|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who scores a goal in the European Cup Final that causes Paddy to run around his house twice?
2. What doesn't Paddy have at home that he is afraid to confess to his classmates and teacher?
3. How does Paddy like his eggs?
4. What is Ian's dog's name?
5. Which child drowns in a pond?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Paddy discovers a signature in a book given to him by his father.
2. Using details from the text, describe what happens to Paddy when he falls asleep in school after staying up all night.
3. How do Paddy and his friends react when one of their friends gets stuck in a trench and begins to sink?
4. What crime does Sinbad commit without Paddy and what happens after Sinbad commits the crime?
5. How does Paddy learn to ride his bike?
6. Describe the fight between Paddy and his new classmate.
7. On several occasions, Sinbad and Paddy ask their parents for a dog. Describe the conversation that finally leads them to stop asking for a dog.
8. What errand must Paddy run for Mr. Hennessey and what does Paddy do with his reward?
9. Explain why the boys felt that the dogs had their tails docked. What is Sinbad's opinion regarding the matter?
10. How does Paddy react to Sinbad's reaction to the food offering?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using details and elements discussed in the class and in the text, describe how abuse was a central part of the plot. Is there only one abuser? How does abuse affect the relationships between the characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term diction and describe how it affects the novel.
Essay Topic 3
A major plot point in the story is Paddy's parents' relationship. What is their relationship like and how does it affect the story?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)