|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two most important things in Shade's life?
(a) His job as a professor and his wife.
(b) His Zemblan heritage and his wife.
(c) His wife and Charles Kinbote.
(d) His poetry and his wife.
2. Which Pope is mentioned in the commentary to Line 85?
(a) Pius X.
(b) Benedict IX.
(c) Alexander I.
(d) Stephen II.
3. How does King Charles get out of the room where he is being held prisoner without being detected?
(a) He seduces a guard who sets him free.
(b) He disguses himself as a guard and walks out the front door.
(c) He escapes through a secret passageway.
(d) He makes a rope ladder and climbs out the window.
4. What happened to Shade's parents when he was a boy?
(a) They put him up for adoption.
(b) They were imprisoned.
(c) They died.
(d) They divorced/seperated.
5. John Shade's aunt is best described as what?
6. Kinbote leaves his blinds open to give him a better view of what?
(a) The library.
(b) The Shade's living room.
(c) Garden Avenue.
(d) The gardener.
7. Where did Kinbote and Shade meet?
(a) The faculty club at lunch time.
(b) The library .
(c) The English Department faculty lounge.
8. Who is the previous inhabitant of Charles Kinbote's house?
(a) Wordsmith University's gardener.
(b) Dr. Sutton.
(c) Judge Goldsmith.
(d) The King of Zembla.
9. Following the death of King Charles' mother, Queen Blenda, a seance is held for what purpose?
(a) To rid the castle of evil spirits.
(b) So Charles can talk to his mother.
(c) To convince Charles to marry Fleur.
(d) To bring Queen Blenda's spirit back to earth.
10. What event causes John Shade to have a vision of the afterlife?
(a) He has a heart attack.
(b) He suffers a stroke.
(c) He gets lost in the Zemblan Mountains without food or water.
(d) He is hit by a car.
11. Who is King Charles' grandfather?
(a) Charles Kinbote.
(c) King Alfin the Vague.
(d) Thurgus the Third.
12. According to Kinbote, who was Thurgus the Third's lover?
(a) Iris Acht.
(d) Maude Shade.
13. What happens to John Shade's aunt?
(a) She has a stroke and is moved to a sanitarium.
(b) She falls down the stairs and breaks her hip.
(c) She drowns in a lake.
(d) She has a heart attack and dies.
14. What was John Shade's "first book" as mentioned in Canto Four?
(a) Nite Rote.
(b) Hebe's Cup.
(c) Dim Gulf.
15. Charles Kinbote thinks the reference to "that crystal land" in line 12 refers to what place?
(d) New Wye.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Kinbote information about John Shade's daughter?
2. A fellow-professor calls Charles Kinbote by what nickname?
3. Which of the following is not mentioned by Shade in Canto One?
4. The first draft of "Pale Fire" was composed on a series of index cards. How many index cards did the author use?
5. Where do the Shade's travel to take their minds off their daughter's death?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)