|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the extremists try to prevent King Charles from leaving the country?
(a) They outlaw driving.
(b) They search all trains.
(c) They close all the airports.
(d) They search all caves.
2. What does Kinbote give John Shade for his birthday?
(a) A book of poetry.
(b) A drawing of King Charles' castle.
(c) A gown.
(d) A chess board.
3. "Pale Fire" is broken up into how many cantos?
4. Which of the following best describes King Alfin the Vague?
(a) Absent-minded and unworldly.
(b) Powerful and vindictive.
(c) Evil and harsh.
(d) Crafty and intelligent.
5. What happens to John Shade's aunt?
(a) She has a heart attack and dies.
(b) She has a stroke and is moved to a sanitarium.
(c) She falls down the stairs and breaks her hip.
(d) She drowns in a lake.
6. John Shade's aunt is best described as what?
7. How old was Shade when he wrote Canto Two?
(b) We are never told exactly, only that he is "a youth".
8. In the commentary to Line 181, Shade produces a book by what author and shows it to Sybil Shade?
(a) John Shade.
(b) Vladimir Nabokov.
(c) William Shakespeare.
9. Who is King Alfin the Vague's son?
(a) Charles Kinbote.
(b) John Shade.
(c) King Charles.
(d) Dr. Sutton.
10. After King Charles is out of the mountains, he receives a message to go to which of the following locations?
(a) New Wye.
(b) The Bera Range.
(d) The Rippleton Caves.
11. How many lines are in Canto Four?
(a) 999 lines.
(b) 166 lines.
(c) 334 lines.
(d) 165 lines.
12. Who makes sexual advances on King Charles during the commentary to line 149?
13. What is the name of the secret group that sends an assassin after King Charles?
(a) The Extreme.
(b) The Shadows.
(c) The Marxists.
(d) The Freudians.
14. Of the following, which most accurately describes the lines in the first stanza of Canto One?
(a) They have the same number of words
(b) They are symetrical.
(c) They lack punctuation
(d) They are written in ryhming couplets.
15. Which of the following best describes John Shade's daughter?
(a) Attractive, but tormented.
(b) Unattractive and intellegent.
(c) Introverted, but fascinating.
(d) Humble and worried.
Short Answer Questions
1. Canto Four contains a metaphor comparing this activity to John Shade's writing process?
2. John Shade criticizes his students for which of the following transgressions?
3. Who or what does John Shade claim to see in his near-death experience?
4. Who sets up John Shade's daughter on a blind date?
5. Queen Blenda's favorite hobby is ______ .
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)