|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The man in the noose stands at one end of the plank and __________________ stands at the other.
2. What does the condemned man NOT wear?
3. How many other men are on the platform with the man?
4. What does the condemned man note about the driftwood in the water below?
5. The condemned man feels as if his ears _______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Part 3 end?
2. How does the author use one word to indicate Mrs. Farquhar's devotion to the Confederate cause?
3. Explain how the author almost tries to warn Peyton by the statement of "All's fair in love and war."
4. How does Part 1 end?
5. What is the planter's name and where does he live?
6. Who s present as spectators of the event and how do they conduct themselves?
7. What is unexpected about the condemned man's appearance?
8. Describe the darkness and uncertainty of the forest and what incentive keeps Peyton moving.
9. Why is the condemned man not a typical hanging victim?
10. How is the apparatus for hanging the man set up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is your opinion of Peyton Farquhar? Do you think he was a willful man bent on his own destruction for his own purposes? Or is he someone to be pitied for his misguided sense of loyalty and duty? Or is he someone else entirely? State your position on Peyton and support your answer with rationale.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for the story. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Bierce choose to use these places in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Bierce uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)