|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Commentary, Lines 597-608: the thoughts we should roll-call, etc. through Line 680: Lolita.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the following, what do John Shade and the assassin have in common?
(a) They were both born in Russia.
(b) They were both Zemblan kings.
(c) They both were orphaned.
(d) They both had aunts who were put in an asylum.
2. What did Charles Kinbote do with the cat?
(a) He gave it to the maid.
(b) He wrote a poem about it.
(c) He gave it to John Shade as a birthday gift.
(d) He accidentally poisoned it.
3. Kinbote recounts a walk with John Shade. On this walk Kinbote unsuccessfully tries to pry from Shade information about which of the following topics?
(a) Shade's poem.
(b) Shade's daughter.
(d) Plants and animals.
4. On what day did John Shade begin composing his poem "Pale Fire?"
(a) We are not told explicitly, only that it is during the summer.
(b) July 5th.
(c) July 4th.
(d) July 1st.
5. What does Kinbote want us to believe was the catalyst for John Shade's choice to set "Pale Fire" during the winter months?
(a) The Zemblan King's assasination in January.
(b) The great tragedy Shade has experienced during winter.
(c) Bird flying south for the winter.
(d) Shade meeting Kinbote during the previous winter.
Short Answer Questions
1. John Shade says, "There's nothing wrong with shedding a dismal past to substitute pleasing _________?"
2. Who does John Shade address in line 246 which ends "...my dear"
3. John Shade recites his poetry to one person prior to its publication. Who is that person?
4. Gradus visits Oswin Bretwit in order to find information on King Charles' location. What is Oswin Bretwit's profession?
5. Who is the previous inhabitant of Charles Kinbote's house?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)