|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who shares a dream about being pushed off a roof with her family?
2. Where does Amina go after leaving Ahmad's home?
(a) Palace Walk.
(b) Her childhood home.
(c) Ezbekiya Garden.
(d) Goldsmith's Bazaar.
3. What is the name of Amina's servant that helps her knead dough?
(a) Umm Maryam.
(c) Umm Hanafi.
4. What does Ahmad say when Amina asks him about Fahmy marrying Maryam?
(a) Angrily dismisses the idea.
(b) Agrees but with doubts.
(c) Says no, but may reconsider.
(d) Agrees wholeheartedly.
5. What does Yasin's mother do joyfully when he visits her for the first time in the book?
6. What is the name of the café that Yasin settles on in Chapter 12?
(a) Goldsmith's Bazaar.
(b) Ahmad's Coffee Shop.
(c) Ezbekiya Garden.
(d) Ali's Coffee Shop.
7. Who does Amina tell Fahmy will be the one they have a hard time getting to agree on his marriage to Maryam?
(d) Umm Maryam.
8. What instrument does Ahmad play expertly?
(b) A guitar.
(c) A drum.
(d) A violin.
9. What does Amina feel opening as she pleads with Ahmad about Aisha's marriage in Chapter 25?
(a) A black hole.
(b) A bottomless pit.
(c) Hell's gates.
(d) The trash.
10. Where does Chapter 7 take place?
(a) Ahmad's home.
(b) New Street.
(c) Ahmad's store.
(d) Ezbekiya Garden.
11. What does Yasin call his mother before angrily leaving her in Chapter 18?
(a) A thief.
(b) A monster.
(c) A criminal.
(d) A liar.
12. Which of the following things are women not doing inside the mosque in Chapter 27?
(b) Touching the walls.
(c) Looking at the tombs.
(d) Lighting candles.
13. What kind of store does Yasin pass by on the way to his mother's that brings painful recollections?
14. Who is the first character seen in Chapter 8?
15. Who is left with the sorrow of a lost opportunity when Ahmad refues to let Aisha be married?
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Amina's husband could not be questioned because he was male?
2. What does Yasin reject regarding his mother's justification about her life?
3. What does Amina see as her sign of dedication for her husband?
4. Where does pain course through Amina after she is injured leaving a mosque?
5. What does Amina discover she has broken?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)