|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Yasin not do to forget his mother in Chapter 13?
(a) Worries about his inheritance.
(b) Gets drunk.
(c) Pines for Maryam.
(d) Curses his fate.
2. Where does Yasin go to after he is shocked to see an old man from his youth in Chapter 12?
(a) Costaki's Bar.
(b) Ali's Coffee Shop.
(c) Goldsmith's Bazaar.
(d) Sugar Street.
3. What is Amina's husband's name?
4. What color hair does Aisha have?
5. How does Amina's mother describe her grandfather and father to suggest why evil cannot befall her?
(a) Good men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests to Amina that Aisha's engagement be allowed until Khadija is married first?
2. Who has been standing at her bedroom window for months yearning for a young police officer that walks by?
3. What instrument does Ahmad play expertly?
4. Who is jealous of Fahmy wanting to be married and points out Maryam's faults?
5. Who does Amina tell Fahmy will be the one they have a hard time getting to agree on his marriage to Maryam?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Yasin's meeting with his mother described in Chapter 18?
2. How are Ahmad's attempts at getting Zubayda to sing at a party described in Chapter 15?
3. How does Ahmad react to Fahmy's request to marry Maryam?
4. How is Amina's mother described when she goes to stay with her during her exile?
5. What is the nature of Yasin's complaints about his mother when he visits Ahmad in Chapter 17?
6. How does Yasin prowl for women in Chapter 12?
7. How are Amina's duties on her roof described in Chapter 6?
8. How does the family react to Ahmad's announcement that Aisha cannot marry in Chapter 26?
9. How are the three visitors that come to Ahmad's home described?
10. How are Ahmad and Mme. Zubayda's interactions described in Chapter 14?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)