|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Commentary, Line 71: parents through Line 101: No free man needs a God.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charles Kinbote criticizes an article written by Professor Hurley for what reason?
(a) The article does not mention "Pale Fire."
(b) It does not mention Zembla.
(c) The article doesn't mention Kinbote and Shade's friendship.
(d) The article is critical of John Shade.
2. Why does young King Charles refuse to consummate his relationship with Fleur?
(a) Her family is poor.
(b) She is ugly.
(c) She tries to steal from him.
(d) He is homosexual.
3. What does Shade find out when he tracks down the woman who had the same vision of the after-life that he did?
(a) She is a Zemblan queen.
(b) She had a different vision.
(c) She is married to Charles Kinbote.
(d) She also had a daughter who passed away recently.
4. Who raises John Shade during his childhood?
(a) Dr. Sutton.
(b) His aunt.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
5. Of the following, who is not mentioned in the first Canto?
(a) The King of Zembla.
(b) Shade's aunt.
(c) A Candian maid.
(d) Dr. Sutton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Following the death of King Charles' mother, Queen Blenda, a seance is held for what purpose?
2. Charles Kinbote assumes John Shade wanted to write a great deal more about Zembla, but did not. Who or what does Kinbote attribute this too?
3. Charles Kinbote thinks John Shade enjoyed more "creative freedom" during the composition of which Canto?
4. How do the Shade's spend the evening of their daughter's blind date?
5. Which of the following best describes John Shade's idea of life on earth?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)