|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What personal element do Paddy and his da have in common?
2. Who is the main character of the novel?
3. Where do Paddy and his family have a picnic shortly after they purchase their new car?
4. What does Paddy pick as his pet when he has to write about his favorite pet in a homework assignment?
5. What chore must Paddy do every Sunday before Mass?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Paddy's relationship with his ma.
2. Describe some of the acts that Paddy and his friends committed that shows they were the town's troublemakers.
3. What happens to Kevin's brother when he gets into big trouble?
4. Using details from the text, describe what happens when Paddy and Kevin enter the nurse's office to have their marks checked.
5. What are some of the random facts that Paddy tells the reader he learned from reading?
6. Paddy states in the novel that the story of Father Damien was the best story Paddy ever read. Why does Paddy enjoy this story?
7. Describe the ceremony that Paddy and his friends sometimes played on Fridays.
8. Describe Paddy's relationship with his da.
9. On some Fridays, Paddy's school would show a movie for the end of the day. What usually happened when the movies were shown?
10. When does Paddy's da usually teach Paddy new songs and what are some of the songs Paddy's father taught him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the elements of conflict presented in the novel? Is Paddy the only character that has a conflict or are there others? Use details from the class discussion and the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Paddy's relationship with his friends. Do they have a solid relationship? Use details from class discussion and the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Growing up, Paddy can often hear his parents fighting. At first the fights are few and far between, but as the novel progress the fights become more frequent and violent. Describe how Paddy tries to stop the fighting and why Paddy is conflicted by the fights.
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)