|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The soldier says the driftwood would burn __________________.
2. What does Peyton ask after the soldier tells about the order?
3. Which of the following does NOT characterize Peyton's motivations?
4. Which of the following is NOT mentioned in the posted order?
5. In what direction is the soldier headed when he rides past the Farquhar house again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
The final part of Peyton's journey at the end of the story has what could be considered religious and spiritual motifs. Identify at least two of these motifs and explain what would make them consistent with a religious or spiritual genre.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Peyton Farquhar. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)