|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the man's clothes indicate about him?
2. Where are the spectators located?
3. The man in the noose stands at one end of the plank and __________________ stands at the other.
4. The condemned man thinks the loud sound is like _____________________.
5. What does the condemned man think is the solution for his predicament?
Short Essay Questions
1. What frightens Peyton about the night sky and walking through the woods?
2. How does Part 2 help to fill in some information regarding the crime for which Peyton is to be hanged as learned in Part 1?
3. What does Peyton experience when the rope is finally removed from his neck?
4. How do the sentinels at the scene behave at the impending execution?
5. What is the first step in beginning the execution?
6. How does the soldier take his leave from the Farquhar home?
7. How does the author use one word to indicate Mrs. Farquhar's devotion to the Confederate cause?
8. How can Peyton's devotion to the Southern cause be identified?
9. What happens to startle Peyton out of his reverie of the beauty of the nature he sees?
10. What physical pain returns to Peyton as he walks on the road?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of man's inhumanity to man. Identify at least two examples about man's inhumanity to man in the book and provide support for your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 3
Denial takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,505 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)