|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Paddy's favorite American pioneer?
2. When Paddy is stung while he is swimming, who does his mother offer to call?
3. What Native American weapon does Paddy make?
4. What does Paddy pick as his pet when he has to write about his favorite pet in a homework assignment?
5. Where does Paddy sometimes sit for hours?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using details from the text to support your answer, describe Mr. Hennessey, Paddy's teacher.
2. Describe what happens when Miss Watkins brings in a tea-towel with the Proclamation of Independence on it into Paddy's classroom.
3. Using details from the text, describe what happens when Paddy and Kevin enter the nurse's office to have their marks checked.
4. Paddy and his family go on a picnic. Describe how the picnic went and the general atmosphere of the picnic from Paddy's point-of-view.
5. What are some of the rumors Paddy and his friends heard about the death of Sean Rickard? What actually killed Sean?
6. What happens to Paddy one day after they watch a Three Stooges movie at school?
7. How does Paddy react when he is stung by a jellyfish?
8. What happens when Paddy and his father go to the library?
9. What happens to Kevin's brother when he gets into big trouble?
10. Using details from the text, describe how Paddy's fort under the table is an indication that Paddy still wants to be a child.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Paddy wanting to run away become a central plot element? How does Paddy prepare to run away and are there any holes in his plan? Use details from the class discussion and text to help support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
A major plot point in the story is Paddy's parents' relationship. What is their relationship like and how does it affect the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Paddy's relationship with his friends. Do they have a solid relationship? Use details from class discussion and the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)