|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Khalil's brother who looks at Khadija?
2. Whose daughter does Ahmad announce Yasin will marry?
3. Who goes to Ahmad's store and blurts out that he wants his mother to come home?
4. What is the name of Ahmad's friend that bemoans the burden of raising girls?
5. What is Ahmad shocked to learn that Yasin does every night?
Essay Topic 1
The concept of marriage is one subject that is discussed by numerous characters throughout the book, each with his/her own ideas of what it represents.
Part 1.) How do characters like Aisha and Khadija feel about the notion of marriage?
Part 2.) What reasons does Ahmad have for not allowing his children to be married when they wish?
Part 3.) What is telling about the nature of marriage in the book based on Yasin's experience?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact the revolution in Cairo had on the book's characters, namely Kamal and Fahmy. How were Fahmy and Kamal on two sides of the spectrum in terms of the revolution's impact on their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role that superstition plays in Amina's life and the connections they have to her pious faith. What is telling of Amina's faith based on her superstitious rituals and speeches in the book?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)