|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Peyton is a civilian with _________________.
2. What are Peyton and his wife doing when they are approached by someone?
3. When does the soldier say he had last been at the Owl Creek Bridge?
4. Who approaches Peyton and his wife as they sit outside their home?
5. Which of the following does NOT characterize Peyton's motivations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is your opinion of Peyton Farquhar? Do you think he was a willful man bent on his own destruction for his own purposes? Or is he someone to be pitied for his misguided sense of loyalty and duty? Or is he someone else entirely? State your position on Peyton and support your answer with rationale.
Essay Topic 2
Bierce is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
AN OCCURRENCE AT OWL CREEK BRIDGE is a classic escape from reality story. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)