|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John Shade's aunt is best described as what?
2. John Shade is skeptical but he wants to believe in what?
(b) The after-life.
(c) His daughther is still alive.
(d) His lineage of Zemblan Kings.
3. Kinbote leaves his blinds open to give him a better view of what?
(a) The library.
(b) The Shade's living room.
(c) The gardener.
(d) Garden Avenue.
4. What does Kinbote give John Shade for his birthday?
(a) A book of poetry.
(b) A drawing of King Charles' castle.
(c) A gown.
(d) A chess board.
5. How do the Shade's spend the evening of their daughter's blind date?
(a) Watching television.
(b) Writing poems.
(c) Studying birds.
6. How do the extremists learn the King has escaped?
(a) He is killed in New Wye.
(b) He leaves a letter.
(c) He gives a radio broadcast.
(d) They find out Odon is making a film in France.
7. During the forward Charles Kinbote oddly notes that he is distracted by who/what?
(b) An amusement park.
(c) A squirrel.
(d) Sybill Shade.
8. What are the two most important things in Shade's life?
(a) His job as a professor and his wife.
(b) His poetry and his wife.
(c) His Zemblan heritage and his wife.
(d) His wife and Charles Kinbote.
9. What typically goes on at the I.P.H.?
(a) People gather to discuss Zemblan history.
(b) People gather to discuss the after-life.
(c) People gather to discuss different species of birds.
(d) Poets gather to read their work.
10. The first draft of "Pale Fire" was composed on a series of index cards. How many index cards did the author use?
11. John Shade vows to further explore what in Canto Two?
(a) The depths of human consciousness.
(b) The Zemblan Kings and their Gods.
(c) The possibility of an afterlife.
(d) Reincarnation vs. heaven and hell.
12. Which of the following is not among John Shade's pet peeves?
(a) Abstract art.
(b) Super market music.
13. What are the two ways to write according to Shade in Canto Three?
(a) Literally and ironically.
(b) In the bathtub, and at a desk.
(c) In the mind and while writing.
(d) Indoors and outdoors.
14. Of the following, what do John Shade and the assassin have in common?
(a) They both were orphaned.
(b) They both had aunts who were put in an asylum.
(c) They were both Zemblan kings.
(d) They were both born in Russia.
15. What happened to Shade's parents when he was a boy?
(a) They put him up for adoption.
(b) They divorced/seperated.
(c) They were imprisoned.
(d) They died.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what time of the year does John Shade prefer to write?
2. Which of the following best describes John Shade's idea of life on earth?
3. Of the following, what do King Charles and John Shade have in common?
4. How do the extremists try to prevent King Charles from leaving the country?
5. What was John Shade's "first book" as mentioned in Canto Four?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)