|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the soldier see lying against the pier the last time he was at the bridge?
2. Who does the soldier say is repairing the railroads?
3. The soldiers say the Yanks have already reached ________________________-.
4. What can be inferred about the crime Peyton may have committed?
5. What is the second question Peyton asks the soldier?
Essay Topic 1
Bierce is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of living in denial. Identify at least two instances about denial in the story and then cite an examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Denial takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)