|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Amina feel transformed into when entering a mosque?
(a) A saint.
(b) Something sweeter.
(c) Heaven bound.
(d) Pure spirit.
2. Where does pain course through Amina after she is injured leaving a mosque?
(a) Her leg.
(b) Her stomach.
(c) Her head.
(d) Her shoulder.
3. What does Yasin tell his mother is the only way he will love her again when he visits her for the first time in the book?
(a) Give him money.
(c) Meet him in secret.
(d) Drop her wedding plans.
4. How does Amina feel after she starts supervising the household from bed?
5. What instrument does Ahmad play expertly?
(b) A guitar.
(c) A drum.
(d) A violin.
6. Who is described as the more beautiful of Amina's daughters?
7. What is the name of the sheikh that admonishes Ahmad for his adultery and drunkenness?
8. Which of the following does Yasin not do to forget his mother in Chapter 13?
(a) Pines for Maryam.
(b) Curses his fate.
(c) Gets drunk.
(d) Worries about his inheritance.
9. What is on a provocative poster that Kamal looks at along with the shrine of al-Husayn?
10. What is Amina's husband's name?
11. Who is jealous of Fahmy wanting to be married and points out Maryam's faults?
12. Where does Kamal see a bus heading at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Coppersmith Street.
(b) Palace Walk.
(c) Sugar Street.
(d) New Street.
13. What does Yasin reject regarding his mother's justification about her life?
(a) That she was uneducated.
(b) That she was unlucky.
(c) That she was innocent.
(d) That she was poor.
14. What is the name of the neighbor girl who Fahmy watches do chores from the roof?
15. What does Khadija catch Aisha doing in Chapter 22 that explains her reasons for doting on her appearance?
(a) Brushing her hair.
(c) Practicing in the mirror.
(d) Looking at the street.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what are Yasin and Fahmy afraid that Ahmad is mad at them for in Chapter 30?
2. What does Yasin say he can no longer pretend regarding his mother when he visits Ahmad in Chapter 17?
3. Who is sent by Fahmy on a nighttime mission to Maryam's?
4. What color hair does Aisha have?
5. Which of the following is not one of Ahmad's morning rituals?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)