|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the widowed woman that the matchmaker says wants to become Ahmad's second wife?
2. What is the name of the girl that is the foster daughter of the singer Zubayda?
3. What is Yasin on the prowl for in Chapter 12?
4. What is on a provocative poster that Kamal looks at along with the shrine of al-Husayn?
5. What does Ahmad say when Amina asks him about Fahmy marrying Maryam?
(a) Angrily dismisses the idea.
(b) Agrees but with doubts.
(c) Agrees wholeheartedly.
(d) Says no, but may reconsider.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kamal see a bus heading at the end of Chapter 8?
2. What does Yasin tell his mother is the only way he will love her again when he visits her for the first time in the book?
3. What does Yasin say he can no longer pretend regarding his mother when he visits Ahmad in Chapter 17?
4. What kind of coops does Amina keep on her roof?
5. What does Kamal envy about Yasin at the end of Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Aisha's beauty regimine described in the book?
2. How does Ahmad react to Shaykh Mutawalli's claim that he is an adulterer in Chapter 7?
3. How is Yasin and Amina's visit to the al-Husayn shrine described?
4. How is Kamal's visit to Maryam in Chapter 21 described?
5. How is Amina injured on her way home from visiting the al-Husayn shrine?
6. How are Ahmad and Mme. Zubayda's interactions described in Chapter 14?
7. How are Ahmad's actions at a party where he hires Zubayda to sing described?
8. How is Yasin's meeting with his mother described in Chapter 18?
9. How does Ahmad react when a matchmaker hints that Mme. Nafusa wanted to be his second wife?
10. How are the three visitors that come to Ahmad's home described?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)