|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of his friends does Paddy ask if their parents fight?
2. Why do the boys steal from Cyril the butcher?
3. What happens to Paddy and Sinbad for stealing?
4. Which student from another class does Mr. Hennessey bring into Paddy's class?
5. Paddy and his friends think the rooster is what type of chicken?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when the two new students are added to Paddy's class in his second year with Mr. Hennessey.
2. Explain why the boys felt that the dogs had their tails docked. What is Sinbad's opinion regarding the matter?
3. Why doesn't Paddy want to visit the zoo again?
4. Describe what happens when Paddy discovers a signature in a book given to him by his father.
5. One day Paddy and Sinbad find an object under their parents' bed. Using details from the text, describe what they find under the bed and what happens thereafter.
6. When Sinbad and Paddy are talking one night in bed, how does Sinbad respond to Paddy's claims that their parents are fighting?
7. Using details from the text, describe what happens to Paddy when he falls asleep in school after staying up all night.
8. How does Paddy react to Sinbad's reaction to the food offering?
9. How does Sinbad react when Paddy offers Sinbad an item of food the day Paddy falls asleep in class?
10. Describe the fight between Paddy and his new classmate.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the important places where Paddy and his friends spend their time? How do the boys spend their time at these places? Are the places safe? Are the boys' activities safe?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is written without chapters. As a reader, is it easier to predict what will happen next in a novel if there are chapters? Use class discussion to help support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using details from the text and class discussions, compare and contrast how Sinbad and Paddy respond to their parents' fighting.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)