|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Portrait in the Rock," what do the police do to the poet's friend?
2. Who does the poet address in "Poet's Obligation"?
3. In "The Builder," what does the poet say he will build his likeness from?
4. How does the poet describe the dawn in "The Night in Isla Negra"?
5. In "I will come Back," where does the poet say to look for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the speaker in "Wine" act?
2. Why is Thursday so long in "The Long Day Called Thursday"?
3. In "Ode to a Book," what lessons does the poet try to convey?
4. Why does Pablo Neruda want to be pitied in "Memory"?
5. What is described in "Fiesta's End"?
6. What message does the poet deliver about the albatross in "Not Alone the Albatross"?
7. What is "Ode to Laziness" about in the poet's life?
8. What does the poet say he will be like when he returns after death in "I will Come Back"?
9. In "The Word," what influences on language does the poet describe?
10. In "Past," why does the poet suggest forgetting the past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of communism in Pablo Neruda's poetry. Keep in mind the historical periods in which he lived.
Essay Topic 2
Examine how Pablo Neruda integrates folk lore into his poetry. What is the effect?
Essay Topic 3
How does the poet use line breaks and enjambments in this collection of poetry? What makes these effective or ineffective?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)