|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ahmad say he does not do to his friends that take wives and daughters on outings with them?
(a) Hate them.
(b) Judge them.
(c) Agree with them.
(d) Love them.
2. Who is absent from coffee hour in Chapter 42?
3. Which of the following things does not happen in the revolution that makes Fahmy's spirits soar?
(a) Mass demonstrations.
(d) Campus uproars.
4. Who chaperones Kamal to and from school during the revolution?
(a) Umm Hanafi.
5. How does Yasim's mother look when he tells her he loves her?
6. What is Yasin filled with on the day of his wedding?
(a) Relief and dread.
(b) Happiness and dread.
(c) Happiness and thankfulness.
(d) Dread and regret.
7. What does Ahmad tell Yasim he must do if he can't control his wife?
(a) Divorce her.
(b) Beat her.
(c) Leave the house.
(d) Move to another city.
8. What are the prisoners that Ahmad reacts to in Chapter 53 arrested for?
(c) Imposition of martial law.
(d) Reading the Qu'ran.
9. What country does Kamal find on a map when picturing the exile's steadfast behavior?
10. What is the name of Yasin's new bride?
11. What does a black maid invite Yasin to see for the first time in Chapter 44?
(a) His new house.
(b) His wedding presents.
(c) His honeymoon suite.
(d) His bride.
12. Who visits Ahmad at his store at the beginning of Chapter 35?
(a) Umm Hanafi.
(d) Umm Maryam.
13. Which of the following things does Ahmad not do when reprimanding Yasin in Chapter 58?
(a) Insults him.
(b) Calls him a disgrace and defiler of his home.
(c) Hits him.
(d) Is silent.
14. Who goes to Ahmad's store and blurts out that he wants his mother to come home?
(d) Umm Hanafi.
15. What does Kamal receive from the British troops after they chase him and Umm Hanafi?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kamal become a regular at with the British troops in Chapter 64?
2. What does the author say Fahmy is obsessed with in Chapter 52?
3. What does Ahmad say Yasim is useless in when referring to him as "Haniya's son"?
4. What does Amina wish to do for Khadija after growing concerned about her in Chapter 38?
5. What is the name of Ahmad's friend that bemoans the burden of raising girls?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)