|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Shade find out when he tracks down the woman who had the same vision of the after-life that he did?
(a) She had a different vision.
(b) She is a Zemblan queen.
(c) She is married to Charles Kinbote.
(d) She also had a daughter who passed away recently.
2. Where do the Shade's travel to take their minds off their daughter's death?
(d) New Wye.
3. Which of the following best describes the pervading theme of Canto Four?
(a) John Shade's relationship with his family.
(b) John Shade's relationship with Charles Kinbote.
(c) John Shade's writing process.
(d) John Shade's time in Zembla.
4. How does King Charles get out of the room where he is being held prisoner without being detected?
(a) He disguses himself as a guard and walks out the front door.
(b) He makes a rope ladder and climbs out the window.
(c) He escapes through a secret passageway.
(d) He seduces a guard who sets him free.
5. King Alfin the Vague was an amateur______ .
6. According to Kinbote, where did Sybil Shade relocate to upon John Shade's death?
7. How do the people of Zembla aid in King Charles' flight?
(a) They fight off the Extremists.
(b) They create a distraction with a hot air balloon.
(c) They provide Charles refuge along the way.
(d) They dress like him to serve as decoys.
8. Charles Kinbote thinks John Shade enjoyed more "creative freedom" during the composition of which Canto?
(a) Canto One.
(b) Canto Four.
(c) Canto Two.
(d) Canto Three.
9. John Shade criticizes his students for which of the following transgressions?
(a) Writing "irony" in the margins of their books.
(b) Reading stupidly.
(c) Using cliches.
(d) Talking about Zembla.
10. Where was the foreword written?
(c) New Wye.
(d) Cedarn, Utana.
11. John Shade's daughter is how old at the beginning of Canto Three?
(a) 6 months.
(b) We don't know exactly, only that she's a small child.
(c) A senior in high school.
12. Who makes sexual advances on King Charles during the commentary to line 149?
13. Who does Kinbote blame for not receiving an invitation to John Shade's birthday party?
(a) John Shade.
(c) Sybil Shade.
(d) Dr. Sutton.
14. Which best describes Kinbote's reason for rejecting the offer by the first potential publisher of "Pale Fire"?
(a) Kinbote would not have full editorial control.
(b) He made Kinbote responsible for any errors in the commentary.
(c) He would not let Kinbote translate the poem into Zemblan.
(d) Sybil Shade would not recieve her full share of the profits.
15. What does Kinbote want us to believe was the catalyst for John Shade's choice to set "Pale Fire" during the winter months?
(a) The Zemblan King's assasination in January.
(b) The great tragedy Shade has experienced during winter.
(c) Shade meeting Kinbote during the previous winter.
(d) Bird flying south for the winter.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the commentary to Line 137, what phrase, used by John Shade in "Pale Fire", does Kinbote claim has no real meaning?
2. Charles Kinbote wants the reader to see the image of who/what after reading the lines 131-132, "I was the waxing slain by feigned remoteness in the windowpane?"
3. Once King Charles is outside his room he must escape from what part of the castle?
4. "Forty ounces of fine sand" describes what in Canto One?
5. How does John Shade understand his life?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)