|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the sentinels standing guard?
2. The soldiers treat death with military etiquette and _______________.
3. What is the man doing with his hands?
4. What does the condemned man want to take off his body?
5. Which of the following does NOT describe the condemned man?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can Peyton's devotion to the Southern cause be identified?
2. What questions does the author plant in the reader's mind about why Peyton was selected for the encounter with the Federal scout?
3. How does Peyton's walking take a more pleasant tone and where does he end up?
4. What physical pain returns to Peyton as he walks on the road?
5. What does the condemned man look at from his position?
6. What surprise twist occurs in the plot an hour after the soldier leaves the Farquhar house?
7. How did Peyton characterize himself?
8. What is the point of view used by the author in Part 2 and how can you determine that.
9. What is noted about the man's position and posture?
10. How does Part 2 help to fill in some information regarding the crime for which Peyton is to be hanged as learned in Part 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of living in denial. Identify at least two instances about denial in the story and then cite an examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
AN OCCURRENCE AT OWL CREEK BRIDGE is a classic escape from reality story. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Peyton Farquhar. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)