|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Khadija do Yasin and Kamal make fun of her for?
2. What does Khadija demand a confession of from Aisha in addition to never watching the policeman again?
3. What does Amina feel transformed into when entering a mosque?
4. What instrument does Ahmad play expertly?
5. Who has been standing at her bedroom window for months yearning for a young police officer that walks by?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Khadija and Aisha's conversation regarding marriage in Chapter 5?
2. How are Ahmad and Mme. Zubayda's interactions described in Chapter 14?
3. What happens to Amina after her broken collarbone has healed?
4. How does Ahmad react to Fahmy's request to marry Maryam?
5. How is Amina injured on her way home from visiting the al-Husayn shrine?
6. How does Yasin prowl for women in Chapter 12?
7. What happens when Amina confesses leaving the house to visit the al-Husayn shrine to Ahmad?
8. How are Amina's duties on her roof described in Chapter 6?
9. Why does Aisha stand alone at her window each morning?
10. How are Kamal's "story hungry" actions described in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of submission in the book, notably through Ahmad and Amina's relationship. What might Amina feel that submitting to her husband would represent in terms of her culture and social beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role fate plays in the lives of Ahmad's children who refuse to argue with his rules, especially about marriage. What is telling of Aisha based on her decision to leave being married up to fate?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of marriage is one subject that is discussed by numerous characters throughout the book, each with his/her own ideas of what it represents.
Part 1.) How do characters like Aisha and Khadija feel about the notion of marriage?
Part 2.) What reasons does Ahmad have for not allowing his children to be married when they wish?
Part 3.) What is telling about the nature of marriage in the book based on Yasin's experience?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)