|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who brings to Ahmand's shop the text of a petition to seek independence in Chapter 50?
2. What does Ahmad congratulate himself for not doing like Yasin when reprimanding him in Chapter 58?
(a) Wallowing in mud.
(d) Hurting others.
3. What is the content of the poem that Yasin is moved by?
(c) Women's demonstrations.
4. Who is discovered to have left the house at the end of Chapter 58?
5. Who does a young theology student accuse of being a spy at prayer service?
6. What is the name of Yasin's new bride?
7. What is the name of Khalil's brother who looks at Khadija?
8. What does Ahmad say he does not do to his friends that take wives and daughters on outings with them?
(a) Agree with them.
(b) Hate them.
(c) Love them.
(d) Judge them.
9. What does Amina wish to do for Khadija after growing concerned about her in Chapter 38?
(a) Read to her.
(b) Take her to church.
(c) Read her fortune.
(d) Brush her hair.
10. What does Fahmy read a letter about from the Wafd Delegation to the Sultan in protest of?
(a) British denial of Egypt's rights.
(b) Egyptian revolutions.
11. Where does Kamal take refuge when strikers break down the schoolroom door at his school?
(a) Costaki's Bar.
(b) Ali's Coffee Shop.
(c) Palace Walk.
(d) Uncle Hamdan's store.
12. What does Yasim complain to Fahmy about his marriage in Chapter 48?
(a) His wife is mean.
(b) He is bored.
(c) He hates being confined.
(d) His wife is ugly.
13. Whose marriage does the Widow Shawcat arrange in Chapter 45?
(a) Aisha and Hasan's.
(b) Fahmy and Maryam's.
(c) Ibrahim and Khadija's.
(d) Yasin and Haniya's.
14. Who does Yasin not invite to his wedding?
(a) His mother.
(d) His father.
15. Who visits Ahmad in Chapter 36 and gives him a verbal pounding?
(a) Umm Hanafi.
(b) Umm Nafusa.
(d) Widow Shawkat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following descriptions was not given to Yasin to describe him in Chapter 60?
2. Where does Zaynab sleep after catching Yasin with Nur?
3. What does the author say Fahmy is obsessed with in Chapter 52?
4. What does Aisha show that she will obey of God and her father in Chapter 38?
5. Who do Ahmad's children decide to ask for help to get him to let Amina return?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)