|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Birdwatching Ode," what does the poet tell the birds to stay away from?
(a) Men and children.
(b) Women and the sunset.
(c) Humans and preditors.
(d) Guns and cages.
2. In "Fear," what does the poet complain about?
(a) People telling him what to do.
(b) Being afraid of his future.
(c) His lack of money.
(d) Never finding love.
3. In "The Unknown One," what does the poet say will happen to common people?
(a) History will forget them.
(b) He will write about them.
(c) The waves will wash them away.
(d) The street will devour them.
4. In "The Watersong Ends," what does the poet say stained the rice fields with blood?
5. Where does the poet look for birds in "Birdwatching Ode"?
(a) The park.
(b) The shore.
(c) The forest.
(d) The desert.
6. In "The Night in Isla Negra," what does the poet watch?
(a) His wife.
(b) The shadows.
(c) His neighbor.
(d) The trees.
7. In "Religion in the East," what makes the poet question religion?
(a) Living in Japan.
(b) Meeting a female priestess.
(c) Reading the Bible.
(d) Exposure to many gods.
8. What does the poet say to the marine night in "The Marine Night"?
(a) That he is sorry.
(b) That he wants to become it.
(d) That he loves it.
9. What does the watch cut down in "Ode to a Watch at Night"?
(a) An old house.
(b) A building.
(c) A rough grassland.
(d) A tree.
10. In "The Pueblo," where does the poet say this man should go?
(b) The United States.
11. In "We Are Many," who does the poet talk to when he calls for the fireman?
(a) An arsonist.
(b) A fireman.
(c) A fireman's wife.
(d) An elderly man.
12. What is listed in "The Names"?
(a) Names of the poet's friends.
(b) Names of women the poet has loved.
(c) Names of cities.
(d) Names the poet has given himself.
13. What does the poet say about forever in "And How Long?"
(a) Who knows what forever is.
(b) What it means to say forever.
(c) How long forever lasts.
(d) If he'll see forever.
14. At the end of "The Brutalized Birds," what does the man do?
(a) Builds the birds a new nest.
(b) Puts the birds in a cage.
(c) Shoots a bird.
(d) Sell the birds' eggs.
15. In "Wine," what does the speaker desire to be?
(a) A woman.
(b) A common man.
(c) A fish.
(d) A captain.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Fisherman," where is the fisherman attacking fish?
2. In "Ocean," what does the salt do?
3. In "Memory," why does the poet say he must pay attention to the blades of grass?
4. In "Ode to a Beautiful Nude," what resides in the nude's eyes?
5. What keeps the figurehead with the men at the end of the poem in "To a Ship's Figurehead"?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)