|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paddy's ma find running around in their toilet bowl?
2. Which of Paddy's friends does not attend the same school as Paddy?
3. What group of priests does Joseph join?
4. Who is Mr. O'Connell's girlfriend?
5. What chore must Paddy do every Sunday before Mass?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the Clarke family go for Sinbad's Holy Communion and what happens when they are there?
2. What happens when Paddy and his father go to the library?
3. How does Paddy react when he is stung by a jellyfish?
4. Describe Paddy's relationship with his da.
5. What happens to Paddy one day after they watch a Three Stooges movie at school?
6. Describe Paddy and Sinbad's relationship using examples from the text to support your answer.
7. Describe the scene that ensues after the first two boys leave the nurse's office after having their marks checked.
8. Using details from the text, describe how Paddy's fort under the table is an indication that Paddy still wants to be a child.
9. On some Fridays, Paddy's school would show a movie for the end of the day. What usually happened when the movies were shown?
10. Describe the ceremony that Paddy and his friends sometimes played on Fridays.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the elements of conflict presented in the novel? Is Paddy the only character that has a conflict or are there others? Use details from the class discussion and the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Paddy's relationship with his ma. Do they have a good relationship? Why/Why not? Why does Paddy feel that his ma is the best ma in the neighborhood?
Essay Topic 3
Using details and elements discussed in the class and in the text, describe how abuse was a central part of the plot. Is there only one abuser? How does abuse affect the relationships between the characters in the novel?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)