|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who protests the danger when Fahmy announces he is distributing a document that is illegal under martial law?
2. Which of the following things does Ahmad not do when reprimanding Yasin in Chapter 58?
(a) Insults him.
(b) Calls him a disgrace and defiler of his home.
(c) Is silent.
(d) Hits him.
3. What are the prisoners that Ahmad reacts to in Chapter 53 arrested for?
(a) Imposition of martial law.
(d) Reading the Qu'ran.
4. Who does Yasin try to have sex with in Chapter 41?
(c) Umm Hanafi.
5. Who does the person who visits Ahmad in Chapter 36 wish for her son to marry?
6. What does Yasim complain to Fahmy about his marriage in Chapter 48?
(a) He hates being confined.
(b) His wife is ugly.
(c) He is bored.
(d) His wife is mean.
7. Who visits Ahmad in Chapter 36 and gives him a verbal pounding?
(a) Umm Nafusa.
(c) Widow Shawkat.
(d) Umm Hanafi.
8. What task does Aisha ask Khadija's help with in preparation for her wedding?
(a) Making bed sheets.
(b) Fixing her hair.
(c) Doing her makeup.
(d) Sewing the wedding gown.
9. Who does a young theology student accuse of being a spy at prayer service?
10. What does Amina wish to do for Khadija after growing concerned about her in Chapter 38?
(a) Take her to church.
(b) Brush her hair.
(c) Read her fortune.
(d) Read to her.
11. What does Ahmad forbid Fahmy to do in Chapter 62?
(a) Get married.
(b) Go to school.
(c) Get a job.
(d) Be politically involved.
12. What is Kamal doing in a circle of soldiers in Chapter 59?
13. How does Aisha dress when Amina, Khadija, and Kamal visit her in her new home after being married?
14. What does Ahmad invent in order not to admit that Yasin disobeys him?
15. What does Kamal accept from Khalil although he resents him in Chapter 43?
(b) A drink.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Yasin feel when he discovers his father cheating on his mother in Chapter 39?
2. Whose house does Yasin watch in Chapter 39?
3. Who particularly sees trouble in the actions of Yasin's new wife after they are married?
4. On whom does most of the household burdens fall after Amina is evicted?
5. What does Amina's mother believe should have happened when her sons bring her a pardon to return home?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)