|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe the condemned man?
2. Where are the spectators located?
3. What type of sound distracts the condemned man's thoughts?
4. How can the condemned man's eyes be described?
5. What are the slack boards laid upon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony that Peyton notes after he has landed in the water with the noose still around his neck?
2. What do Peyton and the soldier do as Mrs. Farquhar gets the glass of water?
3. How does the author use one word to indicate Mrs. Farquhar's devotion to the Confederate cause?
4. How can Part 3 be considered to be broken into two parts and how would the first part be characterized?
5. How does the soldier take his leave from the Farquhar home?
6. What happens to startle Peyton out of his reverie of the beauty of the nature he sees?
7. Describe the clarity of Peyton's senses when he surfaces.
8. Explain the third step in the execution.
9. What does the condemned man view as his only chance at escape?
10. What is noted about the man's position and posture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of living in denial. Identify at least two instances about denial in the story and then cite an examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Note the shifts in point of view in the story, sometimes even within the same part. Cite at least two examples of the shift in point of view and support your answers with reasons the author chose to write the story in this way.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for the story. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Bierce choose to use these places in the story?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)