|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Commentary, Line 167: There was a time, etc. through Line 171: A great conspiracy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did John Shade meet his wife?
(a) During the depression.
(b) 40 years ago.
(c) Their senior year of high school.
(d) After his parents' funeral.
2. Canto Four contains a metaphor comparing this activity to John Shade's writing process?
3. What did Charles Kinbote do with the cat?
(a) He wrote a poem about it.
(b) He gave it to John Shade as a birthday gift.
(c) He gave it to the maid.
(d) He accidentally poisoned it.
4. Kinbote leaves his blinds open to give him a better view of what?
(a) The library.
(b) The gardener.
(c) Garden Avenue.
(d) The Shade's living room.
5. "Pale Fire" is broken up into how many cantos?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Shade's parents when he was a boy?
2. Of the following, which most accurately describes the lines in the first stanza of Canto One?
3. Which of the following best describes the pervading theme of Canto Four?
4. In lines 936 and 937 of "Pale Fire" the phrase "I plow Old Zembla's fields" is used by John Shade as part of a metaphor for what literal activity?
5. How do the people of Zembla aid in King Charles' flight?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)