|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ahmad feel singled out by the preacher's call to at prayer service?
(b) Preaching to others.
2. Whose marriage does the Widow Shawcat arrange in Chapter 45?
(a) Ibrahim and Khadija's.
(b) Yasin and Haniya's.
(c) Fahmy and Maryam's.
(d) Aisha and Hasan's.
3. What does Aisha show that she will obey of God and her father in Chapter 38?
(a) The higher will.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
4. What does Amina wish to do for Khadija after growing concerned about her in Chapter 38?
(a) Read her fortune.
(b) Read to her.
(c) Brush her hair.
(d) Take her to church.
5. Where does Kamal take refuge when strikers break down the schoolroom door at his school?
(a) Costaki's Bar.
(b) Palace Walk.
(c) Uncle Hamdan's store.
(d) Ali's Coffee Shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies in Chapter 63?
2. What does the author say Fahmy is obsessed with in Chapter 52?
3. Who visits Ahmad in Chapter 36 and gives him a verbal pounding?
4. Whose daughter does Ahmad announce Yasin will marry?
5. Who does Yasin try to have sex with in Chapter 41?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ahmad participate in politics according to his actions in Chapter 49?
2. What is the nature of Fahmy and Yasin's conversation in Chapter 41?
3. How are Aisha's new surroundings described after she is married and Amina, Khadaji, and Kamal visit her?
4. What are Fahmy's views on nationalism, as described in Chapter 52?
5. How is Yasin and Zaynab's marriage described in Chapter 46?
6. How is Ahmad's visit with Umm Maryam described in Chapter 51?
7. Why does Fahmy believe British troops have set up camp across from Abd al-Jawad's doorstep?
8. How is Yasin's wedding reception described?
9. What occurs when Ahmad and his sons attend the Friday prayer service in Chapter 61?
10. What does Jalia confront Ahmad about when she joins the men's party during Aisha's marriage celebration?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)