|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is wrong with Ahmad in Chapter 3 that makes noises anger him?
(a) His eye is hurt.
(b) He has a fever.
(c) He broke his foot.
(d) He is hung over.
2. How does Amina react when Fahmy asks her to arrange his marriage to Maryam?
3. What is the name of the matchmaker that visits Ahmad's store in Chapter 14?
(a) Umm Maryam.
(b) Umm Hanafi.
(d) Umm Ali.
4. Which of the following does Yasin not do to forget his mother in Chapter 13?
(a) Curses his fate.
(b) Pines for Maryam.
(c) Gets drunk.
(d) Worries about his inheritance.
5. Who vows to never leave Amina after visiting her in Chapter 33?
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Ahmad to become severe with Kamal when he was a child?
2. Where does Kamal see a bus heading at the end of Chapter 8?
3. What grazes Amina after leaving a mosque that causes her injury?
4. Who is jealous of Fahmy wanting to be married and points out Maryam's faults?
5. What is Maryam's family name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ahmad's daily ritual each morning described?
2. What happens when Amina confesses leaving the house to visit the al-Husayn shrine to Ahmad?
3. How are the three visitors that come to Ahmad's home described?
4. How are Kamal's "story hungry" actions described in Chapter 9?
5. How is Kamal's visit to Maryam in Chapter 21 described?
6. How is Aisha's beauty regimine described in the book?
7. How does Ahmad react when a matchmaker hints that Mme. Nafusa wanted to be his second wife?
8. How does the family react to Ahmad's announcement that Aisha cannot marry in Chapter 26?
9. What does Amina help her husband with when he comes home drunk at midnight every night?
10. How does Ahmad react to Shaykh Mutawalli's claim that he is an adulterer in Chapter 7?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)