|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kamal receive from the British troops after they chase him and Umm Hanafi?
2. How does Kamal find the British troops rather than demonic?
3. What is Ahmad shocked to learn that Yasin does every night?
4. What does Ahmad tell Yasim he must do if he can't control his wife?
5. Who decides that the British troops are camping to intimidate and stop demonstrations?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's portrayal of Egyptian society in the book, and note if Ahmad fits into this portrayal or not. What clues can be found to suggest that Ahmad's household rituals are more extreme than the norm in Egypt?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the symbolism of author's use of religious and political figures in the book, notably Martyr al-Husayn and Sa'd Zaghlul. What tone might the author be trying to set to describe the impact these figures had on Egyptian culture?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role that superstition plays in Amina's life and the connections they have to her pious faith. What is telling of Amina's faith based on her superstitious rituals and speeches in the book?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)