|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT characterize Peyton's motivations?
2. Peyton is a civilian with _________________.
3. When does the soldier reappear at the Farquhar house?
4. What is the name of the character introduced in Part 2?
5. What does the soldier NOT do after he drinks his water?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Note the shifts in point of view in the story, sometimes even within the same part. Cite at least two examples of the shift in point of view and support your answers with reasons the author chose to write the story in this way.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of men in the 1860s when the men in the story are living through wartime. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they enjoy that 21st century men do not, and vice-versa?
Essay Topic 3
In the surprise twist ending of Part 2, the soldier in gray is identified to the reader as a Federal scout. Write a brief essay on how and why Peyton was chosen as a target for the Federal army. Be sure to include your opinion on whether this was a random event or whether Peyton had been singled out for specific reasons.
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)