|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Ode with a Lament," when does the poet realize he is too old for the woman?
(a) When he looks in a mirror.
(b) When he falls asleep early.
(c) When he sees her up close.
(d) When she tells him.
2. At the end of "The Builders of Statues," what does the poet consider?
(a) If the statues are a hallucination.
(b) If he can build a statue.
(c) If the statues built themselves.
(d) If the statues will exist after he dies.
3. At the end of "Tonight I can Write," how does the poet say he feels?
4. In "Signifying Shadows," what is the poet's calling?
5. In "Leaning into the Afternoons," what does the poet say he resembles when he loves?
(b) The sun.
(c) A moon.
6. Why are the oxen red in "Bleak System"?
(a) They are newborns.
(b) They are bloody.
(c) The poet is hallucinating.
(d) They have been painted.
7. What do all the people in "Lone Gentleman" do in the first lines of the poem?
(a) Drink wine.
(b) Take a vacation.
(c) Fall in love.
(d) Greet each other.
8. Why is the poet angry in the beginning of "Waltz"?
(a) Because he has been left by a woman.
(b) Because he was robbed.
(c) Because he feels like he is in a rut.
(d) Because he lost his job.
9. Which is the father river in "Entrance of the Rivers"?
(b) Bio Bio.
10. What flows like a tide in "I'm Explaining a Few Things"?
(a) Warring soldiers.
(b) The rivers in France.
(c) His sould.
(d) The blood of Spain.
11. In "Lone Gentleman," what does the poet call the people around him?
(b) Lost souls.
12. What question does the poet ask in "Absence of Joaquin"?
(a) What did he take with him?
(b) How did everyone react?
(c) Why do we question anything?
(d) Who will be left behind?
13. In "In Spite of Wrath," the light comes in spite of what?
14. In "The Way into Wood," what does the poet say about apologies?
(a) That they mean nothing.
(b) That they should come only from men.
(c) That they are always late.
(d) That they hurt more than help.
15. How does Almagro conquer the land in "Discoverers of Chile"?
(a) With faith.
(b) With steel.
(c) With men.
(d) With fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is ruined at the end of "There's No Forgetting"?
2. In "In Spite of Wrath," what is built after the holocaust?
3. In "Burial in the East," what does the poet say happens to the corpses before burial?
4. In "They Come For the Islands," who witnesses the destruction of the island?
5. Why is it difficult to see in "Thinking, Tangling Shadows"?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)