|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two scientists does Dirk report to when he arrives at Pearl Harbor after the attack in his hotel room?
(a) Doctors Trinidad and Goldman.
(b) Doctors Ford and Newce.
(c) Doctors Chrysler and York.
(d) Doctors Lavella and Roblemann.
2. Where does Dirk land the helicopter after evacuating the Martha Ann?
(a) Hickam Field airport.
(b) The neatly manicured front lawn of ADM Hunter's home.
(c) The military hospital on Oahu.
(d) Pearl Harbor.
3. Why is Dirk's and Al's mission time-critical?
(a) Because they will run out of air.
(b) Because Delphi may escape.
(c) Because the plan is to blow up the seamount and the end of the planned time, whether or not the rescue succeeds.
(d) Because Dirk is afraid Summer will be killed.
4. What is Delphi's relationship to Frederick Moran?
(a) He is not a blood relative but they are partners.
(b) Delphi is his brother.
(c) Delphi and Frederick Moran are not relatd.
(d) Delphi is his son.
5. Which friend of her father's does Adrian admit to Dirk she has been sleeping with?
(a) CAPT Cinana.
(b) ADM Sandecker.
(c) LCDR Boland.
(d) CDR Denver.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dirk finally break Delphi's facade of cool indifference?
2. How is Dirk's death intended to appear?
3. How is the rescue team tracking the submarine's location?
4. What makes the fog associated with the Pacific Vortex so odd?
5. Who wakes up Dirk after he reaches his hotel room and falls asleep after leaving the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk flood the Starbuck's torpedo compartment?
2. What are the two most important words in the English language according to Dirk? How do they serve Dirk in the battle with the men from the sea in his hotel room?
3. There are three operations, with different codenames going on simultaneously in Chapter 16. What are their different codenames and objectives?
4. What does LT Robert Buckmaster discover at the old Army installation, which supposedly belongs to Delphi that partially explains the entirely unexpected fierce resistance to Marine's invasion? How might this situation have come to be?
5. How do Summer's divided loyalties express themselves in their final moments in the doomed seamount as the missiles hit and the mountain begins to crumble?
6. How does LCDR Crowhaven's attitude change from his frame of mind on the plane, once he is within sight of the submarine and Dirk lets him know that this is where he [Dirk] gets off?
7. What does Dirk fear lays in store for the Martha Ann? What information is he now armed with that may help? What does he still not know that could be fatal?
8. It is evident that Seaman First Class Farris could never have been any help to Delphi's cause or mission, however, Delphi keeps him alive, in spite of admitting to Dirk that Farris is "a minor miscalculation." What might be some reasons for this?
9. When Dirk discovers LCDR Boland has been stabbed with a spear, he decides the spear must come out. What is standard first aid procedure for puncture/impalement wounds and why and how does Dirk deviate from it?
10. How is the scent of the eucalyptus oil explained? How does it support the theory of the seamount?
This section contains 1,309 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)