|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Paddy fear he'll have to run away from home?
2. Why can't Paddy and Sinbad have a dog?
3. What place does Paddy come in the 100-yard race during field day at his school?
4. After Paddy falls asleep in class, what food item does Paddy offer Sinbad?
5. Who teaches Paddy to ride his bike?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the boys felt that the dogs had their tails docked. What is Sinbad's opinion regarding the matter?
2. Describe the fight between Paddy and his new classmate.
3. How does Paddy keep himself awake throughout the night?
4. What crime does Sinbad commit without Paddy and what happens after Sinbad commits the crime?
5. Describe what happens when Paddy and Kevin try to look at Ian's dog's docked tail.
6. What errand must Paddy run for Mr. Hennessey and what does Paddy do with his reward?
7. What is causing the boys' play territory to become smaller?
8. What lies does Paddy tell Kevin when the two boys are talking about their parents fighting?
9. When Sinbad and Paddy are talking one night in bed, how does Sinbad respond to Paddy's claims that their parents are fighting?
10. One day Paddy wakes up to find the kitchen is still a mess. How does Paddy react to the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term diction and describe how it affects the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Using details from the text and class discussions, compare and contrast how Sinbad and Paddy respond to their parents' fighting.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of Paddy's fears? How does fear play a central role in the novel? Are Paddy's fears substantial or just trivial?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)