|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the widowed woman that the matchmaker says wants to become Ahmad's second wife?
2. What kind of eyes does Amina say Ahmad had that made her confess how she really was injured?
3. What kind of worker was the man that wooed Yasin's mother and ruined his childhood?
(a) A cook.
(b) A fruit merchant.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A servant.
4. Which of the following things are women not doing inside the mosque in Chapter 27?
(b) Touching the walls.
(c) Lighting candles.
(d) Looking at the tombs.
5. Who is named second in command of the house while Amina rests from her injury?
6. What does Yasin say he can no longer pretend regarding his mother when he visits Ahmad in Chapter 17?
(a) That he loves her.
(b) That he hates her.
(c) That she doesn't exist.
(d) That she isn't dead.
7. What is the name of the sheikh that admonishes Ahmad for his adultery and drunkenness?
8. What about Amina's husband could not be questioned because he was male?
(a) His work.
(b) His feelings.
(c) His activities.
(d) His rules.
9. What is wrong with Ahmad in Chapter 3 that makes noises anger him?
(a) He broke his foot.
(b) He has a fever.
(c) His eye is hurt.
(d) He is hung over.
10. Who suggests to Amina that Aisha's engagement be allowed until Khadija is married first?
11. When does Ahmad stop agitating to enforce good order in Chapter 20?
(a) His afternoon drink.
(b) Afternoon prayers.
(c) When he visits the bar.
(d) Daily chores.
12. What caused Ahmad to become severe with Kamal when he was a child?
(a) He went to town alone.
(b) He lost his watch.
(c) His circumcision.
(d) He ran away.
13. What is Maryam's family name?
14. How does Amina react when Fahmy asks her to arrange his marriage to Maryam?
15. Of what are Yasin and Fahmy afraid that Ahmad is mad at them for in Chapter 30?
(a) For lying to him.
(b) For drinking the night before.
(c) For getting engaged.
(d) For allowing Amina to leave the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on a provocative poster that Kamal looks at along with the shrine of al-Husayn?
2. What does Amina discover she has broken?
3. What war does Fahmy talk about with his family members in Chapter 9?
4. What kind of store does Yasin pass by on the way to his mother's that brings painful recollections?
5. Who suggests that Amina tell Ahmad that she fell down the stairs to explain her broken bone?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)