|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the water bottle that Paddy receives for Christmas?
2. Whose questions does Paddy never rush to answer?
3. What does Paddy use to choke Brian Sheridan with while the boys are waiting to have their marks checked?
4. What is blocking the pipe at the Clarke house that causes the drain to become clogged?
5. What do the boys like to write their names in at the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using details from the text to support your answer, describe Mr. Hennessey, Paddy's teacher.
2. Describe Paddy's relationship with his two sisters, Catherine and Deirdre.
3. Describe Paddy's relationship with his ma.
4. Describe the ceremony that Paddy and his friends sometimes played on Fridays.
5. Using details from the text, describe how Paddy is stuck between being a child and becoming a teenager.
6. How does Paddy react when he is stung by a jellyfish?
7. Paddy states in the novel that the story of Father Damien was the best story Paddy ever read. Why does Paddy enjoy this story?
8. On some Fridays, Paddy's school would show a movie for the end of the day. What usually happened when the movies were shown?
9. Using details from the text, describe what happens when Paddy and Kevin enter the nurse's office to have their marks checked.
10. Describe Paddy's relationship with his da.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of Paddy's fears? How does fear play a central role in the novel? Are Paddy's fears substantial or just trivial?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Paddy's relationship with his da. Do they have a good relationship? Why or why not? How does Paddy's relationship with his da compare to the relationship Liam/Aidan have with their da? What similarities do Paddy and his da share?
Essay Topic 3
How does Paddy wanting to run away become a central plot element? How does Paddy prepare to run away and are there any holes in his plan? Use details from the class discussion and text to help support your answer.
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)