|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the Shade's travel to take their minds off their daughter's death?
(d) New Wye.
2. Who or what does John Shade claim to see in his near-death experience?
(a) A fountain.
(b) His Wife.
(c) The Zemblan Mountains.
(d) His daughter.
3. How do the extremists try to prevent King Charles from leaving the country?
(a) They close all the airports.
(b) They search all trains.
(c) They outlaw driving.
(d) They search all caves.
4. What is the assassin's real name?
(a) Jacques de Gray.
(b) Jack Degree.
(c) Jake Ravus.
(d) Jakob Gradus.
5. Which of the following best describes King Alfin the Vague?
(a) Evil and harsh.
(b) Powerful and vindictive.
(c) Absent-minded and unworldly.
(d) Crafty and intelligent.
6. Kinbote notes that the poem alludes to what fictional character?
(a) Sherlock Holmes.
(b) Shakespeare's Henry VIII.
(c) King Charles.
7. What happened to Shade's parents when he was a boy?
(a) They were imprisoned.
(b) They divorced/seperated.
(c) They died.
(d) They put him up for adoption.
8. Who does King Charles finally marry?
(b) The Countess.
(d) Disa, Duchess of Payn.
9. Charles Kinbote thinks the reference to "that crystal land" in line 12 refers to what place?
(d) New Wye.
10. Why does young King Charles refuse to consummate his relationship with Fleur?
(a) He is homosexual.
(b) She tries to steal from him.
(c) Her family is poor.
(d) She is ugly.
11. Who does Kinbote blame for not receiving an invitation to John Shade's birthday party?
(a) Sybil Shade.
(c) Dr. Sutton.
(d) John Shade.
12. Who helps King Charles escape?
(a) John Shade.
(b) Charles Kinbote.
13. When did John Shade begin Canto Two?
(a) On the anniversary of his daughter's death.
(b) On his wedding anniversary.
(c) July 4th.
(d) July 5th.
14. John Shade comes to the realization that he can not find what at the I.P.H.?
(a) Truth about bird watching.
(b) Truth about the sordid history of Zembla.
(c) Truth about the after-life.
(d) Truth about Shakespeare's sonnets.
15. Queen Blenda's favorite hobby is ______ .
(a) Bird watching.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Kinbote, who was Thurgus the Third's lover?
2. What does Kinbote want us to believe was the catalyst for John Shade's choice to set "Pale Fire" during the winter months?
3. How do the people of Zembla aid in King Charles' flight?
4. Who makes sexual advances on King Charles during the commentary to line 149?
5. Who raises John Shade during his childhood?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)