|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Paddy and Sinbad have a dog?
2. What doesn't Paddy have at home that he is afraid to confess to his classmates and teacher?
3. Who do the boys try to hurt by making a voodoo doll?
4. Why doesn't Paddy find giving dead legs funny anymore?
5. Which of his friends does Paddy ask if their parents fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is written without chapters. As a reader, is it easier to predict what will happen next in a novel if there are chapters? Use class discussion to help support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How are the elements of conflict presented in the novel? Is Paddy the only character that has a conflict or are there others? Use details from the class discussion and the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Once children start moving into the corporation houses, Paddy and his friends immediately hate them. Paddy begins to grow fond of Charles, however. How does Paddy begin to change once he starts hanging out with Charles more frequently?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)