|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who accompanies Amina to a mosque in Chapter 27?
2. Where does Amina go after leaving Ahmad's home?
(a) Goldsmith's Bazaar.
(b) Palace Walk.
(c) Her childhood home.
(d) Ezbekiya Garden.
3. What kind of worker was the man that wooed Yasin's mother and ruined his childhood?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A servant.
(c) A fruit merchant.
(d) A cook.
4. For what reason must Aisha make her confession, according to Khadija in Chapter 22?
(a) Amina's feelings.
(b) Ahmad's honor.
(c) Her feelings.
(d) The family's honor.
5. Who suggests to Amina that Aisha's engagement be allowed until Khadija is married first?
6. How does Amina feel after she starts supervising the household from bed?
7. What kind of coops does Amina keep on her roof?
(a) Pigeon and chicken.
(b) Doves and ducks.
8. What is the name of the sheikh that admonishes Ahmad for his adultery and drunkenness?
9. What is the name of the haughty and flirtatious woman who comes to Ahmad's store after the matchmaker?
10. Who suggests that Amina tell Ahmad that she fell down the stairs to explain her broken bone?
11. What does Amina feel opening as she pleads with Ahmad about Aisha's marriage in Chapter 25?
(a) Hell's gates.
(b) A black hole.
(c) The trash.
(d) A bottomless pit.
12. For what does Ahmad try to hire the woman who comes to his store after the matchmaker?
(a) As a dancer.
(b) As a singer.
(c) As a cook.
(d) As a prostitute.
13. What is the name of the widowed woman that the matchmaker says wants to become Ahmad's second wife?
14. When does Ahmad stop agitating to enforce good order in Chapter 20?
(a) When he visits the bar.
(b) Afternoon prayers.
(c) Daily chores.
(d) His afternoon drink.
15. What is Ahmad's assistant waiting to hear recited by a sheikh in Chapter 7?
(a) The news.
(b) The daily rules.
(c) Their horoscopes.
(d) The Qur'an.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is jealous of Fahmy wanting to be married and points out Maryam's faults?
2. Where does Kamal see a bus heading at the end of Chapter 8?
3. What does Kamal review daily with Amina that makes him keep her there as long as possible?
4. What does Amina discover she has broken?
5. How many years has Amina been married to her husband?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)