|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who falls asleep one day when Mr. Hennessey tells the class to lay their heads down so he can talk to another teacher?
2. Where does the Clarke family eat their picnic meal?
3. Who owns a farm that Paddy and his friends enjoy playing in?
4. What does Paddy read that causes him to fear World War III?
5. What does Paddy pick as his pet when he has to write about his favorite pet in a homework assignment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using details from the text to support your answer, describe Mr. Hennessey, Paddy's teacher.
2. What happens to Paddy one day after they watch a Three Stooges movie at school?
3. When does Paddy's da usually teach Paddy new songs and what are some of the songs Paddy's father taught him?
4. Why doesn't Paddy ever answer Kevin's questions?
5. Describe Paddy's relationship with his two sisters, Catherine and Deirdre.
6. Describe the ceremony that Paddy and his friends sometimes played on Fridays.
7. What happens when Paddy and his father go to the library?
8. Describe Paddy's relationship with his da.
9. Describe the scene that ensues after the first two boys leave the nurse's office after having their marks checked.
10. Describe Paddy and Sinbad's relationship using examples from the text to support your answer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A major plot point in the story is Paddy's parents' relationship. What is their relationship like and how does it affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
Using details and elements discussed in the class and in the text, describe how abuse was a central part of the plot. Is there only one abuser? How does abuse affect the relationships between the characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How does Paddy wanting to run away become a central plot element? How does Paddy prepare to run away and are there any holes in his plan? Use details from the class discussion and text to help support your answer.
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)