|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which classmate does Paddy want to impress?
2. What color is Paddy's bike?
3. What name does Paddy call the man who lives in the fields in Barrytown?
4. After Paddy falls asleep in class, what food item does Paddy offer Sinbad?
5. What nearby neighborhood do the boys travel to in order to get lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Paddy and his friends react when one of their friends gets stuck in a trench and begins to sink?
2. What errand must Paddy run for Mr. Hennessey and what does Paddy do with his reward?
3. How does Sinbad react when Paddy offers Sinbad an item of food the day Paddy falls asleep in class?
4. What steps does Paddy take to prevent his parents' fighting?
5. How does Paddy feel about Americans fighting guerrillas?
6. Using details from the text, describe what happens to Paddy when he falls asleep in school after staying up all night.
7. One day Paddy and Sinbad find an object under their parents' bed. Using details from the text, describe what they find under the bed and what happens thereafter.
8. How does Paddy learn to ride his bike?
9. Describe the fight between Paddy and his new classmate.
10. Explain why the boys felt that the dogs had their tails docked. What is Sinbad's opinion regarding the matter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
10-year-old Paddy has amazing insights regarding his parents' various behaviors and mannerisms. Using details from the text, describe some of the behaviorisms that Paddy noted about his ma and da. Are there any other characters that Paddy picked up the mannerisms of?
Essay Topic 2
Using details and elements discussed in the class and in the text, describe how abuse was a central part of the plot. Is there only one abuser? How does abuse affect the relationships between the characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How are the elements of conflict presented in the novel? Is Paddy the only character that has a conflict or are there others? Use details from the class discussion and the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)