|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the girl that is the foster daughter of the singer Zubayda?
2. Who is sent by Fahmy on a nighttime mission to Maryam's?
3. Where does Kamal see a bus heading at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Palace Walk.
(b) Sugar Street.
(c) New Street.
(d) Coppersmith Street.
4. Who are quarreling when Amina tells them she is leaving the house?
(a) Khadija and Aisha.
(b) Kamal and Fahmy.
(c) Khadija and Kamal.
(d) Yasin and Aisha.
5. What does Amina discover she has broken?
(a) Her collarbone.
(b) Her neck.
(c) Her arm.
(d) Her leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time does Amina have to wait up on her husband every night?
2. What war does Fahmy talk about with his family members in Chapter 9?
3. What is Yasin on the prowl for in Chapter 12?
4. What does Fahmy tell Amina that he will do before getting married to Maryam?
5. Who vows to never leave Amina after visiting her in Chapter 33?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fahmy do while sitting on a roof with Kamal in Chapter 10?
2. How are Ahmad's attempts at getting Zubayda to sing at a party described in Chapter 15?
3. What does Amina help her husband with when he comes home drunk at midnight every night?
4. How are Ahmad's actions at a party where he hires Zubayda to sing described?
5. How does Amina's sons react when they come to visit her at her mother's house just after her exile?
6. How does the family react when Fahmy asks Amina to arrange his marriage to Maryam?
7. How does Ahmad react when a matchmaker hints that Mme. Nafusa wanted to be his second wife?
8. How are Ahmad's actions to those outside his household described?
9. Why does Aisha stand alone at her window each morning?
10. How does Yasin remember his happy childhood ruined by a fruit merchant?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)