|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes the current that injures Dirk and Al?
(a) Natural underwater river.
(b) Underwater vortex suction.
(c) Delphi's protective current barrier, similar in function to a moat around a castle.
(d) Power turbine's exhaust current.
2. How does Crowhaven manage to get in touch with ADM Hunter?
(a) Using Morse code through a late night ham radio operator.
(b) By calling the Coast Guard.
(c) Via the NWS weather radio frequency.
(d) Via a commercial radio station in Honolulu.
3. What does Dirk do for Al's injured hand?
(b) He wraps it in seaweed.
(c) He gives him his swim trunks as a bandage.
(d) He uses a scrap of Summer's dress to make a tourniquet.
4. What does Dirk omit from his report on the fight against Them in his hotel room?
(a) His anticipation of the attack.
(b) Summer's involvement.
(c) The plan to make his death look accidental.
(d) Adrian's story.
5. What new ship do Dirk and Al discover while on their underwater mission?
(a) The Andrei Vyborg.
(b) An unknown Japanese submarine.
(c) The Hans Zimmer.
(d) The Sampan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Summer?
2. Which friend of her father's does Adrian admit to Dirk she has been sleeping with?
3. Why does the giant with the golden eyes select Dirk to be the messenger of the capsule?
4. What two scientists does Dirk report to when he arrives at Pearl Harbor after the attack in his hotel room?
5. What does SN Farris tell Dirk "They" will do if he uses the radio?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the scent of the eucalyptus oil explained? How does it support the theory of the seamount?
2. What are the two most important words in the English language according to Dirk? How do they serve Dirk in the battle with the men from the sea in his hotel room?
3. Who or what is Selma Snoop?
4. What is Delphi's plan for the Starbuck?
5. How do Summer's divided loyalties express themselves in their final moments in the doomed seamount as the missiles hit and the mountain begins to crumble?
6. What is unexpected and distinctly suspicious about the fog that suddenly overwhelms the Martha Ann? What kinds of conditions are required to create fog?
7. There are three operations, with different codenames going on simultaneously in Chapter 16. What are their different codenames and objectives?
8. It is evident that Seaman First Class Farris could never have been any help to Delphi's cause or mission, however, Delphi keeps him alive, in spite of admitting to Dirk that Farris is "a minor miscalculation." What might be some reasons for this?
9. How does Pitt know that the Martha Ann is out of radio contact with the world?
10. What does LT Robert Buckmaster discover at the old Army installation, which supposedly belongs to Delphi that partially explains the entirely unexpected fierce resistance to Marine's invasion? How might this situation have come to be?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)