|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is jealous of Fahmy wanting to be married and points out Maryam's faults?
2. Who is named second in command of the house while Amina rests from her injury?
3. What is the name of the café that Yasin settles on in Chapter 12?
4. What title does Ahmad hold at the party he throws in Chapter 16?
5. What profession is the man that Yasin has learned his mother will marry in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Yasin's complaints about his mother when he visits Ahmad in Chapter 17?
2. How is Amina injured on her way home from visiting the al-Husayn shrine?
3. How is Yasin's meeting with his mother described in Chapter 18?
4. How is Yasin and Amina's visit to the al-Husayn shrine described?
5. How are the three visitors that come to Ahmad's home described?
6. Why does Fahmy believe British troops have set up camp across from Abd al-Jawad's doorstep?
7. What is Kamal doing after leaving school in Chapter 8?
8. What does Amina help her husband with when he comes home drunk at midnight every night?
9. How are Ahmad's attempts at getting Zubayda to sing at a party described in Chapter 15?
10. What happens when Amina confesses leaving the house to visit the al-Husayn shrine to Ahmad?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of submission in the book, notably through Ahmad and Amina's relationship. What might Amina feel that submitting to her husband would represent in terms of her culture and social beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact the revolution in Cairo had on the book's characters, namely Kamal and Fahmy. How were Fahmy and Kamal on two sides of the spectrum in terms of the revolution's impact on their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of martyrdom in the book, focusing on Fahmy's journey of becoming a martyr and the obstacles he overcame. What is the country's true feelings towards martyrs based on the nature of Fahmy's burial in the book?
This section contains 1,480 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)