Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the café that Yasin settles on in Chapter 12?
2. What about Amina's husband could not be questioned because he was male?
3. Who does Ahmad insist get married first out of his children in Chapter 5?
4. What does Ahmad say when Amina asks him about Fahmy marrying Maryam?
5. What is Maryam's family name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Amina's sons react when they come to visit her at her mother's house just after her exile?
2. How are Amina's duties on her roof described in Chapter 6?
3. How does Yasin remember his happy childhood ruined by a fruit merchant?
4. What does the doctor tell Aisha about her baby after it is born?
5. How are Ahmad's attempts at getting Zubayda to sing at a party described in Chapter 15?
6. How does Fahmy react when the first martyrs start dying in the revolution?
7. How is Ahmad's visit with Umm Maryam described in Chapter 51?
8. What is the nature of Yasin's complaints about his mother when he visits Ahmad in Chapter 17?
9. How are Aisha's new surroundings described after she is married and Amina, Khadaji, and Kamal visit her?
10. How are Ahmad's actions to those outside his household described?
Examine the role that superstition plays in Amina's life and the connections they have to her pious faith. What is telling of Amina's faith based on her superstitious rituals and speeches in the book?
The underlying theme throughout the entire book has been Ahmad's tyranny over his family, with little explanation for what motivates his actions towards others.
Part 1.) What is Ahmad's nature based on his need to be a tyrant over his household?
Part 2.) How does Ahmad's tyranny parallel similar political actions going on in Egypt at the time?
Part 3.) Does Ahmad's ponderings after Fahmy's funeral suggest that he may have had a change of heart regarding his tyrannous treatment of his family?
Discuss the portrayal of martyrdom in the book, focusing on Fahmy's journey of becoming a martyr and the obstacles he overcame. What is the country's true feelings towards martyrs based on the nature of Fahmy's burial in the book?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)