|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Peyton and his wife doing when they are approached by someone?
2. In what state does Peyton live?
3. What does Peyton ask the soldier?
4. Which of the following did Peyton NOT long to experience as a soldier?
5. What did the soldier see lying against the pier the last time he was at the bridge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does Bierce use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of man's inhumanity to man. Identify at least two examples about man's inhumanity to man in the book and provide support for your answers.
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)