|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Commentary, Lines 597-608: the thoughts we should roll-call, etc. through Line 680: Lolita.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kinbote fills in a blank space in "Pale Fire" with what name?
(a) King Charles.
(b) John Shade.
(d) His own.
2. Of the following, what do John Shade and the assassin have in common?
(a) They were both born in Russia.
(b) They were both Zemblan kings.
(c) They both had aunts who were put in an asylum.
(d) They both were orphaned.
3. According to Kinbote what is the only real name used in the poem, "Pale Fire?"
(d) Starover Blue.
4. John Shade recites his poetry to one person prior to its publication. Who is that person?
(a) Dr. Sutton.
(b) Charles Kinbote.
(c) The king of Zembla.
(d) His wife.
5. Charles Kinbote assumes John Shade wanted to write a great deal more about Zembla, but did not. Who or what does Kinbote attribute this too?
(a) John Shade's wife.
(b) The Shadeans.
(d) Poor translation from Zemblan to English.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the assassin's real name?
2. Who does John Shade address in line 246 which ends "...my dear"
3. In this section (Lines 597-608), Charles Kinbote spies on a conversation between John Shade and whom?
4. What does Gradus bring Oswin Bretwit?
5. What does Kinbote want us to believe was the catalyst for John Shade's choice to set "Pale Fire" during the winter months?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)