|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the soldier say he knows about the order?
2. When does the soldier say he had last been at the Owl Creek Bridge?
3. Why is the Federal army repairing the railroads?
4. What is Peyton Farquhar's occupation?
5. How did the soldier approach Peyton's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the surprise twist ending of Part 2, the soldier in gray is identified to the reader as a Federal scout. Write a brief essay on how and why Peyton was chosen as a target for the Federal army. Be sure to include your opinion on whether this was a random event or whether Peyton had been singled out for specific reasons.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does Bierce use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of living in denial. Identify at least two instances about denial in the story and then cite an examples to support your answers.
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)