Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the café that Yasin settles on in Chapter 12?
2. What about Amina's husband could not be questioned because he was male?
3. Who does Ahmad insist get married first out of his children in Chapter 5?
4. What does Ahmad say when Amina asks him about Fahmy marrying Maryam?
5. What is Maryam's family name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Amina's sons react when they come to visit her at her mother's house just after her exile?
2. How are Amina's duties on her roof described in Chapter 6?
3. How does Yasin remember his happy childhood ruined by a fruit merchant?
4. What does the doctor tell Aisha about her baby after it is born?
5. How are Ahmad's attempts at getting Zubayda to sing at a party described in Chapter 15?
6. How does Fahmy react when the first martyrs start dying in the revolution?
7. How is Ahmad's visit with Umm Maryam described in Chapter 51?
8. What is the nature of Yasin's complaints about his mother when he visits Ahmad in Chapter 17?
9. How are Aisha's new surroundings described after she is married and Amina, Khadaji, and Kamal visit her?
10. How are Ahmad's actions to those outside his household described?
Examine the author's portrayal of domesticity in the female characters of Ahmad's household. What is telling of the changes in culture based on Amina and Khadija's differing views on domesticity?
Examine the role fate plays in the lives of Ahmad's children who refuse to argue with his rules, especially about marriage. What is telling of Aisha based on her decision to leave being married up to fate?
Compare and contrast Ahmad's dual personalities with his family and outside in public. How is the reader able to know Ahmad's true nature based on the secret fantasies he has about others in public?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)