|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the Federal army repairing the railroads?
2. What does Peyton do while waiting for an opportunity to serve the South?
3. How far does the soldier say it is to Owl Creek Bridge?
4. What can be inferred about the story at the end of Part 2?
5. What are Peyton and his wife doing when they are approached by someone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of Mrs. Farquhar in the story. How is she perceived by her husband? By the soldier in gray? Do you think she had any idea that her husband was going to put his life in jeopardy? How do you think she found out that her husband was hanged by the Federal army? Write an essay encompassing all these facets of Mrs. Farquhar from the limited information available about her.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does Bierce use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Denial takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)