|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ahmad feel singled out by the preacher's call to at prayer service?
2. What does Ahmad say he does not do to his friends that take wives and daughters on outings with them?
3. Which of the following things does Ahmad not do when reprimanding Yasin in Chapter 58?
4. What has Ahmad often fantasized about the person who visits his store in Chapter 35?
5. What is Ahmad shocked to learn that Yasin does every night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kamal act towards the British troops in Chapter 64?
2. How does Khadija react when Aisha asks her for help sewing her wedding gown?
3. What are Fahmy's views on nationalism, as described in Chapter 52?
4. How does Ahmad participate in politics according to his actions in Chapter 49?
5. Why is Fahmy stirred by politics in Chapter 48?
6. How is Yasin's wedding reception described?
7. What occurs when Ahmad and his sons attend the Friday prayer service in Chapter 61?
8. How is Yasin's last meeting with his mother described?
9. How does Fahmy react when the first martyrs start dying in the revolution?
10. What does Jalia confront Ahmad about when she joins the men's party during Aisha's marriage celebration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role that superstition plays in Amina's life and the connections they have to her pious faith. What is telling of Amina's faith based on her superstitious rituals and speeches in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of education in the book, especially in regards to Kamal. What impact could Fahmy's educating Kamal on his nationalist beliefs have on his own ideals later on?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of the British troops in Cairo, notably those that Kamal and other members of Ahmad's family interacted with. What is telling about these troops' civilized nature that suggests Fahmy's ideologies may be flawed?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)