|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is "Big Daddy?"
(a) The group of Navy SEALS on the rescue team.
(b) Code-name for ADM Hunter back in Pearl Harbor.
(c) Code-name for the Starbuck rescue team.
(d) Dirk's nickname for Al Giordino.
2. How does Dirk finally break Delphi's facade of cool indifference?
(a) By calling him out as a phony.
(b) By pretending not to know Al.
(c) By insulting Summer.
(d) By refusing to acknowledge his own danger and physical suffering.
3. How many of "Them" are on the Starbuck according to SN Farris?
(a) One on duty, one resting.
(b) Two guards at all times.
(d) Three guards and a radio-man.
4. Who wakes up Dirk after he reaches his hotel room and falls asleep after leaving the hospital?
(a) ADM Hunter.
(b) CAPT Orl Cinana.
(c) Adrian Hunter.
(d) ADM Sandecker.
5. What does Roblemann invent?
(a) An underwater pump system big enough for a seamount.
(b) A combination gill-lung that surgically attached to a human's chest.
(c) A gene therapy that would allow humans to develop webbed hands and feet.
(d) A prosthetic fin for human use.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Starbuck break free of the ocean floor?
2. What kind of shark meets Al as he speeds towards the surface with Adrian?
3. Who are the two men waiting for Dirk in the torpedo room as he tries to escape the submarine with SN Farris?
4. What argument does Summer use to convince Delphi not to shoot Al and Dirk inside the seamount?
5. How does Adrian escape when the men from the sea come ashore and kill her friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Dirk and LCDR Boland differ over how to wage battle against the men from the sea as they face impending attack on the Martha Ann?
2. What does Dirk fear lays in store for the Martha Ann? What information is he now armed with that may help? What does he still not know that could be fatal?
3. What is Delphi's plan for the Starbuck?
4. What does Delphi say is his main objective? What does Dirk say is Delphi's main objective?
5. In both Chapters 9 and 10, Dirk endeavors to get his way by assuring the Naval men that he "will take full responsibility." Why does this seem to be the easiest way for Dirk to gain their compliance?
6. How does Pitt know that the Martha Ann is out of radio contact with the world?
7. How does LCDR Crowhaven's attitude change from his frame of mind on the plane, once he is within sight of the submarine and Dirk lets him know that this is where he [Dirk] gets off?
8. Why does Dirk flood the Starbuck's torpedo compartment?
9. When Dirk discovers LCDR Boland has been stabbed with a spear, he decides the spear must come out. What is standard first aid procedure for puncture/impalement wounds and why and how does Dirk deviate from it?
10. How does Dirk reinforce his disregard for authority upon return from the Pacific Vortex with the crew of the Martha Ann?
This section contains 1,278 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)