|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Memory," what does the poet ask the reader to do?
2. Where does the poet look for birds in "Birdwatching Ode"?
3. Why do the clothes in "Ode to Clothes" wait?
4. In "Fable of the Mermaid and the Drunks," what do the drunks do to the mermaid?
5. In "I will come Back," where does the poet say to look for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the speaker in "Wine" act?
2. In "Fable of the Mermaid and the Drunks," what does the mermaid seem to represent?
3. What does Pablo Neruda say about the common man in "The Unknown One"?
4. How does the poet feel while describing the burial in "Ode to the Yellow Bird"?
5. What is described in "Fiesta's End"?
6. How is the ship in "Leviathan" described?
7. How is "The Names" formatted?
8. In "Oh Earth, Wait for Me," what gifts can the earth give?
9. What story is retold in "Furious Struggle Between Seamen and an Octopus of Colossal Size"?
10. In "Ode to a Book," what lessons does the poet try to convey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two poems about water.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the theme of communism in Pablo Neruda's poetry. Keep in mind the historical periods in which he lived.
Essay Topic 3
How does Pablo Neruda use description to convey tone in his poetry?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)