|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Amina feel transformed into when entering a mosque?
(a) Pure spirit.
(b) Heaven bound.
(c) Something sweeter.
(d) A saint.
2. What does Ahmad do to Amina after she has healed from her injury?
(a) Makes love to her.
(b) Takes her shopping.
(c) Beats her.
(d) Evicts her.
3. What does Yasin say he can no longer pretend regarding his mother when he visits Ahmad in Chapter 17?
(a) That he hates her.
(b) That she isn't dead.
(c) That she doesn't exist.
(d) That he loves her.
4. What about Amina's husband could not be questioned because he was male?
(a) His work.
(b) His rules.
(c) His feelings.
(d) His activities.
5. What does Amina discover she has broken?
(a) Her neck.
(b) Her leg.
(c) Her arm.
(d) Her collarbone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amina feel opening as she pleads with Ahmad about Aisha's marriage in Chapter 25?
2. What does Yasin's mother do joyfully when he visits her for the first time in the book?
3. What is the name of the café that Yasin settles on in Chapter 12?
4. What does Ahmad apply just before leaving the house with his sons each day?
5. What does Kamal envy about Yasin at the end of Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Yasin prowl for women in Chapter 12?
2. How is Amina injured on her way home from visiting the al-Husayn shrine?
3. How are the three visitors that come to Ahmad's home described?
4. How does Amina's sons react when they come to visit her at her mother's house just after her exile?
5. How are Ahmad's actions to those outside his household described?
6. How is Yasin and Amina's visit to the al-Husayn shrine described?
7. How is Aisha's beauty regimine described in the book?
8. How are Amina's duties on her roof described in Chapter 6?
9. What does Amina help her husband with when he comes home drunk at midnight every night?
10. What happens when Amina confesses leaving the house to visit the al-Husayn shrine to Ahmad?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)