|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the soldier see lying against the pier the last time he was at the bridge?
2. Peyton comes from a highly respected family of __________________.
3. What does the soldier say happened at the bridge last winter?
4. What is Peyton Farquhar's occupation?
5. How did the soldier approach Peyton's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bierce uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of man's inhumanity to man. Identify at least two examples about man's inhumanity to man in the book and provide support for your answers.
Essay Topic 3
In the surprise twist ending of Part 2, the soldier in gray is identified to the reader as a Federal scout. Write a brief essay on how and why Peyton was chosen as a target for the Federal army. Be sure to include your opinion on whether this was a random event or whether Peyton had been singled out for specific reasons.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)