|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paddy know that Sinbad is not sleeping one night when Paddy tries to talk to Sinbad?
2. Who teaches Paddy to ride his bike?
3. What country does Paddy want to visit when he grows up?
4. What name does Paddy call the man who lives in the fields in Barrytown?
5. What part of his foot does Paddy injure while playing in the dump area?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sinbad react when Paddy offers Sinbad an item of food the day Paddy falls asleep in class?
2. Why doesn't Paddy want to visit the zoo again?
3. Using details from the text, describe Paddy and his ma's discussion about an unused room in their house.
4. On several occasions, Sinbad and Paddy ask their parents for a dog. Describe the conversation that finally leads them to stop asking for a dog.
5. Why does Paddy begin staying awake all night?
6. One day Paddy and Sinbad find an object under their parents' bed. Using details from the text, describe what they find under the bed and what happens thereafter.
7. One day Paddy wakes up to find the kitchen is still a mess. How does Paddy react to the situation?
8. Explain why the boys felt that the dogs had their tails docked. What is Sinbad's opinion regarding the matter?
9. Describe what happens when the two new students are added to Paddy's class in his second year with Mr. Hennessey.
10. How do Paddy and his friends react when one of their friends gets stuck in a trench and begins to sink?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the important places where Paddy and his friends spend their time? How do the boys spend their time at these places? Are the places safe? Are the boys' activities safe?
Essay Topic 2
Growing up, Paddy can often hear his parents fighting. At first the fights are few and far between, but as the novel progress the fights become more frequent and violent. Describe how Paddy tries to stop the fighting and why Paddy is conflicted by the fights.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Paddy's relationship with his friends. Do they have a solid relationship? Use details from class discussion and the text to support your answers.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)