|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what construction material do Paddy and his friends sometimes play?
(b) Empty houses.
2. How does Paddy's ma fasten Paddy's trousers when she cannot zip them?
(a) By sewing the sides together.
(b) By using elastic.
(c) She uses a belt to hold the sides together.
(d) With a safety pin.
3. What Native American weapon does Paddy make?
(a) A tomahawk.
(b) An arrow.
(c) Paddy does not make a weapon.
(d) An Apache flop-head club.
4. Who is the main character of the novel?
(a) Paddy Clarke.
(b) James O'Keefe.
(d) Sinbad Clarke.
5. What does Paddy want his vocation to be?
(a) Shop owner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the issues that Paddy and his da like to discuss?
2. What do the O'Connell's eat at every lunch?
3. What item does Paddy's father own that is in a red box?
4. When Paddy is swimming at the beginning of the novel, what is he stung by?
5. What group of priests does Joseph join?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Kevin's brother when he gets into big trouble?
2. Using details from the text, describe how Paddy's fort under the table is an indication that Paddy still wants to be a child.
3. Paddy and his family go on a picnic. Describe how the picnic went and the general atmosphere of the picnic from Paddy's point-of-view.
4. What happens to Paddy one day after they watch a Three Stooges movie at school?
5. Paddy states in the novel that the story of Father Damien was the best story Paddy ever read. Why does Paddy enjoy this story?
6. Describe Paddy's relationship with his two sisters, Catherine and Deirdre.
7. How does Paddy react when he is stung by a jellyfish?
8. What action during the family picnic causes Paddy to ruin Sinbad's biscuits? How does Paddy ruin the biscuits?
9. Using details from the text, describe what happens when Paddy and Kevin enter the nurse's office to have their marks checked.
10. Describe the ceremony that Paddy and his friends sometimes played on Fridays.
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)