|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zaynab threaten to do after fighting with Yasin in Chapter 57?
2. Who is discovered to have left the house at the end of Chapter 58?
3. Who particularly sees trouble in the actions of Yasin's new wife after they are married?
4. Who brings to Ahmand's shop the text of a petition to seek independence in Chapter 50?
5. Who does the person who visits Ahmad in Chapter 36 wish for her son to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Iffat's visit to Ahmad's store in Chapter 60?
2. How does Kamal act towards the British troops in Chapter 64?
3. What does Jalia confront Ahmad about when she joins the men's party during Aisha's marriage celebration?
4. How does Fahmy react when the first martyrs start dying in the revolution?
5. What occurs when Ahmad and his sons attend the Friday prayer service in Chapter 61?
6. What happens when Yasin finds the maid Nur on the roof of the house?
7. How is Kamal's life affected by the revolution according to Chapter 55?
8. How is Ahmad's visit with Umm Maryam described in Chapter 51?
9. What is the nature of Fahmy and Yasin's conversation in Chapter 41?
10. How does Kamal tell Ahmad that he wants Amina back in their house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Yasin and Ahmad. What parallels are present between these two characters and what is significant about these?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of submission in the book, notably through Ahmad and Amina's relationship. What might Amina feel that submitting to her husband would represent in terms of her culture and social beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
The subject of religion is discussed on many levels, including Amina's piety, the presence of holy figures, and talk of the Qur'an.
Part 1.) How does Amina represent pious and religious behavior in the book?
Part 2.) What purpose might the author have for including holy figures like al-Husayn and the sheikhs in the book?
Part 3.) What role does the Qur'an play in the book?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)