|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Commentary, Lines 597-608: the thoughts we should roll-call, etc. through Line 680: Lolita.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In this section, Kinbote gives an extended, negative critique of what?
(a) The New Wye faculty.
(b) Sybil Shade's translations.
(c) John Shade's religious views.
(d) John Shade's word choice.
2. John Shade says, "There's nothing wrong with shedding a dismal past to substitute pleasing _________?"
3. Oswin Bretwit kicks out Gradus when he realizes Gradus is not a Royalist. What does Bretwit assume is Gradus' profession?
(a) A reporter.
(b) An assassin.
(c) A Marxist recruiter.
(d) A spy.
4. Who does John Shade address in line 246 which ends "...my dear"
(a) His wife.
(b) His mother.
(c) Charles Kinbote.
(d) His daughter.
5. Of the following, what do John Shade and the assassin have in common?
(a) They both were orphaned.
(b) They were both born in Russia.
(c) They were both Zemblan kings.
(d) They both had aunts who were put in an asylum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kinbote recounts a walk with John Shade. On this walk Kinbote unsuccessfully tries to pry from Shade information about which of the following topics?
2. Charles Kinbote thinks John Shade enjoyed more "creative freedom" during the composition of which Canto?
3. What Kinbote thought was an amusement park outside is actually what?
4. According to Kinbote what is the only real name used in the poem, "Pale Fire?"
5. Charles Kinbote assumes John Shade wanted to write a great deal more about Zembla, but did not. Who or what does Kinbote attribute this too?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)