|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the soldier ask Peyton regarding directions?
2. What does Peyton think about his opportunity to serve in the war?
3. What does Peyton do while waiting for an opportunity to serve the South?
4. What did the soldier see lying against the pier the last time he was at the bridge?
5. Who is with Peyton when he is approached by someone at his property?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the story's title. What did the author mean by calling the story AN OCCURRENCE AT OWL CREEK BRIDGE? Isn't that just a little but of an understatement? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of men in the 1860s when the men in the story are living through wartime. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they enjoy that 21st century men do not, and vice-versa?
Essay Topic 3
What is your opinion of Peyton Farquhar? Do you think he was a willful man bent on his own destruction for his own purposes? Or is he someone to be pitied for his misguided sense of loyalty and duty? Or is he someone else entirely? State your position on Peyton and support your answer with rationale.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)