|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of coops does Amina keep on her roof?
2. What is Maryam's family name?
3. What does Kamal envy about Yasin at the end of Chapter 9?
4. Who shares a dream about being pushed off a roof with her family?
5. What is the name of the neighbor girl who Fahmy watches do chores from the roof?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Amina help her husband with when he comes home drunk at midnight every night?
2. How are Ahmad's attempts at getting Zubayda to sing at a party described in Chapter 15?
3. How does Yasin remember his happy childhood ruined by a fruit merchant?
4. How does the family react when Fahmy asks Amina to arrange his marriage to Maryam?
5. What is the nature of Yasin's complaints about his mother when he visits Ahmad in Chapter 17?
6. How does Amina's sons react when they come to visit her at her mother's house just after her exile?
7. How is Aisha's beauty regimine described in the book?
8. What does Fahmy do while sitting on a roof with Kamal in Chapter 10?
9. How is Amina's mother described when she goes to stay with her during her exile?
10. How is Yasin and Amina's visit to the al-Husayn shrine described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the symbolism of author's use of religious and political figures in the book, notably Martyr al-Husayn and Sa'd Zaghlul. What tone might the author be trying to set to describe the impact these figures had on Egyptian culture?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role that superstition plays in Amina's life and the connections they have to her pious faith. What is telling of Amina's faith based on her superstitious rituals and speeches in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of submission in the book, notably through Ahmad and Amina's relationship. What might Amina feel that submitting to her husband would represent in terms of her culture and social beliefs?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)