|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Ahmad in Chapter 3 that makes noises anger him?
2. What is Yasin's mother's name?
3. What part of Khadija do Yasin and Kamal make fun of her for?
4. Who is sent by Fahmy on a nighttime mission to Maryam's?
5. What is the relationship between Fahmy and Yasin in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the family react to Ahmad's announcement that Aisha cannot marry in Chapter 26?
2. How is Yasin's meeting with his mother described in Chapter 18?
3. How does Amina's sons react when they come to visit her at her mother's house just after her exile?
4. What is Kamal doing after leaving school in Chapter 8?
5. How are Ahmad and Mme. Zubayda's interactions described in Chapter 14?
6. How is Yasin and Amina's visit to the al-Husayn shrine described?
7. What happens to Amina after her broken collarbone has healed?
8. What happens when Amina confesses leaving the house to visit the al-Husayn shrine to Ahmad?
9. What is the nature of Yasin's complaints about his mother when he visits Ahmad in Chapter 17?
10. How does Ahmad react to Fahmy's request to marry Maryam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Yasin and Ahmad. What parallels are present between these two characters and what is significant about these?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Ahmad's dual personalities with his family and outside in public. How is the reader able to know Ahmad's true nature based on the secret fantasies he has about others in public?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of martyrdom in the book, focusing on Fahmy's journey of becoming a martyr and the obstacles he overcame. What is the country's true feelings towards martyrs based on the nature of Fahmy's burial in the book?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)