|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How doe the poet say he discovered the story of "Furious Struggle Between Seamen and an Octopus of Colossal Size"?
(a) He ran into the seamen one day.
(b) He made it up himself.
(c) He read it it a journal he found.
(d) He found it in a dream.
2. What is the house in "House"?
(a) The poet's body.
(b) The poet's parents' house.
(c) The poet's apartment.
(d) The earth.
3. What does the poet say about mistakes in "Ode to the Book"?
(a) That they are foolish.
(b) That they are for women.
(c) That they are necessary.
(d) That they are funny.
4. What does the poet desire in "Bestiary"?
(a) To become an animal.
(b) To work at a zoo.
(c) To speak with animals.
(d) To keep animals as pets.
5. Why does the poet say he will say nothing in "I will Come Back"?
(a) Because no one listens.
(b) Because he won't have a mouth.
(c) Because he is misunderstood.
(d) Because he will have nothing to say.
6. In "Memory," what does the poet ask the reader to do?
(a) Forget him.
(b) Pity him.
(c) Believe him.
(d) Ignore him.
7. What does the storm teach the weak in "Ode to the Storm"?
(a) To fear.
(b) To sing.
(c) To be brave.
(d) To sleep.
8. Why do the clothes in "Ode to Clothes" wait?
(a) To be useful.
(b) To be thrown away.
(c) To turn into humans.
(d) To be taken off.
9. What season is it in "Ode to the Tomato"?
10. In "The Word," what refines words?
11. In "Fable of the Mermaid and the Drunks," what do the drunks do to the mermaid?
(a) Put her back in the water.
(b) Laugh at her.
(c) Spit at her.
(d) Help her find a seat.
12. What does the poet say about his friend's face in the rock in "The Portrait in the Rock"?
(a) That it resembles his own youth.
(b) That it is too permanent.
(c) That it is his own country.
(d) That it is cracked.
13. What warms the poet in "The Pension on the Calle Maruri"?
(a) A sunny day.
14. Who does the poet address in "Poet's Obligation"?
(a) Women at home with their children.
(b) People not listening to the sea.
(c) People in jail.
(d) Agents of God.
15. In "Not Alone the Albatross," what does the poet say about the albatross?
(a) That it isn't the only sacred bird.
(b) That it is fine to kill this bird.
(c) That it is the most holy bird.
(d) That it is his favorite bird.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Ocean," what does the salt do?
2. In "The Builder," what does the poet say he will build his likeness from?
3. In "The Pueblo," where does the poet say this man should go?
4. Where does the mermaid go after leaving the bar in "Fable of the Mermaid and the Drunks"?
5. In "Ode to the Storm," what are the storm's eyes like?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)