|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ahmad insist get married first out of his children in Chapter 5?
2. What is the name of the sheikh that admonishes Ahmad for his adultery and drunkenness?
3. Who is the first character seen in Chapter 8?
4. How does Amina react when Fahmy asks her to arrange his marriage to Maryam?
5. What does Khadija demand a confession of from Aisha in addition to never watching the policeman again?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Amina injured on her way home from visiting the al-Husayn shrine?
2. How are Amina's duties on her roof described in Chapter 6?
3. How is Kamal's visit to Maryam in Chapter 21 described?
4. How does Amina's sons react when they come to visit her at her mother's house just after her exile?
5. How does Ahmad react to Shaykh Mutawalli's claim that he is an adulterer in Chapter 7?
6. How is Amina's mother described when she goes to stay with her during her exile?
7. Why does Aisha stand alone at her window each morning?
8. How does Yasin prowl for women in Chapter 12?
9. What is the nature of Khadija and Aisha's conversation regarding marriage in Chapter 5?
10. How are Ahmad's actions to those outside his household described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of marriage is one subject that is discussed by numerous characters throughout the book, each with his/her own ideas of what it represents.
Part 1.) How do characters like Aisha and Khadija feel about the notion of marriage?
Part 2.) What reasons does Ahmad have for not allowing his children to be married when they wish?
Part 3.) What is telling about the nature of marriage in the book based on Yasin's experience?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Yasin and Ahmad. What parallels are present between these two characters and what is significant about these?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of the family coffee hour in the book. What is telling of the family's fear of Ahmad based on the openness of their coffee hour discussions?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)