Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the café that Yasin settles on in Chapter 12?
2. What about Amina's husband could not be questioned because he was male?
3. Who does Ahmad insist get married first out of his children in Chapter 5?
4. What does Ahmad say when Amina asks him about Fahmy marrying Maryam?
5. What is Maryam's family name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Amina's sons react when they come to visit her at her mother's house just after her exile?
2. How are Amina's duties on her roof described in Chapter 6?
3. How does Yasin remember his happy childhood ruined by a fruit merchant?
4. What does the doctor tell Aisha about her baby after it is born?
5. How are Ahmad's attempts at getting Zubayda to sing at a party described in Chapter 15?
6. How does Fahmy react when the first martyrs start dying in the revolution?
7. How is Ahmad's visit with Umm Maryam described in Chapter 51?
8. What is the nature of Yasin's complaints about his mother when he visits Ahmad in Chapter 17?
9. How are Aisha's new surroundings described after she is married and Amina, Khadaji, and Kamal visit her?
10. How are Ahmad's actions to those outside his household described?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's portrayal of Egyptian society in the book, and note if Ahmad fits into this portrayal or not. What clues can be found to suggest that Ahmad's household rituals are more extreme than the norm in Egypt?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's portrayal of domesticity in the female characters of Ahmad's household. What is telling of the changes in culture based on Amina and Khadija's differing views on domesticity?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of marriage is one subject that is discussed by numerous characters throughout the book, each with his/her own ideas of what it represents.
Part 1.) How do characters like Aisha and Khadija feel about the notion of marriage?
Part 2.) What reasons does Ahmad have for not allowing his children to be married when they wish?
Part 3.) What is telling about the nature of marriage in the book based on Yasin's experience?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)