|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of coops does Amina keep on her roof?
(a) Doves and ducks.
(d) Pigeon and chicken.
2. What is the name of the matchmaker that visits Ahmad's store in Chapter 14?
(a) Umm Maryam.
(b) Umm Ali.
(c) Umm Hanafi.
3. What war does Fahmy talk about with his family members in Chapter 9?
(a) The Spanish War.
(b) The African War.
(d) The European War.
4. Who is the first character seen in Chapter 8?
5. What does Amina see as her sign of dedication for her husband?
(a) Her vigils.
(c) Having children.
6. What is the name of the widowed woman that the matchmaker says wants to become Ahmad's second wife?
7. How many years has Amina been married to her husband?
(a) 25 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 30 years.
(d) 10 years.
8. Who does Ahmad insist get married first out of his children in Chapter 5?
9. Who is jealous of Fahmy wanting to be married and points out Maryam's faults?
10. Where does Yasin go to after he is shocked to see an old man from his youth in Chapter 12?
(a) Ali's Coffee Shop.
(b) Costaki's Bar.
(c) Sugar Street.
(d) Goldsmith's Bazaar.
11. Where does pain course through Amina after she is injured leaving a mosque?
(a) Her shoulder.
(b) Her leg.
(c) Her stomach.
(d) Her head.
12. What does Fahmy tell Amina that he will do before getting married to Maryam?
(a) Graduate from school.
(b) Graduate and get a job.
(c) Buy a house.
(d) Buy a ring.
13. What does Ahmad apply just before leaving the house with his sons each day?
(a) A coat.
(c) Hair gel.
14. How does Amina's mother describe her grandfather and father to suggest why evil cannot befall her?
(d) Good men.
15. What does Kamal envy about Yasin at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) His happiness.
(b) His freedom.
(c) His knowledge.
(d) His passion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of worker was the man that wooed Yasin's mother and ruined his childhood?
2. Who shares a dream about being pushed off a roof with her family?
3. Where does Chapter 7 take place?
4. What is the mock profession Ahmad's friends put on before leaving him in Chapter 16?
5. What is the only part of love to which Ahmad responds?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)