|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests to Amina that Aisha's engagement be allowed until Khadija is married first?
2. What is the name of the gathering that all of Ahmad's family has at sunset except for him?
3. What is the name of Zubayda's rival in her profession?
4. What is Maryam's family name?
5. What is Yasin's mother's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Amina after her broken collarbone has healed?
2. How does Yasin prowl for women in Chapter 12?
3. How are Ahmad and Mme. Zubayda's interactions described in Chapter 14?
4. How is Yasin and Amina's visit to the al-Husayn shrine described?
5. What is the nature of Khadija and Aisha's conversation regarding marriage in Chapter 5?
6. How are Ahmad's actions at a party where he hires Zubayda to sing described?
7. How does Amina's sons react when they come to visit her at her mother's house just after her exile?
8. How is Kamal's visit to Maryam in Chapter 21 described?
9. What is Kamal doing after leaving school in Chapter 8?
10. How does Ahmad react when a matchmaker hints that Mme. Nafusa wanted to be his second wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the nature of the family coffee hour in the book. What is telling of the family's fear of Ahmad based on the openness of their coffee hour discussions?
Essay Topic 2
Early in the book, it becomes clear that there is a pointed difference in the way the men and women of Ahmad's family are treated.
Part 1.) What can we learn about the difference between men and women in Ahmad's household based on the morning rituals of each in his house?
Part 2.) What is telling about the time period of the book based on the treatment of men and women in the book?
Part 3.) What can we learn about the nature of Ahmad's character based on his treatment of men and women in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of education in the book, especially in regards to Kamal. What impact could Fahmy's educating Kamal on his nationalist beliefs have on his own ideals later on?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)