|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dirk finally break Delphi's facade of cool indifference?
(a) By refusing to acknowledge his own danger and physical suffering.
(b) By pretending not to know Al.
(c) By insulting Summer.
(d) By calling him out as a phony.
2. What is holding the Starbuck down?
(a) Lack of ballast.
(b) Lack of power.
(c) Chains Delphi used to anchor her.
(d) Seafloor suction.
3. Who is Lavella?
(a) A physicist who specialized in hydrology.
(b) A marine biologist who specialized in gill evolution.
(c) A mathematician who specialized in ocean current prediction.
(d) A geologist who specialized in underwater topography.
4. Why does Delphi let SN Farris live?
(a) He enjoys torturing the man.
(b) He wants to lure the Navy back with the hopes of a survivor.
(c) He hopes Farris would train his men to work the submarine.
(d) Farris offers to help Delphi.
5. What two scientists does Dirk report to when he arrives at Pearl Harbor after the attack in his hotel room?
(a) Doctors Ford and Newce.
(b) Doctors Chrysler and York.
(c) Doctors Lavella and Roblemann.
(d) Doctors Trinidad and Goldman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dirk finally meet during Their attack on him and Adrian?
2. What is the Joint Chiefs' decision on what to do with the Starbuck?
3. Who does Dirk go in search of before taking off in the helicopter?
4. What replacement weapon does Dirk grab after having expended his single shot weapon?
5. What does Boland want Dirk to do before the invasion of the Martha Ann begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does LT Robert Buckmaster discover at the old Army installation, which supposedly belongs to Delphi that partially explains the entirely unexpected fierce resistance to Marine's invasion? How might this situation have come to be?
2. Who or what is Selma Snoop?
3. It is evident that Seaman First Class Farris could never have been any help to Delphi's cause or mission, however, Delphi keeps him alive, in spite of admitting to Dirk that Farris is "a minor miscalculation." What might be some reasons for this?
4. What happens during Dirk's final radio transmission from the C-5airplane before they touch down on the surface of the ocean? what does it mean for their rescue mission?
5. What are the two most important words in the English language according to Dirk? How do they serve Dirk in the battle with the men from the sea in his hotel room?
6. Why does Dirk flood the Starbuck's torpedo compartment?
7. How do Summer's divided loyalties express themselves in their final moments in the doomed seamount as the missiles hit and the mountain begins to crumble?
8. What does Delphi say is his main objective? What does Dirk say is Delphi's main objective?
9. In his description of the attack, Dirk notices something significant that could immeasurably assist the crew of the Martha Ann to prevent the boarding of the men from the sea. What is it and how could it be turned into an opportunity for the crew?
10. What are ADM Hunter and Dirk Pitt's differing opinions on Adrian?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)