|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes the fog associated with the Pacific Vortex so odd?
(a) There is a thick almost oily texture to the mist.
(b) There is nothing odd or different about it, other than its there.
(c) The color is wrong.
(d) The weather conditions are wrong for fog.
2. What happens to the radio communications between Big Daddy and the Kid?
(a) Delphi's transmitter intercepts the signal.
(b) Kid's radio fails.
(c) The signal is lost due to an electrical storm.
(d) ADM Hunter makes an executive decision to maintain radio silence until the final hour.
3. What is the plan for the plane the rescue team flies out to the Pacific Vortex?
(a) Al will drop the team and then fly in circles around the site until the pick-up signal is given.
(b) The plane is a red-herring to make Delphi think they arrived that way. The real underwater rescue team is arriving by submarine.
(c) Ditch it in the water such that the crew manages to survive and the plane still floats.
(d) The team will skydive from it into the drop zone and let the plane crash wherever it lands.
4. How does SN Farris react to the battle raging around him on the Martha Ann?
(a) He engages in the gun battle, relieved to be able to vent some of his anger at the men from the sea.
(b) He is having a panic attack as he relives the horror of what happened to the
(c) He is dazedly unconcerned, almost disconnected from reality.
(d) He is asleep.
5. Who does Dirk report the attack on Adrian to?
(a) The hotel security team.
(b) ADM Hunter.
(c) The Honolulu police.
(d) The Pearl Harbor Shore Patrol.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Delphi's relationship to Frederick Moran?
2. How long has the giant with the golden eyes been keeping tabs on Dirk's activities?
3. Who has been Delphi's informant in the Navy?
4. Who is Lavella?
5. Who is Summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the scent of the eucalyptus oil explained? How does it support the theory of the seamount?
2. What are the two most important words in the English language according to Dirk? How do they serve Dirk in the battle with the men from the sea in his hotel room?
3. Who or what is Selma Snoop?
4. What does Delphi say is his main objective? What does Dirk say is Delphi's main objective?
5. What does Dirk fear lays in store for the Martha Ann? What information is he now armed with that may help? What does he still not know that could be fatal?
6. Besides Dirk's lost love, what does Summer represent to the Navy and why would it have been important to rescue her?
7. There are three operations, with different codenames going on simultaneously in Chapter 16. What are their different codenames and objectives?
8. How does LCDR Crowhaven get in touch with Pearl Harbor in spite of Delphi's lock on their radio transmissions? What is the code he uses to communicate with ADM Hunter over the open wires?
9. In both Chapters 9 and 10, Dirk endeavors to get his way by assuring the Naval men that he "will take full responsibility." Why does this seem to be the easiest way for Dirk to gain their compliance?
10. How does LCDR Crowhaven's attitude change from his frame of mind on the plane, once he is within sight of the submarine and Dirk lets him know that this is where he [Dirk] gets off?
This section contains 1,287 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)