|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the man doing with his hands?
2. How can the condemned man's eyes be described?
3. What does the condemned man focus on in the water below?
4. Where is the man standing at the beginning of Part 1?
5. In what direction is the man looking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the condemned man look at from his position?
2. What is the condemned man's opinion on the execution method from his vantage point?
3. What do Peyton and the soldier do as Mrs. Farquhar gets the glass of water?
4. Describe the clarity of Peyton's senses when he surfaces.
5. What is the first step in beginning the execution?
6. Who does Peyton see coming to meet him and how does he respond?
7. How does the second part of Part 3 begin and how can it be characterized?
8. What does the soldier tell Peyton about what the Yanks are doing?
9. What can be determined about the condemned man by his appearance?
10. What frightens Peyton about the night sky and walking through the woods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Note the shifts in point of view in the story, sometimes even within the same part. Cite at least two examples of the shift in point of view and support your answers with reasons the author chose to write the story in this way.
Essay Topic 2
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the tall black trees. Name two interpretations of what the trees could symbolize and cite reasons for your answers.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)