|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Commentary, Line 681: gloomy Russians spied through Line 691: the attack.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Kinbote and Shade meet?
(b) The library .
(c) The English Department faculty lounge.
(d) The faculty club at lunch time.
2. Kinbote notes that the poem alludes to what fictional character?
(a) Sherlock Holmes.
(c) King Charles.
(d) Shakespeare's Henry VIII.
3. What is the name of the secret group that sends an assassin after King Charles?
(a) The Shadows.
(b) The Freudians.
(c) The Extreme.
(d) The Marxists.
4. Kinbote claims the Russians are good at what sport?
(c) Ice hockey.
5. The first draft of "Pale Fire" was composed on a series of index cards. How many index cards did the author use?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Pope is mentioned in the commentary to Line 85?
2. Who or what does John Shade claim to see in his near-death experience?
3. Which of the following best describes the pervading theme of Canto Four?
4. In lines 936 and 937 of "Pale Fire" the phrase "I plow Old Zembla's fields" is used by John Shade as part of a metaphor for what literal activity?
5. According to Kinbote Russians search for what Zemblan treasure?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)