter.
5. What is the first metaphor Shade uses to describe himself?
(a) A pheasant's feet.
(b) A bird flying into a window.
(c) A great bear.
(d) A snowflake falling to the ground.
6. The first draft of "Pale Fire" was composed on a series of index cards. How many index cards did the author use?
7. What does Kinbote want us to believe was the catalyst for John Shade's choice to set "Pale Fire" during the winter months?
(a) The great tragedy Shade has experienced during winter.
(b) Bird flying south for the winter.
(c) Shade meeting Kinbote during the previous winter.
(d) The Zemblan King's assasination in January.
8. When did John Shade meet his wife?
(a) After his parents' funeral.
(b) Their senior year of high school.
(c) During the depression.
(d) 40 years ago.
9. Which of the following best describes John Shade's idea of life on earth?
(a) Meaningless and random.
(b) Colorful and bright.
(c) Sad and cold.
(d) Dark and painful.
10. Who gives Kinbote information about John Shade's daughter?
(a) Sybil Shade.
(b) An old newspaper article.
(c) John Shade.
(d) Shade's former secretary.
11. What is the assassin's real name?
(a) Jack Degree.
(b) Jacques de Gray.
(c) Jake Ravus.
(d) Jakob Gradus.
12. John Shade vows to further explore what in Canto Two?
(a) The possibility of an afterlife.
(b) The depths of human consciousness.
(c) The Zemblan Kings and their Gods.
(d) Reincarnation vs. heaven and hell.
13. The final couplet of "Pale Fire" describes what image?
(a) A bird flying into a closed window.
(b) The Zemblan countryside.
(c) John Shade's daughter.
(d) A gardener pushing a wheel barrow.
14. John Shade recites his poetry to one person prior to its publication. Who is that person?
(a) His wife.
(b) Charles Kinbote.
(c) Dr. Sutton.
(d) The king of Zembla.
15. Where do the Shade's travel to take their minds off their daughter's death?
(c) New Wye.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two ways to write according to Shade in Canto Three?
2. How do the people of Zembla aid in King Charles' flight?
3. How many lines are in Canto Four?
4. On what day did John Shade begin composing his poem "Pale Fire?"
5. Who is King Charles' grandfather?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)