|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paddy use to choke Brian Sheridan with while the boys are waiting to have their marks checked?
2. What item does Paddy prefer for starting fires?
3. What is one of the issues that Paddy and his da like to discuss?
4. What do the boys steal from a building site at the start of the novel?
5. Who forbids Joseph de Veuster to become a priest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Paddy's relationship with his two sisters, Catherine and Deirdre.
2. How does Paddy react when he is stung by a jellyfish?
3. What are some of the rumors Paddy and his friends heard about the death of Sean Rickard? What actually killed Sean?
4. Using details from the text, describe what it was like taking a family photo in the Clarke household.
5. Why doesn't Paddy ever answer Kevin's questions?
6. Describe Paddy and Sinbad's relationship using examples from the text to support your answer.
7. What happens to Kevin's brother when he gets into big trouble?
8. What happens when Paddy and his father go to the library?
9. When does Paddy's da usually teach Paddy new songs and what are some of the songs Paddy's father taught him?
10. Describe some of the acts that Paddy and his friends committed that shows they were the town's troublemakers.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Paddy's relationship with his ma. Do they have a good relationship? Why/Why not? Why does Paddy feel that his ma is the best ma in the neighborhood?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story Paddy often tells lies. What are some of the lies Paddy tells? Later in the story Paddy explains why he lies. Using details from the text and classroom discussion, explain why Paddy likes to make up stories that are not true.
Essay Topic 3
A major plot point in the story is Paddy's parents' relationship. What is their relationship like and how does it affect the story?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)