|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ahmad say Yasim is useless in when referring to him as "Haniya's son"?
2. What does Aisha show that she will obey of God and her father in Chapter 38?
3. Who does a young theology student accuse of being a spy at prayer service?
4. Who visits Ahmad's store and is flirtatious in Chapter 51?
5. Where does Kamal take refuge when strikers break down the schoolroom door at his school?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the nature of the family coffee hour in the book. What is telling of the family's fear of Ahmad based on the openness of their coffee hour discussions?
Essay Topic 2
Early in the book, it becomes clear that there is a pointed difference in the way the men and women of Ahmad's family are treated.
Part 1.) What can we learn about the difference between men and women in Ahmad's household based on the morning rituals of each in his house?
Part 2.) What is telling about the time period of the book based on the treatment of men and women in the book?
Part 3.) What can we learn about the nature of Ahmad's character based on his treatment of men and women in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's portrayal of Egyptian society in the book, and note if Ahmad fits into this portrayal or not. What clues can be found to suggest that Ahmad's household rituals are more extreme than the norm in Egypt?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)