|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the maid with whom Yasin cheats on his wife?
2. Whose house does Yasin watch in Chapter 39?
3. Who brings to Ahmand's shop the text of a petition to seek independence in Chapter 50?
4. How does Ahmad describe himself that makes him unwilling to allow the women of his house outdoors?
5. Of what nationality is Yasin's new wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fahmy react when the first martyrs start dying in the revolution?
2. Why does Fahmy believe British troops have set up camp across from Abd al-Jawad's doorstep?
3. What is the nature of Iffat's visit to Ahmad's store in Chapter 60?
4. What occurs when Ahmad and his sons attend the Friday prayer service in Chapter 61?
5. How is Amina's homecoming described after Ahmad sends her a pardon to return?
6. How does Ahmad participate in politics according to his actions in Chapter 49?
7. How does Kamal act towards the British troops in Chapter 64?
8. What does Ahmad tell Khadija just before she is married?
9. What are Fahmy's views on nationalism, as described in Chapter 52?
10. How is Yasin and Zaynab's marriage described in Chapter 46?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The underlying theme throughout the entire book has been Ahmad's tyranny over his family, with little explanation for what motivates his actions towards others.
Part 1.) What is Ahmad's nature based on his need to be a tyrant over his household?
Part 2.) How does Ahmad's tyranny parallel similar political actions going on in Egypt at the time?
Part 3.) Does Ahmad's ponderings after Fahmy's funeral suggest that he may have had a change of heart regarding his tyrannous treatment of his family?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Yasin and Ahmad. What parallels are present between these two characters and what is significant about these?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of education in the book, especially in regards to Kamal. What impact could Fahmy's educating Kamal on his nationalist beliefs have on his own ideals later on?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)