|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Amina's husband's name?
2. Who are quarreling when Amina tells them she is leaving the house?
(a) Kamal and Fahmy.
(b) Khadija and Kamal.
(c) Yasin and Aisha.
(d) Khadija and Aisha.
3. What is the name of the girl that is the foster daughter of the singer Zubayda?
4. What is the only part of love to which Ahmad responds?
5. What does Kamal envy about Yasin at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) His happiness.
(b) His freedom.
(c) His passion.
(d) His knowledge.
6. Where does Kamal see a bus heading at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Sugar Street.
(b) Palace Walk.
(c) Coppersmith Street.
(d) New Street.
7. Where does Chapter 7 take place?
(a) New Street.
(b) Ahmad's home.
(c) Ahmad's store.
(d) Ezbekiya Garden.
8. What is wrong with Ahmad in Chapter 3 that makes noises anger him?
(a) He broke his foot.
(b) He is hung over.
(c) He has a fever.
(d) His eye is hurt.
9. What is the name of the gathering that all of Ahmad's family has at sunset except for him?
(a) Secret hour.
(b) Coffee hour.
(c) Family time.
(d) Tea queue.
10. Which of the following things are women not doing inside the mosque in Chapter 27?
(a) Looking at the tombs.
(b) Touching the walls.
(c) Lighting candles.
11. What profession is the man that Yasin has learned his mother will marry in Chapter 17?
(a) A servant.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A baker.
12. Which of the following does Yasin not do to forget his mother in Chapter 13?
(a) Gets drunk.
(b) Curses his fate.
(c) Worries about his inheritance.
(d) Pines for Maryam.
13. Who is described as the more beautiful of Amina's daughters?
14. What title does Ahmad hold at the party he throws in Chapter 16?
(a) The man.
(b) Leader of the pack.
(c) The man of the hour.
(d) The bridegroom.
15. What kind of worker was the man that wooed Yasin's mother and ruined his childhood?
(a) A servant.
(b) A cook.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A fruit merchant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Ahmad play expertly?
2. Who suggests that Amina tell Ahmad that she fell down the stairs to explain her broken bone?
3. What does Amina discover she has broken?
4. What is the name of the matchmaker that visits Ahmad's store in Chapter 14?
5. What kind of eyes does Amina say Ahmad had that made her confess how she really was injured?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)