|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What truth does Sinbad always deny, even when Paddy tells him repeatedly that it is the truth?
2. What animals does Paddy think that the Americans are fighting in Vietnam?
3. What mode of transportation becomes important to Paddy and his friends as they grow older?
4. What part of his foot does Paddy injure while playing in the dump area?
5. Why does Paddy fear he'll have to run away from home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the boys felt that the dogs had their tails docked. What is Sinbad's opinion regarding the matter?
2. One day Paddy and Sinbad find an object under their parents' bed. Using details from the text, describe what they find under the bed and what happens thereafter.
3. Describe what happens when the two new students are added to Paddy's class in his second year with Mr. Hennessey.
4. One day Paddy wakes up to find the kitchen is still a mess. How does Paddy react to the situation?
5. What lies does Paddy tell Kevin when the two boys are talking about their parents fighting?
6. Using details from the text, describe what happens to Paddy when he falls asleep in school after staying up all night.
7. On several occasions, Sinbad and Paddy ask their parents for a dog. Describe the conversation that finally leads them to stop asking for a dog.
8. Why does Paddy begin staying awake all night?
9. Describe what happens when Paddy and Kevin try to look at Ian's dog's docked tail.
10. How does Sinbad react when Paddy offers Sinbad an item of food the day Paddy falls asleep in class?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of Paddy's fears? How does fear play a central role in the novel? Are Paddy's fears substantial or just trivial?
Essay Topic 2
How are the elements of conflict presented in the novel? Is Paddy the only character that has a conflict or are there others? Use details from the class discussion and the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story Paddy often tells lies. What are some of the lies Paddy tells? Later in the story Paddy explains why he lies. Using details from the text and classroom discussion, explain why Paddy likes to make up stories that are not true.
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)