|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Dirk's and Al's mission time-critical?
(a) Because the plan is to blow up the seamount and the end of the planned time, whether or not the rescue succeeds.
(b) Because they will run out of air.
(c) Because Dirk is afraid Summer will be killed.
(d) Because Delphi may escape.
2. Which friend of her father's does Adrian admit to Dirk she has been sleeping with?
(a) CAPT Cinana.
(b) ADM Sandecker.
(c) LCDR Boland.
(d) CDR Denver.
3. How is the rescue team tracking the submarine's location?
(a) Following the line of the flag buoy Boland left in place.
(b) Using a chart and the geo-coordinates Boland marked.
(c) Using a metal detector.
(d) Using the electronic marker Boland placed from the Martha Ann.
4. How is Dirk's death intended to appear?
(a) Like a mob hit.
(b) Like he eloped with Adrian.
(c) As though he vanished of his own free will after accepting money for secrets.
(d) Accidental drowning.
5. What happens to the radio communications between Big Daddy and the Kid?
(a) The signal is lost due to an electrical storm.
(b) ADM Hunter makes an executive decision to maintain radio silence until the final hour.
(c) Delphi's transmitter intercepts the signal.
(d) Kid's radio fails.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Henry Fujima?
2. The Martha Ann has 20 feet of freeboard, making attack from the surface difficult according to LCDR Boland. What is freeboard?
3. How does Adrian escape when the men from the sea come ashore and kill her friend?
4. What is the rescue schedule for the Starbuck when Dirk, Al and the Navy team return to the Pacifc Vortex?
5. What is the reason for the eucalyptus oil?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unexpected and distinctly suspicious about the fog that suddenly overwhelms the Martha Ann? What kinds of conditions are required to create fog?
2. How is the scent of the eucalyptus oil explained? How does it support the theory of the seamount?
3. What does LT Robert Buckmaster discover at the old Army installation, which supposedly belongs to Delphi that partially explains the entirely unexpected fierce resistance to Marine's invasion? How might this situation have come to be?
4. What happens during Dirk's final radio transmission from the C-5airplane before they touch down on the surface of the ocean? what does it mean for their rescue mission?
5. Why does Dirk flood the Starbuck's torpedo compartment?
6. How do Summer's divided loyalties express themselves in their final moments in the doomed seamount as the missiles hit and the mountain begins to crumble?
7. How does LCDR Crowhaven's attitude change from his frame of mind on the plane, once he is within sight of the submarine and Dirk lets him know that this is where he [Dirk] gets off?
8. Besides Dirk's lost love, what does Summer represent to the Navy and why would it have been important to rescue her?
9. What changes ADM Hunter's mind about obeying the destroy orders from the joint Chiefs in Washington D.C.?
10. How does LCDR Crowhaven get in touch with Pearl Harbor in spite of Delphi's lock on their radio transmissions? What is the code he uses to communicate with ADM Hunter over the open wires?
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)