|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charles Kinbote criticizes an article written by Professor Hurley for what reason?
(a) The article does not mention "Pale Fire."
(b) It does not mention Zembla.
(c) The article doesn't mention Kinbote and Shade's friendship.
(d) The article is critical of John Shade.
2. What did Charles Kinbote do with the cat?
(a) He gave it to the maid.
(b) He wrote a poem about it.
(c) He gave it to John Shade as a birthday gift.
(d) He accidentally poisoned it.
3. Charles Kinbote assumes John Shade wanted to write a great deal more about Zembla, but did not. Who or what does Kinbote attribute this too?
(a) John Shade's wife.
(b) The Shadeans.
(d) Poor translation from Zemblan to English.
4. Who is the previous inhabitant of Charles Kinbote's house?
(a) Judge Goldsmith.
(b) The King of Zembla.
(c) Wordsmith University's gardener.
(d) Dr. Sutton.
5. In lines 936 and 937 of "Pale Fire" the phrase "I plow Old Zembla's fields" is used by John Shade as part of a metaphor for what literal activity?
(a) Revisiting his Zemblan ancestry .
(b) His relationship with his wife.
(d) The changing seasons.
6. Why does young King Charles refuse to consummate his relationship with Fleur?
(a) He is homosexual.
(b) Her family is poor.
(c) She is ugly.
(d) She tries to steal from him.
7. A fellow-professor calls Charles Kinbote by what nickname?
(a) Gerald Emerald.
(b) The King of Zembla.
(c) Prof. C.
(d) The Great Beaver.
8. Of the following, what do John Shade and the assassin have in common?
(a) They were both born in Russia.
(b) They were both Zemblan kings.
(c) They both were orphaned.
(d) They both had aunts who were put in an asylum.
9. What is the name of the secret group that sends an assassin after King Charles?
(a) The Marxists.
(b) The Extreme.
(c) The Shadows.
(d) The Freudians.
10. Which of the following best describes John Shade's idea of life on earth?
(a) Colorful and bright.
(b) Dark and painful.
(c) Meaningless and random.
(d) Sad and cold.
11. On what day did John Shade begin composing his poem "Pale Fire?"
(a) We are not told explicitly, only that it is during the summer.
(b) July 4th.
(c) July 5th.
(d) July 1st.
12. John Shade's aunt is best described as what?
13. How do the extremists learn the King has escaped?
(a) He leaves a letter.
(b) He is killed in New Wye.
(c) He gives a radio broadcast.
(d) They find out Odon is making a film in France.
14. "Forty ounces of fine sand" describes what in Canto One?
(a) Snow falling from the sky.
(b) A length of time.
(c) A bird's nest.
(d) The texture of a windowpane.
15. Who is King Charles' grandfather?
(a) Charles Kinbote.
(b) Thurgus the Third.
(d) King Alfin the Vague.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes King Alfin the Vague?
2. When did John Shade meet his wife?
3. How many lines are in Canto Four?
4. Kinbote leaves his blinds open to give him a better view of what?
5. John Shade recites his poetry to one person prior to its publication. Who is that person?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)