|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new ship do Dirk and Al discover while on their underwater mission?
(a) The Hans Zimmer.
(b) An unknown Japanese submarine.
(c) The Andrei Vyborg.
(d) The Sampan.
2. How does Adrian escape when the men from the sea come ashore and kill her friend?
(a) Through a two-way closet.
(b) Through a trapdoor under the bed.
(c) Through a connecting bathroom.
(d) Out the window.
3. What argument does Summer use to convince Delphi not to shoot Al and Dirk inside the seamount?
(a) That he should not being death and bloodshed within his home.
(b) That she loves Dirk.
(c) That the blood will stain the floor.
(d) That she's afraid of guns.
4. How many men escape with Dirk on the helicopter from the Martha Ann?
(b) All of them plus Farris.
5. What is the size of the school of fish the Martha Ann's sensors detect as they prepare to escape the Pacific Vortex area?
(a) About 200, roughly 5-7 feet in length each.
(b) About 2,000, roughly 2-3 feet in length each.
(c) About 50, ranging from 3 to 10 feet each.
(d) About 500, all identically sized.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two scientists does Dirk report to when he arrives at Pearl Harbor after the attack in his hotel room?
2. What does Roblemann invent?
3. What does Dirk direct should be done to the Starbuck's torpedo room as they escape?
4. How does Crowhaven manage to get in touch with ADM Hunter?
5. How does Summer escape the seamount?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pitt know that the Martha Ann is out of radio contact with the world?
2. Who or what is Selma Snoop?
3. Besides Dirk's lost love, what does Summer represent to the Navy and why would it have been important to rescue her?
4. What are ADM Hunter and Dirk Pitt's differing opinions on Adrian?
5. What is unexpected and distinctly suspicious about the fog that suddenly overwhelms the Martha Ann? What kinds of conditions are required to create fog?
6. How do Summer's divided loyalties express themselves in their final moments in the doomed seamount as the missiles hit and the mountain begins to crumble?
7. It is evident that Seaman First Class Farris could never have been any help to Delphi's cause or mission, however, Delphi keeps him alive, in spite of admitting to Dirk that Farris is "a minor miscalculation." What might be some reasons for this?
8. Why does Dirk flood the Starbuck's torpedo compartment?
9. When Dirk discovers LCDR Boland has been stabbed with a spear, he decides the spear must come out. What is standard first aid procedure for puncture/impalement wounds and why and how does Dirk deviate from it?
10. What does Dirk fear lays in store for the Martha Ann? What information is he now armed with that may help? What does he still not know that could be fatal?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)