Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What physical activity that the boys at Paddy's school use to hurt each other is banned by the headmaster?
2. Who does Paddy's da blame when the Clarke family's drain gets blocked once?
3. What does Paddy's mother put on the sting that Paddy received while he was swimming?
4. Where does Paddy sometimes sit for hours?
5. What item does Paddy's father own that is in a red box?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paddy feel about Americans fighting guerrillas?
2. What happens to Paddy one day after they watch a Three Stooges movie at school?
3. What errand must Paddy run for Mr. Hennessey and what does Paddy do with his reward?
4. On some Fridays, Paddy's school would show a movie for the end of the day. What usually happened when the movies were shown?
5. Describe the fight between Paddy and his new classmate.
6. How does Paddy react to Sinbad's reaction to the food offering?
7. Paddy states in the novel that the story of Father Damien was the best story Paddy ever read. Why does Paddy enjoy this story?
8. How could Paddy tell that his da is drunk?
9. Describe what happens when Paddy discovers a signature in a book given to him by his father.
10. What are some of the random facts that Paddy tells the reader he learned from reading?
Essay Topic 1
Paddy changes throughout the story. In what ways does Paddy change? Does his change represent the elements in his life that he has no control over or is his change typical child development?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term diction and describe how it affects the novel.
Essay Topic 3
How are the elements of conflict presented in the novel? Is Paddy the only character that has a conflict or are there others? Use details from the class discussion and the text to support your answers.
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)