|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "noncom" mean as it is used in the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Not-in-compliance, meaning the person or vessel is not obeying instructions.
(b) Non-communicative, meaning unable or unwilling to speak.
(c) Non-commissioned, meaning not an officer.
(d) Non-commissioned, meaning not an authorized Naval vessel.
2. What is the reason for the eucalyptus oil?
(a) Perfume for the women on the seamount.
(b) It's not eucalyptus but a seaweed that generates the same odor.
(c) Used as fuel for the generators.
(d) Air freshener and dehydrator.
3. Who or what is Mad Chopper?
(a) Dirk's helo crew standing by.
(b) ADM Hunter when he's angry.
(c) LT Buckmaster's team.
(d) Crowhaven's plan B.
4. Why doesn't Pearl Harbor know what has been happening with the Martha Ann and the finding of the Starbuck intact?
(a) The Martha Ann has been using the wrong frequency.
(b) The radios have becomes mysteriously inoperable since they arrived at the Pacific Vortex.
(c) LCDR Boland has not sent any messages.
(d) All radio signals in the area are being jammed.
5. What is holding the Starbuck down?
(a) Seafloor suction.
(b) Chains Delphi used to anchor her.
(c) Lack of ballast.
(d) Lack of power.
Short Answer Questions
1. What s the first indication that the Martha Ann is in danger at the beginning of Chapter 11?
2. What is the Joint Chiefs' decision on what to do with the Starbuck?
3. What new ship do Dirk and Al discover while on their underwater mission?
4. Who are the two men waiting for Dirk in the torpedo room as he tries to escape the submarine with SN Farris?
5. Who arrives on the comm deck as Dirk is communicating to the Martha Ann and LCDR Boland?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does LCDR Crowhaven get in touch with Pearl Harbor in spite of Delphi's lock on their radio transmissions? What is the code he uses to communicate with ADM Hunter over the open wires?
2. What is unexpected and distinctly suspicious about the fog that suddenly overwhelms the Martha Ann? What kinds of conditions are required to create fog?
3. Who or what is Selma Snoop?
4. What happens during Dirk's final radio transmission from the C-5airplane before they touch down on the surface of the ocean? what does it mean for their rescue mission?
5. In his description of the attack, Dirk notices something significant that could immeasurably assist the crew of the Martha Ann to prevent the boarding of the men from the sea. What is it and how could it be turned into an opportunity for the crew?
6. How is the scent of the eucalyptus oil explained? How does it support the theory of the seamount?
7. Besides Dirk's lost love, what does Summer represent to the Navy and why would it have been important to rescue her?
8. How does Dirk reinforce his disregard for authority upon return from the Pacific Vortex with the crew of the Martha Ann?
9. How does LCDR Crowhaven's attitude change from his frame of mind on the plane, once he is within sight of the submarine and Dirk lets him know that this is where he [Dirk] gets off?
10. When Dirk discovers LCDR Boland has been stabbed with a spear, he decides the spear must come out. What is standard first aid procedure for puncture/impalement wounds and why and how does Dirk deviate from it?
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)