|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is King Alfin the Vague's son?
(a) John Shade.
(b) Charles Kinbote.
(c) Dr. Sutton.
(d) King Charles.
2. Which of the following has Shade renounced?
(a) His country.
(b) His family.
(c) His friends.
(d) His religion.
3. The first draft of "Pale Fire" was composed on a series of index cards. How many index cards did the author use?
4. How do the extremists try to prevent King Charles from leaving the country?
(a) They outlaw driving.
(b) They search all caves.
(c) They close all the airports.
(d) They search all trains.
5. Which Pope is mentioned in the commentary to Line 85?
(a) Benedict IX.
(b) Alexander I.
(c) Stephen II.
(d) Pius X.
6. On what day did John Shade begin composing his poem "Pale Fire?"
(a) July 4th.
(b) July 1st.
(c) We are not told explicitly, only that it is during the summer.
(d) July 5th.
7. John Shade is skeptical but he wants to believe in what?
(a) His daughther is still alive.
(c) The after-life.
(d) His lineage of Zemblan Kings.
8. John Shade gives a lecture on what in Canto Three?
9. Charles Kinbote "mercifully " attributes this name to one professor, perhaps due to his green jacket.
(a) Dr. Nattochdag.
(b) Jim Coates.
(c) Green Velvet.
(d) Gerald Emerald.
10. "Pale Fire" is broken up into how many cantos?
11. John Shade vows to further explore what in Canto Two?
(a) The depths of human consciousness.
(b) The possibility of an afterlife.
(c) The Zemblan Kings and their Gods.
(d) Reincarnation vs. heaven and hell.
12. How does King Charles flee Zembla?
(a) By car.
(b) By boat.
(c) On foot.
(d) By plane.
13. Which best describes Kinbote's reason for rejecting the offer by the first potential publisher of "Pale Fire"?
(a) He made Kinbote responsible for any errors in the commentary.
(b) Kinbote would not have full editorial control.
(c) Sybil Shade would not recieve her full share of the profits.
(d) He would not let Kinbote translate the poem into Zemblan.
14. How many lines are in Canto Four?
(a) 166 lines.
(b) 334 lines.
(c) 165 lines.
(d) 999 lines.
15. Kinbote is steadfast in his assertion that "Pale Fire" was intended to be how many lines long?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Shade when he wrote Canto Two?
2. Who makes sexual advances on King Charles during the commentary to line 149?
3. How do the Shade's spend the evening of their daughter's blind date?
4. How does John Shade understand his life?
5. What are the two most important things in Shade's life?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)