|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the size of the school of fish the Martha Ann's sensors detect as they prepare to escape the Pacific Vortex area?
(a) About 2,000, roughly 2-3 feet in length each.
(b) About 50, ranging from 3 to 10 feet each.
(c) About 200, roughly 5-7 feet in length each.
(d) About 500, all identically sized.
2. How is the rescue team tracking the submarine's location?
(a) Using a chart and the geo-coordinates Boland marked.
(b) Following the line of the flag buoy Boland left in place.
(c) Using the electronic marker Boland placed from the Martha Ann.
(d) Using a metal detector.
3. What does Dirk do for Al's injured hand?
(a) He wraps it in seaweed.
(b) He gives him his swim trunks as a bandage.
(d) He uses a scrap of Summer's dress to make a tourniquet.
4. Who does Dirk go in search of before taking off in the helicopter?
(a) SN Farris.
(b) LCDR Boland.
(c) The helmsman.
(d) More of "Them" to kill.
5. Who are the two men waiting for Dirk in the torpedo room as he tries to escape the submarine with SN Farris?
(b) Crewmembers from the Martha Ann.
(c) Boland and Denver.
(d) CDR Dupree and another of the Starbuck's crew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What s the first indication that the Martha Ann is in danger at the beginning of Chapter 11?
2. The Martha Ann has 20 feet of freeboard, making attack from the surface difficult according to LCDR Boland. What is freeboard?
3. How does Crowhaven manage to get in touch with ADM Hunter?
4. Who is Henry Fujima?
5. How does Summer escape the seamount?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does LCDR Crowhaven's attitude change from his frame of mind on the plane, once he is within sight of the submarine and Dirk lets him know that this is where he [Dirk] gets off?
2. It is evident that Seaman First Class Farris could never have been any help to Delphi's cause or mission, however, Delphi keeps him alive, in spite of admitting to Dirk that Farris is "a minor miscalculation." What might be some reasons for this?
3. What changes ADM Hunter's mind about obeying the destroy orders from the joint Chiefs in Washington D.C.?
4. How does Pitt know that the Martha Ann is out of radio contact with the world?
5. What happens during Dirk's final radio transmission from the C-5airplane before they touch down on the surface of the ocean? what does it mean for their rescue mission?
6. Why does Dirk flood the Starbuck's torpedo compartment?
7. What does Delphi say is his main objective? What does Dirk say is Delphi's main objective?
8. What does Dirk fear lays in store for the Martha Ann? What information is he now armed with that may help? What does he still not know that could be fatal?
9. In both Chapters 9 and 10, Dirk endeavors to get his way by assuring the Naval men that he "will take full responsibility." Why does this seem to be the easiest way for Dirk to gain their compliance?
10. Who or what is Selma Snoop?
This section contains 1,305 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)