|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paddy know that Sinbad is not sleeping one night when Paddy tries to talk to Sinbad?
2. One day Paddy is playing with his cars in the hallway when he hears a distinct sound for the first time. What is the sound?
3. What is Ian's dog's name?
4. Why couldn't Paddy hit Sinbad anymore after the food offering went awry?
5. How does Paddy like his eggs?
Short Essay Questions
1. On several occasions, Sinbad and Paddy ask their parents for a dog. Describe the conversation that finally leads them to stop asking for a dog.
2. Describe what happens when the two new students are added to Paddy's class in his second year with Mr. Hennessey.
3. How do Paddy and his friends react when one of their friends gets stuck in a trench and begins to sink?
4. Describe the fight between Paddy and his new classmate.
5. How does Paddy learn to ride his bike?
6. What lies does Paddy tell Kevin when the two boys are talking about their parents fighting?
7. What is causing the boys' play territory to become smaller?
8. Explain why the boys felt that the dogs had their tails docked. What is Sinbad's opinion regarding the matter?
9. What crime does Sinbad commit without Paddy and what happens after Sinbad commits the crime?
10. What errand must Paddy run for Mr. Hennessey and what does Paddy do with his reward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Paddy's relationship with his friends. Do they have a solid relationship? Use details from class discussion and the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Using details from the text, describe how American influence played a role in the novel. Was it just a one time occurrence or were there several occurrences? List any occurrences that may have appeared and use details from the text and class discussion to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the story of Father Damien and describe what kind of role model Father Damien was for Paddy.
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)