|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many dogs are in Barrytown?
2. What doesn't Paddy have at home that he is afraid to confess to his classmates and teacher?
3. After Paddy and Sinbad's conversation in bed one night, what name does Paddy start calling Sinbad?
4. What place does Paddy come in the 100-yard race during field day at his school?
5. How does Paddy know that Sinbad is not sleeping one night when Paddy tries to talk to Sinbad?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Paddy discovers a signature in a book given to him by his father.
2. Using details from the text, describe what happens to Paddy when he falls asleep in school after staying up all night.
3. One day Paddy and Sinbad find an object under their parents' bed. Using details from the text, describe what they find under the bed and what happens thereafter.
4. Describe what happens when Paddy and Kevin try to look at Ian's dog's docked tail.
5. What steps does Paddy take to prevent his parents' fighting?
6. How does Paddy react to Sinbad's reaction to the food offering?
7. How do Paddy and his friends react when one of their friends gets stuck in a trench and begins to sink?
8. How does Paddy keep himself awake throughout the night?
9. When Sinbad and Paddy are talking one night in bed, how does Sinbad respond to Paddy's claims that their parents are fighting?
10. What is causing the boys' play territory to become smaller?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paddy changes throughout the story. In what ways does Paddy change? Does his change represent the elements in his life that he has no control over or is his change typical child development?
Essay Topic 2
Growing up, Paddy can often hear his parents fighting. At first the fights are few and far between, but as the novel progress the fights become more frequent and violent. Describe how Paddy tries to stop the fighting and why Paddy is conflicted by the fights.
Essay Topic 3
How does Paddy wanting to run away become a central plot element? How does Paddy prepare to run away and are there any holes in his plan? Use details from the class discussion and text to help support your answer.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)