|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the condemned man view the system of execution?
2. What color eyes does the condemned man have?
3. The sentinels are as still as ________________.
4. The method of execution in the story is __________________.
5. What does the condemned man NOT wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What frightens Peyton about the night sky and walking through the woods?
2. What surprise twist occurs in the plot an hour after the soldier leaves the Farquhar house?
3. How does the soldier take his leave from the Farquhar home?
4. How does the author use one word to indicate Mrs. Farquhar's devotion to the Confederate cause?
5. How does Part 3 end?
6. What is the point of view used by the author in Part 2 and how can you determine that.
7. What is unexpected about the condemned man's appearance?
8. What does the condemned man look at from his position?
9. How does Part 3 begin?
10. How does Peyton's walking take a more pleasant tone and where does he end up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Note the shifts in point of view in the story, sometimes even within the same part. Cite at least two examples of the shift in point of view and support your answers with reasons the author chose to write the story in this way.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of living in denial. Identify at least two instances about denial in the story and then cite an examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of men in the 1860s when the men in the story are living through wartime. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they enjoy that 21st century men do not, and vice-versa?
This section contains 1,351 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)