|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevented Peyton's enlisting in the army?
2. Who approaches Peyton and his wife as they sit outside their home?
3. What does Peyton ask the soldier?
4. What is the soldier's appearance?
5. Peyton is a politician and a(n) ___________________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bierce uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of man's inhumanity to man. Identify at least two examples about man's inhumanity to man in the book and provide support for your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the story's title. What did the author mean by calling the story AN OCCURRENCE AT OWL CREEK BRIDGE? Isn't that just a little but of an understatement? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 194 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)