|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Peyton is devoted to the ____________________.
2. What is the second question Peyton asks the soldier?
3. What are Peyton and his wife doing when they are approached by someone?
4. What does the soldier say happened at the bridge last winter?
5. What is Mrs. Farquhar's demeanor about getting the water?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 3, Peyton's dream adventure allows him to escape through a highly creative twist. Write an essay that follow along the lines of Peyton's dream, adding your own twists of plot, character and imagery.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of living in denial. Identify at least two instances about denial in the story and then cite an examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does Bierce use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)