|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose life is focused on in Chapter 55 as it relates to the revolution's impact?
2. What does Kamal receive from the British troops after they chase him and Umm Hanafi?
3. Who does Yasin not invite to his wedding?
4. What does Yasin complain about a lack of at his wedding celebration?
5. Which of the following things does Ahmad not do when reprimanding Yasin in Chapter 58?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Kamal's life affected by the revolution according to Chapter 55?
2. How is Ahmad's visit with Umm Maryam described in Chapter 51?
3. What is the nature of Ahmad's reprimands towards Yasin in Chapter 58?
4. What do Kamal and Umm Hanafi tell the others happened when they were chased by British troops?
5. What is the nature of Fahmy and Yasin's conversation in Chapter 41?
6. What is the nature of Iffat's visit to Ahmad's store in Chapter 60?
7. What happens when Yasin finds the maid Nur on the roof of the house?
8. Why is Fahmy stirred by politics in Chapter 48?
9. How is Umm Maryam's visit to Ahmad's store described in Chapter 35?
10. How does Kamal tell Ahmad that he wants Amina back in their house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's portrayal of domesticity in the female characters of Ahmad's household. What is telling of the changes in culture based on Amina and Khadija's differing views on domesticity?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Ahmad's dual personalities with his family and outside in public. How is the reader able to know Ahmad's true nature based on the secret fantasies he has about others in public?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Yasin and Ahmad. What parallels are present between these two characters and what is significant about these?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)