|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The condemned man thinks the loud sound is like _____________________.
2. What do all the men on the platform have in common?
3. What does the condemned man NOT wear?
4. What is the man looking at?
5. What role do the sentinels have in the impending execution?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the sentinels at the scene behave at the impending execution?
2. What does the condemned man think of while closing his eyes and what breaks his concentration?
3. What does Peyton want to know after the mention of the posted notice?
4. What is known about Peyton's allegiance to the Confederate cause?
5. Explain how Peyton ends up in a forest.
6. Describe how the metallic sound affects the man and what does he discover is the source of the sound?
7. What is the setting for the story?
8. What happens just as Peyton is about to embrace his wife?
9. How does the author use one word to indicate Mrs. Farquhar's devotion to the Confederate cause?
10. What are Peyton and his wife doing at the beginning of Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for the story. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Bierce choose to use these places in the story?
Essay Topic 2
The final part of Peyton's journey at the end of the story has what could be considered religious and spiritual motifs. Identify at least two of these motifs and explain what would make them consistent with a religious or spiritual genre.
Essay Topic 3
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the tall black trees. Name two interpretations of what the trees could symbolize and cite reasons for your answers.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)