Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What signal does the captain give to the sergeant?
2. Which of the following does NOT describe the condemned man?
3. What are the man's movements?
4. The sergeant salutes the captain and ____________________.
5. What does the condemned man note about the driftwood in the water below?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the sentinels at the scene behave at the impending execution?
2. What does Peyton experience when the rope is finally removed from his neck?
3. What does Peyton want to know after the mention of the posted notice?
4. What kind of tension and feeling does the author leave the reader with at the end of Part 2?
5. Explain the third step in the execution.
6. How does Part 3 begin?
7. What surprise twist occurs in the plot an hour after the soldier leaves the Farquhar house?
8. What do Peyton and the soldier do as Mrs. Farquhar gets the glass of water?
9. What can be determined about the condemned man by his appearance?
10. Why did Peyton not enlist in the Confederate army?
In Part 3, Peyton's dream adventure allows him to escape through a highly creative twist. Write an essay that follow along the lines of Peyton's dream, adding your own twists of plot, character and imagery.
In the surprise twist ending of Part 2, the soldier in gray is identified to the reader as a Federal scout. Write a brief essay on how and why Peyton was chosen as a target for the Federal army. Be sure to include your opinion on whether this was a random event or whether Peyton had been singled out for specific reasons.
AN OCCURRENCE AT OWL CREEK BRIDGE is a classic escape from reality story. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)