|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is jealous of Fahmy wanting to be married and points out Maryam's faults?
2. Who has been standing at her bedroom window for months yearning for a young police officer that walks by?
3. What handicap does Amina's mother have?
4. What does Amina feel transformed into when entering a mosque?
5. Who accompanies Amina to a mosque in Chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ahmad react when a matchmaker hints that Mme. Nafusa wanted to be his second wife?
2. How is Ahmad's daily ritual each morning described?
3. What is the nature of Khadija and Aisha's conversation regarding marriage in Chapter 5?
4. How is Kamal's visit to Maryam in Chapter 21 described?
5. How does the family react to Ahmad's announcement that Aisha cannot marry in Chapter 26?
6. How are Kamal's "story hungry" actions described in Chapter 9?
7. What is the nature of Yasin's complaints about his mother when he visits Ahmad in Chapter 17?
8. How are Ahmad's actions at a party where he hires Zubayda to sing described?
9. How is Amina injured on her way home from visiting the al-Husayn shrine?
10. How does Ahmad react to Fahmy's request to marry Maryam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters Yasin and Fahmy in the book. What do these brothers consider important in life that helps define them and set them apart from each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the nature of the British troops in Cairo, notably those that Kamal and other members of Ahmad's family interacted with. What is telling about these troops' civilized nature that suggests Fahmy's ideologies may be flawed?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the symbolism of author's use of religious and political figures in the book, notably Martyr al-Husayn and Sa'd Zaghlul. What tone might the author be trying to set to describe the impact these figures had on Egyptian culture?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)