|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fahmy tell Amina that he will do before getting married to Maryam?
2. What does Ahmad apply just before leaving the house with his sons each day?
3. What is on a provocative poster that Kamal looks at along with the shrine of al-Husayn?
4. What caused Ahmad to become severe with Kamal when he was a child?
5. What title does Ahmad hold at the party he throws in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aisha stand alone at her window each morning?
2. How is Aisha's beauty regimine described in the book?
3. How does Ahmad react to Fahmy's request to marry Maryam?
4. How does Yasin prowl for women in Chapter 12?
5. What happens to Amina after her broken collarbone has healed?
6. How does Yasin remember his happy childhood ruined by a fruit merchant?
7. How are Kamal's "story hungry" actions described in Chapter 9?
8. How is Yasin and Amina's visit to the al-Husayn shrine described?
9. How is Kamal's visit to Maryam in Chapter 21 described?
10. How does Ahmad react when a matchmaker hints that Mme. Nafusa wanted to be his second wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the nature of ritual in Ahmad's home. Why does Ahmad's family agree to perform the daily rituals and chores he demands of them?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's portrayal of Egyptian society in the book, and note if Ahmad fits into this portrayal or not. What clues can be found to suggest that Ahmad's household rituals are more extreme than the norm in Egypt?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role fate plays in the lives of Ahmad's children who refuse to argue with his rules, especially about marriage. What is telling of Aisha based on her decision to leave being married up to fate?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)