|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Isak's older brother, Samoel, die as described in Book One, Chapter 8?
(a) He caught cholera.
(b) He sacrificed himself for the church.
(c) He was beaten by the colonial priests after a protest and died of injuries.
(d) He drowned on a boat to Osaka.
2. Why is Pastor Shin hesitant to marry Isak and Sunja in Book One, Chapter 10?
(a) He has never liked Sunja.
(b) He is tired of seeing young couples getting married.
(c) He wants to make sure she will not hurt Isak.
(d) He thinks she is immoral for getting pregnant.
3. What does Sunja think when she first sees Hansu again in Book One, Chapter 6?
(a) Angry at him for taking so long.
(b) Excited that they will get to have sex now.
(c) Disappointment that he has not brought her a bigger present.
(d) Proud that a man like him has chosen her.
4. Why is Yoseb brought to Tamaguchi’s farm in Book Two, Chapter 8?
(a) Because he does not like Nagasaki.
(b) Because he is tired of working.
(c) Because he is badly burned by a burning wall falling on him from bomb fallout.
(d) Because he wants to explore new places.
5. How much does Yoseb owe the money collector in total as described in Book One, Chapter 16?
(a) 200 yen.
(b) 120 yen.
(c) 50 sen.
(d) 213 yen.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Isak arrive in Yeongdu from Pyongyang in Book One, Chapter 2?
2. What vulgar thing does Yoseb say to shame Sunja when he finds out she has paid his debts in Book One, Chapter 17?
3. What does the the arrival of Sunja’s baby interrupt for midwife Okja in Book One, Chapter 17?
4. What does Koh Hansu tell Sunja to be careful for in Book One, Chapter 4?
5. What does Isak say about Sunja's expected baby in Book One, Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Goro-san's character like and why is he so successful at Pachinko as described in Book Two, Chapter 12?
2. What does Hansu tell Kim Changho about the Korean nationalist groups in Book Two, Chapter Nine?
3. What does Yoseb think of the Japanese war in China in Book Two, Chapter 3? How does the way he thinks about it connect with the larger philosophy of Korean people?
4. How does Isak describe Yoseb to Sunja in Book One, Chapter 13?
5. In Book One, Chapter 17, why is Yoseb so upset at Sunja for selling the watch?
6. How do Hoonie's parents raise him in Book One, Chapter 1? Why do they not dote on him?
7. Why does Hansu tell Sunja she must leave Osaka in Book Two, Chapter 6? What does he tell her she must do?
8. What parting advice does Yangjin give Sunja before she gets on the train in Book One, Chapter 10?
9. How does Sunja understand forgiveness differently than Pastor Shin means it in Book One, Chapter 10?
10. Why is Sunja so determined to pay off Yoseb’s debt in Book One, Chapter 16?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)