|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the poet say was lost in "Love, America (1400)"?
2. What does the poet see in the ocean in "Oceanic South"?
3. According to the poet when was gold pure in "Gold"?
4. In "Leaning into the Afternoons," what does the poet cast sad nets toward?
5. In "Unity," what does the poet say humans share a unity with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the poet say about rules in "Nocturnal Statutes"?
2. Why does the poet feel he is the witness in "Signifying Shadows"?
3. What happens to the people of the island in "They Come For the Islands"?
4. How does the poet use the image of a seed in "Being Born in the Woods"?
5. How does the poet connect the woman in "Body of a Woman" to nature?
6. How do the last three lines of "I Have Gone Marking" differ from the rest of the poem?
7. In "Walking Around," how does the poet feel about walking?
8. Why does the poet talk about fabric in "Weak with the Dawn"?
9. In "Serenade," how is night described?
10. In "The Great Ocean," what does the poet say about nature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Pablo Neruda include odes in this collection? What is their role? What makes them unique?
Essay Topic 2
Examine how Pablo Neruda integrates folk lore into his poetry. What is the effect?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze how the poet creates a rhythm to his works using line breaks, alliteration, and other devices.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)