|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the person who visits Ahmad in Chapter 36 wish for her son to marry?
2. What is the name of Yasin's new bride?
3. What does Ahmad forbid Fahmy to do in Chapter 62?
4. How does Ahmad describe himself that makes him unwilling to allow the women of his house outdoors?
5. Who does Yasin try to have sex with in Chapter 41?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fahmy react when the first martyrs start dying in the revolution?
2. How are Aisha's new surroundings described after she is married and Amina, Khadaji, and Kamal visit her?
3. How is Ahmad's visit with Umm Maryam described in Chapter 51?
4. Why does Fahmy believe British troops have set up camp across from Abd al-Jawad's doorstep?
5. What is the nature of Fahmy and Yasin's conversation in Chapter 41?
6. How is Umm Maryam's visit to Ahmad's store described in Chapter 35?
7. What happens when Yasin finds the maid Nur on the roof of the house?
8. What does Ahmad tell Khadija just before she is married?
9. What are Fahmy's views on nationalism, as described in Chapter 52?
10. How does Khadija react when Aisha asks her for help sewing her wedding gown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters Yasin and Fahmy in the book. What do these brothers consider important in life that helps define them and set them apart from each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the symbolism of author's use of religious and political figures in the book, notably Martyr al-Husayn and Sa'd Zaghlul. What tone might the author be trying to set to describe the impact these figures had on Egyptian culture?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role fate plays in the lives of Ahmad's children who refuse to argue with his rules, especially about marriage. What is telling of Aisha based on her decision to leave being married up to fate?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)