|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the following, which most accurately describes the lines in the first stanza of Canto One?
(a) They are written in ryhming couplets.
(b) They are symetrical.
(c) They have the same number of words
(d) They lack punctuation
2. Of the following, who is not mentioned in the first Canto?
(a) The King of Zembla.
(b) Shade's aunt.
(c) Dr. Sutton.
(d) A Candian maid.
3. How does John Shade refer to the I.P.H.?
(a) The International Poetry House.
(c) The "H".
(d) The Institute.
4. What does Shade find out when he tracks down the woman who had the same vision of the after-life that he did?
(a) She is married to Charles Kinbote.
(b) She is a Zemblan queen.
(c) She also had a daughter who passed away recently.
(d) She had a different vision.
5. According to Kinbote, where did Sybil Shade relocate to upon John Shade's death?
6. Who helps King Charles escape?
(c) Charles Kinbote.
(d) John Shade.
7. Charles Kinbote criticizes an article written by Professor Hurley for what reason?
(a) The article doesn't mention Kinbote and Shade's friendship.
(b) The article does not mention "Pale Fire."
(c) The article is critical of John Shade.
(d) It does not mention Zembla.
8. John Shade's daughter is how old at the beginning of Canto Three?
(a) 6 months.
(b) We don't know exactly, only that she's a small child.
(d) A senior in high school.
9. During what time of day does John Shade prefer to write?
(b) Late afternoon.
(c) Bath time.
(d) After dinner.
10. Once King Charles is outside his room he must escape from what part of the castle?
(a) The basement.
(b) The tower.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The theater.
11. John Shade's aunt is best described as what?
12. Charles Kinbote assumes John Shade wanted to write a great deal more about Zembla, but did not. Who or what does Kinbote attribute this too?
(b) The Shadeans.
(c) Poor translation from Zemblan to English.
(d) John Shade's wife.
13. What did Charles Kinbote do with the cat?
(a) He gave it to John Shade as a birthday gift.
(b) He accidentally poisoned it.
(c) He wrote a poem about it.
(d) He gave it to the maid.
14. "Forty ounces of fine sand" describes what in Canto One?
(a) The texture of a windowpane.
(b) A bird's nest.
(c) Snow falling from the sky.
(d) A length of time.
15. While he makes his way through the mountains, King Charles stops to spend the night in which of the following places?
(a) On a farm.
(b) In a cave.
(c) In the woods.
(d) In an abandoned car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kinbote give John Shade for his birthday?
2. How does King Charles flee Zembla?
3. Which best describes Kinbote's reason for rejecting the offer by the first potential publisher of "Pale Fire"?
4. Who makes sexual advances on King Charles during the commentary to line 149?
5. When did John Shade meet his wife?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)