|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason must Aisha make her confession, according to Khadija in Chapter 22?
2. What color hair does Aisha have?
3. What does Amina discover she has broken?
4. What does Yasin's mother do joyfully when he visits her for the first time in the book?
5. How does Amina react when Fahmy asks her to arrange his marriage to Maryam?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Yasin prowl for women in Chapter 12?
2. How are Kamal's "story hungry" actions described in Chapter 9?
3. How does Ahmad react to Shaykh Mutawalli's claim that he is an adulterer in Chapter 7?
4. How does Ahmad react when a matchmaker hints that Mme. Nafusa wanted to be his second wife?
5. How are Ahmad's actions at a party where he hires Zubayda to sing described?
6. How is Yasin's meeting with his mother described in Chapter 18?
7. How does Amina's sons react when they come to visit her at her mother's house just after her exile?
8. How is Kamal's visit to Maryam in Chapter 21 described?
9. What happens when Amina confesses leaving the house to visit the al-Husayn shrine to Ahmad?
10. How are the three visitors that come to Ahmad's home described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's portrayal of Egyptian society in the book, and note if Ahmad fits into this portrayal or not. What clues can be found to suggest that Ahmad's household rituals are more extreme than the norm in Egypt?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nature of ritual in Ahmad's home. Why does Ahmad's family agree to perform the daily rituals and chores he demands of them?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's portrayal of domesticity in the female characters of Ahmad's household. What is telling of the changes in culture based on Amina and Khadija's differing views on domesticity?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)