|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Maryam's family name?
2. When does Ahmad stop agitating to enforce good order in Chapter 20?
3. Where does pain course through Amina after she is injured leaving a mosque?
4. What is the name of the gathering that all of Ahmad's family has at sunset except for him?
5. What does Yasin say he can no longer pretend regarding his mother when he visits Ahmad in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Yasin prowl for women in Chapter 12?
2. How are Ahmad's actions at a party where he hires Zubayda to sing described?
3. How does the family react when Fahmy asks Amina to arrange his marriage to Maryam?
4. How is Kamal's visit to Maryam in Chapter 21 described?
5. What happens to Amina after her broken collarbone has healed?
6. How does the family react to Ahmad's announcement that Aisha cannot marry in Chapter 26?
7. Why does Aisha stand alone at her window each morning?
8. How is Amina's mother described when she goes to stay with her during her exile?
9. How does Ahmad react when a matchmaker hints that Mme. Nafusa wanted to be his second wife?
10. How are Amina's duties on her roof described in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The underlying theme throughout the entire book has been Ahmad's tyranny over his family, with little explanation for what motivates his actions towards others.
Part 1.) What is Ahmad's nature based on his need to be a tyrant over his household?
Part 2.) How does Ahmad's tyranny parallel similar political actions going on in Egypt at the time?
Part 3.) Does Ahmad's ponderings after Fahmy's funeral suggest that he may have had a change of heart regarding his tyrannous treatment of his family?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role fate plays in the lives of Ahmad's children who refuse to argue with his rules, especially about marriage. What is telling of Aisha based on her decision to leave being married up to fate?
Essay Topic 3
The subject of religion is discussed on many levels, including Amina's piety, the presence of holy figures, and talk of the Qur'an.
Part 1.) How does Amina represent pious and religious behavior in the book?
Part 2.) What purpose might the author have for including holy figures like al-Husayn and the sheikhs in the book?
Part 3.) What role does the Qur'an play in the book?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)