|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the matchmaker that visits Ahmad's store in Chapter 14?
2. What is Yasin's mother's name?
3. What does Ahmad do to Amina after she has healed from her injury?
4. What kind of store does Yasin pass by on the way to his mother's that brings painful recollections?
5. What profession is the man that Yasin has learned his mother will marry in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fahmy do while sitting on a roof with Kamal in Chapter 10?
2. How are Ahmad and Mme. Zubayda's interactions described in Chapter 14?
3. What happens to Amina after her broken collarbone has healed?
4. How does Yasin prowl for women in Chapter 12?
5. How does Amina's sons react when they come to visit her at her mother's house just after her exile?
6. How is Yasin's meeting with his mother described in Chapter 18?
7. How is Ahmad's daily ritual each morning described?
8. What is Kamal doing after leaving school in Chapter 8?
9. How does Ahmad react to Shaykh Mutawalli's claim that he is an adulterer in Chapter 7?
10. How does the family react when Fahmy asks Amina to arrange his marriage to Maryam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the nature of the British troops in Cairo, notably those that Kamal and other members of Ahmad's family interacted with. What is telling about these troops' civilized nature that suggests Fahmy's ideologies may be flawed?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of submission in the book, notably through Ahmad and Amina's relationship. What might Amina feel that submitting to her husband would represent in terms of her culture and social beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the nature of ritual in Ahmad's home. Why does Ahmad's family agree to perform the daily rituals and chores he demands of them?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)