|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Mr. Hennessey tell Paddy he needs to be in bed by?
2. What mode of transportation becomes important to Paddy and his friends as they grow older?
3. What are the two new students' names that are placed in Paddy's class during his second year with Mr. Hennessey?
4. After Paddy falls asleep in class, what food item does Paddy offer Sinbad?
5. How many dogs are in Barrytown?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fight between Paddy and his new classmate.
2. Describe what happens when Paddy discovers a signature in a book given to him by his father.
3. On several occasions, Sinbad and Paddy ask their parents for a dog. Describe the conversation that finally leads them to stop asking for a dog.
4. What steps does Paddy take to prevent his parents' fighting?
5. How does Paddy feel about Americans fighting guerrillas?
6. Explain why the boys felt that the dogs had their tails docked. What is Sinbad's opinion regarding the matter?
7. Using details from the text, describe what happens to Paddy when he falls asleep in school after staying up all night.
8. What lies does Paddy tell Kevin when the two boys are talking about their parents fighting?
9. One day Paddy wakes up to find the kitchen is still a mess. How does Paddy react to the situation?
10. Why doesn't Paddy want to visit the zoo again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
10-year-old Paddy has amazing insights regarding his parents' various behaviors and mannerisms. Using details from the text, describe some of the behaviorisms that Paddy noted about his ma and da. Are there any other characters that Paddy picked up the mannerisms of?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is written without chapters. As a reader, is it easier to predict what will happen next in a novel if there are chapters? Use class discussion to help support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using details and elements discussed in the class and in the text, describe how abuse was a central part of the plot. Is there only one abuser? How does abuse affect the relationships between the characters in the novel?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)