|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yasin reject regarding his mother's justification about her life?
(a) That she was unlucky.
(b) That she was poor.
(c) That she was innocent.
(d) That she was uneducated.
2. At what time does Amina have to wait up on her husband every night?
(a) 10:00 p.m.
(b) 1:00 a.m.
(d) 11:00 p.m.
3. Who is named second in command of the house while Amina rests from her injury?
4. What title does Ahmad hold at the party he throws in Chapter 16?
(a) Leader of the pack.
(b) The man of the hour.
(c) The bridegroom.
(d) The man.
5. What is the name of the matchmaker that visits Ahmad's store in Chapter 14?
(a) Umm Hanafi.
(c) Umm Maryam.
(d) Umm Ali.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Ahmad stop agitating to enforce good order in Chapter 20?
2. Who is the first character seen in Chapter 8?
3. What is Yasin on the prowl for in Chapter 12?
4. What is the name of the girl that is the foster daughter of the singer Zubayda?
5. Where does Amina go after leaving Ahmad's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Ahmad's attempts at getting Zubayda to sing at a party described in Chapter 15?
2. How is Yasin and Amina's visit to the al-Husayn shrine described?
3. How does Yasin remember his happy childhood ruined by a fruit merchant?
4. How are Ahmad's actions at a party where he hires Zubayda to sing described?
5. What happens to Amina after her broken collarbone has healed?
6. How is Kamal's visit to Maryam in Chapter 21 described?
7. How does Yasin prowl for women in Chapter 12?
8. What does Fahmy do while sitting on a roof with Kamal in Chapter 10?
9. How are the three visitors that come to Ahmad's home described?
10. How are Ahmad's actions to those outside his household described?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)