|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Paddy and his friends call their teacher?
2. How does Paddy's ma fasten Paddy's trousers when she cannot zip them?
3. What personal element do Paddy and his da have in common?
4. On whose pillar does Kevin draw a mickey?
5. What does Paddy read that causes him to fear World War III?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the acts that Paddy and his friends committed that shows they were the town's troublemakers.
2. On some Fridays, Paddy's school would show a movie for the end of the day. What usually happened when the movies were shown?
3. Where does the Clarke family go for Sinbad's Holy Communion and what happens when they are there?
4. Using details from the text, describe how Paddy is stuck between being a child and becoming a teenager.
5. Describe the scene that ensues after the first two boys leave the nurse's office after having their marks checked.
6. Describe the ceremony that Paddy and his friends sometimes played on Fridays.
7. Why doesn't Paddy ever answer Kevin's questions?
8. Describe Paddy's relationship with his ma.
9. Using details from the text to support your answer, describe Mr. Hennessey, Paddy's teacher.
10. What happens when Paddy and his father go to the library?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Paddy's relationship with his friends. Do they have a solid relationship? Use details from class discussion and the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Paddy's relationship with his da. Do they have a good relationship? Why or why not? How does Paddy's relationship with his da compare to the relationship Liam/Aidan have with their da? What similarities do Paddy and his da share?
Essay Topic 3
Paddy changes throughout the story. In what ways does Paddy change? Does his change represent the elements in his life that he has no control over or is his change typical child development?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)