|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yasin complain about a lack of at his wedding celebration?
2. Who goes to Ahmad's store and blurts out that he wants his mother to come home?
3. What does Aisha show that she will obey of God and her father in Chapter 38?
4. What is Fahmy terrified to see puddles of at al-Husayn?
5. What is the content of the poem that Yasin is moved by?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Yasin and Ahmad. What parallels are present between these two characters and what is significant about these?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nature of ritual in Ahmad's home. Why does Ahmad's family agree to perform the daily rituals and chores he demands of them?
Essay Topic 3
Much of the end of the book focuses on the nature of Egyptian politics and the nationalist movement happening in 1919.
Part 1.) What is the nature of the nationalist movement in Cairo in 1919?
Part 2.) What does the reader learn about the nationalist movement from Fahmy's speeches in the book?
Part 3.) What role does the British troops' presence in the book in regards to the nationalist movement?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)