|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relation does Paddy claim to the child who drowned in the pond?
2. What color is Paddy's bike?
3. Which student from another class does Mr. Hennessey bring into Paddy's class?
4. What question does Paddy ask Sinbad when they are talking in bed one night?
5. What nearby neighborhood do the boys travel to in order to get lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Paddy want to visit the zoo again?
2. Describe what happens when Paddy discovers a signature in a book given to him by his father.
3. What crime does Sinbad commit without Paddy and what happens after Sinbad commits the crime?
4. How do Paddy and his friends react when one of their friends gets stuck in a trench and begins to sink?
5. What lies does Paddy tell Kevin when the two boys are talking about their parents fighting?
6. What steps does Paddy take to prevent his parents' fighting?
7. How does Paddy feel about Americans fighting guerrillas?
8. Describe what happens when the two new students are added to Paddy's class in his second year with Mr. Hennessey.
9. One day Paddy wakes up to find the kitchen is still a mess. How does Paddy react to the situation?
10. How does Paddy learn to ride his bike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is written without chapters. As a reader, is it easier to predict what will happen next in a novel if there are chapters? Use class discussion to help support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the important places where Paddy and his friends spend their time? How do the boys spend their time at these places? Are the places safe? Are the boys' activities safe?
Essay Topic 3
Using details from the text and class discussions, compare and contrast how Sinbad and Paddy respond to their parents' fighting.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)