|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who makes sexual advances on King Charles during the commentary to line 149?
2. In Canto Two we find that Shade's daughter had been vacationing in what faraway place?
(a) New Wye.
3. "Pale Fire" is broken up into how many cantos?
4. Which of the following most closely describes Kinbote's depiction by university drama students?
(a) A displaced Zemblan king on the run from assassins.
(b) A pompus woman-hater with a German accent.
(c) A brilliant writer and professor who is loyal to his friend John Shade.
(d) A raving lunatic with no perception of reality.
5. Where do the Shade's travel to take their minds off their daughter's death?
(d) New Wye.
6. Who does Kinbote blame for not receiving an invitation to John Shade's birthday party?
(b) Sybil Shade.
(c) Dr. Sutton.
(d) John Shade.
7. Who does King Charles finally marry?
(a) Disa, Duchess of Payn.
(c) The Countess.
8. What is the name of the secret group that sends an assassin after King Charles?
(a) The Freudians.
(b) The Marxists.
(c) The Extreme.
(d) The Shadows.
9. Charles Kinbote criticizes an article written by Professor Hurley for what reason?
(a) It does not mention Zembla.
(b) The article is critical of John Shade.
(c) The article doesn't mention Kinbote and Shade's friendship.
(d) The article does not mention "Pale Fire."
10. Charles Kinbote gave John Shade a detailed drawing of King Charles' castle; what does he want John Shade's wife to do with the picture?
(a) Send it to the publisher.
(b) Send it to him.
(c) Frame it.
(d) Destroy it.
11. What was John Shade's "first book" as mentioned in Canto Four?
(a) Dim Gulf.
(c) Nite Rote.
(d) Hebe's Cup.
12. What happens to John Shade's aunt?
(a) She has a stroke and is moved to a sanitarium.
(b) She drowns in a lake.
(c) She falls down the stairs and breaks her hip.
(d) She has a heart attack and dies.
13. Where did Kinbote and Shade meet?
(b) The English Department faculty lounge.
(c) The faculty club at lunch time.
(d) The library .
14. According to Kinbote, where did Sybil Shade relocate to upon John Shade's death?
15. What does Kinbote want us to believe was the catalyst for John Shade's choice to set "Pale Fire" during the winter months?
(a) Bird flying south for the winter.
(b) The Zemblan King's assasination in January.
(c) Shade meeting Kinbote during the previous winter.
(d) The great tragedy Shade has experienced during winter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal did Shade's parents study?
2. What happened to Shade's parents when he was a boy?
3. After King Charles is out of the mountains, he receives a message to go to which of the following locations?
4. How do the people of Zembla aid in King Charles' flight?
5. Which of the following is not mentioned by Shade in Canto One?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)