Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the café that Yasin settles on in Chapter 12?
2. What about Amina's husband could not be questioned because he was male?
3. Who does Ahmad insist get married first out of his children in Chapter 5?
4. What does Ahmad say when Amina asks him about Fahmy marrying Maryam?
5. What is Maryam's family name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Amina's sons react when they come to visit her at her mother's house just after her exile?
2. How are Amina's duties on her roof described in Chapter 6?
3. How does Yasin remember his happy childhood ruined by a fruit merchant?
4. What does the doctor tell Aisha about her baby after it is born?
5. How are Ahmad's attempts at getting Zubayda to sing at a party described in Chapter 15?
6. How does Fahmy react when the first martyrs start dying in the revolution?
7. How is Ahmad's visit with Umm Maryam described in Chapter 51?
8. What is the nature of Yasin's complaints about his mother when he visits Ahmad in Chapter 17?
9. How are Aisha's new surroundings described after she is married and Amina, Khadaji, and Kamal visit her?
10. How are Ahmad's actions to those outside his household described?
Essay Topic 1
Much of the end of the book focuses on the nature of Egyptian politics and the nationalist movement happening in 1919.
Part 1.) What is the nature of the nationalist movement in Cairo in 1919?
Part 2.) What does the reader learn about the nationalist movement from Fahmy's speeches in the book?
Part 3.) What role does the British troops' presence in the book in regards to the nationalist movement?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Yasin and Ahmad. What parallels are present between these two characters and what is significant about these?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of the British troops in Cairo, notably those that Kamal and other members of Ahmad's family interacted with. What is telling about these troops' civilized nature that suggests Fahmy's ideologies may be flawed?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)