|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hides with Paddy in the pipes to try and scare their other friends?
2. Who forbids Joseph de Veuster to become a priest?
3. Whose da 'howls at the moon'?
4. What does Paddy pick as his pet when he has to write about his favorite pet in a homework assignment?
5. Who is always the high priest Zentoga when the boys have a naming ritual on Fridays?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the rumors Paddy and his friends heard about the death of Sean Rickard? What actually killed Sean?
2. Describe Paddy's relationship with his da.
3. Using details from the text to support your answer, describe Mr. Hennessey, Paddy's teacher.
4. What action during the family picnic causes Paddy to ruin Sinbad's biscuits? How does Paddy ruin the biscuits?
5. Describe the scene that ensues after the first two boys leave the nurse's office after having their marks checked.
6. Using details from the text, describe what happens when Paddy and Kevin enter the nurse's office to have their marks checked.
7. Paddy states in the novel that the story of Father Damien was the best story Paddy ever read. Why does Paddy enjoy this story?
8. Why doesn't Paddy ever answer Kevin's questions?
9. Using details from the text, describe how Paddy is stuck between being a child and becoming a teenager.
10. Describe Paddy and Sinbad's relationship using examples from the text to support your answer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story Paddy often tells lies. What are some of the lies Paddy tells? Later in the story Paddy explains why he lies. Using details from the text and classroom discussion, explain why Paddy likes to make up stories that are not true.
Essay Topic 2
How are the elements of conflict presented in the novel? Is Paddy the only character that has a conflict or are there others? Use details from the class discussion and the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Paddy changes throughout the story. In what ways does Paddy change? Does his change represent the elements in his life that he has no control over or is his change typical child development?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)