|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the poet say the chestnut looks like in "Ode to a Fallen Chestnut"?
(a) A newborn baby.
(b) A seashell.
(c) A violin.
(d) A gemstone.
2. In "The Fisherman," where is the fisherman attacking fish?
(a) On a river bank.
(b) In a rock pool.
(c) In the open ocean.
(d) Off a small dock.
3. In "Memory," what does the poet ask the reader to do?
(a) Believe him.
(b) Forget him.
(c) Ignore him.
(d) Pity him.
4. In "We Are Many," who does the poet talk to when he calls for the fireman?
(a) A fireman.
(b) An arsonist.
(c) A fireman's wife.
(d) An elderly man.
5. In "Too Many Names," where does the poet say names are from?
(d) The earth.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Bestiary," what does the poet call the spider?
2. What does the poet desire in "Bestiary"?
3. In "Ode to the Storm," what are the storm's eyes like?
4. In "The Portrait in the Rock," what do the police do to the poet's friend?
5. What does the watch cut down in "Ode to a Watch at Night"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Poet's Obligation,"what role does the poet play?
2. In "Past," why does the poet suggest forgetting the past?
3. What story is retold in "Furious Struggle Between Seamen and an Octopus of Colossal Size"?
4. In "The Word," what influences on language does the poet describe?
5. What does Pablo Neruda say about the common man in "The Unknown One"?
6. How does Pablo Neruda describe his flag in "The Flag"?
7. What does "The Pueblo" reveal about Pablo Neruda's feelings toward communism?
8. How does the poet feel while describing the burial in "Ode to the Yellow Bird"?
9. How is the ship in "Leviathan" described?
10. Why is Thursday so long in "The Long Day Called Thursday"?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)