|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sections does "The Magellan Heart" have?
2. In "Nocturnal Collection," what does the poet say he conquered?
3. At the end of "Tonight I can Write," how does the poet say he feels?
4. What makes the school of fish unique in "The Fish and the Drowned Man"?
5. In "Rain," what are the Queen's hands compared to?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Absence of Joaquin," what does the poet wonder about his own life?
2. What does the poet say about gold in "Gold"?
3. How does the poet describe unity in "Unity"?
4. At the end of "The Heights of Macchu Picchu," what does the poet see?
5. What role does the river play in "Battle of the Jarama River"?
6. What powers does the creature possess in "Every Day you Play"?
7. In "Waltz," what does the poet say about himself?
8. What does the poet say about rules in "Nocturnal Statutes"?
9. What is the funeral like in "Burial in the East"?
10. How does the poet describe communism in "Bleak System"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Pablo Neruda use description to convey tone in his poetry?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the theme of communism in Pablo Neruda's poetry. Keep in mind the historical periods in which he lived.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of loneliness in Pablo Neruda's poetry.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)