|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Kevin's older brother?
2. How does Paddy's ma fasten Paddy's trousers when she cannot zip them?
3. When does Paddy's hero from his favorite story die?
4. What does Paddy pick as his pet when he has to write about his favorite pet in a homework assignment?
5. One day Mr. Hennessey reads a story in class. What word from the story baffles Paddy and his friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Paddy's relationship with his da.
2. What action during the family picnic causes Paddy to ruin Sinbad's biscuits? How does Paddy ruin the biscuits?
3. What happens to Paddy one day after they watch a Three Stooges movie at school?
4. Describe what happens when Miss Watkins brings in a tea-towel with the Proclamation of Independence on it into Paddy's classroom.
5. Using details from the text to support your answer, describe Mr. Hennessey, Paddy's teacher.
6. How does Paddy react when he is stung by a jellyfish?
7. Using details from the text, describe what it was like taking a family photo in the Clarke household.
8. When does Paddy's da usually teach Paddy new songs and what are some of the songs Paddy's father taught him?
9. Describe Paddy's relationship with his two sisters, Catherine and Deirdre.
10. What are some of the random facts that Paddy tells the reader he learned from reading?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of Paddy's fears? How does fear play a central role in the novel? Are Paddy's fears substantial or just trivial?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Paddy's relationship with his brother, Sinbad. How does Paddy treat Sinbad throughout the story? How does the way Paddy treats Sinbad affect Sinbad?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the story of Father Damien and describe what kind of role model Father Damien was for Paddy.
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)