|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paddy use to choke Brian Sheridan with while the boys are waiting to have their marks checked?
2. What type of sick people does Paddy's hero help?
3. Who stops trimming the hedges in the fields because the hedges are going to be dug up?
4. What type of biscuits do Paddy and Sinbad eat at the picnic?
5. What physical activity that the boys at Paddy's school use to hurt each other is banned by the headmaster?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paddy pour salt on a slug and what happens after he pours the salt?
2. Where does the Clarke family go for Sinbad's Holy Communion and what happens when they are there?
3. Using details from the text, describe what happens when Paddy and Kevin enter the nurse's office to have their marks checked.
4. Using details from the text, describe how Paddy's fort under the table is an indication that Paddy still wants to be a child.
5. How does Paddy react when he is stung by a jellyfish?
6. What are some of the random facts that Paddy tells the reader he learned from reading?
7. Using details from the text, describe what it was like taking a family photo in the Clarke household.
8. Describe some of the acts that Paddy and his friends committed that shows they were the town's troublemakers.
9. Describe Paddy's relationship with his two sisters, Catherine and Deirdre.
10. What are some of the rumors Paddy and his friends heard about the death of Sean Rickard? What actually killed Sean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the important places where Paddy and his friends spend their time? How do the boys spend their time at these places? Are the places safe? Are the boys' activities safe?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of Paddy's fears? How does fear play a central role in the novel? Are Paddy's fears substantial or just trivial?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the story of Father Damien and describe what kind of role model Father Damien was for Paddy.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)