Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Paddy request in a letter to Santa for Christmas?
2. In what construction material do Paddy and his friends sometimes play?
3. What is another issue that Paddy and his da like to discuss?
4. Who hides with Paddy in the pipes to try and scare their other friends?
5. Who does Paddy's da blame when the Clarke family's drain gets blocked once?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when the two new students are added to Paddy's class in his second year with Mr. Hennessey.
2. Describe the scene that ensues after the first two boys leave the nurse's office after having their marks checked.
3. How does Paddy keep himself awake throughout the night?
4. How does Paddy learn to ride his bike?
5. How do Paddy and his friends react when one of their friends gets stuck in a trench and begins to sink?
6. Using details from the text, describe Paddy and his ma's discussion about an unused room in their house.
7. When Sinbad and Paddy are talking one night in bed, how does Sinbad respond to Paddy's claims that their parents are fighting?
8. Explain why the boys felt that the dogs had their tails docked. What is Sinbad's opinion regarding the matter?
9. What happens when Paddy and Kevin ask Charles and Sean to play soccer?
10. Why doesn't Paddy ever answer Kevin's questions?
How are the elements of conflict presented in the novel? Is Paddy the only character that has a conflict or are there others? Use details from the class discussion and the text to support your answers.
Growing up, Paddy can often hear his parents fighting. At first the fights are few and far between, but as the novel progress the fights become more frequent and violent. Describe how Paddy tries to stop the fighting and why Paddy is conflicted by the fights.
10-year-old Paddy has amazing insights regarding his parents' various behaviors and mannerisms. Using details from the text, describe some of the behaviorisms that Paddy noted about his ma and da. Are there any other characters that Paddy picked up the mannerisms of?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)