|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what time does Amina have to wait up on her husband every night?
(a) 11:00 p.m.
(b) 1:00 a.m.
(c) 10:00 p.m.
2. What is the relationship between Fahmy and Yasin in the book?
(b) Father and son.
3. What does Ahmad apply just before leaving the house with his sons each day?
(a) Hair gel.
(c) A coat.
4. Who is named second in command of the house while Amina rests from her injury?
5. What is the name of the gathering that all of Ahmad's family has at sunset except for him?
(a) Secret hour.
(b) Tea queue.
(c) Family time.
(d) Coffee hour.
6. Which of the following does Yasin not do to forget his mother in Chapter 13?
(a) Pines for Maryam.
(b) Curses his fate.
(c) Worries about his inheritance.
(d) Gets drunk.
7. How does Amina feel after she starts supervising the household from bed?
8. What is the name of Amina's servant that helps her knead dough?
(b) Umm Maryam.
(d) Umm Hanafi.
9. How does Amina's mother describe her grandfather and father to suggest why evil cannot befall her?
(c) Good men.
10. What kind of coops does Amina keep on her roof?
(c) Doves and ducks.
(d) Pigeon and chicken.
11. Which of the following is not one of Ahmad's morning rituals?
(a) Awaits breakfast with his sons.
12. What caused Ahmad to become severe with Kamal when he was a child?
(a) He lost his watch.
(b) His circumcision.
(c) He ran away.
(d) He went to town alone.
13. What is the name of the widowed woman that the matchmaker says wants to become Ahmad's second wife?
14. What is the name of the sheikh that admonishes Ahmad for his adultery and drunkenness?
15. What does Yasin tell his mother is the only way he will love her again when he visits her for the first time in the book?
(a) Meet him in secret.
(b) Drop her wedding plans.
(c) Give him money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl that is the foster daughter of the singer Zubayda?
2. Who is left with the sorrow of a lost opportunity when Ahmad refues to let Aisha be married?
3. What about Amina's husband could not be questioned because he was male?
4. What is the name of Zubayda's rival in her profession?
5. What kind of store does Yasin pass by on the way to his mother's that brings painful recollections?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)