|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of sound distracts the condemned man's thoughts?
2. The sentinels are as still as ________________.
3. What are the man's movements?
4. How many other men are on the platform with the man?
5. What is the man's probable profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the sentinels at the scene behave at the impending execution?
2. What is the setting for the story?
3. What is the point of view used by the author in Part 2 and how can you determine that.
4. Describe the vortex in which Peyton finds himself after thinking he was safe from the Federal soldiers.
5. How can Peyton's devotion to the Southern cause be identified?
6. What is the planter's name and where does he live?
7. What kind of tension and feeling does the author leave the reader with at the end of Part 2?
8. What happens just as Peyton is about to embrace his wife?
9. Describe the road that Peyton discovers.
10. How does Peyton's walking take a more pleasant tone and where does he end up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 3, Peyton's dream adventure allows him to escape through a highly creative twist. Write an essay that follow along the lines of Peyton's dream, adding your own twists of plot, character and imagery.
Essay Topic 2
What is your opinion of Peyton Farquhar? Do you think he was a willful man bent on his own destruction for his own purposes? Or is he someone to be pitied for his misguided sense of loyalty and duty? Or is he someone else entirely? State your position on Peyton and support your answer with rationale.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of Mrs. Farquhar in the story. How is she perceived by her husband? By the soldier in gray? Do you think she had any idea that her husband was going to put his life in jeopardy? How do you think she found out that her husband was hanged by the Federal army? Write an essay encompassing all these facets of Mrs. Farquhar from the limited information available about her.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)