|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What smell does Dirk suddenly recognize as the fog begins to envelop the Martha Ann?
(a) Melting plastic.
2. What two scientists does Dirk report to when he arrives at Pearl Harbor after the attack in his hotel room?
(a) Doctors Ford and Newce.
(b) Doctors Lavella and Roblemann.
(c) Doctors Trinidad and Goldman.
(d) Doctors Chrysler and York.
3. How does Al prevent Delphi's gun from killing Dirk?
(a) He puts his finger between the hammer and the striker pin.
(b) He sticks his finger in the gun barrel.
(c) He jams the trigger, preventing it from being pulled back.
(d) He secretly unloads the ammunition when Delphi is distracted.
4. How is the rescue team tracking the submarine's location?
(a) Following the line of the flag buoy Boland left in place.
(b) Using the electronic marker Boland placed from the Martha Ann.
(c) Using a metal detector.
(d) Using a chart and the geo-coordinates Boland marked.
5. How does Adrian escape when the men from the sea come ashore and kill her friend?
(a) Through a two-way closet.
(b) Through a trapdoor under the bed.
(c) Out the window.
(d) Through a connecting bathroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two men waiting for Dirk in the torpedo room as he tries to escape the submarine with SN Farris?
2. How many of "Them" are on the Starbuck according to SN Farris?
3. Who is Al Giordino?
4. What is holding the Starbuck down?
5. How long has the giant with the golden eyes been keeping tabs on Dirk's activities?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who or what is Selma Snoop?
2. Why does Dirk flood the Starbuck's torpedo compartment?
3. What happens during Dirk's final radio transmission from the C-5airplane before they touch down on the surface of the ocean? what does it mean for their rescue mission?
4. There are three operations, with different codenames going on simultaneously in Chapter 16. What are their different codenames and objectives?
5. In his description of the attack, Dirk notices something significant that could immeasurably assist the crew of the Martha Ann to prevent the boarding of the men from the sea. What is it and how could it be turned into an opportunity for the crew?
6. How does Dirk reinforce his disregard for authority upon return from the Pacific Vortex with the crew of the Martha Ann?
7. What does Dirk fear lays in store for the Martha Ann? What information is he now armed with that may help? What does he still not know that could be fatal?
8. What changes ADM Hunter's mind about obeying the destroy orders from the joint Chiefs in Washington D.C.?
9. What is unexpected and distinctly suspicious about the fog that suddenly overwhelms the Martha Ann? What kinds of conditions are required to create fog?
10. What does LT Robert Buckmaster discover at the old Army installation, which supposedly belongs to Delphi that partially explains the entirely unexpected fierce resistance to Marine's invasion? How might this situation have come to be?
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)