|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ahmad forbid Fahmy to do in Chapter 62?
2. Who decides that the British troops are camping to intimidate and stop demonstrations?
3. What task does Aisha ask Khadija's help with in preparation for her wedding?
4. Whose marriage does the Widow Shawcat arrange in Chapter 45?
5. How does Yasin feel when he discovers his father cheating on his mother in Chapter 39?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Umm Maryam's visit to Ahmad's store described in Chapter 35?
2. What do Kamal and Umm Hanafi tell the others happened when they were chased by British troops?
3. What occurs when Ahmad and his sons attend the Friday prayer service in Chapter 61?
4. How is Kamal's life affected by the revolution according to Chapter 55?
5. What are Fahmy's views on nationalism, as described in Chapter 52?
6. How does Ahmad participate in politics according to his actions in Chapter 49?
7. What is the nature of Fahmy and Yasin's conversation in Chapter 41?
8. How is Yasin's last meeting with his mother described?
9. What is the nature of Ahmad's reprimands towards Yasin in Chapter 58?
10. How is Yasin's wedding reception described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role fate plays in the lives of Ahmad's children who refuse to argue with his rules, especially about marriage. What is telling of Aisha based on her decision to leave being married up to fate?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nature of ritual in Ahmad's home. Why does Ahmad's family agree to perform the daily rituals and chores he demands of them?
Essay Topic 3
Much of the end of the book focuses on the nature of Egyptian politics and the nationalist movement happening in 1919.
Part 1.) What is the nature of the nationalist movement in Cairo in 1919?
Part 2.) What does the reader learn about the nationalist movement from Fahmy's speeches in the book?
Part 3.) What role does the British troops' presence in the book in regards to the nationalist movement?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)