|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amina discover she has broken?
2. What is the only part of love to which Ahmad responds?
3. What kind of worker was the man that wooed Yasin's mother and ruined his childhood?
4. Where does Yasin go to after he is shocked to see an old man from his youth in Chapter 12?
5. What instrument does Ahmad play expertly?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the three visitors that come to Ahmad's home described?
2. What happens to Amina after her broken collarbone has healed?
3. How are Kamal's "story hungry" actions described in Chapter 9?
4. How does Amina's sons react when they come to visit her at her mother's house just after her exile?
5. How are Ahmad and Mme. Zubayda's interactions described in Chapter 14?
6. How does Ahmad react when a matchmaker hints that Mme. Nafusa wanted to be his second wife?
7. How is Kamal's visit to Maryam in Chapter 21 described?
8. How is Aisha's beauty regimine described in the book?
9. What is the nature of Yasin's complaints about his mother when he visits Ahmad in Chapter 17?
10. How does the family react to Ahmad's announcement that Aisha cannot marry in Chapter 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of the end of the book focuses on the nature of Egyptian politics and the nationalist movement happening in 1919.
Part 1.) What is the nature of the nationalist movement in Cairo in 1919?
Part 2.) What does the reader learn about the nationalist movement from Fahmy's speeches in the book?
Part 3.) What role does the British troops' presence in the book in regards to the nationalist movement?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nature of ritual in Ahmad's home. Why does Ahmad's family agree to perform the daily rituals and chores he demands of them?
Essay Topic 3
The subject of religion is discussed on many levels, including Amina's piety, the presence of holy figures, and talk of the Qur'an.
Part 1.) How does Amina represent pious and religious behavior in the book?
Part 2.) What purpose might the author have for including holy figures like al-Husayn and the sheikhs in the book?
Part 3.) What role does the Qur'an play in the book?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)