Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the soldier ask Peyton regarding directions?
2. What does Peyton think about his opportunity to serve in the war?
3. What does Peyton do while waiting for an opportunity to serve the South?
4. What did the soldier see lying against the pier the last time he was at the bridge?
5. Who is with Peyton when he is approached by someone at his property?
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for the story. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Bierce choose to use these places in the story?
Essay Topic 2
In Part 3, Peyton's dream adventure allows him to escape through a highly creative twist. Write an essay that follow along the lines of Peyton's dream, adding your own twists of plot, character and imagery.
Essay Topic 3
In the surprise twist ending of Part 2, the soldier in gray is identified to the reader as a Federal scout. Write a brief essay on how and why Peyton was chosen as a target for the Federal army. Be sure to include your opinion on whether this was a random event or whether Peyton had been singled out for specific reasons.
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)