|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who particularly sees trouble in the actions of Yasin's new wife after they are married?
2. Who is absent from coffee hour in Chapter 42?
3. What does Fahmy read a letter about from the Wafd Delegation to the Sultan in protest of?
4. What does Yasin complain about a lack of at his wedding celebration?
5. Of what nationality is Yasin's new wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ahmad tell Khadija just before she is married?
2. What is the nature of Fahmy and Yasin's conversation in Chapter 41?
3. What do Kamal and Umm Hanafi tell the others happened when they were chased by British troops?
4. How is Umm Maryam's visit to Ahmad's store described in Chapter 35?
5. What happens when Yasin finds the maid Nur on the roof of the house?
6. What does Jalia confront Ahmad about when she joins the men's party during Aisha's marriage celebration?
7. How is Yasin and Zaynab's marriage described in Chapter 46?
8. How is Kamal's life affected by the revolution according to Chapter 55?
9. What is the nature of Ahmad's reprimands towards Yasin in Chapter 58?
10. How does Kamal act towards the British troops in Chapter 64?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's portrayal of domesticity in the female characters of Ahmad's household. What is telling of the changes in culture based on Amina and Khadija's differing views on domesticity?
Essay Topic 2
Much of the end of the book focuses on the nature of Egyptian politics and the nationalist movement happening in 1919.
Part 1.) What is the nature of the nationalist movement in Cairo in 1919?
Part 2.) What does the reader learn about the nationalist movement from Fahmy's speeches in the book?
Part 3.) What role does the British troops' presence in the book in regards to the nationalist movement?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the nature of ritual in Ahmad's home. Why does Ahmad's family agree to perform the daily rituals and chores he demands of them?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)