|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Almagro conquer the land in "Discoverers of Chile"?
2. What do all the people in "Lone Gentleman" do in the first lines of the poem?
3. What type of flower is the sudden flower in "The Poet"?
4. What emotion is detailed in the beginning of "Ars Poetica"?
5. At the end of "Tonight I can Write," how does the poet say he feels?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the poet describe unity in "Unity"?
2. Who is Lautaro in "Education of the Chieftain"?
3. What happens to the people of the island in "They Come For the Islands"?
4. What does the poet describe in "Rapa Nui"?
5. What powers does the creature possess in "Every Day you Play"?
6. What does the poet say about rules in "Nocturnal Statutes"?
7. In "Walking Around," how does the poet feel about walking?
8. In "I'm Explaining a Few Things," what answer does the poet give for why he no longer writes love poems?
9. What happens to the unmanned ships in "The Ships"?
10. In "The Great Ocean," what does the poet say about nature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the length of Pablo Neruda's poems affect their messages?
Essay Topic 2
What role does colonization play in Pablo Neruda's poetry?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the poems in which Pablo Neruda reveals the writing process. What role do these poems play? How do they relate to the major themes in Pablo Neruda's other works?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)