|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Tides," what do the waves do to the poet?
(a) Raise his voice.
(b) Take him away.
(c) Build his power.
(d) Relax his soul.
2. In "The Sea," what is the essence of the sea?
(a) Wave and rock.
(b) Life and death.
(c) Fear and love.
(d) Fire and cold.
3. In "Memory," why does the poet say he must pay attention to the blades of grass?
(a) Because his wife asked him to.
(b) Because it is his job to record everything.
(c) Because it will be his future home.
(d) Because he was born from the grass.
4. What is the race in "Lazybones"?
(a) A race to cure cancer.
(b) A race to the moon.
(c) A race to build the tallest building.
(d) A race to live the longest.
5. In "Ode to Laziness," what is freed from the spider's web?
(a) A bee.
(b) A man.
(c) A fly.
(d) Another spider.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Night in Isla Negra," what does the poet watch?
2. In "Bestiary," what does the poet call the spider?
3. In "Poetry," how does the poet say poetry changed him?
4. Who does the poet describe in "The Pueblo"?
5. What does the poet say to the marine night in "The Marine Night"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pablo Neruda want to be pitied in "Memory"?
2. Why is Thursday so long in "The Long Day Called Thursday"?
3. What does "The Pueblo" reveal about Pablo Neruda's feelings toward communism?
4. In "Poet's Obligation,"what role does the poet play?
5. What message does the poet deliver about the albatross in "Not Alone the Albatross"?
6. What does the poet say he will be like when he returns after death in "I will Come Back"?
7. How does the poet feel while describing the burial in "Ode to the Yellow Bird"?
8. What story is retold in "Furious Struggle Between Seamen and an Octopus of Colossal Size"?
9. How does the poet describe his home in "Lazybones"?
10. What does Pablo Neruda say about the common man in "The Unknown One"?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)