|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Paddy's hero from his favorite story die?
2. Whose da 'howls at the moon'?
3. What does Paddy read that causes him to fear World War III?
4. What do Paddy and his friends call their teacher?
5. What is one of the issues that Paddy and his da like to discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Paddy and Kevin try to look at Ian's dog's docked tail.
2. How does Sinbad react when Paddy offers Sinbad an item of food the day Paddy falls asleep in class?
3. Describe Paddy's relationship with his da.
4. How does Paddy learn to ride his bike?
5. Why doesn't Paddy want to visit the zoo again?
6. Describe the scene that ensues after the first two boys leave the nurse's office after having their marks checked.
7. Where does the Clarke family go for Sinbad's Holy Communion and what happens when they are there?
8. On several occasions, Sinbad and Paddy ask their parents for a dog. Describe the conversation that finally leads them to stop asking for a dog.
9. How could Paddy tell that his da is drunk?
10. One day Paddy wakes up to find the kitchen is still a mess. How does Paddy react to the situation?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Paddy's relationship with his ma. Do they have a good relationship? Why/Why not? Why does Paddy feel that his ma is the best ma in the neighborhood?
Essay Topic 2
Growing up, Paddy can often hear his parents fighting. At first the fights are few and far between, but as the novel progress the fights become more frequent and violent. Describe how Paddy tries to stop the fighting and why Paddy is conflicted by the fights.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of Paddy's fears? How does fear play a central role in the novel? Are Paddy's fears substantial or just trivial?
This section contains 1,617 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)