|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the prisoners that Ahmad reacts to in Chapter 53 arrested for?
2. How does Yasin feel when he discovers his father cheating on his mother in Chapter 39?
3. What does Yasin complain about a lack of at his wedding celebration?
4. What does Aisha show that she will obey of God and her father in Chapter 38?
5. What is Fahmy terrified to see puddles of at al-Husayn?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fahmy react when the first martyrs start dying in the revolution?
2. What is the nature of Fahmy and Yasin's conversation in Chapter 41?
3. What is the nature of Ahmad's reprimands towards Yasin in Chapter 58?
4. Why does Fahmy believe British troops have set up camp across from Abd al-Jawad's doorstep?
5. What occurs when Ahmad and his sons attend the Friday prayer service in Chapter 61?
6. What do Kamal and Umm Hanafi tell the others happened when they were chased by British troops?
7. How does Kamal act towards the British troops in Chapter 64?
8. Why is Fahmy stirred by politics in Chapter 48?
9. How is Yasin and Zaynab's marriage described in Chapter 46?
10. How is Yasin's last meeting with his mother described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early in the book, it becomes clear that there is a pointed difference in the way the men and women of Ahmad's family are treated.
Part 1.) What can we learn about the difference between men and women in Ahmad's household based on the morning rituals of each in his house?
Part 2.) What is telling about the time period of the book based on the treatment of men and women in the book?
Part 3.) What can we learn about the nature of Ahmad's character based on his treatment of men and women in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Much of the end of the book focuses on the nature of Egyptian politics and the nationalist movement happening in 1919.
Part 1.) What is the nature of the nationalist movement in Cairo in 1919?
Part 2.) What does the reader learn about the nationalist movement from Fahmy's speeches in the book?
Part 3.) What role does the British troops' presence in the book in regards to the nationalist movement?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of submission in the book, notably through Ahmad and Amina's relationship. What might Amina feel that submitting to her husband would represent in terms of her culture and social beliefs?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)