|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps the figurehead with the men at the end of the poem in "To a Ship's Figurehead"?
(a) Her history.
(b) The pieces that broke off of her.
(c) Her beauty.
(d) Paintings of her.
2. Who does the poet address in "Poet's Obligation"?
(a) Women at home with their children.
(b) People in jail.
(c) Agents of God.
(d) People not listening to the sea.
3. In "Birdwatching Ode," what does the poet tell the birds to stay away from?
(a) Humans and preditors.
(b) Men and children.
(c) Women and the sunset.
(d) Guns and cages.
4. How does the poet know the people he visits in "The Unknown One"?
(a) They used to work together.
(b) They are related through marriage.
(c) He doesn't know them.
(d) They are cousins.
5. How long does the poet say the day will last in "The Long Day Called Thursday"?
(a) A few weeks.
(b) Until tomorrow.
(c) All year.
(d) He can't tell.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the poet make a list in "The Names"?
2. In "Tides," what do the waves do to the poet?
3. What does the poet say he used to be called in "Fiesta's End"?
4. What does the storm teach the weak in "Ode to the Storm"?
5. In "Religion in the East," what type of man does the poet say created religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "The Pueblo" reveal about Pablo Neruda's feelings toward communism?
2. What is the atmosphere of the setting in "The Pension on the Calle Maruri"?
3. How does the poet describe his home in "Lazybones"?
4. In "Past," why does the poet suggest forgetting the past?
5. How does the poet feel while describing the burial in "Ode to the Yellow Bird"?
6. How does Pablo Neruda feel about the sea in "The Sea"?
7. In "The Word," what influences on language does the poet describe?
8. Why does Pablo Neruda want to be pitied in "Memory"?
9. What does the poet say he will be like when he returns after death in "I will Come Back"?
10. How is "The Names" formatted?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)