|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is blocking the pipe at the Clarke house that causes the drain to become clogged?
2. Where is Paddy's usual seat in the class after the spelling test on Fridays?
3. What item does Paddy's father own that is in a red box?
4. When Paddy is stung while he is swimming, who does his mother offer to call?
5. Who gets into trouble for doing the activity that is banned at Paddy's school by the headmaster?
Short Essay Questions
1. What action during the family picnic causes Paddy to ruin Sinbad's biscuits? How does Paddy ruin the biscuits?
2. On some Fridays, Paddy's school would show a movie for the end of the day. What usually happened when the movies were shown?
3. Using details from the text, describe what happens when Paddy and Kevin enter the nurse's office to have their marks checked.
4. Using details from the text, describe what it was like taking a family photo in the Clarke household.
5. Why does Paddy pour salt on a slug and what happens after he pours the salt?
6. How does Paddy react when he is stung by a jellyfish?
7. Using details from the text, describe how Paddy's fort under the table is an indication that Paddy still wants to be a child.
8. Using details from the text to support your answer, describe Mr. Hennessey, Paddy's teacher.
9. What happens when Paddy and his father go to the library?
10. What are some of the random facts that Paddy tells the reader he learned from reading?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A major plot point in the story is Paddy's parents' relationship. What is their relationship like and how does it affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Paddy's relationship with his ma. Do they have a good relationship? Why/Why not? Why does Paddy feel that his ma is the best ma in the neighborhood?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of Paddy's fears? How does fear play a central role in the novel? Are Paddy's fears substantial or just trivial?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)