|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years has Amina been married to her husband?
(a) 30 years.
(b) 25 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 10 years.
2. What is the name of the matchmaker that visits Ahmad's store in Chapter 14?
(a) Umm Hanafi.
(c) Umm Ali.
(d) Umm Maryam.
3. Who accompanies Amina to a mosque in Chapter 27?
4. Where does Yasin go to after he is shocked to see an old man from his youth in Chapter 12?
(a) Sugar Street.
(b) Goldsmith's Bazaar.
(c) Costaki's Bar.
(d) Ali's Coffee Shop.
5. Who does Ahmad insist get married first out of his children in Chapter 5?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Amina tell Fahmy will be the one they have a hard time getting to agree on his marriage to Maryam?
2. What is Maryam's family name?
3. What title does Ahmad hold at the party he throws in Chapter 16?
4. What kind of worker was the man that wooed Yasin's mother and ruined his childhood?
5. Who are quarreling when Amina tells them she is leaving the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Ahmad's actions at a party where he hires Zubayda to sing described?
2. What does Amina help her husband with when he comes home drunk at midnight every night?
3. Why does Aisha stand alone at her window each morning?
4. What are Fahmy's views on nationalism, as described in Chapter 52?
5. How is Yasin's last meeting with his mother described?
6. Why does Fahmy believe British troops have set up camp across from Abd al-Jawad's doorstep?
7. What is the nature of Iffat's visit to Ahmad's store in Chapter 60?
8. How does Khadija react when Aisha asks her for help sewing her wedding gown?
9. What is the nature of Ahmad's reprimands towards Yasin in Chapter 58?
10. How are the three visitors that come to Ahmad's home described?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)