|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary technique does the author use when he says that death is a dignitary?
2. What crime has the condemned man committed?
3. How old is the man to be hanged?
4. Which of the following does NOT describe the condemned man?
5. The condemned man feels as if his ears _______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to startle Peyton out of his reverie of the beauty of the nature he sees?
2. What kind of tension and feeling does the author leave the reader with at the end of Part 2?
3. How does Part 1 end?
4. What can be determined about the condemned man by his appearance?
5. Who does Peyton see coming to meet him and how does he respond?
6. What is the condemned man's opinion on the execution method from his vantage point?
7. How do the sentinels at the scene behave at the impending execution?
8. What could account for Peyton's experiences in Part 3?
9. How does Part 3 end?
10. What is unexpected about the condemned man's appearance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of man's inhumanity to man. Identify at least two examples about man's inhumanity to man in the book and provide support for your answers.
Essay Topic 2
AN OCCURRENCE AT OWL CREEK BRIDGE is a classic escape from reality story. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Bierce uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)