|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Poetry," how does the poet say poetry found him?
(a) It was on his bookshelf.
(b) It was in a classroom.
(c) It came to him in a dream.
(d) It touched him.
2. In "The Unknown One," what does the poet say will happen to common people?
(a) The street will devour them.
(b) History will forget them.
(c) The waves will wash them away.
(d) He will write about them.
3. In "Wine," what does the speaker desire to be?
(a) A common man.
(b) A woman.
(c) A captain.
(d) A fish.
4. How does the poet describe the dawn in "The Night in Isla Negra"?
(c) Ripped apart.
5. Why does the bird die in "Ode to the Yellow Bird"?
(a) From a hunter's bullet.
(b) From being in a cage.
(c) From being poisoned.
(d) From old age.
6. In "Poet's Obligation," where does the poet say he gathers his poetry?
(a) On sheets of paper.
(b) In a cup.
(c) In boxes.
(d) In his brain.
7. In "Religion in the East," what makes the poet question religion?
(a) Exposure to many gods.
(b) Meeting a female priestess.
(c) Reading the Bible.
(d) Living in Japan.
8. In "Oh Earth, Wait for Me," what does the poet say the earth's pure gift is?
9. Where does the poet look for birds in "Birdwatching Ode"?
(a) The desert.
(b) The shore.
(c) The park.
(d) The forest.
10. How doe the poet say he discovered the story of "Furious Struggle Between Seamen and an Octopus of Colossal Size"?
(a) He read it it a journal he found.
(b) He ran into the seamen one day.
(c) He made it up himself.
(d) He found it in a dream.
11. In "The Word," what refines words?
12. In "Ode to the Storm," what are the storm's eyes like?
(a) Empty holes.
(b) Cold fire.
(c) Rough waves.
(d) Hot rocks.
13. In "Tides," what makes the poet's skeleton?
14. What season is it in "Ode to the Tomato"?
15. In "Fable of the Mermaid and the Drunks," what do the drunks do to the mermaid?
(a) Help her find a seat.
(b) Spit at her.
(c) Put her back in the water.
(d) Laugh at her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Tocopilla located in "The Brutalized Birds"?
2. At the end of "The Brutalized Birds," what does the man do?
3. In "Memory," why does the poet say he must pay attention to the blades of grass?
4. What does the poet say about forever in "And How Long?"
5. In "House," what does the poet say existed before the earth?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)