|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Fahmy terrified to see puddles of at al-Husayn?
2. Who visits Ahmad in Chapter 36 and gives him a verbal pounding?
3. What is Ahmad shocked to learn that Yasin does every night?
4. What are the prisoners that Ahmad reacts to in Chapter 53 arrested for?
5. Which of the following descriptions was not given to Yasin to describe him in Chapter 60?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Ahmad's reprimands towards Yasin in Chapter 58?
2. How is Ahmad's visit with Umm Maryam described in Chapter 51?
3. What occurs when Ahmad and his sons attend the Friday prayer service in Chapter 61?
4. How is Kamal's life affected by the revolution according to Chapter 55?
5. What is the nature of Fahmy and Yasin's conversation in Chapter 41?
6. How does Ahmad participate in politics according to his actions in Chapter 49?
7. How is Yasin's last meeting with his mother described?
8. How is Umm Maryam's visit to Ahmad's store described in Chapter 35?
9. How does Fahmy react when the first martyrs start dying in the revolution?
10. How does Khadija react when Aisha asks her for help sewing her wedding gown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early in the book, it becomes clear that there is a pointed difference in the way the men and women of Ahmad's family are treated.
Part 1.) What can we learn about the difference between men and women in Ahmad's household based on the morning rituals of each in his house?
Part 2.) What is telling about the time period of the book based on the treatment of men and women in the book?
Part 3.) What can we learn about the nature of Ahmad's character based on his treatment of men and women in the book?
Essay Topic 2
The subject of religion is discussed on many levels, including Amina's piety, the presence of holy figures, and talk of the Qur'an.
Part 1.) How does Amina represent pious and religious behavior in the book?
Part 2.) What purpose might the author have for including holy figures like al-Husayn and the sheikhs in the book?
Part 3.) What role does the Qur'an play in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of martyrdom in the book, focusing on Fahmy's journey of becoming a martyr and the obstacles he overcame. What is the country's true feelings towards martyrs based on the nature of Fahmy's burial in the book?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)