|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On whom does most of the household burdens fall after Amina is evicted?
2. What are the prisoners that Ahmad reacts to in Chapter 53 arrested for?
3. What is Yasin filled with on the day of his wedding?
4. Who visits Ahmad at his store at the beginning of Chapter 35?
5. Where does Kamal take refuge when strikers break down the schoolroom door at his school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of education in the book, especially in regards to Kamal. What impact could Fahmy's educating Kamal on his nationalist beliefs have on his own ideals later on?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of marriage is one subject that is discussed by numerous characters throughout the book, each with his/her own ideas of what it represents.
Part 1.) How do characters like Aisha and Khadija feel about the notion of marriage?
Part 2.) What reasons does Ahmad have for not allowing his children to be married when they wish?
Part 3.) What is telling about the nature of marriage in the book based on Yasin's experience?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role fate plays in the lives of Ahmad's children who refuse to argue with his rules, especially about marriage. What is telling of Aisha based on her decision to leave being married up to fate?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)