|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns a farm that Paddy and his friends enjoy playing in?
2. How does Paddy's ma fasten Paddy's trousers when she cannot zip them?
3. What do Paddy and his friends call their teacher?
4. What marks are the school officials checking for one day at Paddy's school?
5. In what era is the novel taking place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using details from the text, describe how Paddy is stuck between being a child and becoming a teenager.
2. When does Paddy's da usually teach Paddy new songs and what are some of the songs Paddy's father taught him?
3. Paddy and his family go on a picnic. Describe how the picnic went and the general atmosphere of the picnic from Paddy's point-of-view.
4. What happens to Paddy one day after they watch a Three Stooges movie at school?
5. Paddy states in the novel that the story of Father Damien was the best story Paddy ever read. Why does Paddy enjoy this story?
6. Describe Paddy's relationship with his da.
7. What action during the family picnic causes Paddy to ruin Sinbad's biscuits? How does Paddy ruin the biscuits?
8. Describe Paddy and Sinbad's relationship using examples from the text to support your answer.
9. What are some of the rumors Paddy and his friends heard about the death of Sean Rickard? What actually killed Sean?
10. Using details from the text, describe what it was like taking a family photo in the Clarke household.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term diction and describe how it affects the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Growing up, Paddy can often hear his parents fighting. At first the fights are few and far between, but as the novel progress the fights become more frequent and violent. Describe how Paddy tries to stop the fighting and why Paddy is conflicted by the fights.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Paddy's relationship with his ma. Do they have a good relationship? Why/Why not? Why does Paddy feel that his ma is the best ma in the neighborhood?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)