|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Paddy's da in the novel?
2. What do the boys steal from a building site at the start of the novel?
3. What is blocking the pipe at the Clarke house that causes the drain to become clogged?
4. What item does Paddy prefer for starting fires?
5. Where do the gang of boys like to light fires?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Paddy's relationship with his two sisters, Catherine and Deirdre.
2. Using details from the text to support your answer, describe Mr. Hennessey, Paddy's teacher.
3. Describe some of the acts that Paddy and his friends committed that shows they were the town's troublemakers.
4. Using details from the text, describe how Paddy is stuck between being a child and becoming a teenager.
5. Describe Paddy and Sinbad's relationship using examples from the text to support your answer.
6. What action during the family picnic causes Paddy to ruin Sinbad's biscuits? How does Paddy ruin the biscuits?
7. Using details from the text, describe how Paddy's fort under the table is an indication that Paddy still wants to be a child.
8. Paddy and his family go on a picnic. Describe how the picnic went and the general atmosphere of the picnic from Paddy's point-of-view.
9. What happens when Paddy and his father go to the library?
10. What happens to Paddy one day after they watch a Three Stooges movie at school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is written without chapters. As a reader, is it easier to predict what will happen next in a novel if there are chapters? Use class discussion to help support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How are the elements of conflict presented in the novel? Is Paddy the only character that has a conflict or are there others? Use details from the class discussion and the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
10-year-old Paddy has amazing insights regarding his parents' various behaviors and mannerisms. Using details from the text, describe some of the behaviorisms that Paddy noted about his ma and da. Are there any other characters that Paddy picked up the mannerisms of?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)