|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Ode to Laziness," what is freed from the spider's web?
2. What are the windows on the houses like in "The Pension on the Calle Maruri"?
3. Who does the poet describe in "The Pueblo"?
4. How old is the poet in the beginning of "The Watersong Ends"?
5. In "Religion in the East," what type of man does the poet say created religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the poet say he will be like when he returns after death in "I will Come Back"?
2. In "Oh Earth, Wait for Me," what gifts can the earth give?
3. How does the poet feel while describing the burial in "Ode to the Yellow Bird"?
4. How does the poet say Cesar Vallejo was exiled in "Ode to Cesar Vallejo"?
5. How does the speaker in "Wine" act?
6. What does Pablo Neruda say about the common man in "The Unknown One"?
7. In "Past," why does the poet suggest forgetting the past?
8. How is the ship in "Leviathan" described?
9. What is described in "Fiesta's End"?
10. In "The Word," what influences on language does the poet describe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Pablo Neruda's use of personification. How does his personification of nature compare to other examples of the technique?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast two poems about water.
Essay Topic 3
What makes Pablo Neruda's "Selected Poems" a cohesive collection of work?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)