|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paddy's mother put on the sting that Paddy received while he was swimming?
2. On whose pillar does Kevin draw a mickey?
3. Who is Kevin's older brother?
4. Who teaches Paddy and Sinbad to make farting noises with their arms?
5. Who hides with Paddy in the pipes to try and scare their other friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Paddy's relationship with his ma.
2. On some Fridays, Paddy's school would show a movie for the end of the day. What usually happened when the movies were shown?
3. Using details from the text, describe what happens when Paddy and Kevin enter the nurse's office to have their marks checked.
4. Using details from the text, describe how Paddy's fort under the table is an indication that Paddy still wants to be a child.
5. What happens to Paddy one day after they watch a Three Stooges movie at school?
6. What are some of the random facts that Paddy tells the reader he learned from reading?
7. What happens to Kevin's brother when he gets into big trouble?
8. Paddy states in the novel that the story of Father Damien was the best story Paddy ever read. Why does Paddy enjoy this story?
9. Describe the ceremony that Paddy and his friends sometimes played on Fridays.
10. Using details from the text to support your answer, describe Mr. Hennessey, Paddy's teacher.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Once children start moving into the corporation houses, Paddy and his friends immediately hate them. Paddy begins to grow fond of Charles, however. How does Paddy begin to change once he starts hanging out with Charles more frequently?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Paddy's relationship with his friends. Do they have a solid relationship? Use details from class discussion and the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of Paddy's fears? How does fear play a central role in the novel? Are Paddy's fears substantial or just trivial?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)