|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the position of the man to be hanged?
2. What are the man's movements?
3. What holds the critical plank in place?
4. What color eyes does the condemned man have?
5. What does the condemned man want to take off his body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting for the story?
2. What does the soldier tell Peyton about a notice that has been posted?
3. What does the soldier tell Peyton about what the Yanks are doing?
4. Describe how the metallic sound affects the man and what does he discover is the source of the sound?
5. Describe the road that Peyton discovers.
6. Who does Peyton see coming to meet him and how does he respond?
7. Why did Peyton not enlist in the Confederate army?
8. What is known about Peyton's allegiance to the Confederate cause?
9. Explain the second step in the execution.
10. How did Peyton characterize himself?
Essay Topic 1
Bierce uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
What is your opinion of Peyton Farquhar? Do you think he was a willful man bent on his own destruction for his own purposes? Or is he someone to be pitied for his misguided sense of loyalty and duty? Or is he someone else entirely? State your position on Peyton and support your answer with rationale.
Essay Topic 3
Denial takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,351 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)