Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the condemned man note about the driftwood in the water below?
2. What is the man standing on?
3. What are the slack boards laid upon?
4. What does the condemned man focus on in the water below?
5. Which of the following is NOT a rank among the men on the platform with the man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Peyton ends up in a forest.
2. What does the soldier tell Peyton about what the Yanks are doing?
3. How does the author use one word to indicate Mrs. Farquhar's devotion to the Confederate cause?
4. What is the point of view used by the author in Part 2 and how can you determine that.
5. What physical pain returns to Peyton as he walks on the road?
6. What does the condemned man view as his only chance at escape?
7. What does the soldier tell Peyton about a notice that has been posted?
8. Describe the road that Peyton discovers.
9. What is the unwritten rule guiding the soldiers in their demeanor at the execution?
10. How is the apparatus for hanging the man set up?
Essay Topic 1
Note the shifts in point of view in the story, sometimes even within the same part. Cite at least two examples of the shift in point of view and support your answers with reasons the author chose to write the story in this way.
Essay Topic 2
In the surprise twist ending of Part 2, the soldier in gray is identified to the reader as a Federal scout. Write a brief essay on how and why Peyton was chosen as a target for the Federal army. Be sure to include your opinion on whether this was a random event or whether Peyton had been singled out for specific reasons.
Essay Topic 3
Bierce uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)