|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, An American Ship at the Frontiers of the Solar System, Chapter 10, Sacred Black.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When probes enter the atmospheres of other planets, what color do they often see the sky to be?
2. What strange motion do all of the stars in the sky exhibit?
(a) They appear to drift towards the Earth.
(b) They change directions randomly.
(c) They tend to move towards each other.
(d) They move in identical tiny ellipses.
3. Sagan suggests that the image of the "pale blue dot" teaches the need for what?
(a) Space exploration.
(b) Science education.
4. What role does Sagan suggest that religion has played in the development of science?
(a) Religiously-minded individuals often become scientists.
(b) Religion has aided science in significant ways.
(c) Science progressed in spite of religion.
(d) Religion informs and guides scientific development.
5. What hazard threatened the Voyager craft in Sagan's plan to take a distant picture of Earth?
(a) Cosmic rays.
(b) The Sun's rays.
(c) Space dust.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the ways that Sagan says life seems to be?
2. As of 1990, how many planets did the Voyager craft explore?
3. How does Sagan characterize NASA?
4. In the analogy Sagan makes in Chapter 5 the reader is asked to imagine they are seeing Earth from what perspective?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the major unknowns that Sagan says he will address in this book?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)