|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Sea," what is the essence of the sea?
(a) Life and death.
(b) Fire and cold.
(c) Fear and love.
(d) Wave and rock.
2. In "Tides," what do the waves do to the poet?
(a) Relax his soul.
(b) Raise his voice.
(c) Build his power.
(d) Take him away.
3. What do the men do with the figurehead when they first find it in "To a Ship's Figurehead"?
(a) The put it back in front of the boat.
(b) The bring it on the boat.
(c) They take it home.
(d) They place it on the sand.
4. In "Not Alone the Albatross," what does the poet say about the albatross?
(a) That it is fine to kill this bird.
(b) That it is the most holy bird.
(c) That it isn't the only sacred bird.
(d) That it is his favorite bird.
5. What season is it in "Ode to the Tomato"?
6. In "The Pueblo," where does the poet say this man should go?
(a) The United States.
7. In "Memory," what does the poet ask the reader to do?
(a) Forget him.
(b) Ignore him.
(c) Pity him.
(d) Believe him.
8. Where is the pearl in "The Long Day Called Thursday"?
(a) The rocks.
(b) The poet's tie.
(c) The woman's ring.
(d) The ocean.
9. How does the poet describe the dawn in "The Night in Isla Negra"?
(b) Ripped apart.
10. How does Pablo Neruda describe his loneliness in "Loneliness"?
(a) The "not-happening."
(b) The "life-change."
(c) The "slow-coming."
(d) The "self-alone."
11. In "Bestiary," what does the poet call the spider?
(a) An engineer.
(b) A woman.
(c) A crusader.
(d) A villian.
12. What are the windows on the houses like in "The Pension on the Calle Maruri"?
(b) Lighted brightly.
(d) Full of children's faces.
13. In "The Marine Night," what does the poet want to burn with?
14. In "The Watersong Ends," what does the poet say stained the rice fields with blood?
15. Where does the poet look for birds in "Birdwatching Ode"?
(a) The desert.
(b) The shore.
(c) The park.
(d) The forest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps the figurehead with the men at the end of the poem in "To a Ship's Figurehead"?
2. What does the poet say about his friend's face in the rock in "The Portrait in the Rock"?
3. Why does the bird die in "Ode to the Yellow Bird"?
4. Why do the clothes in "Ode to Clothes" wait?
5. Where is Tocopilla located in "The Brutalized Birds"?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)