|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The posted order states that any civilian caught interfering with the railroad ______________________.
2. The soldiers say the Yanks have already reached ________________________-.
3. Which of the following did Peyton NOT long to experience as a soldier?
4. Peyton comes from a highly respected family of __________________.
5. At what time of day is Peyton approached by someone at his property?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bierce uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
What is your opinion of Peyton Farquhar? Do you think he was a willful man bent on his own destruction for his own purposes? Or is he someone to be pitied for his misguided sense of loyalty and duty? Or is he someone else entirely? State your position on Peyton and support your answer with rationale.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)