Book One: Chapter 1 - 4
- The following version of the book was used to create this Study Guide: Lee, Min Jin. Pachinko. Hachette Book Group, 2017.
- Book One: Chapter 1 - Book One: Chapter 4
- Book One is called "Goyang/Hometown" and is set in the year 1910 to 1933.
- An epigraph from Charles Dickens before Chapter One says "home" is a strong word.
- Book One, Chapter 1 is set in Yeongdo, Busan, Korea.
- A fisherman and his wife from Yeongdo decide to start a boarding house.
- Their only son, Hoonie, who survives childhood is born with physical deformities.
- Japan annexes Korea, and the fisherman and his wife take in more lodgers.
- When Hoonie learns to read and write Korean and Japanese and do sums in his head, his parents take him out of school.
- The fisherman and his wife want their son to be...
This section contains 14,747 words
(approx. 50 pages at 300 words per page)