|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Mr. Hennessey tell Paddy he needs to be in bed by?
2. After Paddy and Sinbad's conversation in bed one night, what name does Paddy start calling Sinbad?
3. What nearby neighborhood do the boys travel to in order to get lost?
4. How many dogs are in Barrytown?
5. What crime does Sinbad commit without Paddy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paddy begin staying awake all night?
2. Describe what happens when Paddy and Kevin try to look at Ian's dog's docked tail.
3. When Sinbad and Paddy are talking one night in bed, how does Sinbad respond to Paddy's claims that their parents are fighting?
4. One day Paddy and Sinbad find an object under their parents' bed. Using details from the text, describe what they find under the bed and what happens thereafter.
5. How does Paddy learn to ride his bike?
6. How do Paddy and his friends react when one of their friends gets stuck in a trench and begins to sink?
7. Describe what happens when Paddy discovers a signature in a book given to him by his father.
8. How does Sinbad react when Paddy offers Sinbad an item of food the day Paddy falls asleep in class?
9. Describe the fight between Paddy and his new classmate.
10. Using details from the text, describe Paddy and his ma's discussion about an unused room in their house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Paddy's relationship with his brother, Sinbad. How does Paddy treat Sinbad throughout the story? How does the way Paddy treats Sinbad affect Sinbad?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is written without chapters. As a reader, is it easier to predict what will happen next in a novel if there are chapters? Use class discussion to help support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using details and elements discussed in the class and in the text, describe how abuse was a central part of the plot. Is there only one abuser? How does abuse affect the relationships between the characters in the novel?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)