|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the record number of pages that Paddy's ma read in one night?
2. What type of biscuits do Paddy and Sinbad eat at the picnic?
3. In what construction material do Paddy and his friends sometimes play?
4. Where do the gang of boys like to light fires?
5. When Paddy is stung while he is swimming, who does his mother offer to call?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Paddy and Sinbad's relationship using examples from the text to support your answer.
2. What happens to Kevin's brother when he gets into big trouble?
3. Using details from the text, describe what it was like taking a family photo in the Clarke household.
4. Using details from the text, describe how Paddy is stuck between being a child and becoming a teenager.
5. Where does the Clarke family go for Sinbad's Holy Communion and what happens when they are there?
6. Paddy states in the novel that the story of Father Damien was the best story Paddy ever read. Why does Paddy enjoy this story?
7. Describe Paddy's relationship with his two sisters, Catherine and Deirdre.
8. Paddy and his family go on a picnic. Describe how the picnic went and the general atmosphere of the picnic from Paddy's point-of-view.
9. How does Paddy react when he is stung by a jellyfish?
10. What happens when Paddy and his father go to the library?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the story of Father Damien and describe what kind of role model Father Damien was for Paddy.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Paddy's relationship with his da. Do they have a good relationship? Why or why not? How does Paddy's relationship with his da compare to the relationship Liam/Aidan have with their da? What similarities do Paddy and his da share?
Essay Topic 3
Paddy changes throughout the story. In what ways does Paddy change? Does his change represent the elements in his life that he has no control over or is his change typical child development?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)