|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the O'Connell's eat at every lunch?
2. What physical activity that the boys at Paddy's school use to hurt each other is banned by the headmaster?
3. In what construction material do Paddy and his friends sometimes play?
4. In what era is the novel taking place?
5. What item does Paddy's father own that is in a red box?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using details from the text, describe how Paddy's fort under the table is an indication that Paddy still wants to be a child.
2. Describe some of the acts that Paddy and his friends committed that shows they were the town's troublemakers.
3. Describe Paddy's relationship with his ma.
4. Why doesn't Paddy ever answer Kevin's questions?
5. What are some of the rumors Paddy and his friends heard about the death of Sean Rickard? What actually killed Sean?
6. What happens when Paddy and his father go to the library?
7. Why does Paddy pour salt on a slug and what happens after he pours the salt?
8. What action during the family picnic causes Paddy to ruin Sinbad's biscuits? How does Paddy ruin the biscuits?
9. Using details from the text, describe what it was like taking a family photo in the Clarke household.
10. Using details from the text, describe how Paddy is stuck between being a child and becoming a teenager.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using details from the text and class discussions, compare and contrast how Sinbad and Paddy respond to their parents' fighting.
Essay Topic 2
10-year-old Paddy has amazing insights regarding his parents' various behaviors and mannerisms. Using details from the text, describe some of the behaviorisms that Paddy noted about his ma and da. Are there any other characters that Paddy picked up the mannerisms of?
Essay Topic 3
Using details from the text, describe how American influence played a role in the novel. Was it just a one time occurrence or were there several occurrences? List any occurrences that may have appeared and use details from the text and class discussion to support your answer.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)