|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first draft of "Pale Fire" was composed on a series of index cards. How many index cards did the author use?
2. What did Charles Kinbote do with the cat?
(a) He gave it to John Shade as a birthday gift.
(b) He accidentally poisoned it.
(c) He gave it to the maid.
(d) He wrote a poem about it.
3. How do the extremists think King Charles will try to escape Zembla?
(a) By plane.
(b) By boat.
(c) By car.
(d) On foot.
4. When did John Shade begin Canto Two?
(a) July 5th.
(b) On the anniversary of his daughter's death.
(c) On his wedding anniversary.
(d) July 4th.
5. How does King Charles flee Zembla?
(a) By car.
(b) By plane.
(c) On foot.
(d) By boat.
6. Who or what does John Shade claim to see in his near-death experience?
(a) His daughter.
(b) The Zemblan Mountains.
(c) His Wife.
(d) A fountain.
7. During what time of day does John Shade prefer to write?
(a) After dinner.
(c) Bath time.
(d) Late afternoon.
8. What animal did Shade's parents study?
9. Who is the previous inhabitant of Charles Kinbote's house?
(a) The King of Zembla.
(b) Dr. Sutton.
(c) Wordsmith University's gardener.
(d) Judge Goldsmith.
10. John Shade's daughter is how old at the beginning of Canto Three?
(a) 6 months.
(b) A senior in high school.
(d) We don't know exactly, only that she's a small child.
11. Following the death of King Charles' mother, Queen Blenda, a seance is held for what purpose?
(a) So Charles can talk to his mother.
(b) To rid the castle of evil spirits.
(c) To convince Charles to marry Fleur.
(d) To bring Queen Blenda's spirit back to earth.
12. John Shade's aunt is best described as what?
13. Who sets up John Shade's daughter on a blind date?
(b) His aunt.
(c) Dr. Sutton.
(d) His secretary.
14. How did King Alfin the Vague die?
(a) He had a stroke.
(b) He committed suicide.
(c) He was assassinated.
(d) In a plane crash.
15. Who is King Alfin the Vague's son?
(a) Dr. Sutton.
(b) Charles Kinbote.
(c) John Shade.
(d) King Charles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the pervading theme of Canto Four?
2. What is the name of the secret group that sends an assassin after King Charles?
3. King Alfin the Vague was an amateur______ .
4. Of the following, which most accurately describes the lines in the first stanza of Canto One?
5. What was John Shade's "first book" as mentioned in Canto Four?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)