|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Summer escape the seamount?
(a) She is rescued by the Starbuck .
(b) Dirk carries her to the surface.
(c) She doesn't.
(d) She swims, carrying Dirk who is too injured to move.
2. When Dirk meets Delphi in his underwater caves, how much time is left before the seamount explodes?
(a) 15 minutes.
(b) Three hours.
(c) One hour.
(d) 50 minutes.
3. What does Dirk discover on the bodies of two the men from the sea that he kills?
(a) Green skin and hair.
(c) A small plastic box adhered to their chests.
(d) Webbed hands and feet.
4. What causes the current that injures Dirk and Al?
(a) Underwater vortex suction.
(b) Power turbine's exhaust current.
(c) Natural underwater river.
(d) Delphi's protective current barrier, similar in function to a moat around a castle.
5. How does Frederick Moran die?
(a) He drowns when a pump fails and the tunnel floods.
(b) Delphi shoots him when he becomes too old to serve Delphi's evil purpose any longer.
(c) He dies of a heart attack at age 76.
(d) He kills himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the rescue team tracking the submarine's location?
2. What is in the hypodermic syringe that Summer assaults Dirk with?
3. What does Dirk direct should be done to the Starbuck's torpedo room as they escape?
4. What kind of shark meets Al as he speeds towards the surface with Adrian?
5. Who arrives on the comm deck as Dirk is communicating to the Martha Ann and LCDR Boland?
Short Essay Questions
1. There are three operations, with different codenames going on simultaneously in Chapter 16. What are their different codenames and objectives?
2. How is the scent of the eucalyptus oil explained? How does it support the theory of the seamount?
3. It is evident that Seaman First Class Farris could never have been any help to Delphi's cause or mission, however, Delphi keeps him alive, in spite of admitting to Dirk that Farris is "a minor miscalculation." What might be some reasons for this?
4. How does LCDR Crowhaven get in touch with Pearl Harbor in spite of Delphi's lock on their radio transmissions? What is the code he uses to communicate with ADM Hunter over the open wires?
5. What changes ADM Hunter's mind about obeying the destroy orders from the joint Chiefs in Washington D.C.?
6. What does Delphi say is his main objective? What does Dirk say is Delphi's main objective?
7. What does Dirk fear lays in store for the Martha Ann? What information is he now armed with that may help? What does he still not know that could be fatal?
8. Why does Dirk flood the Starbuck's torpedo compartment?
9. How do Summer's divided loyalties express themselves in their final moments in the doomed seamount as the missiles hit and the mountain begins to crumble?
10. In both Chapters 9 and 10, Dirk endeavors to get his way by assuring the Naval men that he "will take full responsibility." Why does this seem to be the easiest way for Dirk to gain their compliance?
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)