|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first character seen in Chapter 8?
2. Whose shrine does Yasin convince someone to go to in Chapter 27?
(c) Shakyh Mutawalli's.
3. What does Amina feel opening as she pleads with Ahmad about Aisha's marriage in Chapter 25?
(a) A black hole.
(b) A bottomless pit.
(c) The trash.
(d) Hell's gates.
4. Who are quarreling when Amina tells them she is leaving the house?
(a) Khadija and Aisha.
(b) Yasin and Aisha.
(c) Kamal and Fahmy.
(d) Khadija and Kamal.
5. Of what are Yasin and Fahmy afraid that Ahmad is mad at them for in Chapter 30?
(a) For drinking the night before.
(b) For allowing Amina to leave the house.
(c) For getting engaged.
(d) For lying to him.
6. How does Amina feel after she starts supervising the household from bed?
7. What is the name of the police officer Aisha likes?
(d) Hasan Ibrahim.
8. What is the name of the sheikh that admonishes Ahmad for his adultery and drunkenness?
9. Which of the following is not one of Ahmad's morning rituals?
(a) Awaits breakfast with his sons.
10. What war does Fahmy talk about with his family members in Chapter 9?
(b) The Spanish War.
(c) The African War.
(d) The European War.
11. What does Yasin tell his mother is the only way he will love her again when he visits her for the first time in the book?
(b) Give him money.
(c) Drop her wedding plans.
(d) Meet him in secret.
12. Where does Amina go after leaving Ahmad's home?
(a) Ezbekiya Garden.
(b) Goldsmith's Bazaar.
(c) Her childhood home.
(d) Palace Walk.
13. Who suggests to Amina that Aisha's engagement be allowed until Khadija is married first?
14. When does Ahmad stop agitating to enforce good order in Chapter 20?
(a) His afternoon drink.
(b) When he visits the bar.
(c) Daily chores.
(d) Afternoon prayers.
15. What grazes Amina after leaving a mosque that causes her injury?
(a) A horse.
(b) A bomb.
(c) A car.
(d) A bullet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ahmad apply just before leaving the house with his sons each day?
2. What is the name of the neighbor girl who Fahmy watches do chores from the roof?
3. What does Amina feel transformed into when entering a mosque?
4. What does Ahmad say when Amina asks him about Fahmy marrying Maryam?
5. Who has been standing at her bedroom window for months yearning for a young police officer that walks by?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)