|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is described as the more beautiful of Amina's daughters?
2. What is the name of Ahmad's assistant?
3. Where does Kamal see a bus heading at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Coppersmith Street.
(b) New Street.
(c) Palace Walk.
(d) Sugar Street.
4. What is Ahmad's assistant waiting to hear recited by a sheikh in Chapter 7?
(a) The Qur'an.
(b) The news.
(c) Their horoscopes.
(d) The daily rules.
5. What kind of coops does Amina keep on her roof?
(a) Doves and ducks.
(c) Pigeon and chicken.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the police officer Aisha likes?
2. What does Yasin reject regarding his mother's justification about her life?
3. What instrument does Ahmad play expertly?
4. What does Khadija catch Aisha doing in Chapter 22 that explains her reasons for doting on her appearance?
5. What kind of worker was the man that wooed Yasin's mother and ruined his childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Kamal's visit to Maryam in Chapter 21 described?
2. How does Amina's sons react when they come to visit her at her mother's house just after her exile?
3. How is Yasin and Amina's visit to the al-Husayn shrine described?
4. How does Yasin remember his happy childhood ruined by a fruit merchant?
5. How does the family react to Ahmad's announcement that Aisha cannot marry in Chapter 26?
6. What is Kamal doing after leaving school in Chapter 8?
7. How are Kamal's "story hungry" actions described in Chapter 9?
8. How does Ahmad react to Fahmy's request to marry Maryam?
9. How is Yasin's meeting with his mother described in Chapter 18?
10. What does Amina help her husband with when he comes home drunk at midnight every night?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)