|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paddy want his vocation to be?
2. What is the boys' favorite thing to jump when they are playing chase?
3. What is one of the issues that Paddy and his da like to discuss?
4. One day Mr. Hennessey reads a story in class. What word from the story baffles Paddy and his friends?
5. What does Paddy do after he is stung when he was swimming to get more attention from his ma?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Kevin's brother when he gets into big trouble?
2. Where does the Clarke family go for Sinbad's Holy Communion and what happens when they are there?
3. Using details from the text, describe what happens when Paddy and Kevin enter the nurse's office to have their marks checked.
4. Describe Paddy's relationship with his two sisters, Catherine and Deirdre.
5. Describe the ceremony that Paddy and his friends sometimes played on Fridays.
6. Using details from the text, describe how Paddy's fort under the table is an indication that Paddy still wants to be a child.
7. Using details from the text, describe how Paddy is stuck between being a child and becoming a teenager.
8. What happens to Paddy one day after they watch a Three Stooges movie at school?
9. Describe what happens when Miss Watkins brings in a tea-towel with the Proclamation of Independence on it into Paddy's classroom.
10. Describe Paddy and Sinbad's relationship using examples from the text to support your answer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Paddy's relationship with his friends. Do they have a solid relationship? Use details from class discussion and the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story Paddy often tells lies. What are some of the lies Paddy tells? Later in the story Paddy explains why he lies. Using details from the text and classroom discussion, explain why Paddy likes to make up stories that are not true.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Paddy's relationship with his ma. Do they have a good relationship? Why/Why not? Why does Paddy feel that his ma is the best ma in the neighborhood?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)