|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the poet make funeral arrangements in "And How Long?"
(a) His doctor told him to.
(b) He thinks he is dying.
(c) He wants to control his funeral arrangement.
(d) His friend died.
2. In "Religion in the East," what type of man does the poet say created religion?
(a) A feeble man.
(b) A smart man.
(c) A crazy man.
(d) A devoted man.
3. How old is the poet in the beginning of "The Watersong Ends"?
4. How does the poet describe the dawn in "The Night in Isla Negra"?
(b) Ripped apart.
5. How does the poet know the people he visits in "The Unknown One"?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They used to work together.
(c) He doesn't know them.
(d) They are related through marriage.
6. Who does the poet describe in "The Pueblo"?
(a) The government.
(b) The warriors.
(c) The working man.
(d) The children.
7. In "Not Alone the Albatross," what does the poet say about the albatross?
(a) That it is fine to kill this bird.
(b) That it isn't the only sacred bird.
(c) That it is the most holy bird.
(d) That it is his favorite bird.
8. What do the men do with the figurehead when they first find it in "To a Ship's Figurehead"?
(a) They take it home.
(b) The put it back in front of the boat.
(c) The bring it on the boat.
(d) They place it on the sand.
9. What does the poet say will happen if people stop naming in "Too Many Names"?
(a) Everything will blur together.
(b) Everything will be the same.
(c) People will descend into chaos.
(d) God will return to give new names.
10. What does the fisherman use to fish with in "The Fisherman"?
(a) A net.
(b) A modern fishing pole.
(c) An antique fishing rod.
(d) A spear.
11. What does the poet like to see the flag do in "The Flag"?
(a) Hang on his wall.
(b) Whip in the wind.
(c) Fly off the back of a boat.
(d) Be folded by the owner.
12. Why does the bird die in "Ode to the Yellow Bird"?
(a) From a hunter's bullet.
(b) From old age.
(c) From being poisoned.
(d) From being in a cage.
13. What does the poet say about mistakes in "Ode to the Book"?
(a) That they are funny.
(b) That they are necessary.
(c) That they are foolish.
(d) That they are for women.
14. In "Bestiary," what does the poet call the spider?
(a) A villian.
(b) A crusader.
(c) A woman.
(d) An engineer.
15. In "Fable of the Mermaid and the Drunks," what do the drunks do to the mermaid?
(a) Laugh at her.
(b) Spit at her.
(c) Help her find a seat.
(d) Put her back in the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the pearl in "The Long Day Called Thursday"?
2. In "Ocean," what does the salt do?
3. How doe the poet say he discovered the story of "Furious Struggle Between Seamen and an Octopus of Colossal Size"?
4. At the end of "Loneliness," what does Pablo Neruda say about himself?
5. What does the poet say about his friend's face in the rock in "The Portrait in the Rock"?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)