|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Word," where does the poet say the word is born?
(a) In water.
(b) In humans.
(c) On the back's of animals.
(d) In nature.
2. What does the poet say to the marine night in "The Marine Night"?
(a) That he is sorry.
(c) That he loves it.
(d) That he wants to become it.
3. In "Bestiary," what does the poet call the spider?
(a) A villian.
(b) A woman.
(c) A crusader.
(d) An engineer.
4. In "The Fisherman," where is the fisherman attacking fish?
(a) Off a small dock.
(b) In the open ocean.
(c) On a river bank.
(d) In a rock pool.
5. In "The Pueblo," where does the poet say this man should go?
(c) The United States.
6. Where does the mermaid go after leaving the bar in "Fable of the Mermaid and the Drunks"?
(a) Into the river.
(b) To one of the drunk's houses.
(c) Into the ocean.
(d) To another bar.
7. In "Tides," what makes the poet's skeleton?
8. What warms the poet in "The Pension on the Calle Maruri"?
(b) A sunny day.
9. In "Oh Earth, Wait for Me," what does the poet say the earth's pure gift is?
10. What does the poet say the chestnut looks like in "Ode to a Fallen Chestnut"?
(a) A seashell.
(b) A newborn baby.
(c) A violin.
(d) A gemstone.
11. What does the watch cut down in "Ode to a Watch at Night"?
(a) A building.
(b) An old house.
(c) A tree.
(d) A rough grassland.
12. Who knocks on the door in "Ode to the Tomato"?
(a) A chicken.
(d) The poet.
13. What do the men do with the figurehead when they first find it in "To a Ship's Figurehead"?
(a) The bring it on the boat.
(b) They take it home.
(c) They place it on the sand.
(d) The put it back in front of the boat.
14. What does the poet say people must do to the past in "Past"?
(a) Honor it.
(b) Learn from it.
(c) Get rid of it.
(d) Relive it.
15. In "I will come Back," where does the poet say to look for him?
(a) Under the grass.
(b) Within the rivers.
(c) Behind a tree.
(d) Between the stones.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Memory," what does the poet ask the reader to do?
2. In "The Builder," where does the poet travel to?
3. What are the windows on the houses like in "The Pension on the Calle Maruri"?
4. Why do the clothes in "Ode to Clothes" wait?
5. What does the poet say about mistakes in "Ode to the Book"?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)