|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Dirk land the helicopter after evacuating the Martha Ann?
(a) Hickam Field airport.
(b) The military hospital on Oahu.
(c) The neatly manicured front lawn of ADM Hunter's home.
(d) Pearl Harbor.
2. Who is Al Giordino?
(a) ADM Sandecker's boss.
(b) The Assistant Special Projects Director at NUMA.
(c) An adventurer for hire.
(d) The owner of a charter plane company on Hawaii.
3. What smell does Dirk suddenly recognize as the fog begins to envelop the Martha Ann?
(c) Melting plastic.
4. What is holding the Starbuck down?
(a) Seafloor suction.
(b) Lack of power.
(c) Chains Delphi used to anchor her.
(d) Lack of ballast.
5. Who does Dirk report the attack on Adrian to?
(a) The Pearl Harbor Shore Patrol.
(b) ADM Hunter.
(c) The Honolulu police.
(d) The hotel security team.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is "Big Daddy?"
2. How many of "Them" are on the Starbuck according to SN Farris?
3. What threat does Dirk face being left behind as as the others ride the air bubble from the Starbuck's escape hatch to the surface?
4. How many of Them attack Dirk and Adrian?
5. What makes the fog associated with the Pacific Vortex so odd?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dirk reinforce his disregard for authority upon return from the Pacific Vortex with the crew of the Martha Ann?
2. When Dirk discovers LCDR Boland has been stabbed with a spear, he decides the spear must come out. What is standard first aid procedure for puncture/impalement wounds and why and how does Dirk deviate from it?
3. What is Delphi's plan for the Starbuck?
4. What does Dirk fear lays in store for the Martha Ann? What information is he now armed with that may help? What does he still not know that could be fatal?
5. How is the scent of the eucalyptus oil explained? How does it support the theory of the seamount?
6. What are ADM Hunter and Dirk Pitt's differing opinions on Adrian?
7. How do Dirk and LCDR Boland differ over how to wage battle against the men from the sea as they face impending attack on the Martha Ann?
8. How do Summer's divided loyalties express themselves in their final moments in the doomed seamount as the missiles hit and the mountain begins to crumble?
9. There are three operations, with different codenames going on simultaneously in Chapter 16. What are their different codenames and objectives?
10. It is evident that Seaman First Class Farris could never have been any help to Delphi's cause or mission, however, Delphi keeps him alive, in spite of admitting to Dirk that Farris is "a minor miscalculation." What might be some reasons for this?
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)