|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the captain do after giving the signal to the sergeant?
2. What do the men in the infantry do while waiting for the execution?
3. What do all the men on the platform have in common?
4. What do the privates do after moving away from the man?
5. The man in the noose stands at one end of the plank and __________________ stands at the other.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Peyton ends up in a forest.
2. What is the condemned man's opinion on the execution method from his vantage point?
3. What happens just as Peyton is about to embrace his wife?
4. What is the point of view used by the author in Part 2 and how can you determine that.
5. Describe what Peyton feels immediately after falling through the bridge.
6. What kind of tension and feeling does the author leave the reader with at the end of Part 2?
7. What is unexpected about the condemned man's appearance?
8. What does Peyton experience when the rope is finally removed from his neck?
9. Why is the condemned man not a typical hanging victim?
10. How does Part 1 end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does Bierce use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for the story. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Bierce choose to use these places in the story?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)