|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Wine," what does the speaker desire to be?
2. What does the poet like to see the flag do in "The Flag"?
3. What does the poet ask in the beginning of "Autumn Testament"?
4. What keeps the figurehead with the men at the end of the poem in "To a Ship's Figurehead"?
5. In "The Portrait in the Rock," what do the police do to the poet's friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Past," why does the poet suggest forgetting the past?
2. What happens to the fisherman in "The Fisherman"?
3. How is "The Names" formatted?
4. How does the poet react to the many gods in "Religion in the East"?
5. How does the poet say Cesar Vallejo was exiled in "Ode to Cesar Vallejo"?
6. What story is retold in "Furious Struggle Between Seamen and an Octopus of Colossal Size"?
7. How are the nude's shoulders described in "Ode to a Beautiful Nude"?
8. In "Oh Earth, Wait for Me," what gifts can the earth give?
9. What is "Ode to Laziness" about in the poet's life?
10. In "Ode to a Book," what lessons does the poet try to convey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how Pablo Neruda integrates folk lore into his poetry. What is the effect?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the theme of loneliness in Pablo Neruda's poetry.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the role of women in Pablo Neruda's poetry. Consider the different categories of women he explores.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)