|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Paddy and Sinbad's conversation in bed one night, what name does Paddy start calling Sinbad?
2. Where does Paddy want to runaway to?
3. When Paddy offers Sinbad the food and Sinbad continues to ignore Paddy, what does Paddy do?
4. What color is Paddy's bike?
5. After Paddy falls asleep in class, what food item does Paddy offer Sinbad?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the boys felt that the dogs had their tails docked. What is Sinbad's opinion regarding the matter?
2. How does Sinbad react when Paddy offers Sinbad an item of food the day Paddy falls asleep in class?
3. When Sinbad and Paddy are talking one night in bed, how does Sinbad respond to Paddy's claims that their parents are fighting?
4. How does Paddy keep himself awake throughout the night?
5. Describe what happens when Paddy discovers a signature in a book given to him by his father.
6. How do Paddy and his friends react when one of their friends gets stuck in a trench and begins to sink?
7. On several occasions, Sinbad and Paddy ask their parents for a dog. Describe the conversation that finally leads them to stop asking for a dog.
8. Why doesn't Paddy want to visit the zoo again?
9. What lies does Paddy tell Kevin when the two boys are talking about their parents fighting?
10. Describe what happens when Paddy and Kevin try to look at Ian's dog's docked tail.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Once children start moving into the corporation houses, Paddy and his friends immediately hate them. Paddy begins to grow fond of Charles, however. How does Paddy begin to change once he starts hanging out with Charles more frequently?
Essay Topic 2
Growing up, Paddy can often hear his parents fighting. At first the fights are few and far between, but as the novel progress the fights become more frequent and violent. Describe how Paddy tries to stop the fighting and why Paddy is conflicted by the fights.
Essay Topic 3
Using details and elements discussed in the class and in the text, describe how abuse was a central part of the plot. Is there only one abuser? How does abuse affect the relationships between the characters in the novel?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)