|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Kinbote, where did Sybil Shade relocate to upon John Shade's death?
2. Who gives Kinbote information about John Shade's daughter?
(a) John Shade.
(b) Shade's former secretary.
(c) An old newspaper article.
(d) Sybil Shade.
3. Where was the foreword written?
(c) Cedarn, Utana.
(d) New Wye.
4. Which of the following is not mentioned by Shade in Canto One?
(a) The sky.
(b) Dr. Sutton.
(c) A baseball game.
(d) The Zemblan countryside.
5. "Pale Fire" is broken up into how many cantos?
6. Who or what does John Shade claim to see in his near-death experience?
(a) His Wife.
(b) A fountain.
(c) His daughter.
(d) The Zemblan Mountains.
7. Charles Kinbote thinks the reference to "that crystal land" in line 12 refers to what place?
(d) New Wye.
8. What are the two ways to write according to Shade in Canto Three?
(a) In the mind and while writing.
(b) In the bathtub, and at a desk.
(c) Literally and ironically.
(d) Indoors and outdoors.
9. Where did Kinbote and Shade meet?
(a) The library .
(b) The English Department faculty lounge.
(c) The faculty club at lunch time.
10. Which of the following best describes John Shade's daughter?
(a) Humble and worried.
(b) Unattractive and intellegent.
(c) Attractive, but tormented.
(d) Introverted, but fascinating.
11. On what day did John Shade begin composing his poem "Pale Fire?"
(a) We are not told explicitly, only that it is during the summer.
(b) July 5th.
(c) July 1st.
(d) July 4th.
12. Which of the following is not among John Shade's pet peeves?
(c) Super market music.
(d) Abstract art.
13. Who makes sexual advances on King Charles during the commentary to line 149?
14. John Shade is skeptical but he wants to believe in what?
(a) His lineage of Zemblan Kings.
(b) The after-life.
(c) His daughther is still alive.
15. Following the death of King Charles' mother, Queen Blenda, a seance is held for what purpose?
(a) To bring Queen Blenda's spirit back to earth.
(b) To convince Charles to marry Fleur.
(c) So Charles can talk to his mother.
(d) To rid the castle of evil spirits.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Shade when he wrote Canto Two?
2. What is the name of the secret group that sends an assassin after King Charles?
3. John Shade gives a lecture on what in Canto Three?
4. What book does King Charles find on his way out of the castle?
5. How do the extremists learn the King has escaped?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)