|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Farquhar's demeanor about getting the water?
2. What does the soldier say happened at the bridge last winter?
3. What does the soldier say about the driftwood he saw?
4. Who is mentioned in the posted order?
5. What can be inferred about the story at the end of Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the tall black trees. Name two interpretations of what the trees could symbolize and cite reasons for your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Denial takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)