|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Ode with a Lament," when does the poet realize he is too old for the woman?
(a) When he looks in a mirror.
(b) When she tells him.
(c) When he falls asleep early.
(d) When he sees her up close.
2. In "They Come For the Islands," who witnesses the destruction of the island?
(a) The women.
(b) The gods.
(c) The soldiers.
(d) The children.
3. How does the poet feel about the prostitute in "The Night of the Soldier"?
(a) That she is perfection.
(b) That she needs saving.
(c) That she is destructuve.
(d) That she is caring.
4. In "Nocturnal Collection," what does the poet say he conquered?
5. In the beginning of "The Great Ocean," what does the poet ask of Ocean?
6. In "Rain," what are the Queen's hands compared to?
7. In "Absence of Joaquin," what defines the friend?
(a) His wife.
(b) His death.
(c) His money.
(d) His education.
8. Why is the poet angry in the beginning of "Waltz"?
(a) Because he was robbed.
(b) Because he lost his job.
(c) Because he has been left by a woman.
(d) Because he feels like he is in a rut.
9. At the end of "Tonight I can Write," how does the poet say he feels?
10. What is ruined at the end of "There's No Forgetting"?
(a) A tree.
(b) A mountain.
(c) A river.
(d) A field.
11. In "The Way into Wood," what does the poet say about apologies?
(a) That they mean nothing.
(b) That they are always late.
(c) That they hurt more than help.
(d) That they should come only from men.
12. What are the "black days" in "Bleak System"?
(a) When the poet was ill.
(b) A time of war.
(d) Being in love.
13. In "In Spite of Wrath," what is built after the holocaust?
14. What is Antarctica called in "Antarctic"?
(a) A trap.
(b) A mystery.
(c) A crown.
(d) A gem.
15. In "Oceanic South," what does the poet have left?
(a) His love.
(b) His writing.
(c) His friends.
(d) His imagination.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Love, America (1400)," what does the poet say America has no word for?
2. Why does the poet say he wrote "I'm Explaining a Few Things"?
3. In "The Ships," what type of ships are described as being the worst?
4. At the end of "Dream Horses," what does the poet wish for?
5. In stanza 4 of "Battle of the Jarama River," what is said about the river?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)