|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John Shade reads an article written by this person about a woman who had a similar vision?
(a) Gerald Emerald.
(b) The President of the IPH.
(c) Charles Kinbote.
(d) Jim Coats.
2. Queen Blenda's favorite hobby is ______ .
(c) Bird watching.
3. A fellow-professor calls Charles Kinbote by what nickname?
(a) Gerald Emerald.
(b) Prof. C.
(c) The Great Beaver.
(d) The King of Zembla.
4. John Shade's aunt is best described as what?
5. Where was the foreword written?
(b) New Wye.
(c) Cedarn, Utana.
6. Which of the following best describes King Alfin the Vague?
(a) Absent-minded and unworldly.
(b) Crafty and intelligent.
(c) Powerful and vindictive.
(d) Evil and harsh.
7. Where did Kinbote and Shade meet?
(a) The English Department faculty lounge.
(b) The library .
(d) The faculty club at lunch time.
8. Which Pope is mentioned in the commentary to Line 85?
(a) Benedict IX.
(b) Alexander I.
(c) Pius X.
(d) Stephen II.
9. Which of the following does not happen to the I.P.H.?
(a) It is turned into a church.
(b) It becomes a place where fake seances are held.
(c) It becomes frequented by Freudians.
(d) It becomes more Buddhist.
10. How does King Charles get out of the room where he is being held prisoner without being detected?
(a) He disguses himself as a guard and walks out the front door.
(b) He escapes through a secret passageway.
(c) He makes a rope ladder and climbs out the window.
(d) He seduces a guard who sets him free.
11. What does Shade find out when he tracks down the woman who had the same vision of the after-life that he did?
(a) She had a different vision.
(b) She is a Zemblan queen.
(c) She also had a daughter who passed away recently.
(d) She is married to Charles Kinbote.
12. "Pale Fire" is broken up into how many cantos?
13. When did John Shade meet his wife?
(a) Their senior year of high school.
(b) 40 years ago.
(c) After his parents' funeral.
(d) During the depression.
14. What typically goes on at the I.P.H.?
(a) People gather to discuss the after-life.
(b) People gather to discuss different species of birds.
(c) Poets gather to read their work.
(d) People gather to discuss Zemblan history.
15. Who or what does John Shade claim to see in his near-death experience?
(a) His daughter.
(b) The Zemblan Mountains.
(c) His Wife.
(d) A fountain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once King Charles is outside his room he must escape from what part of the castle?
2. Kinbote notes that the poem alludes to what fictional character?
3. Which of the following is not mentioned by Shade in Canto One?
4. In lines 936 and 937 of "Pale Fire" the phrase "I plow Old Zembla's fields" is used by John Shade as part of a metaphor for what literal activity?
5. John Shade vows to further explore what in Canto Two?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)