|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a black maid invite Yasin to see for the first time in Chapter 44?
2. Who does a young theology student accuse of being a spy at prayer service?
3. How does Ahmad describe himself that makes him unwilling to allow the women of his house outdoors?
4. Who do Ahmad's children decide to ask for help to get him to let Amina return?
5. How does Yasin feel when he discovers his father cheating on his mother in Chapter 39?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Fahmy stirred by politics in Chapter 48?
2. How is Yasin and Zaynab's marriage described in Chapter 46?
3. How does Khadija react when Aisha asks her for help sewing her wedding gown?
4. What is the nature of Ahmad's reprimands towards Yasin in Chapter 58?
5. How is Yasin's last meeting with his mother described?
6. What is the nature of Iffat's visit to Ahmad's store in Chapter 60?
7. How is Kamal's life affected by the revolution according to Chapter 55?
8. What do Kamal and Umm Hanafi tell the others happened when they were chased by British troops?
9. How is Amina's homecoming described after Ahmad sends her a pardon to return?
10. How does Kamal tell Ahmad that he wants Amina back in their house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of the end of the book focuses on the nature of Egyptian politics and the nationalist movement happening in 1919.
Part 1.) What is the nature of the nationalist movement in Cairo in 1919?
Part 2.) What does the reader learn about the nationalist movement from Fahmy's speeches in the book?
Part 3.) What role does the British troops' presence in the book in regards to the nationalist movement?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of martyrdom in the book, focusing on Fahmy's journey of becoming a martyr and the obstacles he overcame. What is the country's true feelings towards martyrs based on the nature of Fahmy's burial in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Early in the book, it becomes clear that there is a pointed difference in the way the men and women of Ahmad's family are treated.
Part 1.) What can we learn about the difference between men and women in Ahmad's household based on the morning rituals of each in his house?
Part 2.) What is telling about the time period of the book based on the treatment of men and women in the book?
Part 3.) What can we learn about the nature of Ahmad's character based on his treatment of men and women in the book?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)