|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Ode with a Lament," when does the poet realize he is too old for the woman?
(a) When he looks in a mirror.
(b) When she tells him.
(c) When he sees her up close.
(d) When he falls asleep early.
2. At the end of "Dream Horses," what does the poet wish for?
(a) To live dreams.
(b) To stop having dreams.
(c) To trade dreams with someone else.
(d) To record his dreams.
3. In "Love, America (1400)," what does the poet say America has no word for?
4. In the beginning of "The Great Ocean," what does the poet ask of Ocean?
5. In "Signifying Shadows," what is the poet's calling?
6. What is ruined at the end of "There's No Forgetting"?
(a) A field.
(b) A mountain.
(c) A tree.
(d) A river.
7. Why is the poet angry in the beginning of "Waltz"?
(a) Because he feels like he is in a rut.
(b) Because he lost his job.
(c) Because he has been left by a woman.
(d) Because he was robbed.
8. In "The Great Ocean," why does the poet say people cannot harm the ocean?
(a) It is so great.
(b) It is a god.
(c) They can harm the ocean.
(d) It is too frightening.
9. What does the poet say was lost in "Love, America (1400)"?
10. Where does God in "A Soldier Sleeps" say the soldier is from?
(a) The mountains.
(c) The flames.
(d) The sea.
11. In "Brussels," what does the poet say moves too quickly?
(b) His faith.
(d) His life.
12. At the end of "Pact (Sonata)," what does the poet ask?
(a) For the woman to leave him alone.
(b) For the woman to move with him.
(c) For the woman to fix his heart.
(d) For the woman to remain with him.
13. Which is the father river in "Entrance of the Rivers"?
(b) Bio Bio.
14. Why does the poet say he wrote "I'm Explaining a Few Things"?
(a) To explain his politics.
(b) To avoid being fired.
(c) To answer the readers' questions.
(d) To restart his writing career.
15. How does the poet feel about the prostitute in "The Night of the Soldier"?
(a) That she is caring.
(b) That she is destructuve.
(c) That she is perfection.
(d) That she needs saving.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Leaning into the Afternoons," what does the poet say he resembles when he loves?
2. In "Unity," what does the poet say humans share a unity with?
3. In "Rain," what does the poet say the shore loves?
4. In "Tonight I can Write," what does the poet say he could write?
5. In stanza 4 of "Battle of the Jarama River," what is said about the river?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)