|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charles Kinbote thinks the reference to "that crystal land" in line 12 refers to what place?
(c) New Wye.
2. In the commentary to Line 181, Shade produces a book by what author and shows it to Sybil Shade?
(a) Vladimir Nabokov.
(b) John Shade.
(d) William Shakespeare.
3. What does Shade find out when he tracks down the woman who had the same vision of the after-life that he did?
(a) She is married to Charles Kinbote.
(b) She is a Zemblan queen.
(c) She also had a daughter who passed away recently.
(d) She had a different vision.
4. How does John Shade's daughter die?
(a) She drowns.
(b) She steps in front of a train.
(c) She poisons herself.
(d) She freezes to death in a field.
5. How did King Alfin the Vague die?
(a) In a plane crash.
(b) He had a stroke.
(c) He was assassinated.
(d) He committed suicide.
6. Charles Kinbote criticizes an article written by Professor Hurley for what reason?
(a) It does not mention Zembla.
(b) The article doesn't mention Kinbote and Shade's friendship.
(c) The article does not mention "Pale Fire."
(d) The article is critical of John Shade.
7. How do the Shade's spend the evening of their daughter's blind date?
(a) Watching television.
(b) Studying birds.
(c) Writing poems.
8. Which of the following does not happen to the I.P.H.?
(a) It becomes a place where fake seances are held.
(b) It becomes more Buddhist.
(c) It is turned into a church.
(d) It becomes frequented by Freudians.
9. How do the extremists learn the King has escaped?
(a) They find out Odon is making a film in France.
(b) He leaves a letter.
(c) He is killed in New Wye.
(d) He gives a radio broadcast.
10. What animal did Shade's parents study?
11. Which Pope is mentioned in the commentary to Line 85?
(a) Benedict IX.
(b) Stephen II.
(c) Alexander I.
(d) Pius X.
12. During the forward Charles Kinbote oddly notes that he is distracted by who/what?
(a) Sybill Shade.
(b) An amusement park.
(c) A squirrel.
13. What happens to John Shade's aunt?
(a) She has a heart attack and dies.
(b) She has a stroke and is moved to a sanitarium.
(c) She drowns in a lake.
(d) She falls down the stairs and breaks her hip.
14. How does King Charles get out of the room where he is being held prisoner without being detected?
(a) He escapes through a secret passageway.
(b) He makes a rope ladder and climbs out the window.
(c) He seduces a guard who sets him free.
(d) He disguses himself as a guard and walks out the front door.
15. How does King Charles flee Zembla?
(a) By boat.
(b) On foot.
(c) By car.
(d) By plane.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kinbote want us to believe was the catalyst for John Shade's choice to set "Pale Fire" during the winter months?
2. On what day did John Shade begin composing his poem "Pale Fire?"
3. What did Charles Kinbote do with the cat?
4. How many lines are in Canto Four?
5. Canto Four contains a metaphor comparing this activity to John Shade's writing process?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)