|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color hair does Aisha have?
2. Who suggests that Amina tell Ahmad that she fell down the stairs to explain her broken bone?
3. What is the name of the café that Yasin settles on in Chapter 12?
4. What is Ahmad's assistant waiting to hear recited by a sheikh in Chapter 7?
5. Where does Yasin go to after he is shocked to see an old man from his youth in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Yasin and Amina's visit to the al-Husayn shrine described?
2. How does Ahmad react when a matchmaker hints that Mme. Nafusa wanted to be his second wife?
3. How is Yasin's meeting with his mother described in Chapter 18?
4. What happens to Amina after her broken collarbone has healed?
5. How is Amina's mother described when she goes to stay with her during her exile?
6. How does Yasin remember his happy childhood ruined by a fruit merchant?
7. How are Ahmad's attempts at getting Zubayda to sing at a party described in Chapter 15?
8. How does Amina's sons react when they come to visit her at her mother's house just after her exile?
9. How does Ahmad react to Shaykh Mutawalli's claim that he is an adulterer in Chapter 7?
10. How are Ahmad and Mme. Zubayda's interactions described in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of education in the book, especially in regards to Kamal. What impact could Fahmy's educating Kamal on his nationalist beliefs have on his own ideals later on?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of martyrdom in the book, focusing on Fahmy's journey of becoming a martyr and the obstacles he overcame. What is the country's true feelings towards martyrs based on the nature of Fahmy's burial in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the impact the revolution in Cairo had on the book's characters, namely Kamal and Fahmy. How were Fahmy and Kamal on two sides of the spectrum in terms of the revolution's impact on their lives?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)