|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Commentary, Lines 597-608: the thoughts we should roll-call, etc. through Line 680: Lolita.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Kinbote what is the only real name used in the poem, "Pale Fire?"
(a) Starover Blue.
2. Kinbote recounts a walk with John Shade. On this walk Kinbote unsuccessfully tries to pry from Shade information about which of the following topics?
(a) Shade's poem.
(b) Shade's daughter.
(d) Plants and animals.
3. What does Kinbote want us to believe was the catalyst for John Shade's choice to set "Pale Fire" during the winter months?
(a) Shade meeting Kinbote during the previous winter.
(b) The Zemblan King's assasination in January.
(c) Bird flying south for the winter.
(d) The great tragedy Shade has experienced during winter.
4. In this section (Lines 597-608), Charles Kinbote spies on a conversation between John Shade and whom?
(a) Mrs. Hurley.
(b) Dr. Sutton.
(d) Sybil Shade.
5. Of the following, what do John Shade and the assassin have in common?
(a) They were both Zemblan kings.
(b) They both were orphaned.
(c) They both had aunts who were put in an asylum.
(d) They were both born in Russia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kinbote notes that the poem alludes to what fictional character?
2. In this section, Kinbote gives an extended, negative critique of what?
3. What Kinbote thought was an amusement park outside is actually what?
4. Charles Kinbote thinks the reference to "that crystal land" in line 12 refers to what place?
5. On what day did John Shade begin composing his poem "Pale Fire?"
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)