|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Peyton Farquhar's occupation?
2. What does Peyton do while waiting for an opportunity to serve the South?
3. Peyton wants to know _______________________ if he could overcome the sentinel.
4. How did the soldier approach Peyton's house?
5. Who gets the water for the soldier?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
Denial takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)