|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the café that Yasin settles on in Chapter 12?
2. Who is sent by Fahmy on a nighttime mission to Maryam's?
3. What handicap does Amina's mother have?
4. What does Amina feel opening as she pleads with Ahmad about Aisha's marriage in Chapter 25?
5. Where does pain course through Amina after she is injured leaving a mosque?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Aisha's beauty regimine described in the book?
2. How are Ahmad and Mme. Zubayda's interactions described in Chapter 14?
3. What is the nature of Khadija and Aisha's conversation regarding marriage in Chapter 5?
4. How are the three visitors that come to Ahmad's home described?
5. How are Ahmad's attempts at getting Zubayda to sing at a party described in Chapter 15?
6. How are Ahmad's actions to those outside his household described?
7. How is Yasin and Amina's visit to the al-Husayn shrine described?
8. How are Amina's duties on her roof described in Chapter 6?
9. What does Amina help her husband with when he comes home drunk at midnight every night?
10. What happens when Amina confesses leaving the house to visit the al-Husayn shrine to Ahmad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of the end of the book focuses on the nature of Egyptian politics and the nationalist movement happening in 1919.
Part 1.) What is the nature of the nationalist movement in Cairo in 1919?
Part 2.) What does the reader learn about the nationalist movement from Fahmy's speeches in the book?
Part 3.) What role does the British troops' presence in the book in regards to the nationalist movement?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact the revolution in Cairo had on the book's characters, namely Kamal and Fahmy. How were Fahmy and Kamal on two sides of the spectrum in terms of the revolution's impact on their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the nature of ritual in Ahmad's home. Why does Ahmad's family agree to perform the daily rituals and chores he demands of them?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)