|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Wave," what does the poet describe as being a flower?
2. In the beginning of "Entrance of the Rivers," what is the river called?
3. In the beginning of "The Ships," what do the ships carry?
4. At the end of "Pact (Sonata)," what does the poet ask?
5. What does the poet see in the ocean in "Oceanic South"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the poet describe communism in "Bleak System"?
2. What do the shadows do to the poet in "Thinking, Tangling Shadows"?
3. In "The Great Ocean," what does the poet say about nature?
4. How does the poet describe unity in "Unity"?
5. What is the funeral like in "Burial in the East"?
6. What does the poet say about gold in "Gold"?
7. In "Waltz," what does the poet say about himself?
8. In "The Way into Wood," how does Pablo Neruda describe nature?
9. How do the last three lines of "I Have Gone Marking" differ from the rest of the poem?
10. Why does the poet feel he is the witness in "Signifying Shadows"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Pablo Neruda use description to convey tone in his poetry?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Pablo Neruda's shift from romantic love poetry to poetry that is centered on death and politics. Consider the way he changes poetic devices and techniques.
Essay Topic 3
What makes Pablo Neruda's "Selected Poems" a cohesive collection of work?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)