|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The sergeant salutes the captain and ____________________.
2. What is the man looking at?
3. What crime has the condemned man committed?
4. What does the condemned man note about the driftwood in the water below?
5. Where is the man standing at the beginning of Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of tension and feeling does the author leave the reader with at the end of Part 2?
2. What do Peyton and the soldier do as Mrs. Farquhar gets the glass of water?
3. What frightens Peyton about the night sky and walking through the woods?
4. Describe the clarity of Peyton's senses when he surfaces.
5. Explain the second step in the execution.
6. What is the fourth and final step of the execution?
7. What happens just as Peyton is about to embrace his wife?
8. How can Part 3 be considered to be broken into two parts and how would the first part be characterized?
9. What questions does the author plant in the reader's mind about why Peyton was selected for the encounter with the Federal scout?
10. What physical pain returns to Peyton as he walks on the road?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 3, Peyton's dream adventure allows him to escape through a highly creative twist. Write an essay that follow along the lines of Peyton's dream, adding your own twists of plot, character and imagery.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of man's inhumanity to man. Identify at least two examples about man's inhumanity to man in the book and provide support for your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Bierce uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)