|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ahmad say Yasim is useless in when referring to him as "Haniya's son"?
2. What does Fahmy read a letter about from the Wafd Delegation to the Sultan in protest of?
3. What is the name of Ahmad's friend that bemoans the burden of raising girls?
4. Who does Ahmad not learn about political situations from?
5. What is the name of Khalil's brother who looks at Khadija?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Umm Maryam's visit to Ahmad's store described in Chapter 35?
2. What does Ahmad tell Khadija just before she is married?
3. How does Ahmad participate in politics according to his actions in Chapter 49?
4. What is the nature of Ahmad's reprimands towards Yasin in Chapter 58?
5. Why is Fahmy stirred by politics in Chapter 48?
6. How does Khadija react when Aisha asks her for help sewing her wedding gown?
7. How is Amina's homecoming described after Ahmad sends her a pardon to return?
8. How is Yasin and Zaynab's marriage described in Chapter 46?
9. How is Kamal's life affected by the revolution according to Chapter 55?
10. How are Aisha's new surroundings described after she is married and Amina, Khadaji, and Kamal visit her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the nature of ritual in Ahmad's home. Why does Ahmad's family agree to perform the daily rituals and chores he demands of them?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role that superstition plays in Amina's life and the connections they have to her pious faith. What is telling of Amina's faith based on her superstitious rituals and speeches in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's portrayal of domesticity in the female characters of Ahmad's household. What is telling of the changes in culture based on Amina and Khadija's differing views on domesticity?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)