|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the previous inhabitant of Charles Kinbote's house?
(a) Dr. Sutton.
(b) Wordsmith University's gardener.
(c) The King of Zembla.
(d) Judge Goldsmith.
2. Of the following, which most accurately describes the lines in the first stanza of Canto One?
(a) They are symetrical.
(b) They lack punctuation
(c) They are written in ryhming couplets.
(d) They have the same number of words
3. In the commentary to Line 181, Shade produces a book by what author and shows it to Sybil Shade?
(a) William Shakespeare.
(b) John Shade.
(d) Vladimir Nabokov.
4. Where do the Shade's travel to take their minds off their daughter's death?
(d) New Wye.
5. Which of the following most closely describes Kinbote's depiction by university drama students?
(a) A displaced Zemblan king on the run from assassins.
(b) A pompus woman-hater with a German accent.
(c) A brilliant writer and professor who is loyal to his friend John Shade.
(d) A raving lunatic with no perception of reality.
6. On what day did John Shade begin composing his poem "Pale Fire?"
(a) We are not told explicitly, only that it is during the summer.
(b) July 1st.
(c) July 4th.
(d) July 5th.
7. The first draft of "Pale Fire" was composed on a series of index cards. How many index cards did the author use?
8. A fellow-professor calls Charles Kinbote by what nickname?
(a) Gerald Emerald.
(b) The King of Zembla.
(c) The Great Beaver.
(d) Prof. C.
9. What does Shade find out when he tracks down the woman who had the same vision of the after-life that he did?
(a) She is a Zemblan queen.
(b) She is married to Charles Kinbote.
(c) She also had a daughter who passed away recently.
(d) She had a different vision.
10. What book does King Charles find on his way out of the castle?
(a) A book of John Shade's poetry.
(b) The Bible.
(c) Timon of Athens.
(d) Romeo and Juliet.
11. The final couplet of "Pale Fire" describes what image?
(a) The Zemblan countryside.
(b) A bird flying into a closed window.
(c) A gardener pushing a wheel barrow.
(d) John Shade's daughter.
12. Which of the following is not among John Shade's pet peeves?
(c) Super market music.
(d) Abstract art.
13. "Pale Fire" is broken up into how many cantos?
14. Once King Charles is outside his room he must escape from what part of the castle?
(a) The tower.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The theater.
(d) The basement.
15. How did King Alfin the Vague die?
(a) He was assassinated.
(b) He had a stroke.
(c) He committed suicide.
(d) In a plane crash.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does King Charles flee Zembla?
2. John Shade's daughter is how old at the beginning of Canto Three?
3. Who makes sexual advances on King Charles during the commentary to line 149?
4. How old was Shade when he wrote Canto Two?
5. What are the two most important things in Shade's life?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)