|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Amina react when Fahmy asks her to arrange his marriage to Maryam?
2. Of what are Yasin and Fahmy afraid that Ahmad is mad at them for in Chapter 30?
3. What is the name of the gathering that all of Ahmad's family has at sunset except for him?
4. Where does Kamal see a bus heading at the end of Chapter 8?
5. What is the name of the haughty and flirtatious woman who comes to Ahmad's store after the matchmaker?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Kamal's "story hungry" actions described in Chapter 9?
2. What does Amina help her husband with when he comes home drunk at midnight every night?
3. How are Amina's duties on her roof described in Chapter 6?
4. How is Amina injured on her way home from visiting the al-Husayn shrine?
5. How does the family react when Fahmy asks Amina to arrange his marriage to Maryam?
6. How is Yasin and Amina's visit to the al-Husayn shrine described?
7. What does Fahmy do while sitting on a roof with Kamal in Chapter 10?
8. How is Yasin's meeting with his mother described in Chapter 18?
9. How is Aisha's beauty regimine described in the book?
10. How are Ahmad and Mme. Zubayda's interactions described in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early in the book, it becomes clear that there is a pointed difference in the way the men and women of Ahmad's family are treated.
Part 1.) What can we learn about the difference between men and women in Ahmad's household based on the morning rituals of each in his house?
Part 2.) What is telling about the time period of the book based on the treatment of men and women in the book?
Part 3.) What can we learn about the nature of Ahmad's character based on his treatment of men and women in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Much of the end of the book focuses on the nature of Egyptian politics and the nationalist movement happening in 1919.
Part 1.) What is the nature of the nationalist movement in Cairo in 1919?
Part 2.) What does the reader learn about the nationalist movement from Fahmy's speeches in the book?
Part 3.) What role does the British troops' presence in the book in regards to the nationalist movement?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role that superstition plays in Amina's life and the connections they have to her pious faith. What is telling of Amina's faith based on her superstitious rituals and speeches in the book?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)