|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What war does Fahmy talk about with his family members in Chapter 9?
(a) The European War.
(b) The Spanish War.
(d) The African War.
2. What is the name of the café that Yasin settles on in Chapter 12?
(a) Ahmad's Coffee Shop.
(b) Ali's Coffee Shop.
(c) Ezbekiya Garden.
(d) Goldsmith's Bazaar.
3. What does Ahmad apply just before leaving the house with his sons each day?
(a) Hair gel.
(b) A coat.
4. What kind of worker was the man that wooed Yasin's mother and ruined his childhood?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A cook.
(c) A servant.
(d) A fruit merchant.
5. Who accompanies Amina to a mosque in Chapter 27?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ahmad insist get married first out of his children in Chapter 5?
2. Where does pain course through Amina after she is injured leaving a mosque?
3. What title does Ahmad hold at the party he throws in Chapter 16?
4. What part of Khadija do Yasin and Kamal make fun of her for?
5. Who does Amina tell Fahmy will be the one they have a hard time getting to agree on his marriage to Maryam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fahmy do while sitting on a roof with Kamal in Chapter 10?
2. What happens when Amina confesses leaving the house to visit the al-Husayn shrine to Ahmad?
3. How is Yasin and Amina's visit to the al-Husayn shrine described?
4. How is Aisha's beauty regimine described in the book?
5. How are Ahmad and Mme. Zubayda's interactions described in Chapter 14?
6. What is Kamal doing after leaving school in Chapter 8?
7. How are Kamal's "story hungry" actions described in Chapter 9?
8. What is the nature of Yasin's complaints about his mother when he visits Ahmad in Chapter 17?
9. What does Amina help her husband with when he comes home drunk at midnight every night?
10. How is Ahmad's daily ritual each morning described?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)