|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In lines 936 and 937 of "Pale Fire" the phrase "I plow Old Zembla's fields" is used by John Shade as part of a metaphor for what literal activity?
(a) The changing seasons.
(b) His relationship with his wife.
(c) Revisiting his Zemblan ancestry .
2. Which of the following is not among John Shade's pet peeves?
(b) Abstract art.
(d) Super market music.
3. Kinbote leaves his blinds open to give him a better view of what?
(a) The Shade's living room.
(b) The library.
(c) Garden Avenue.
(d) The gardener.
4. According to Kinbote, where did Sybil Shade relocate to upon John Shade's death?
5. Who gives Kinbote information about John Shade's daughter?
(a) John Shade.
(b) Shade's former secretary.
(c) An old newspaper article.
(d) Sybil Shade.
6. Which pair best describe the prominent motifs of the first Canto?
(a) Windows and snow.
(b) Nature and technology.
(c) Innocence and loss.
(d) Nature and death.
7. The first draft of "Pale Fire" was composed on a series of index cards. How many index cards did the author use?
8. Which best describes Kinbote's reason for rejecting the offer by the first potential publisher of "Pale Fire"?
(a) Kinbote would not have full editorial control.
(b) Sybil Shade would not recieve her full share of the profits.
(c) He would not let Kinbote translate the poem into Zemblan.
(d) He made Kinbote responsible for any errors in the commentary.
9. Charles Kinbote assumes John Shade wanted to write a great deal more about Zembla, but did not. Who or what does Kinbote attribute this too?
(a) The Shadeans.
(b) Poor translation from Zemblan to English.
(c) John Shade's wife.
10. Which of the following is not mentioned by Shade in Canto One?
(a) The sky.
(b) Dr. Sutton.
(c) The Zemblan countryside.
(d) A baseball game.
11. John Shade recites his poetry to one person prior to its publication. Who is that person?
(a) His wife.
(b) Dr. Sutton.
(c) Charles Kinbote.
(d) The king of Zembla.
12. When did John Shade meet his wife?
(a) 40 years ago.
(b) After his parents' funeral.
(c) Their senior year of high school.
(d) During the depression.
13. Where did Kinbote and Shade meet?
(a) The English Department faculty lounge.
(c) The faculty club at lunch time.
(d) The library .
14. What does Kinbote give John Shade for his birthday?
(a) A gown.
(b) A drawing of King Charles' castle.
(c) A book of poetry.
(d) A chess board.
15. Which of the following does not happen to the I.P.H.?
(a) It is turned into a church.
(b) It becomes more Buddhist.
(c) It becomes a place where fake seances are held.
(d) It becomes frequented by Freudians.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kinbote is steadfast in his assertion that "Pale Fire" was intended to be how many lines long?
2. Who does King Charles finally marry?
3. What does Kinbote do during John Shade's birthday party?
4. "Pale Fire" is broken up into how many cantos?
5. How many lines are in Canto Four?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)