|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first visible evidence of the real nature of "Them?"
(a) The guard that Dirk kills turns out to be a normal human man.
(b) The man Dirk kills appears to have evolved gills.
(c) Dirk finds evidence of human habitation in the crew's quarters.
(d) Dirk sees a shadow outline of one which appears to have a tail and webbed feet.
2. Which friend of her father's does Adrian admit to Dirk she has been sleeping with?
(a) CDR Denver.
(b) ADM Sandecker.
(c) LCDR Boland.
(d) CAPT Cinana.
3. What makes the fog associated with the Pacific Vortex so odd?
(a) There is a thick almost oily texture to the mist.
(b) The color is wrong.
(c) The weather conditions are wrong for fog.
(d) There is nothing odd or different about it, other than its there.
4. How many of Delphi's men does Crowhaven's team kill?
5. What does Dirk do for Al's injured hand?
(b) He wraps it in seaweed.
(c) He uses a scrap of Summer's dress to make a tourniquet.
(d) He gives him his swim trunks as a bandage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the plan for the plane the rescue team flies out to the Pacific Vortex?
2. How does Dirk finally break Delphi's facade of cool indifference?
3. What does "noncom" mean as it is used in the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. Who wakes up Dirk after he reaches his hotel room and falls asleep after leaving the hospital?
5. What happens to the radio communications between Big Daddy and the Kid?
Short Essay Questions
1. There are three operations, with different codenames going on simultaneously in Chapter 16. What are their different codenames and objectives?
2. What happens during Dirk's final radio transmission from the C-5airplane before they touch down on the surface of the ocean? what does it mean for their rescue mission?
3. How does LCDR Crowhaven's attitude change from his frame of mind on the plane, once he is within sight of the submarine and Dirk lets him know that this is where he [Dirk] gets off?
4. What changes ADM Hunter's mind about obeying the destroy orders from the joint Chiefs in Washington D.C.?
5. What are the two most important words in the English language according to Dirk? How do they serve Dirk in the battle with the men from the sea in his hotel room?
6. What does Dirk fear lays in store for the Martha Ann? What information is he now armed with that may help? What does he still not know that could be fatal?
7. How does Pitt know that the Martha Ann is out of radio contact with the world?
8. What is unexpected and distinctly suspicious about the fog that suddenly overwhelms the Martha Ann? What kinds of conditions are required to create fog?
9. Who or what is Selma Snoop?
10. How do Summer's divided loyalties express themselves in their final moments in the doomed seamount as the missiles hit and the mountain begins to crumble?
This section contains 1,370 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)