|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Zubayda's rival in her profession?
2. What kind of eyes does Amina say Ahmad had that made her confess how she really was injured?
3. What does Yasin call his mother before angrily leaving her in Chapter 18?
(a) A monster.
(b) A thief.
(c) A criminal.
(d) A liar.
4. Where does pain course through Amina after she is injured leaving a mosque?
(a) Her shoulder.
(b) Her stomach.
(c) Her head.
(d) Her leg.
5. What kind of store does Yasin pass by on the way to his mother's that brings painful recollections?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kamal envy about Yasin at the end of Chapter 9?
2. What is the name of the matchmaker that visits Ahmad's store in Chapter 14?
3. How does Amina react when Fahmy asks her to arrange his marriage to Maryam?
4. What is Maryam's family name?
5. What handicap does Amina's mother have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aisha stand alone at her window each morning?
2. How are Ahmad's actions at a party where he hires Zubayda to sing described?
3. How are Kamal's "story hungry" actions described in Chapter 9?
4. How is Kamal's visit to Maryam in Chapter 21 described?
5. How is Yasin and Amina's visit to the al-Husayn shrine described?
6. What is the nature of Khadija and Aisha's conversation regarding marriage in Chapter 5?
7. What does Amina help her husband with when he comes home drunk at midnight every night?
8. What happens to Amina after her broken collarbone has healed?
9. What does Fahmy do while sitting on a roof with Kamal in Chapter 10?
10. How does Amina's sons react when they come to visit her at her mother's house just after her exile?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)