|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Paddy and his family have a picnic shortly after they purchase their new car?
2. What is one of the issues that Paddy and his da like to discuss?
3. Who is Paddy's favorite American pioneer?
4. Who does Paddy's da blame when the Clarke family's drain gets blocked once?
5. In what construction material do Paddy and his friends sometimes play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene that ensues after the first two boys leave the nurse's office after having their marks checked.
2. Paddy states in the novel that the story of Father Damien was the best story Paddy ever read. Why does Paddy enjoy this story?
3. What action during the family picnic causes Paddy to ruin Sinbad's biscuits? How does Paddy ruin the biscuits?
4. What happens when Paddy and his father go to the library?
5. Where does the Clarke family go for Sinbad's Holy Communion and what happens when they are there?
6. Paddy and his family go on a picnic. Describe how the picnic went and the general atmosphere of the picnic from Paddy's point-of-view.
7. Using details from the text, describe what happens when Paddy and Kevin enter the nurse's office to have their marks checked.
8. Describe some of the acts that Paddy and his friends committed that shows they were the town's troublemakers.
9. What are some of the random facts that Paddy tells the reader he learned from reading?
10. When does Paddy's da usually teach Paddy new songs and what are some of the songs Paddy's father taught him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Paddy's relationship with his brother, Sinbad. How does Paddy treat Sinbad throughout the story? How does the way Paddy treats Sinbad affect Sinbad?
Essay Topic 2
Using details and elements discussed in the class and in the text, describe how abuse was a central part of the plot. Is there only one abuser? How does abuse affect the relationships between the characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Once children start moving into the corporation houses, Paddy and his friends immediately hate them. Paddy begins to grow fond of Charles, however. How does Paddy begin to change once he starts hanging out with Charles more frequently?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)