|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bread product does Paddy find the best for making "hosts"?
2. What clothes line article do Paddy and his friends shove into Aidan's face?
3. What do Paddy and his friends call their teacher?
4. Who is Mr. O'Connell's girlfriend?
5. Whose da 'howls at the moon'?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene that ensues after the first two boys leave the nurse's office after having their marks checked.
2. Paddy and his family go on a picnic. Describe how the picnic went and the general atmosphere of the picnic from Paddy's point-of-view.
3. Describe Paddy's relationship with his ma.
4. When does Paddy's da usually teach Paddy new songs and what are some of the songs Paddy's father taught him?
5. Paddy states in the novel that the story of Father Damien was the best story Paddy ever read. Why does Paddy enjoy this story?
6. Why doesn't Paddy ever answer Kevin's questions?
7. Describe some of the acts that Paddy and his friends committed that shows they were the town's troublemakers.
8. Where does the Clarke family go for Sinbad's Holy Communion and what happens when they are there?
9. Paddy and his friends became the Vigour Tribe for a day. What were some of the acts committed by the Vigour Tribe?
10. Using details from the text, describe how Paddy's fort under the table is an indication that Paddy still wants to be a child.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Paddy wanting to run away become a central plot element? How does Paddy prepare to run away and are there any holes in his plan? Use details from the class discussion and text to help support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using details from the text and class discussions, compare and contrast how Sinbad and Paddy respond to their parents' fighting.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the important places where Paddy and his friends spend their time? How do the boys spend their time at these places? Are the places safe? Are the boys' activities safe?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)