|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What threat does Dirk face being left behind as as the others ride the air bubble from the Starbuck's escape hatch to the surface?
(a) One of Them coming to relieve the previous guards.
(b) Running out of air before he can reach the surface.
(c) A great white shark.
(d) A hammerhead shark.
2. How does Al prevent Delphi's gun from killing Dirk?
(a) He jams the trigger, preventing it from being pulled back.
(b) He puts his finger between the hammer and the striker pin.
(c) He secretly unloads the ammunition when Delphi is distracted.
(d) He sticks his finger in the gun barrel.
3. Who is LT Robert Buckmaster?
(a) The Marine officer in charge of taking the transmitter station.
(b) A former navy officer who defected to Delphi.
(c) Head of Shore Patrol at Pearl Harbor.
(d) Crowhaven's nav officer.
4. What argument does Summer use to convince Delphi not to shoot Al and Dirk inside the seamount?
(a) That she loves Dirk.
(b) That the blood will stain the floor.
(c) That he should not being death and bloodshed within his home.
(d) That she's afraid of guns.
5. Who is "Big Daddy?"
(a) Dirk's nickname for Al Giordino.
(b) Code-name for ADM Hunter back in Pearl Harbor.
(c) Code-name for the Starbuck rescue team.
(d) The group of Navy SEALS on the rescue team.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of "Them" are on the Starbuck according to SN Farris?
2. What is holding the Starbuck down?
3. What does Dirk direct should be done to the Starbuck's torpedo room as they escape?
4. How many of Them attack Dirk and Adrian?
5. What is the rescue schedule for the Starbuck when Dirk, Al and the Navy team return to the Pacifc Vortex?
Short Essay Questions
1. In both Chapters 9 and 10, Dirk endeavors to get his way by assuring the Naval men that he "will take full responsibility." Why does this seem to be the easiest way for Dirk to gain their compliance?
2. What does Delphi say is his main objective? What does Dirk say is Delphi's main objective?
3. Besides Dirk's lost love, what does Summer represent to the Navy and why would it have been important to rescue her?
4. In his description of the attack, Dirk notices something significant that could immeasurably assist the crew of the Martha Ann to prevent the boarding of the men from the sea. What is it and how could it be turned into an opportunity for the crew?
5. How do Summer's divided loyalties express themselves in their final moments in the doomed seamount as the missiles hit and the mountain begins to crumble?
6. How does Dirk reinforce his disregard for authority upon return from the Pacific Vortex with the crew of the Martha Ann?
7. There are three operations, with different codenames going on simultaneously in Chapter 16. What are their different codenames and objectives?
8. What is Delphi's plan for the Starbuck?
9. What happens during Dirk's final radio transmission from the C-5airplane before they touch down on the surface of the ocean? what does it mean for their rescue mission?
10. How does LCDR Crowhaven get in touch with Pearl Harbor in spite of Delphi's lock on their radio transmissions? What is the code he uses to communicate with ADM Hunter over the open wires?
This section contains 1,228 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)