|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the rescue team tracking the submarine's location?
(a) Following the line of the flag buoy Boland left in place.
(b) Using a chart and the geo-coordinates Boland marked.
(c) Using the electronic marker Boland placed from the Martha Ann.
(d) Using a metal detector.
2. What is the rescue schedule for the Starbuck when Dirk, Al and the Navy team return to the Pacifc Vortex?
(a) Four and a half hours.
(b) Two hours and 45 minutes.
(c) 10 hours.
(d) 90 minutes.
3. How long has the giant with the golden eyes been keeping tabs on Dirk's activities?
(a) Since the day he picked up the capsule.
(b) For the last twenty-four hours.
4. What does Boland want Dirk to do before the invasion of the Martha Ann begins?
(a) Take the helo and report to ADM Hunter.
(b) Get him and his crew off the ship.
(c) Help him arm the crew.
(d) Help him scuttle the Martha Ann.
5. Why is Dirk's and Al's mission time-critical?
(a) Because they will run out of air.
(b) Because Dirk is afraid Summer will be killed.
(c) Because Delphi may escape.
(d) Because the plan is to blow up the seamount and the end of the planned time, whether or not the rescue succeeds.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dirk discover LT March after he realizes they are not alone on the submarine?
2. Where does Dirk land the helicopter after evacuating the Martha Ann?
3. What two scientists does Dirk report to when he arrives at Pearl Harbor after the attack in his hotel room?
4. When Dirk meets Delphi in his underwater caves, how much time is left before the seamount explodes?
5. Why does the giant with the golden eyes select Dirk to be the messenger of the capsule?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during Dirk's final radio transmission from the C-5airplane before they touch down on the surface of the ocean? what does it mean for their rescue mission?
2. In both Chapters 9 and 10, Dirk endeavors to get his way by assuring the Naval men that he "will take full responsibility." Why does this seem to be the easiest way for Dirk to gain their compliance?
3. Who or what is Selma Snoop?
4. How does LCDR Crowhaven's attitude change from his frame of mind on the plane, once he is within sight of the submarine and Dirk lets him know that this is where he [Dirk] gets off?
5. How do Summer's divided loyalties express themselves in their final moments in the doomed seamount as the missiles hit and the mountain begins to crumble?
6. What are the two most important words in the English language according to Dirk? How do they serve Dirk in the battle with the men from the sea in his hotel room?
7. How does LCDR Crowhaven get in touch with Pearl Harbor in spite of Delphi's lock on their radio transmissions? What is the code he uses to communicate with ADM Hunter over the open wires?
8. It is evident that Seaman First Class Farris could never have been any help to Delphi's cause or mission, however, Delphi keeps him alive, in spite of admitting to Dirk that Farris is "a minor miscalculation." What might be some reasons for this?
9. How is the scent of the eucalyptus oil explained? How does it support the theory of the seamount?
10. In his description of the attack, Dirk notices something significant that could immeasurably assist the crew of the Martha Ann to prevent the boarding of the men from the sea. What is it and how could it be turned into an opportunity for the crew?
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)