Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did John Shade begin Canto Two?
(a) On his wedding anniversary.
(b) July 5th.
(c) July 4th.
(d) On the anniversary of his daughter's death.
2. Who makes sexual advances on King Charles during the commentary to line 149?
3. Which of the following is not mentioned by Shade in Canto One?
(a) The sky.
(b) Dr. Sutton.
(c) A baseball game.
(d) The Zemblan countryside.
4. After King Charles is out of the mountains, he receives a message to go to which of the following locations?
(a) The Rippleton Caves.
(b) New Wye.
(d) The Bera Range.
5. King Alfin the Vague was an amateur______ .
6. Once King Charles is outside his room he must escape from what part of the castle?
(a) The theater.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The basement.
(d) The tower.
7. Charles Kinbote thinks John Shade enjoyed more "creative freedom" during the composition of which Canto?
(a) Canto Four.
(b) Canto One.
(c) Canto Three.
(d) Canto Two.
8. How did King Alfin the Vague die?
(a) In a plane crash.
(b) He was assassinated.
(c) He had a stroke.
(d) He committed suicide.
9. During the forward Charles Kinbote oddly notes that he is distracted by who/what?
(a) An amusement park.
(c) Sybill Shade.
(d) A squirrel.
10. What happened to Shade's parents when he was a boy?
(a) They divorced/seperated.
(b) They were imprisoned.
(c) They died.
(d) They put him up for adoption.
11. In the commentary to Line 181, Shade produces a book by what author and shows it to Sybil Shade?
(a) Vladimir Nabokov.
(c) William Shakespeare.
(d) John Shade.
12. Which of the following has Shade renounced?
(a) His friends.
(b) His country.
(c) His family.
(d) His religion.
13. Why does young King Charles refuse to consummate his relationship with Fleur?
(a) Her family is poor.
(b) She is ugly.
(c) He is homosexual.
(d) She tries to steal from him.
14. Following the death of King Charles' mother, Queen Blenda, a seance is held for what purpose?
(a) To bring Queen Blenda's spirit back to earth.
(b) So Charles can talk to his mother.
(c) To convince Charles to marry Fleur.
(d) To rid the castle of evil spirits.
15. How many lines are in Canto Four?
(a) 166 lines.
(b) 999 lines.
(c) 334 lines.
(d) 165 lines.
Short Answer Questions
1. John Shade recites his poetry to one person prior to its publication. Who is that person?
2. John Shade vows to further explore what in Canto Two?
3. What did Charles Kinbote do with the cat?
4. During what time of the year does John Shade prefer to write?
5. Who does Kinbote blame for not receiving an invitation to John Shade's birthday party?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)