|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the people of Zembla aid in King Charles' flight?
(a) They provide Charles refuge along the way.
(b) They create a distraction with a hot air balloon.
(c) They dress like him to serve as decoys.
(d) They fight off the Extremists.
2. What does Kinbote do during John Shade's birthday party?
(a) He spies on the party.
(b) He writes and listens to music.
(c) He drinks alone.
(d) He plays chess.
3. Kinbote is steadfast in his assertion that "Pale Fire" was intended to be how many lines long?
4. Who is King Alfin the Vague's son?
(a) Dr. Sutton.
(b) John Shade.
(c) Charles Kinbote.
(d) King Charles.
5. Which of the following is not among John Shade's pet peeves?
(b) Super market music.
(c) Abstract art.
6. How do the extremists think King Charles will try to escape Zembla?
(a) By boat.
(b) By plane.
(c) By car.
(d) On foot.
7. Once King Charles is outside his room he must escape from what part of the castle?
(a) The basement.
(b) The tower.
(c) The theater.
(d) The kitchen.
8. How did King Alfin the Vague die?
(a) He had a stroke.
(b) In a plane crash.
(c) He was assassinated.
(d) He committed suicide.
9. According to Kinbote, who was Thurgus the Third's lover?
(c) Iris Acht.
(d) Maude Shade.
10. Who helps King Charles escape?
(c) John Shade.
(d) Charles Kinbote.
11. Why does young King Charles refuse to consummate his relationship with Fleur?
(a) She is ugly.
(b) Her family is poor.
(c) He is homosexual.
(d) She tries to steal from him.
12. "Forty ounces of fine sand" describes what in Canto One?
(a) Snow falling from the sky.
(b) A bird's nest.
(c) The texture of a windowpane.
(d) A length of time.
13. How does John Shade refer to the I.P.H.?
(b) The International Poetry House.
(c) The Institute.
(d) The "H".
14. During what time of day does John Shade prefer to write?
(a) After dinner.
(b) Late afternoon.
(c) Bath time.
15. King Alfin the Vague was an amateur______ .
Short Answer Questions
1. What event causes John Shade to have a vision of the afterlife?
2. What does Kinbote want us to believe was the catalyst for John Shade's choice to set "Pale Fire" during the winter months?
3. Who does Kinbote blame for not receiving an invitation to John Shade's birthday party?
4. What was John Shade's "first book" as mentioned in Canto Four?
5. Where did Kinbote and Shade meet?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)