|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the poet make funeral arrangements in "And How Long?"
(a) He thinks he is dying.
(b) He wants to control his funeral arrangement.
(c) His doctor told him to.
(d) His friend died.
2. Where does the mermaid go after leaving the bar in "Fable of the Mermaid and the Drunks"?
(a) To one of the drunk's houses.
(b) Into the river.
(c) Into the ocean.
(d) To another bar.
3. In "House," what does the poet say existed before the earth?
(a) Stars and sun.
(b) Water and air.
(c) Moon and stone.
(d) God and faith.
4. What does the fisherman use to fish with in "The Fisherman"?
(a) A net.
(b) A modern fishing pole.
(c) A spear.
(d) An antique fishing rod.
5. What do the men do with the figurehead when they first find it in "To a Ship's Figurehead"?
(a) The put it back in front of the boat.
(b) They place it on the sand.
(c) They take it home.
(d) The bring it on the boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Oh Earth, Wait for Me," what does the poet say the earth's pure gift is?
2. In "Fable of the Mermaid and the Drunks," what do the drunks do to the mermaid?
3. In "The Word," where does the poet say the word is born?
4. Who does the poet address in "Poet's Obligation"?
5. What does the poet say people must do to the past in "Past"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the ship in "Leviathan" described?
2. How does the speaker in "Wine" act?
3. In "The Word," what influences on language does the poet describe?
4. How does Pablo Neruda describe his flag in "The Flag"?
5. Why does Pablo Neruda want to be pitied in "Memory"?
6. What is described in "Fiesta's End"?
7. In "Autumn Testament,"what are some of the directions Pablo Neruda gives?
8. What does the tomato do in "Ode to the Tomato"?
9. What does the poet reveal about the lion in "The Lion"?
10. What story is retold in "Furious Struggle Between Seamen and an Octopus of Colossal Size"?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)