|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Commentary, Line 681: gloomy Russians spied through Line 691: the attack.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first draft of "Pale Fire" was composed on a series of index cards. How many index cards did the author use?
2. Gradus misinterprets a coded message from headquarters. What does he think his orders are?
(a) To dress in a red coat and hat.
(b) To wait in Geneva for a shipment of salmon.
(c) To wait in Geneva for further instructions.
(d) To follow the king to America.
3. When Gradus attempts to visit Joseph S. Lavender, Lavender asks Gradus if he is a/an ______?
(a) Art dealer.
4. What typically goes on at the I.P.H.?
(a) People gather to discuss Zemblan history.
(b) People gather to discuss the after-life.
(c) People gather to discuss different species of birds.
(d) Poets gather to read their work.
5. Kinbote notes that the poem alludes to what fictional character?
(a) Shakespeare's Henry VIII.
(b) Sherlock Holmes.
(c) King Charles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gradus go to look for the king?
2. Shade mentions his wife translating poems into what language?
3. What happened to Shade's parents when he was a boy?
4. Charles Kinbote "mercifully " attributes this name to one professor, perhaps due to his green jacket.
5. Which pair best describe the prominent motifs of the first Canto?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)