|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days a week is Paddy responsible for washing the dishes?
2. Who hides in the object under Paddy's parents' bed?
3. What doesn't Paddy have at home that he is afraid to confess to his classmates and teacher?
4. What is Ian's dog's name?
5. What country does Paddy want to visit when he grows up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Paddy discovers a signature in a book given to him by his father.
2. What steps does Paddy take to prevent his parents' fighting?
3. What is causing the boys' play territory to become smaller?
4. How does Paddy react to Sinbad's reaction to the food offering?
5. Why does Paddy begin staying awake all night?
6. How does Paddy keep himself awake throughout the night?
7. Why doesn't Paddy want to visit the zoo again?
8. Using details from the text, describe what happens to Paddy when he falls asleep in school after staying up all night.
9. How does Paddy feel about Americans fighting guerrillas?
10. Explain why the boys felt that the dogs had their tails docked. What is Sinbad's opinion regarding the matter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the elements of conflict presented in the novel? Is Paddy the only character that has a conflict or are there others? Use details from the class discussion and the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Once children start moving into the corporation houses, Paddy and his friends immediately hate them. Paddy begins to grow fond of Charles, however. How does Paddy begin to change once he starts hanging out with Charles more frequently?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the story of Father Damien and describe what kind of role model Father Damien was for Paddy.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)