|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not among John Shade's pet peeves?
(a) Super market music.
(d) Abstract art.
2. How does John Shade's daughter die?
(a) She steps in front of a train.
(b) She freezes to death in a field.
(c) She drowns.
(d) She poisons herself.
3. How do the Shade's spend the evening of their daughter's blind date?
(a) Watching television.
(b) Writing poems.
(d) Studying birds.
4. Why does young King Charles refuse to consummate his relationship with Fleur?
(a) She tries to steal from him.
(b) Her family is poor.
(c) She is ugly.
(d) He is homosexual.
5. What did Charles Kinbote do with the cat?
(a) He wrote a poem about it.
(b) He gave it to the maid.
(c) He gave it to John Shade as a birthday gift.
(d) He accidentally poisoned it.
6. Which of the following best describes John Shade's idea of life on earth?
(a) Meaningless and random.
(b) Dark and painful.
(c) Colorful and bright.
(d) Sad and cold.
7. Charles Kinbote gave John Shade a detailed drawing of King Charles' castle; what does he want John Shade's wife to do with the picture?
(a) Frame it.
(b) Destroy it.
(c) Send it to him.
(d) Send it to the publisher.
8. What is the name of the secret group that sends an assassin after King Charles?
(a) The Extreme.
(b) The Freudians.
(c) The Shadows.
(d) The Marxists.
9. What typically goes on at the I.P.H.?
(a) People gather to discuss Zemblan history.
(b) People gather to discuss the after-life.
(c) Poets gather to read their work.
(d) People gather to discuss different species of birds.
10. What does Shade find out when he tracks down the woman who had the same vision of the after-life that he did?
(a) She had a different vision.
(b) She is married to Charles Kinbote.
(c) She is a Zemblan queen.
(d) She also had a daughter who passed away recently.
11. The phrase "pale fire" is used in the foreword to describe what?
(a) The snow in New Wye.
(b) The reflection of sunlight off the moon.
(c) A squirrel.
(d) Index cards burning in an incinerator.
12. John Shade's aunt is best described as what?
13. John Shade comes to the realization that he can not find what at the I.P.H.?
(a) Truth about Shakespeare's sonnets.
(b) Truth about the after-life.
(c) Truth about bird watching.
(d) Truth about the sordid history of Zembla.
14. Who is the previous inhabitant of Charles Kinbote's house?
(a) The King of Zembla.
(b) Dr. Sutton.
(c) Wordsmith University's gardener.
(d) Judge Goldsmith.
15. What are the two most important things in Shade's life?
(a) His wife and Charles Kinbote.
(b) His Zemblan heritage and his wife.
(c) His poetry and his wife.
(d) His job as a professor and his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does King Charles find on his way out of the castle?
2. When did John Shade begin Canto Two?
3. John Shade's daughter is how old at the beginning of Canto Three?
4. Charles Kinbote assumes John Shade wanted to write a great deal more about Zembla, but did not. Who or what does Kinbote attribute this too?
5. In the commentary to Line 181, Shade produces a book by what author and shows it to Sybil Shade?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)