|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the soldiers' ____________, death is to be honored.
2. Why is the man immobile?
3. What literary technique does the author use when he says that death is a dignitary?
4. Which of the following is NOT a rank among the men on the platform with the man?
5. How can the condemned man's eyes be described?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who s present as spectators of the event and how do they conduct themselves?
2. What is the fourth and final step of the execution?
3. How does Part 3 begin?
4. What does the condemned man view as his only chance at escape?
5. How does the second part of Part 3 begin and how can it be characterized?
6. What happens to startle Peyton out of his reverie of the beauty of the nature he sees?
7. Why is the condemned man not a typical hanging victim?
8. What kind of tension and feeling does the author leave the reader with at the end of Part 2?
9. What does the condemned man think of while closing his eyes and what breaks his concentration?
10. What is noted about the man's position and posture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of living in denial. Identify at least two instances about denial in the story and then cite an examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does Bierce use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Bierce is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)