|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first character seen in Chapter 8?
2. When does Ahmad stop agitating to enforce good order in Chapter 20?
3. Who suggests to Amina that Aisha's engagement be allowed until Khadija is married first?
4. What does Yasin tell his mother is the only way he will love her again when he visits her for the first time in the book?
5. Who does Ahmad insist get married first out of his children in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the family react to Ahmad's announcement that Aisha cannot marry in Chapter 26?
2. How does Ahmad react when a matchmaker hints that Mme. Nafusa wanted to be his second wife?
3. What is Kamal doing after leaving school in Chapter 8?
4. How is Amina injured on her way home from visiting the al-Husayn shrine?
5. How does Yasin remember his happy childhood ruined by a fruit merchant?
6. What happens when Amina confesses leaving the house to visit the al-Husayn shrine to Ahmad?
7. How is Kamal's visit to Maryam in Chapter 21 described?
8. How is Ahmad's daily ritual each morning described?
9. How is Aisha's beauty regimine described in the book?
10. How does Ahmad react to Fahmy's request to marry Maryam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Yasin and Ahmad. What parallels are present between these two characters and what is significant about these?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role fate plays in the lives of Ahmad's children who refuse to argue with his rules, especially about marriage. What is telling of Aisha based on her decision to leave being married up to fate?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of the family coffee hour in the book. What is telling of the family's fear of Ahmad based on the openness of their coffee hour discussions?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)