|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yasin's mother do joyfully when he visits her for the first time in the book?
2. What kind of coops does Amina keep on her roof?
(a) Pigeon and chicken.
(c) Doves and ducks.
3. What does Ahmad say when Amina asks him about Fahmy marrying Maryam?
(a) Agrees but with doubts.
(b) Agrees wholeheartedly.
(c) Angrily dismisses the idea.
(d) Says no, but may reconsider.
4. Where does Kamal see a bus heading at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Palace Walk.
(b) New Street.
(c) Sugar Street.
(d) Coppersmith Street.
5. Who is named second in command of the house while Amina rests from her injury?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Ahmad in Chapter 14 of the book?
2. What is the name of the neighbor girl who Fahmy watches do chores from the roof?
3. What is the name of the café that Yasin settles on in Chapter 12?
4. What is the name of the girl that is the foster daughter of the singer Zubayda?
5. Where does pain course through Amina after she is injured leaving a mosque?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Kamal's "story hungry" actions described in Chapter 9?
2. How is Yasin and Amina's visit to the al-Husayn shrine described?
3. How does Khadija react when Aisha asks her for help sewing her wedding gown?
4. How is Amina's mother described when she goes to stay with her during her exile?
5. How is Amina injured on her way home from visiting the al-Husayn shrine?
6. How are Ahmad's actions at a party where he hires Zubayda to sing described?
7. How does the family react to Ahmad's announcement that Aisha cannot marry in Chapter 26?
8. How does Amina's sons react when they come to visit her at her mother's house just after her exile?
9. How does Ahmad react to Fahmy's request to marry Maryam?
10. How are Ahmad and Mme. Zubayda's interactions described in Chapter 14?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)