|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the captain do after giving the signal to the sergeant?
2. Which of the following does NOT describe the condemned man?
3. What is the man's probable profession?
4. What does the condemned man want to do as the noise pounds in his head?
5. Who is the author of AN OCCURRENCE AT OWL CREEK BRIDGE?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the unwritten rule guiding the soldiers in their demeanor at the execution?
2. Explain the second step in the execution.
3. What is the condemned man's opinion on the execution method from his vantage point?
4. What does Peyton think has happened when everything goes cold and dark?
5. How do the sentinels at the scene behave at the impending execution?
6. What does the condemned man view as his only chance at escape?
7. How does Peyton's walking take a more pleasant tone and where does he end up?
8. What does the soldier tell Peyton about a notice that has been posted?
9. How does Part 1 end?
10. What does the soldier tell Peyton about what the Yanks are doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 3, Peyton's dream adventure allows him to escape through a highly creative twist. Write an essay that follow along the lines of Peyton's dream, adding your own twists of plot, character and imagery.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does Bierce use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the story's title. What did the author mean by calling the story AN OCCURRENCE AT OWL CREEK BRIDGE? Isn't that just a little but of an understatement? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)