|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanies Amina to a mosque in Chapter 27?
2. What color hair does Aisha have?
3. Who does Ahmad insist get married first out of his children in Chapter 5?
4. How old is Ahmad in Chapter 14 of the book?
5. What does Amina ask God to forgive her husband for when she helps wash him after he gets home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ahmad react to Fahmy's request to marry Maryam?
2. How is Kamal's visit to Maryam in Chapter 21 described?
3. How is Amina's mother described when she goes to stay with her during her exile?
4. How are Ahmad's actions to those outside his household described?
5. What happens to Amina after her broken collarbone has healed?
6. How is Yasin and Amina's visit to the al-Husayn shrine described?
7. How are Kamal's "story hungry" actions described in Chapter 9?
8. How is Yasin's meeting with his mother described in Chapter 18?
9. How are Amina's duties on her roof described in Chapter 6?
10. How does Amina's sons react when they come to visit her at her mother's house just after her exile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The underlying theme throughout the entire book has been Ahmad's tyranny over his family, with little explanation for what motivates his actions towards others.
Part 1.) What is Ahmad's nature based on his need to be a tyrant over his household?
Part 2.) How does Ahmad's tyranny parallel similar political actions going on in Egypt at the time?
Part 3.) Does Ahmad's ponderings after Fahmy's funeral suggest that he may have had a change of heart regarding his tyrannous treatment of his family?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Yasin and Ahmad. What parallels are present between these two characters and what is significant about these?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of the British troops in Cairo, notably those that Kamal and other members of Ahmad's family interacted with. What is telling about these troops' civilized nature that suggests Fahmy's ideologies may be flawed?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)