|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Pueblo," where does the poet say this man should go?
(a) The United States.
2. How old is the poet in the beginning of "The Watersong Ends"?
3. What does the storm teach the weak in "Ode to the Storm"?
(a) To sing.
(b) To be brave.
(c) To fear.
(d) To sleep.
4. What color is the flag in "The Flag"?
5. What does the poet say people must do to the past in "Past"?
(a) Learn from it.
(b) Honor it.
(c) Relive it.
(d) Get rid of it.
6. What does the poet say about mistakes in "Ode to the Book"?
(a) That they are necessary.
(b) That they are foolish.
(c) That they are for women.
(d) That they are funny.
7. Where is Tocopilla located in "The Brutalized Birds"?
8. In "Fear," what does the poet complain about?
(a) His lack of money.
(b) Never finding love.
(c) Being afraid of his future.
(d) People telling him what to do.
9. In "The Word," what refines words?
10. Why does the poet make funeral arrangements in "And How Long?"
(a) He thinks he is dying.
(b) He wants to control his funeral arrangement.
(c) His friend died.
(d) His doctor told him to.
11. In "The Fisherman," where is the fisherman attacking fish?
(a) In a rock pool.
(b) Off a small dock.
(c) In the open ocean.
(d) On a river bank.
12. What does the poet say about forever in "And How Long?"
(a) If he'll see forever.
(b) What it means to say forever.
(c) Who knows what forever is.
(d) How long forever lasts.
13. What does the poet say to the marine night in "The Marine Night"?
(b) That he loves it.
(c) That he is sorry.
(d) That he wants to become it.
14. How long does the poet say the day will last in "The Long Day Called Thursday"?
(a) He can't tell.
(b) All year.
(c) Until tomorrow.
(d) A few weeks.
15. In "The Watersong Ends," what does the poet say stained the rice fields with blood?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "We Are Many," why can't the poet decide who he is?
2. What does the poet say will happen if people stop naming in "Too Many Names"?
3. In "Poet's Obligation," where does the poet say he gathers his poetry?
4. What does the poet say the chestnut looks like in "Ode to a Fallen Chestnut"?
5. In "Too Many Names," where does the poet say names are from?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)