|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lavella?
(a) A geologist who specialized in underwater topography.
(b) A mathematician who specialized in ocean current prediction.
(c) A marine biologist who specialized in gill evolution.
(d) A physicist who specialized in hydrology.
2. Who is Henry Fujima?
(a) A friend of George Papaaloa.
(b) A Hawaiian historian who tells Dirk about tuna fishing in the Pacific.
(c) The doctor who takes charge of SN Farris back at Pearl Harbor.
(d) A Hawaiian fisherman who is run over by a ship in the beginning of Chapter 12.
3. How many men escape with Dirk on the helicopter from the Martha Ann?
(c) All of them plus Farris.
4. How does Dirk finally break Delphi's facade of cool indifference?
(a) By pretending not to know Al.
(b) By insulting Summer.
(c) By calling him out as a phony.
(d) By refusing to acknowledge his own danger and physical suffering.
5. What does Roblemann invent?
(a) A prosthetic fin for human use.
(b) An underwater pump system big enough for a seamount.
(c) A combination gill-lung that surgically attached to a human's chest.
(d) A gene therapy that would allow humans to develop webbed hands and feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Martha Ann has 20 feet of freeboard, making attack from the surface difficult according to LCDR Boland. What is freeboard?
2. Why is Dirk's and Al's mission time-critical?
3. Why doesn't Pearl Harbor know what has been happening with the Martha Ann and the finding of the Starbuck intact?
4. What causes the current that injures Dirk and Al?
5. What is the Joint Chiefs' decision on what to do with the Starbuck?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does LCDR Crowhaven get in touch with Pearl Harbor in spite of Delphi's lock on their radio transmissions? What is the code he uses to communicate with ADM Hunter over the open wires?
2. In his description of the attack, Dirk notices something significant that could immeasurably assist the crew of the Martha Ann to prevent the boarding of the men from the sea. What is it and how could it be turned into an opportunity for the crew?
3. What does LT Robert Buckmaster discover at the old Army installation, which supposedly belongs to Delphi that partially explains the entirely unexpected fierce resistance to Marine's invasion? How might this situation have come to be?
4. How do Summer's divided loyalties express themselves in their final moments in the doomed seamount as the missiles hit and the mountain begins to crumble?
5. How does Pitt know that the Martha Ann is out of radio contact with the world?
6. When Dirk discovers LCDR Boland has been stabbed with a spear, he decides the spear must come out. What is standard first aid procedure for puncture/impalement wounds and why and how does Dirk deviate from it?
7. How is the scent of the eucalyptus oil explained? How does it support the theory of the seamount?
8. What does Delphi say is his main objective? What does Dirk say is Delphi's main objective?
9. In both Chapters 9 and 10, Dirk endeavors to get his way by assuring the Naval men that he "will take full responsibility." Why does this seem to be the easiest way for Dirk to gain their compliance?
10. What are the two most important words in the English language according to Dirk? How do they serve Dirk in the battle with the men from the sea in his hotel room?
This section contains 1,419 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)