|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is aroused in Peyton at the end of Part 2?
2. What does the soldier pause to do?
3. What does Peyton ask after the soldier tells about the order?
4. What are Peyton and his wife doing when they are approached by someone?
5. The soldier says the driftwood would burn __________________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of men in the 1860s when the men in the story are living through wartime. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they enjoy that 21st century men do not, and vice-versa?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 3
Denial takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)