|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the girl that is the foster daughter of the singer Zubayda?
2. What does Amina feel opening as she pleads with Ahmad about Aisha's marriage in Chapter 25?
(a) A black hole.
(b) A bottomless pit.
(c) The trash.
(d) Hell's gates.
3. What is the relationship between Fahmy and Yasin in the book?
(a) Father and son.
4. What is Ahmad's assistant waiting to hear recited by a sheikh in Chapter 7?
(a) The Qur'an.
(b) The daily rules.
(c) The news.
(d) Their horoscopes.
5. Of what are Yasin and Fahmy afraid that Ahmad is mad at them for in Chapter 30?
(a) For lying to him.
(b) For allowing Amina to leave the house.
(c) For drinking the night before.
(d) For getting engaged.
Short Answer Questions
1. What war does Fahmy talk about with his family members in Chapter 9?
2. What is on a provocative poster that Kamal looks at along with the shrine of al-Husayn?
3. What does Ahmad say when Amina asks him about Fahmy marrying Maryam?
4. What kind of coops does Amina keep on her roof?
5. How old is Ahmad in Chapter 14 of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ahmad react to Fahmy's request to marry Maryam?
2. What happens to Amina after her broken collarbone has healed?
3. How are the three visitors that come to Ahmad's home described?
4. How does Amina's sons react when they come to visit her at her mother's house just after her exile?
5. How are Ahmad's actions at a party where he hires Zubayda to sing described?
6. How does the family react when Fahmy asks Amina to arrange his marriage to Maryam?
7. How is Aisha's beauty regimine described in the book?
8. How is Ahmad's daily ritual each morning described?
9. What is the nature of Khadija and Aisha's conversation regarding marriage in Chapter 5?
10. What is Kamal doing after leaving school in Chapter 8?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)