|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Frederick Moran die?
(a) He kills himself.
(b) He dies of a heart attack at age 76.
(c) He drowns when a pump fails and the tunnel floods.
(d) Delphi shoots him when he becomes too old to serve Delphi's evil purpose any longer.
2. What is the rescue schedule for the Starbuck when Dirk, Al and the Navy team return to the Pacifc Vortex?
(a) 90 minutes.
(b) Two hours and 45 minutes.
(c) Four and a half hours.
(d) 10 hours.
3. Who wakes up Dirk after he reaches his hotel room and falls asleep after leaving the hospital?
(a) CAPT Orl Cinana.
(b) ADM Sandecker.
(c) ADM Hunter.
(d) Adrian Hunter.
4. How does the Starbuck break free of the ocean floor?
(a) Aftershocks from a spontaneous undersea earthquake.
(b) A sudden cold water upwelling.
(d) Shock waves from the Monitor's missile strike.
5. How many of Delphi's men does Crowhaven's team kill?
Short Answer Questions
1. What two scientists does Dirk report to when he arrives at Pearl Harbor after the attack in his hotel room?
2. Which friend of her father's does Adrian admit to Dirk she has been sleeping with?
3. What does Dirk direct should be done to the Starbuck's torpedo room as they escape?
4. What argument does Summer use to convince Delphi not to shoot Al and Dirk inside the seamount?
5. What does "noncom" mean as it is used in the beginning of Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does LCDR Crowhaven's attitude change from his frame of mind on the plane, once he is within sight of the submarine and Dirk lets him know that this is where he [Dirk] gets off?
2. What changes ADM Hunter's mind about obeying the destroy orders from the joint Chiefs in Washington D.C.?
3. How does LCDR Crowhaven get in touch with Pearl Harbor in spite of Delphi's lock on their radio transmissions? What is the code he uses to communicate with ADM Hunter over the open wires?
4. What does Delphi say is his main objective? What does Dirk say is Delphi's main objective?
5. It is evident that Seaman First Class Farris could never have been any help to Delphi's cause or mission, however, Delphi keeps him alive, in spite of admitting to Dirk that Farris is "a minor miscalculation." What might be some reasons for this?
6. How does Dirk reinforce his disregard for authority upon return from the Pacific Vortex with the crew of the Martha Ann?
7. What are ADM Hunter and Dirk Pitt's differing opinions on Adrian?
8. What does LT Robert Buckmaster discover at the old Army installation, which supposedly belongs to Delphi that partially explains the entirely unexpected fierce resistance to Marine's invasion? How might this situation have come to be?
9. When Dirk discovers LCDR Boland has been stabbed with a spear, he decides the spear must come out. What is standard first aid procedure for puncture/impalement wounds and why and how does Dirk deviate from it?
10. How does Pitt know that the Martha Ann is out of radio contact with the world?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)