|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the soldier say about the driftwood he saw?
2. What does the soldier pause to do?
3. What is the name of the character introduced in Part 2?
4. What does Peyton do while waiting for an opportunity to serve the South?
5. Who approaches Peyton and his wife as they sit outside their home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does Bierce use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Peyton Farquhar. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)