|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the soldier say happened at the bridge last winter?
2. Peyton comes from a highly respected family of __________________.
3. How does the soldier say he knows about the order?
4. What does Peyton ask the soldier?
5. What does the soldier say about the driftwood he saw?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the surprise twist ending of Part 2, the soldier in gray is identified to the reader as a Federal scout. Write a brief essay on how and why Peyton was chosen as a target for the Federal army. Be sure to include your opinion on whether this was a random event or whether Peyton had been singled out for specific reasons.
Essay Topic 2
Denial takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the story's title. What did the author mean by calling the story AN OCCURRENCE AT OWL CREEK BRIDGE? Isn't that just a little but of an understatement? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)