|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Fahmy and Yasin in the book?
2. Who is described as "story hungry" in Chapter 9?
3. Whose shrine does Yasin convince someone to go to in Chapter 27?
4. What does Amina feel transformed into when entering a mosque?
5. At what age was Yasin removed from his father's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the three visitors that come to Ahmad's home described?
2. How does Ahmad react to Shaykh Mutawalli's claim that he is an adulterer in Chapter 7?
3. How does Yasin prowl for women in Chapter 12?
4. What does Fahmy do while sitting on a roof with Kamal in Chapter 10?
5. What is the nature of Khadija and Aisha's conversation regarding marriage in Chapter 5?
6. What is Kamal doing after leaving school in Chapter 8?
7. How does Ahmad react to Fahmy's request to marry Maryam?
8. How are Ahmad and Mme. Zubayda's interactions described in Chapter 14?
9. Why does Aisha stand alone at her window each morning?
10. What happens when Amina confesses leaving the house to visit the al-Husayn shrine to Ahmad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role fate plays in the lives of Ahmad's children who refuse to argue with his rules, especially about marriage. What is telling of Aisha based on her decision to leave being married up to fate?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of martyrdom in the book, focusing on Fahmy's journey of becoming a martyr and the obstacles he overcame. What is the country's true feelings towards martyrs based on the nature of Fahmy's burial in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the nature of ritual in Ahmad's home. Why does Ahmad's family agree to perform the daily rituals and chores he demands of them?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)