|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the soldier ask Peyton regarding directions?
2. What saying did Peyton believe in his heart?
3. Which of the following did Peyton NOT long to experience as a soldier?
4. How far does the soldier say it is to Owl Creek Bridge?
5. What does the soldier NOT do after he drinks his water?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of men in the 1860s when the men in the story are living through wartime. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they enjoy that 21st century men do not, and vice-versa?
Essay Topic 2
Denial takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for the story. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Bierce choose to use these places in the story?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)