|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of eyes does Amina say Ahmad had that made her confess how she really was injured?
2. What does Amina ask God to forgive her husband for when she helps wash him after he gets home?
3. Which of the following is not one of Ahmad's morning rituals?
4. What is the name of the sheikh that admonishes Ahmad for his adultery and drunkenness?
5. What is on a provocative poster that Kamal looks at along with the shrine of al-Husayn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Ahmad's reprimands towards Yasin in Chapter 58?
2. How is Aisha's beauty regimine described in the book?
3. Why is Amina's attitude not patriotic enough after Zaghul's release?
4. How is Yasin's last meeting with his mother described?
5. What happens to Amina after her broken collarbone has healed?
6. How does Fahmy react when the first martyrs start dying in the revolution?
7. How is Kamal's life affected by the revolution according to Chapter 55?
8. How are Ahmad's actions to those outside his household described?
9. Why is Fahmy stirred by politics in Chapter 48?
10. How are Kamal's "story hungry" actions described in Chapter 9?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's portrayal of domesticity in the female characters of Ahmad's household. What is telling of the changes in culture based on Amina and Khadija's differing views on domesticity?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's portrayal of Egyptian society in the book, and note if Ahmad fits into this portrayal or not. What clues can be found to suggest that Ahmad's household rituals are more extreme than the norm in Egypt?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the nature of ritual in Ahmad's home. Why does Ahmad's family agree to perform the daily rituals and chores he demands of them?
This section contains 1,411 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)