|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When describing things in "Autumn Returns," what does the poet focus on?
2. Why is the poet angry in the beginning of "Waltz"?
3. At the end of "Some Beasts," what do the animals wait for?
4. In "Unity," what does the poet say humans share a unity with?
5. At the end of "The Builders of Statues," what does the poet consider?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the poet use the image of a seed in "Being Born in the Woods"?
2. What does the poet say about rules in "Nocturnal Statutes"?
3. At the end of "The Heights of Macchu Picchu," what does the poet see?
4. In "The Way into Wood," how does Pablo Neruda describe nature?
5. In "Absence of Joaquin," what does the poet wonder about his own life?
6. In "Love, American (1400)," what does the poet say remains?
7. What powers does the creature possess in "Every Day you Play"?
8. In "Walking Around," how does the poet feel about walking?
9. What is unique about the river in "Death Alone"?
10. Why does the poet feel he is the witness in "Signifying Shadows"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the poet use symbolism in this collection? Consider the use of water, rocks, and earth as symbols.
Essay Topic 2
How does Pablo Neruda use description to convey tone in his poetry?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze how the poet creates a rhythm to his works using line breaks, alliteration, and other devices.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)