|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is aroused in Peyton at the end of Part 2?
2. At what time of day is Peyton approached by someone at his property?
3. Peyton is a civilian with _________________.
4. Peyton is devoted to the ____________________.
5. What can be inferred about the story at the end of Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bierce uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
The final part of Peyton's journey at the end of the story has what could be considered religious and spiritual motifs. Identify at least two of these motifs and explain what would make them consistent with a religious or spiritual genre.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of men in the 1860s when the men in the story are living through wartime. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they enjoy that 21st century men do not, and vice-versa?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)