|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zaynab threaten to do after fighting with Yasin in Chapter 57?
2. Whose house does Yasin watch in Chapter 39?
3. Who visits Ahmad at his store at the beginning of Chapter 35?
4. Who visits Ahmad's store and is flirtatious in Chapter 51?
5. Who protests the danger when Fahmy announces he is distributing a document that is illegal under martial law?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Fahmy's views on nationalism, as described in Chapter 52?
2. What occurs when Ahmad and his sons attend the Friday prayer service in Chapter 61?
3. How is Yasin's last meeting with his mother described?
4. How does Khadija react when Aisha asks her for help sewing her wedding gown?
5. How is Umm Maryam's visit to Ahmad's store described in Chapter 35?
6. How does Kamal tell Ahmad that he wants Amina back in their house?
7. How does Fahmy react when the first martyrs start dying in the revolution?
8. How is Ahmad's visit with Umm Maryam described in Chapter 51?
9. How is Yasin's wedding reception described?
10. How does Ahmad participate in politics according to his actions in Chapter 49?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's portrayal of domesticity in the female characters of Ahmad's household. What is telling of the changes in culture based on Amina and Khadija's differing views on domesticity?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role fate plays in the lives of Ahmad's children who refuse to argue with his rules, especially about marriage. What is telling of Aisha based on her decision to leave being married up to fate?
Essay Topic 3
Early in the book, it becomes clear that there is a pointed difference in the way the men and women of Ahmad's family are treated.
Part 1.) What can we learn about the difference between men and women in Ahmad's household based on the morning rituals of each in his house?
Part 2.) What is telling about the time period of the book based on the treatment of men and women in the book?
Part 3.) What can we learn about the nature of Ahmad's character based on his treatment of men and women in the book?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)