|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role do the sentinels have in the impending execution?
2. Which of the following is NOT a step in the hanging?
3. What is the man looking at?
4. Why is the man immobile?
5. The method of execution in the story is __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the sentinels at the scene behave at the impending execution?
2. What does Peyton think has happened when everything goes cold and dark?
3. What do Peyton and the soldier do as Mrs. Farquhar gets the glass of water?
4. Why did Peyton not enlist in the Confederate army?
5. What is the fourth and final step of the execution?
6. What does the condemned man look at from his position?
7. Describe the vortex in which Peyton finds himself after thinking he was safe from the Federal soldiers.
8. What does the soldier tell Peyton about a notice that has been posted?
9. What is the unwritten rule guiding the soldiers in their demeanor at the execution?
10. What kind of tension and feeling does the author leave the reader with at the end of Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is your opinion of Peyton Farquhar? Do you think he was a willful man bent on his own destruction for his own purposes? Or is he someone to be pitied for his misguided sense of loyalty and duty? Or is he someone else entirely? State your position on Peyton and support your answer with rationale.
Essay Topic 2
Bierce is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of man's inhumanity to man. Identify at least two examples about man's inhumanity to man in the book and provide support for your answers.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)