|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Starbuck break free of the ocean floor?
(b) A sudden cold water upwelling.
(c) Aftershocks from a spontaneous undersea earthquake.
(d) Shock waves from the Monitor's missile strike.
2. Who is Henry Fujima?
(a) A Hawaiian historian who tells Dirk about tuna fishing in the Pacific.
(b) The doctor who takes charge of SN Farris back at Pearl Harbor.
(c) A Hawaiian fisherman who is run over by a ship in the beginning of Chapter 12.
(d) A friend of George Papaaloa.
3. When Dirk meets Delphi in his underwater caves, how much time is left before the seamount explodes?
(a) 15 minutes.
(b) 50 minutes.
(c) Three hours.
(d) One hour.
4. What is Boland's reaction to the news that March is dead?
(a) "I'll tell his mother."
(b) "These things happen."
(c) "This is your fault Dirk."
(d) "How could you let him die?"
5. Who is Summer?
(a) Delphi's wife.
(b) Delphi's daughter.
(c) CAPT Cinana's other mistress.
(d) Adrian's sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dirk discover LT March after he realizes they are not alone on the submarine?
2. What two scientists does Dirk report to when he arrives at Pearl Harbor after the attack in his hotel room?
3. What s the first indication that the Martha Ann is in danger at the beginning of Chapter 11?
4. How does Dirk finally break Delphi's facade of cool indifference?
5. Dirk and Al leave the rescue team to salvage the Starbuck while they go to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. It is evident that Seaman First Class Farris could never have been any help to Delphi's cause or mission, however, Delphi keeps him alive, in spite of admitting to Dirk that Farris is "a minor miscalculation." What might be some reasons for this?
2. When Dirk discovers LCDR Boland has been stabbed with a spear, he decides the spear must come out. What is standard first aid procedure for puncture/impalement wounds and why and how does Dirk deviate from it?
3. How is the scent of the eucalyptus oil explained? How does it support the theory of the seamount?
4. Who or what is Selma Snoop?
5. How does Pitt know that the Martha Ann is out of radio contact with the world?
6. How do Summer's divided loyalties express themselves in their final moments in the doomed seamount as the missiles hit and the mountain begins to crumble?
7. Why does Dirk flood the Starbuck's torpedo compartment?
8. How does LCDR Crowhaven's attitude change from his frame of mind on the plane, once he is within sight of the submarine and Dirk lets him know that this is where he [Dirk] gets off?
9. How does LCDR Crowhaven get in touch with Pearl Harbor in spite of Delphi's lock on their radio transmissions? What is the code he uses to communicate with ADM Hunter over the open wires?
10. There are three operations, with different codenames going on simultaneously in Chapter 16. What are their different codenames and objectives?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)