|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was John Shade's "first book" as mentioned in Canto Four?
(b) Nite Rote.
(c) Hebe's Cup.
(d) Dim Gulf.
2. Which of the following does not happen to the I.P.H.?
(a) It becomes more Buddhist.
(b) It is turned into a church.
(c) It becomes a place where fake seances are held.
(d) It becomes frequented by Freudians.
3. What is the name of John Shade's aunt?
(c) She is never mentioned by name.
4. Kinbote notes that the poem alludes to what fictional character?
(a) Shakespeare's Henry VIII.
(b) Sherlock Holmes.
(d) King Charles.
5. Of the following, which most accurately describes the lines in the first stanza of Canto One?
(a) They are written in ryhming couplets.
(b) They lack punctuation
(c) They are symetrical.
(d) They have the same number of words
6. Which of the following best describes a recurring theme in the first Canto?
7. Where do the Shade's travel to take their minds off their daughter's death?
(a) New Wye.
8. How does John Shade's daughter die?
(a) She drowns.
(b) She steps in front of a train.
(c) She freezes to death in a field.
(d) She poisons herself.
9. The first draft of "Pale Fire" was composed on a series of index cards. How many index cards did the author use?
10. Which of the following best describes the pervading theme of Canto Four?
(a) John Shade's relationship with his family.
(b) John Shade's writing process.
(c) John Shade's relationship with Charles Kinbote.
(d) John Shade's time in Zembla.
11. Which best describes Kinbote's reason for rejecting the offer by the first potential publisher of "Pale Fire"?
(a) Kinbote would not have full editorial control.
(b) He made Kinbote responsible for any errors in the commentary.
(c) Sybil Shade would not recieve her full share of the profits.
(d) He would not let Kinbote translate the poem into Zemblan.
12. After King Charles is out of the mountains, he receives a message to go to which of the following locations?
(a) The Bera Range.
(b) New Wye.
(d) The Rippleton Caves.
13. Which of the following best describes John Shade's daughter?
(a) Introverted, but fascinating.
(b) Unattractive and intellegent.
(c) Attractive, but tormented.
(d) Humble and worried.
14. John Shade's daughter is how old at the beginning of Canto Three?
(a) We don't know exactly, only that she's a small child.
(b) 6 months.
(c) A senior in high school.
15. Which of the following is not among John Shade's pet peeves?
(b) Abstract art.
(d) Super market music.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which pair best describe the prominent motifs of the first Canto?
2. When did John Shade meet his wife?
3. Charles Kinbote thinks John Shade enjoyed more "creative freedom" during the composition of which Canto?
4. During what time of day does John Shade prefer to write?
5. In lines 936 and 937 of "Pale Fire" the phrase "I plow Old Zembla's fields" is used by John Shade as part of a metaphor for what literal activity?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)