|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the condemned man note about the driftwood in the water below?
2. What is the man standing on?
3. What are the slack boards laid upon?
4. What does the condemned man focus on in the water below?
5. Which of the following is NOT a rank among the men on the platform with the man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Peyton ends up in a forest.
2. What does the soldier tell Peyton about what the Yanks are doing?
3. How does the author use one word to indicate Mrs. Farquhar's devotion to the Confederate cause?
4. What is the point of view used by the author in Part 2 and how can you determine that.
5. What physical pain returns to Peyton as he walks on the road?
6. What does the condemned man view as his only chance at escape?
7. What does the soldier tell Peyton about a notice that has been posted?
8. Describe the road that Peyton discovers.
9. What is the unwritten rule guiding the soldiers in their demeanor at the execution?
10. How is the apparatus for hanging the man set up?
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for the story. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Bierce choose to use these places in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of men in the 1860s when the men in the story are living through wartime. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they enjoy that 21st century men do not, and vice-versa?
Essay Topic 3
Bierce is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,376 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)