Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of worker was the man that wooed Yasin's mother and ruined his childhood?
2. Where does Yasin go to after he is shocked to see an old man from his youth in Chapter 12?
3. What profession is the man that Yasin has learned his mother will marry in Chapter 17?
4. What is the name of the widowed woman that the matchmaker says wants to become Ahmad's second wife?
5. What does Khadija demand a confession of from Aisha in addition to never watching the policeman again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Kamal and Umm Hanafi tell the others happened when they were chased by British troops?
2. Why does Fahmy believe British troops have set up camp across from Abd al-Jawad's doorstep?
3. How does Yasin prowl for women in Chapter 12?
4. How are Kamal's "story hungry" actions described in Chapter 9?
5. What occurs when Ahmad and his sons attend the Friday prayer service in Chapter 61?
6. What does Jalia confront Ahmad about when she joins the men's party during Aisha's marriage celebration?
7. What is the nature of Fahmy and Yasin's conversation in Chapter 41?
8. How does Ahmad react to Fahmy's request to marry Maryam?
9. Why does Aisha stand alone at her window each morning?
10. How is Ahmad's daily ritual each morning described?
Examine the author's portrayal of Egyptian society in the book, and note if Ahmad fits into this portrayal or not. What clues can be found to suggest that Ahmad's household rituals are more extreme than the norm in Egypt?
Compare and contrast the characters of Yasin and Ahmad. What parallels are present between these two characters and what is significant about these?
Discuss the portrayal of martyrdom in the book, focusing on Fahmy's journey of becoming a martyr and the obstacles he overcame. What is the country's true feelings towards martyrs based on the nature of Fahmy's burial in the book?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)