|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Henry Fujima?
(a) A friend of George Papaaloa.
(b) A Hawaiian fisherman who is run over by a ship in the beginning of Chapter 12.
(c) The doctor who takes charge of SN Farris back at Pearl Harbor.
(d) A Hawaiian historian who tells Dirk about tuna fishing in the Pacific.
2. What does Dirk omit from his report on the fight against Them in his hotel room?
(a) Adrian's story.
(b) The plan to make his death look accidental.
(c) His anticipation of the attack.
(d) Summer's involvement.
3. Who is LT Robert Buckmaster?
(a) Crowhaven's nav officer.
(b) The Marine officer in charge of taking the transmitter station.
(c) A former navy officer who defected to Delphi.
(d) Head of Shore Patrol at Pearl Harbor.
4. What does Dirk discover on the bodies of two the men from the sea that he kills?
(a) Webbed hands and feet.
(b) A small plastic box adhered to their chests.
(c) Green skin and hair.
5. How does Dirk discover LT March after he realizes they are not alone on the submarine?
(a) Wounded, he's been stabbed.
(b) Dirk cannot find him.
(c) Dead, he's been shot.
(d) Hiding and wounded.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Summer?
2. What does Dirk do for Al's injured hand?
3. What does "noncom" mean as it is used in the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. How long has the giant with the golden eyes been keeping tabs on Dirk's activities?
5. Why doesn't Pearl Harbor know what has been happening with the Martha Ann and the finding of the Starbuck intact?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does LT Robert Buckmaster discover at the old Army installation, which supposedly belongs to Delphi that partially explains the entirely unexpected fierce resistance to Marine's invasion? How might this situation have come to be?
2. What does Delphi say is his main objective? What does Dirk say is Delphi's main objective?
3. Who or what is Selma Snoop?
4. What happens during Dirk's final radio transmission from the C-5airplane before they touch down on the surface of the ocean? what does it mean for their rescue mission?
5. How do Dirk and LCDR Boland differ over how to wage battle against the men from the sea as they face impending attack on the Martha Ann?
6. What are ADM Hunter and Dirk Pitt's differing opinions on Adrian?
7. What is Delphi's plan for the Starbuck?
8. How does Dirk reinforce his disregard for authority upon return from the Pacific Vortex with the crew of the Martha Ann?
9. How is the scent of the eucalyptus oil explained? How does it support the theory of the seamount?
10. What is unexpected and distinctly suspicious about the fog that suddenly overwhelms the Martha Ann? What kinds of conditions are required to create fog?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)