|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Amina react when Fahmy asks her to arrange his marriage to Maryam?
2. Where does Chapter 7 take place?
(a) Ezbekiya Garden.
(b) Ahmad's home.
(c) Ahmad's store.
(d) New Street.
3. Who is the first character seen in Chapter 8?
4. What does Yasin say he can no longer pretend regarding his mother when he visits Ahmad in Chapter 17?
(a) That he hates her.
(b) That she isn't dead.
(c) That he loves her.
(d) That she doesn't exist.
5. What does Amina see as her sign of dedication for her husband?
(b) Her vigils.
(d) Having children.
6. When does Ahmad stop agitating to enforce good order in Chapter 20?
(a) When he visits the bar.
(b) Afternoon prayers.
(c) His afternoon drink.
(d) Daily chores.
7. Who accompanies Amina to a mosque in Chapter 27?
8. What is the name of the matchmaker that visits Ahmad's store in Chapter 14?
(a) Umm Ali.
(b) Umm Hanafi.
(c) Umm Maryam.
9. For what reason must Aisha make her confession, according to Khadija in Chapter 22?
(a) Amina's feelings.
(b) Her feelings.
(c) The family's honor.
(d) Ahmad's honor.
10. What does Yasin tell his mother is the only way he will love her again when he visits her for the first time in the book?
(a) Give him money.
(b) Meet him in secret.
(d) Drop her wedding plans.
11. What instrument does Ahmad play expertly?
(b) A violin.
(c) A guitar.
(d) A drum.
12. What is on a provocative poster that Kamal looks at along with the shrine of al-Husayn?
13. Who are quarreling when Amina tells them she is leaving the house?
(a) Yasin and Aisha.
(b) Khadija and Aisha.
(c) Kamal and Fahmy.
(d) Khadija and Kamal.
14. Who is described as the more beautiful of Amina's daughters?
15. Who shares a dream about being pushed off a roof with her family?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests to Amina that Aisha's engagement be allowed until Khadija is married first?
2. What does Kamal review daily with Amina that makes him keep her there as long as possible?
3. What is the name of the haughty and flirtatious woman who comes to Ahmad's store after the matchmaker?
4. How does Amina's mother describe her grandfather and father to suggest why evil cannot befall her?
5. Where does Kamal see a bus heading at the end of Chapter 8?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)