|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Summer?
(a) CAPT Cinana's other mistress.
(b) Delphi's daughter.
(c) Delphi's wife.
(d) Adrian's sister.
2. Who is LT Robert Buckmaster?
(a) Head of Shore Patrol at Pearl Harbor.
(b) Crowhaven's nav officer.
(c) The Marine officer in charge of taking the transmitter station.
(d) A former navy officer who defected to Delphi.
3. Who does Dirk go in search of before taking off in the helicopter?
(a) More of "Them" to kill.
(b) LCDR Boland.
(c) SN Farris.
(d) The helmsman.
4. Where does Dirk land the helicopter after evacuating the Martha Ann?
(a) The military hospital on Oahu.
(b) Hickam Field airport.
(c) The neatly manicured front lawn of ADM Hunter's home.
(d) Pearl Harbor.
5. What does "noncom" mean as it is used in the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Non-communicative, meaning unable or unwilling to speak.
(b) Not-in-compliance, meaning the person or vessel is not obeying instructions.
(c) Non-commissioned, meaning not an authorized Naval vessel.
(d) Non-commissioned, meaning not an officer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Al Giordino?
2. When Dirk meets Delphi in his underwater caves, how much time is left before the seamount explodes?
3. Dirk and Al leave the rescue team to salvage the Starbuck while they go to do what?
4. Why does the giant with the golden eyes select Dirk to be the messenger of the capsule?
5. What is the first visible evidence of the real nature of "Them?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pitt know that the Martha Ann is out of radio contact with the world?
2. What are ADM Hunter and Dirk Pitt's differing opinions on Adrian?
3. In both Chapters 9 and 10, Dirk endeavors to get his way by assuring the Naval men that he "will take full responsibility." Why does this seem to be the easiest way for Dirk to gain their compliance?
4. How does Dirk reinforce his disregard for authority upon return from the Pacific Vortex with the crew of the Martha Ann?
5. When Dirk discovers LCDR Boland has been stabbed with a spear, he decides the spear must come out. What is standard first aid procedure for puncture/impalement wounds and why and how does Dirk deviate from it?
6. How is the scent of the eucalyptus oil explained? How does it support the theory of the seamount?
7. What changes ADM Hunter's mind about obeying the destroy orders from the joint Chiefs in Washington D.C.?
8. What are the two most important words in the English language according to Dirk? How do they serve Dirk in the battle with the men from the sea in his hotel room?
9. There are three operations, with different codenames going on simultaneously in Chapter 16. What are their different codenames and objectives?
10. What is unexpected and distinctly suspicious about the fog that suddenly overwhelms the Martha Ann? What kinds of conditions are required to create fog?
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)