|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Amina tell Fahmy will be the one they have a hard time getting to agree on his marriage to Maryam?
2. Where does Yasin go to after he is shocked to see an old man from his youth in Chapter 12?
3. What color hair does Aisha have?
4. What kind of coops does Amina keep on her roof?
5. What is Maryam's family name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ahmad react to Fahmy's request to marry Maryam?
2. How does Yasin remember his happy childhood ruined by a fruit merchant?
3. How are the three visitors that come to Ahmad's home described?
4. What occurs when Ahmad and his sons attend the Friday prayer service in Chapter 61?
5. Why is Amina's attitude not patriotic enough after Zaghul's release?
6. How does Ahmad participate in politics according to his actions in Chapter 49?
7. How are Ahmad's attempts at getting Zubayda to sing at a party described in Chapter 15?
8. Why does Fahmy believe British troops have set up camp across from Abd al-Jawad's doorstep?
9. What happens to Amina after her broken collarbone has healed?
10. How does Ahmad react to Shaykh Mutawalli's claim that he is an adulterer in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The underlying theme throughout the entire book has been Ahmad's tyranny over his family, with little explanation for what motivates his actions towards others.
Part 1.) What is Ahmad's nature based on his need to be a tyrant over his household?
Part 2.) How does Ahmad's tyranny parallel similar political actions going on in Egypt at the time?
Part 3.) Does Ahmad's ponderings after Fahmy's funeral suggest that he may have had a change of heart regarding his tyrannous treatment of his family?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's portrayal of Egyptian society in the book, and note if Ahmad fits into this portrayal or not. What clues can be found to suggest that Ahmad's household rituals are more extreme than the norm in Egypt?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of the family coffee hour in the book. What is telling of the family's fear of Ahmad based on the openness of their coffee hour discussions?
This section contains 1,442 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)