|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the following, which has been added to Shade's childhood home?
(a) A chimney.
(b) A garage.
(d) A TV antenna.
2. Following the death of King Charles' mother, Queen Blenda, a seance is held for what purpose?
(a) So Charles can talk to his mother.
(b) To rid the castle of evil spirits.
(c) To bring Queen Blenda's spirit back to earth.
(d) To convince Charles to marry Fleur.
3. Which of the following best describes King Alfin the Vague?
(a) Evil and harsh.
(b) Absent-minded and unworldly.
(c) Powerful and vindictive.
(d) Crafty and intelligent.
4. Kinbote leaves his blinds open to give him a better view of what?
(a) The gardener.
(b) The Shade's living room.
(c) The library.
(d) Garden Avenue.
5. John Shade comes to the realization that he can not find what at the I.P.H.?
(a) Truth about the after-life.
(b) Truth about bird watching.
(c) Truth about Shakespeare's sonnets.
(d) Truth about the sordid history of Zembla.
6. John Shade vows to further explore what in Canto Two?
(a) The Zemblan Kings and their Gods.
(b) Reincarnation vs. heaven and hell.
(c) The depths of human consciousness.
(d) The possibility of an afterlife.
7. How do the extremists try to prevent King Charles from leaving the country?
(a) They search all caves.
(b) They close all the airports.
(c) They search all trains.
(d) They outlaw driving.
8. Which of the following best describes a recurring theme in the first Canto?
9. Canto Four contains a metaphor comparing this activity to John Shade's writing process?
10. After King Charles is out of the mountains, he receives a message to go to which of the following locations?
(b) New Wye.
(c) The Bera Range.
(d) The Rippleton Caves.
11. Which of the following most closely describes Kinbote's depiction by university drama students?
(a) A brilliant writer and professor who is loyal to his friend John Shade.
(b) A raving lunatic with no perception of reality.
(c) A displaced Zemblan king on the run from assassins.
(d) A pompus woman-hater with a German accent.
12. Charles Kinbote thinks John Shade enjoyed more "creative freedom" during the composition of which Canto?
(a) Canto Two.
(b) Canto Three.
(c) Canto One.
(d) Canto Four.
13. What are the two ways to write according to Shade in Canto Three?
(a) In the bathtub, and at a desk.
(b) Literally and ironically.
(c) In the mind and while writing.
(d) Indoors and outdoors.
14. Who makes sexual advances on King Charles during the commentary to line 149?
15. Which Pope is mentioned in the commentary to Line 85?
(a) Pius X.
(b) Stephen II.
(c) Alexander I.
(d) Benedict IX.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does King Charles flee Zembla?
2. Of the following, what do John Shade and the assassin have in common?
3. What was John Shade's "first book" as mentioned in Canto Four?
4. John Shade reads an article written by this person about a woman who had a similar vision?
5. John Shade's daughter is how old at the beginning of Canto Three?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)