|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the poet relate the woman's body to in "Body of a Woman"?
(a) Scientific discovery.
(c) The earth.
(d) The heavens.
2. What does the poet say is buried in the sand in "Rapa Nui"?
(b) The truth.
3. How does the poet immortalize himself in "Signifying Shadows"?
(a) He says he can't immortalize himself.
(b) By taking pictures of himself.
(c) Through writing.
(d) Through prayer.
4. What is ruined at the end of "There's No Forgetting"?
(a) A tree.
(b) A field.
(c) A mountain.
(d) A river.
5. How does the poet describe the guitar in "Tang"?
(a) Silent but powerful.
(b) Empty but full.
(c) Broken but valuable.
(d) Loud but weak.
6. In "Battle of the Jarama River," who are the river's people?
(a) The Spanish.
(b) The French.
(c) The English.
(d) The Russians.
7. What does the creature play with in "Every Day you Play"?
(b) The moon.
8. Why are the oxen red in "Bleak System"?
(a) They are newborns.
(b) They have been painted.
(c) They are bloody.
(d) The poet is hallucinating.
9. What do all the people in "Lone Gentleman" do in the first lines of the poem?
(a) Fall in love.
(b) Drink wine.
(c) Greet each other.
(d) Take a vacation.
10. In "Love, America (1400)," what does the poet say America has no word for?
11. In "In Spite of Wrath," the light comes in spite of what?
12. In stanza 4 of "Battle of the Jarama River," what is said about the river?
(a) It cannot be conquered.
(b) It will never flow again.
(c) It knows the truth.
(d) It is stained forever.
13. In "Nocturnal Collection," what does the poet say he conquered?
14. In "Brussels," what does the poet say moves too quickly?
(a) His life.
(d) His faith.
15. Where does God in "A Soldier Sleeps" say the soldier is from?
(b) The flames.
(c) The mountains.
(d) The sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of flower is the sudden flower in "The Poet"?
2. At the end of "Some Beasts," what do the animals wait for?
3. What makes the school of fish unique in "The Fish and the Drowned Man"?
4. In "Nocturnal Statutes," what does reality differ from?
5. In the beginning of "The Ships," what do the ships carry?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)