|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following things are women not doing inside the mosque in Chapter 27?
(a) Looking at the tombs.
(b) Lighting candles.
(d) Touching the walls.
2. What handicap does Amina's mother have?
(a) She is deaf.
(b) She is blind.
(c) She can't walk.
(d) She has one arm.
3. What is the relationship between Fahmy and Yasin in the book?
(c) Father and son.
4. What is Maryam's family name?
5. How does Amina react when Fahmy asks her to arrange his marriage to Maryam?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is named second in command of the house while Amina rests from her injury?
2. Who is described as the more beautiful of Amina's daughters?
3. What does Amina feel transformed into when entering a mosque?
4. What is the name of the girl that is the foster daughter of the singer Zubayda?
5. What is the name of the sheikh that admonishes Ahmad for his adultery and drunkenness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ahmad tell Khadija just before she is married?
2. What happens to Amina after her broken collarbone has healed?
3. How is Yasin and Amina's visit to the al-Husayn shrine described?
4. How is Kamal's life affected by the revolution according to Chapter 55?
5. How are Ahmad's actions to those outside his household described?
6. How does Kamal tell Ahmad that he wants Amina back in their house?
7. How is Kamal's visit to Maryam in Chapter 21 described?
8. Why does Fahmy believe British troops have set up camp across from Abd al-Jawad's doorstep?
9. What happens when Ahmad is arrested in Chapter 65?
10. What occurs when Ahmad and his sons attend the Friday prayer service in Chapter 61?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)