|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kamal find the British troops rather than demonic?
2. Who chaperones Kamal to and from school during the revolution?
3. What does Ahmad tell Yasim he must do if he can't control his wife?
4. What does Amina do after hearing about the two mediators who work on her behalf to get her back home?
5. What does Ahmad invent in order not to admit that Yasin disobeys him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ahmad's visit with Umm Maryam described in Chapter 51?
2. How are Aisha's new surroundings described after she is married and Amina, Khadaji, and Kamal visit her?
3. What is the nature of Ahmad's reprimands towards Yasin in Chapter 58?
4. How is Umm Maryam's visit to Ahmad's store described in Chapter 35?
5. What happens when Yasin finds the maid Nur on the roof of the house?
6. How does Ahmad participate in politics according to his actions in Chapter 49?
7. How is Yasin's last meeting with his mother described?
8. What does Jalia confront Ahmad about when she joins the men's party during Aisha's marriage celebration?
9. How does Fahmy react when the first martyrs start dying in the revolution?
10. What does Ahmad tell Khadija just before she is married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Yasin and Ahmad. What parallels are present between these two characters and what is significant about these?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role that superstition plays in Amina's life and the connections they have to her pious faith. What is telling of Amina's faith based on her superstitious rituals and speeches in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of the family coffee hour in the book. What is telling of the family's fear of Ahmad based on the openness of their coffee hour discussions?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)