|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fahmy do after the first martyrs fall to English bullets?
2. Who does a young theology student accuse of being a spy at prayer service?
3. Where does Zaynab sleep after catching Yasin with Nur?
4. What are the prisoners that Ahmad reacts to in Chapter 53 arrested for?
5. What is the name of Khalil's brother who looks at Khadija?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Umm Maryam's visit to Ahmad's store described in Chapter 35?
2. What are Fahmy's views on nationalism, as described in Chapter 52?
3. How is Yasin and Zaynab's marriage described in Chapter 46?
4. What is the nature of Fahmy and Yasin's conversation in Chapter 41?
5. What happens when Yasin finds the maid Nur on the roof of the house?
6. What is the nature of Iffat's visit to Ahmad's store in Chapter 60?
7. How is Ahmad's visit with Umm Maryam described in Chapter 51?
8. What does Jalia confront Ahmad about when she joins the men's party during Aisha's marriage celebration?
9. How does Ahmad participate in politics according to his actions in Chapter 49?
10. What is the nature of Ahmad's reprimands towards Yasin in Chapter 58?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The subject of religion is discussed on many levels, including Amina's piety, the presence of holy figures, and talk of the Qur'an.
Part 1.) How does Amina represent pious and religious behavior in the book?
Part 2.) What purpose might the author have for including holy figures like al-Husayn and the sheikhs in the book?
Part 3.) What role does the Qur'an play in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of education in the book, especially in regards to Kamal. What impact could Fahmy's educating Kamal on his nationalist beliefs have on his own ideals later on?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters Yasin and Fahmy in the book. What do these brothers consider important in life that helps define them and set them apart from each other?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)