|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charles Kinbote assumes John Shade wanted to write a great deal more about Zembla, but did not. Who or what does Kinbote attribute this too?
(a) The Shadeans.
(b) John Shade's wife.
(d) Poor translation from Zemblan to English.
2. Kinbote notes that the poem alludes to what fictional character?
(b) Sherlock Holmes.
(c) King Charles.
(d) Shakespeare's Henry VIII.
3. What does Shade find out when he tracks down the woman who had the same vision of the after-life that he did?
(a) She also had a daughter who passed away recently.
(b) She had a different vision.
(c) She is married to Charles Kinbote.
(d) She is a Zemblan queen.
4. During the forward Charles Kinbote oddly notes that he is distracted by who/what?
(a) An amusement park.
(b) A squirrel.
(c) Sybill Shade.
5. Kinbote leaves his blinds open to give him a better view of what?
(a) The gardener.
(b) The library.
(c) The Shade's living room.
(d) Garden Avenue.
6. In Canto Two we find that Shade's daughter had been vacationing in what faraway place?
(b) New Wye.
7. Which Pope is mentioned in the commentary to Line 85?
(a) Benedict IX.
(b) Pius X.
(c) Stephen II.
(d) Alexander I.
8. How does King Charles flee Zembla?
(a) On foot.
(b) By car.
(c) By plane.
(d) By boat.
9. Charles Kinbote wants the reader to see the image of who/what after reading the lines 131-132, "I was the waxing slain by feigned remoteness in the windowpane?"
(b) John Shade's blackouts.
(d) Sybil Shade.
10. While he makes his way through the mountains, King Charles stops to spend the night in which of the following places?
(a) On a farm.
(b) In an abandoned car.
(c) In the woods.
(d) In a cave.
11. Who makes sexual advances on King Charles during the commentary to line 149?
12. Who gives Kinbote information about John Shade's daughter?
(a) Shade's former secretary.
(b) Sybil Shade.
(c) John Shade.
(d) An old newspaper article.
13. John Shade gives a lecture on what in Canto Three?
14. Of the following, which most accurately describes the lines in the first stanza of Canto One?
(a) They are written in ryhming couplets.
(b) They lack punctuation
(c) They have the same number of words
(d) They are symetrical.
15. Charles Kinbote criticizes an article written by Professor Hurley for what reason?
(a) It does not mention Zembla.
(b) The article does not mention "Pale Fire."
(c) The article doesn't mention Kinbote and Shade's friendship.
(d) The article is critical of John Shade.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal did Shade's parents study?
2. What happens to John Shade's aunt?
3. What are the two ways to write according to Shade in Canto Three?
4. How do the extremists try to prevent King Charles from leaving the country?
5. Who is the previous inhabitant of Charles Kinbote's house?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)