|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amina discover she has broken?
2. Who vows to never leave Amina after visiting her in Chapter 33?
3. Of what are Yasin and Fahmy afraid that Ahmad is mad at them for in Chapter 30?
4. What is the name of the matchmaker that visits Ahmad's store in Chapter 14?
5. What caused Ahmad to become severe with Kamal when he was a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Amina injured on her way home from visiting the al-Husayn shrine?
2. How is Amina's mother described when she goes to stay with her during her exile?
3. How does the family react when Fahmy asks Amina to arrange his marriage to Maryam?
4. How is Aisha's beauty regimine described in the book?
5. How is Kamal's visit to Maryam in Chapter 21 described?
6. How are Ahmad's actions at a party where he hires Zubayda to sing described?
7. How does the family react to Ahmad's announcement that Aisha cannot marry in Chapter 26?
8. How does Yasin remember his happy childhood ruined by a fruit merchant?
9. What does Amina help her husband with when he comes home drunk at midnight every night?
10. How are Ahmad's attempts at getting Zubayda to sing at a party described in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's portrayal of Egyptian society in the book, and note if Ahmad fits into this portrayal or not. What clues can be found to suggest that Ahmad's household rituals are more extreme than the norm in Egypt?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters Yasin and Fahmy in the book. What do these brothers consider important in life that helps define them and set them apart from each other?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of the family coffee hour in the book. What is telling of the family's fear of Ahmad based on the openness of their coffee hour discussions?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)