|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Yasin filled with on the day of his wedding?
2. Who goes to Ahmad's store and blurts out that he wants his mother to come home?
3. What is the name of Yasin's new bride?
4. What does Amina do after hearing about the two mediators who work on her behalf to get her back home?
5. What day does Ahmad and his sons go to prayer service in Chapter 61?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Fahmy believe British troops have set up camp across from Abd al-Jawad's doorstep?
2. What is the nature of Iffat's visit to Ahmad's store in Chapter 60?
3. How is Yasin's wedding reception described?
4. What is the nature of Ahmad's reprimands towards Yasin in Chapter 58?
5. How does Ahmad participate in politics according to his actions in Chapter 49?
6. How is Ahmad's visit with Umm Maryam described in Chapter 51?
7. How does Fahmy react when the first martyrs start dying in the revolution?
8. How is Kamal's life affected by the revolution according to Chapter 55?
9. How does Khadija react when Aisha asks her for help sewing her wedding gown?
10. How does Kamal act towards the British troops in Chapter 64?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's portrayal of domesticity in the female characters of Ahmad's household. What is telling of the changes in culture based on Amina and Khadija's differing views on domesticity?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the symbolism of author's use of religious and political figures in the book, notably Martyr al-Husayn and Sa'd Zaghlul. What tone might the author be trying to set to describe the impact these figures had on Egyptian culture?
Essay Topic 3
The underlying theme throughout the entire book has been Ahmad's tyranny over his family, with little explanation for what motivates his actions towards others.
Part 1.) What is Ahmad's nature based on his need to be a tyrant over his household?
Part 2.) How does Ahmad's tyranny parallel similar political actions going on in Egypt at the time?
Part 3.) Does Ahmad's ponderings after Fahmy's funeral suggest that he may have had a change of heart regarding his tyrannous treatment of his family?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)