|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which new student in Paddy's class does Paddy decide to fight?
2. What country does one of Paddy's uncles move to?
3. What place does Paddy come in the 100-yard race during field day at his school?
4. What kind of fish does Paddy's ma say is in fish fingers?
5. What does Sinbad NOT want in Paddy and Sinbad's room anymore?
Short Essay Questions
1. One day Paddy and Sinbad find an object under their parents' bed. Using details from the text, describe what they find under the bed and what happens thereafter.
2. Explain why the boys felt that the dogs had their tails docked. What is Sinbad's opinion regarding the matter?
3. Using details from the text, describe what happens to Paddy when he falls asleep in school after staying up all night.
4. How does Paddy learn to ride his bike?
5. What crime does Sinbad commit without Paddy and what happens after Sinbad commits the crime?
6. When Sinbad and Paddy are talking one night in bed, how does Sinbad respond to Paddy's claims that their parents are fighting?
7. How does Paddy feel about Americans fighting guerrillas?
8. Using details from the text, describe Paddy and his ma's discussion about an unused room in their house.
9. Why doesn't Paddy want to visit the zoo again?
10. Describe what happens when Paddy and Kevin try to look at Ian's dog's docked tail.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Paddy's relationship with his brother, Sinbad. How does Paddy treat Sinbad throughout the story? How does the way Paddy treats Sinbad affect Sinbad?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the story of Father Damien and describe what kind of role model Father Damien was for Paddy.
Essay Topic 3
Using details from the text, describe how American influence played a role in the novel. Was it just a one time occurrence or were there several occurrences? List any occurrences that may have appeared and use details from the text and class discussion to support your answer.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)