|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is absent from coffee hour in Chapter 42?
2. Who protests the danger when Fahmy announces he is distributing a document that is illegal under martial law?
3. What does Ahmad say he does not do to his friends that take wives and daughters on outings with them?
4. Whose marriage does the Widow Shawcat arrange in Chapter 45?
5. How does Kamal find the British troops rather than demonic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Ahmad's reprimands towards Yasin in Chapter 58?
2. How is Amina's homecoming described after Ahmad sends her a pardon to return?
3. How does Fahmy react when the first martyrs start dying in the revolution?
4. How does Ahmad participate in politics according to his actions in Chapter 49?
5. How is Yasin's last meeting with his mother described?
6. What occurs when Ahmad and his sons attend the Friday prayer service in Chapter 61?
7. How is Yasin and Zaynab's marriage described in Chapter 46?
8. What happens when Yasin finds the maid Nur on the roof of the house?
9. What does Jalia confront Ahmad about when she joins the men's party during Aisha's marriage celebration?
10. How is Yasin's wedding reception described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's portrayal of Egyptian society in the book, and note if Ahmad fits into this portrayal or not. What clues can be found to suggest that Ahmad's household rituals are more extreme than the norm in Egypt?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact the revolution in Cairo had on the book's characters, namely Kamal and Fahmy. How were Fahmy and Kamal on two sides of the spectrum in terms of the revolution's impact on their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role that superstition plays in Amina's life and the connections they have to her pious faith. What is telling of Amina's faith based on her superstitious rituals and speeches in the book?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)