|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the poet say about mistakes in "Ode to the Book"?
(a) That they are necessary.
(b) That they are funny.
(c) That they are for women.
(d) That they are foolish.
2. How does the poet describe the dawn in "The Night in Isla Negra"?
(b) Ripped apart.
3. In "The Sea," what is the essence of the sea?
(a) Life and death.
(b) Fire and cold.
(c) Wave and rock.
(d) Fear and love.
4. What does the watch cut down in "Ode to a Watch at Night"?
(a) An old house.
(b) A rough grassland.
(c) A tree.
(d) A building.
5. Where does the mermaid go after leaving the bar in "Fable of the Mermaid and the Drunks"?
(a) Into the ocean.
(b) Into the river.
(c) To another bar.
(d) To one of the drunk's houses.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Ode to a Beautiful Nude," what resides in the nude's eyes?
2. In "The Portrait in the Rock," what do the police do to the poet's friend?
3. In "The Builder," where does the poet travel to?
4. In "The Fisherman," where is the fisherman attacking fish?
5. In "I will come Back," where does the poet say to look for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Autumn Testament,"what are some of the directions Pablo Neruda gives?
2. Why is Thursday so long in "The Long Day Called Thursday"?
3. How is the ship in "Leviathan" described?
4. In "Past," why does the poet suggest forgetting the past?
5. How does the speaker in "Wine" act?
6. How are the nude's shoulders described in "Ode to a Beautiful Nude"?
7. How does the poet feel while describing the burial in "Ode to the Yellow Bird"?
8. In "The Word," what influences on language does the poet describe?
9. In "Poet's Obligation,"what role does the poet play?
10. What happens to the fisherman in "The Fisherman"?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)