|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One day Mr. Hennessey reads a story in class. What word from the story baffles Paddy and his friends?
2. Who is the central character in the story that Paddy says is the best story he ever read?
3. Which of Paddy's friends does not attend the same school as Paddy?
4. In what construction material do Paddy and his friends sometimes play?
5. What do the O'Connell's eat at every lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene that ensues after the first two boys leave the nurse's office after having their marks checked.
2. What happens to Kevin's brother when he gets into big trouble?
3. Describe Paddy's relationship with his ma.
4. Paddy and his friends became the Vigour Tribe for a day. What were some of the acts committed by the Vigour Tribe?
5. When does Paddy's da usually teach Paddy new songs and what are some of the songs Paddy's father taught him?
6. Describe Paddy's relationship with his two sisters, Catherine and Deirdre.
7. Paddy and his family go on a picnic. Describe how the picnic went and the general atmosphere of the picnic from Paddy's point-of-view.
8. Describe what happens when Miss Watkins brings in a tea-towel with the Proclamation of Independence on it into Paddy's classroom.
9. Describe some of the acts that Paddy and his friends committed that shows they were the town's troublemakers.
10. How does Paddy react when he is stung by a jellyfish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the story of Father Damien and describe what kind of role model Father Damien was for Paddy.
Essay Topic 2
Once children start moving into the corporation houses, Paddy and his friends immediately hate them. Paddy begins to grow fond of Charles, however. How does Paddy begin to change once he starts hanging out with Charles more frequently?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Paddy's relationship with his brother, Sinbad. How does Paddy treat Sinbad throughout the story? How does the way Paddy treats Sinbad affect Sinbad?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)