|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of his foot does Paddy injure while playing in the dump area?
2. How many Patricks are in Paddy's class at school?
3. What name does Paddy call the man who lives in the fields in Barrytown?
4. On what day of the week does Paddy's da bring home food?
5. What mode of transportation becomes important to Paddy and his friends as they grow older?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paddy keep himself awake throughout the night?
2. When Sinbad and Paddy are talking one night in bed, how does Sinbad respond to Paddy's claims that their parents are fighting?
3. Describe the fight between Paddy and his new classmate.
4. Describe what happens when Paddy and Kevin try to look at Ian's dog's docked tail.
5. What errand must Paddy run for Mr. Hennessey and what does Paddy do with his reward?
6. One day Paddy wakes up to find the kitchen is still a mess. How does Paddy react to the situation?
7. Explain why the boys felt that the dogs had their tails docked. What is Sinbad's opinion regarding the matter?
8. Why doesn't Paddy want to visit the zoo again?
9. How does Sinbad react when Paddy offers Sinbad an item of food the day Paddy falls asleep in class?
10. Describe what happens when the two new students are added to Paddy's class in his second year with Mr. Hennessey.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is written without chapters. As a reader, is it easier to predict what will happen next in a novel if there are chapters? Use class discussion to help support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Paddy's relationship with his brother, Sinbad. How does Paddy treat Sinbad throughout the story? How does the way Paddy treats Sinbad affect Sinbad?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of Paddy's fears? How does fear play a central role in the novel? Are Paddy's fears substantial or just trivial?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)