|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the widowed woman that the matchmaker says wants to become Ahmad's second wife?
2. Who does Amina tell Fahmy will be the one they have a hard time getting to agree on his marriage to Maryam?
3. How old is Ahmad in Chapter 14 of the book?
4. What is the relationship between Fahmy and Yasin in the book?
5. Of what are Yasin and Fahmy afraid that Ahmad is mad at them for in Chapter 30?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Amina help her husband with when he comes home drunk at midnight every night?
2. Why does Aisha stand alone at her window each morning?
3. How does Khadija react when Aisha asks her for help sewing her wedding gown?
4. Why is Fahmy stirred by politics in Chapter 48?
5. How does Ahmad react to Fahmy's request to marry Maryam?
6. How does Yasin remember his happy childhood ruined by a fruit merchant?
7. How does Yasin prowl for women in Chapter 12?
8. How is Yasin's meeting with his mother described in Chapter 18?
9. How is Amina's mother described when she goes to stay with her during her exile?
10. How does Ahmad participate in politics according to his actions in Chapter 49?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early in the book, it becomes clear that there is a pointed difference in the way the men and women of Ahmad's family are treated.
Part 1.) What can we learn about the difference between men and women in Ahmad's household based on the morning rituals of each in his house?
Part 2.) What is telling about the time period of the book based on the treatment of men and women in the book?
Part 3.) What can we learn about the nature of Ahmad's character based on his treatment of men and women in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the symbolism of author's use of religious and political figures in the book, notably Martyr al-Husayn and Sa'd Zaghlul. What tone might the author be trying to set to describe the impact these figures had on Egyptian culture?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of the family coffee hour in the book. What is telling of the family's fear of Ahmad based on the openness of their coffee hour discussions?
This section contains 1,449 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)