|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the forward Charles Kinbote oddly notes that he is distracted by who/what?
(a) A squirrel.
(c) An amusement park.
(d) Sybill Shade.
2. What is the first metaphor Shade uses to describe himself?
(a) A bird flying into a window.
(b) A great bear.
(c) A snowflake falling to the ground.
(d) A pheasant's feet.
3. A fellow-professor calls Charles Kinbote by what nickname?
(a) Prof. C.
(b) Gerald Emerald.
(c) The Great Beaver.
(d) The King of Zembla.
4. In lines 936 and 937 of "Pale Fire" the phrase "I plow Old Zembla's fields" is used by John Shade as part of a metaphor for what literal activity?
(a) The changing seasons.
(b) Revisiting his Zemblan ancestry .
(c) His relationship with his wife.
5. In the commentary to Line 181, Shade produces a book by what author and shows it to Sybil Shade?
(b) John Shade.
(c) Vladimir Nabokov.
(d) William Shakespeare.
6. How does King Charles flee Zembla?
(a) By boat.
(b) By car.
(c) By plane.
(d) On foot.
7. Which Pope is mentioned in the commentary to Line 85?
(a) Stephen II.
(b) Alexander I.
(c) Pius X.
(d) Benedict IX.
8. How do the Shade's spend the evening of their daughter's blind date?
(b) Writing poems.
(c) Studying birds.
(d) Watching television.
9. How does John Shade refer to the I.P.H.?
(b) The Institute.
(c) The "H".
(d) The International Poetry House.
10. Of the following, what do King Charles and John Shade have in common?
(a) Both had daughters who died at an early age.
(b) Both were loved by their followers.
(c) They are both Zemblan royalty.
(d) Both lost their father at an early age.
11. Who makes sexual advances on King Charles during the commentary to line 149?
12. What does Shade find out when he tracks down the woman who had the same vision of the after-life that he did?
(a) She also had a daughter who passed away recently.
(b) She is a Zemblan queen.
(c) She is married to Charles Kinbote.
(d) She had a different vision.
13. What event causes John Shade to have a vision of the afterlife?
(a) He gets lost in the Zemblan Mountains without food or water.
(b) He suffers a stroke.
(c) He is hit by a car.
(d) He has a heart attack.
14. Who is King Charles' grandfather?
(b) Thurgus the Third.
(c) King Alfin the Vague.
(d) Charles Kinbote.
15. Queen Blenda's favorite hobby is ______ .
(d) Bird watching.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes John Shade's idea of life on earth?
2. What is the name of the secret group that sends an assassin after King Charles?
3. Charles Kinbote wants the reader to see the image of who/what after reading the lines 131-132, "I was the waxing slain by feigned remoteness in the windowpane?"
4. Who does King Charles finally marry?
5. "Pale Fire" is broken up into how many cantos?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)