|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Amina react when Fahmy asks her to arrange his marriage to Maryam?
2. What about Amina's husband could not be questioned because he was male?
3. What is the mock profession Ahmad's friends put on before leaving him in Chapter 16?
4. What kind of coops does Amina keep on her roof?
5. How old is Ahmad in Chapter 14 of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ahmad react when a matchmaker hints that Mme. Nafusa wanted to be his second wife?
2. How are Ahmad and Mme. Zubayda's interactions described in Chapter 14?
3. What is the nature of Khadija and Aisha's conversation regarding marriage in Chapter 5?
4. Why does Aisha stand alone at her window each morning?
5. What does Fahmy do while sitting on a roof with Kamal in Chapter 10?
6. How is Amina's mother described when she goes to stay with her during her exile?
7. How is Amina injured on her way home from visiting the al-Husayn shrine?
8. What does Amina help her husband with when he comes home drunk at midnight every night?
9. How are Ahmad's actions to those outside his household described?
10. How does Amina's sons react when they come to visit her at her mother's house just after her exile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The underlying theme throughout the entire book has been Ahmad's tyranny over his family, with little explanation for what motivates his actions towards others.
Part 1.) What is Ahmad's nature based on his need to be a tyrant over his household?
Part 2.) How does Ahmad's tyranny parallel similar political actions going on in Egypt at the time?
Part 3.) Does Ahmad's ponderings after Fahmy's funeral suggest that he may have had a change of heart regarding his tyrannous treatment of his family?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact the revolution in Cairo had on the book's characters, namely Kamal and Fahmy. How were Fahmy and Kamal on two sides of the spectrum in terms of the revolution's impact on their lives?
Essay Topic 3
The subject of religion is discussed on many levels, including Amina's piety, the presence of holy figures, and talk of the Qur'an.
Part 1.) How does Amina represent pious and religious behavior in the book?
Part 2.) What purpose might the author have for including holy figures like al-Husayn and the sheikhs in the book?
Part 3.) What role does the Qur'an play in the book?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)