|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests to Amina that Aisha's engagement be allowed until Khadija is married first?
2. What is the name of Amina's servant that helps her knead dough?
3. How does Amina react when Fahmy asks her to arrange his marriage to Maryam?
4. Who does Amina tell Fahmy will be the one they have a hard time getting to agree on his marriage to Maryam?
5. What does Khadija catch Aisha doing in Chapter 22 that explains her reasons for doting on her appearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ahmad react to Fahmy's request to marry Maryam?
2. How is Yasin and Amina's visit to the al-Husayn shrine described?
3. How is Aisha's beauty regimine described in the book?
4. What does Fahmy do while sitting on a roof with Kamal in Chapter 10?
5. How does Ahmad react to Shaykh Mutawalli's claim that he is an adulterer in Chapter 7?
6. How does Yasin remember his happy childhood ruined by a fruit merchant?
7. How is Amina injured on her way home from visiting the al-Husayn shrine?
8. What does Amina help her husband with when he comes home drunk at midnight every night?
9. How is Yasin's meeting with his mother described in Chapter 18?
10. Why does Aisha stand alone at her window each morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact the revolution in Cairo had on the book's characters, namely Kamal and Fahmy. How were Fahmy and Kamal on two sides of the spectrum in terms of the revolution's impact on their lives?
Essay Topic 2
The underlying theme throughout the entire book has been Ahmad's tyranny over his family, with little explanation for what motivates his actions towards others.
Part 1.) What is Ahmad's nature based on his need to be a tyrant over his household?
Part 2.) How does Ahmad's tyranny parallel similar political actions going on in Egypt at the time?
Part 3.) Does Ahmad's ponderings after Fahmy's funeral suggest that he may have had a change of heart regarding his tyrannous treatment of his family?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ahmad's dual personalities with his family and outside in public. How is the reader able to know Ahmad's true nature based on the secret fantasies he has about others in public?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)