|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Kinbote and Shade meet?
(b) The English Department faculty lounge.
(c) The library .
(d) The faculty club at lunch time.
2. In the commentary to Line 137, what phrase, used by John Shade in "Pale Fire", does Kinbote claim has no real meaning?
(c) Waxing slain.
3. Which of the following has Shade renounced?
(a) His friends.
(b) His family.
(c) His country.
(d) His religion.
4. Who or what does John Shade claim to see in his near-death experience?
(a) The Zemblan Mountains.
(b) His Wife.
(c) His daughter.
(d) A fountain.
5. John Shade recites his poetry to one person prior to its publication. Who is that person?
(a) The king of Zembla.
(b) Charles Kinbote.
(c) His wife.
(d) Dr. Sutton.
6. Which of the following best describes John Shade's daughter?
(a) Attractive, but tormented.
(b) Humble and worried.
(c) Introverted, but fascinating.
(d) Unattractive and intellegent.
7. How does King Charles get out of the room where he is being held prisoner without being detected?
(a) He makes a rope ladder and climbs out the window.
(b) He disguses himself as a guard and walks out the front door.
(c) He escapes through a secret passageway.
(d) He seduces a guard who sets him free.
8. What book does King Charles find on his way out of the castle?
(a) A book of John Shade's poetry.
(b) The Bible.
(c) Romeo and Juliet.
(d) Timon of Athens.
9. Of the following, who is not mentioned in the first Canto?
(a) Dr. Sutton.
(b) Shade's aunt.
(c) A Candian maid.
(d) The King of Zembla.
10. Who helps King Charles escape?
(a) Charles Kinbote.
(d) John Shade.
11. When did John Shade begin Canto Two?
(a) July 5th.
(b) On his wedding anniversary.
(c) July 4th.
(d) On the anniversary of his daughter's death.
12. What happens to John Shade's aunt?
(a) She falls down the stairs and breaks her hip.
(b) She has a stroke and is moved to a sanitarium.
(c) She has a heart attack and dies.
(d) She drowns in a lake.
13. What does Kinbote want us to believe was the catalyst for John Shade's choice to set "Pale Fire" during the winter months?
(a) The Zemblan King's assasination in January.
(b) The great tragedy Shade has experienced during winter.
(c) Bird flying south for the winter.
(d) Shade meeting Kinbote during the previous winter.
14. Charles Kinbote assumes John Shade wanted to write a great deal more about Zembla, but did not. Who or what does Kinbote attribute this too?
(a) The Shadeans.
(b) Poor translation from Zemblan to English.
(d) John Shade's wife.
15. On what day did John Shade begin composing his poem "Pale Fire?"
(a) July 4th.
(b) July 1st.
(c) We are not told explicitly, only that it is during the summer.
(d) July 5th.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who raises John Shade during his childhood?
2. How did King Alfin the Vague die?
3. How does King Charles flee Zembla?
4. What is the name of John Shade's aunt?
5. John Shade is skeptical but he wants to believe in what?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)