|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did Peyton NOT long to experience as a soldier?
(a) The opportunity for distinction.
(b) Shooting enemy soldiers.
(c) The honor of a soldier's life.
(d) Something to put his energies into.
2. Peyton wants to know _______________________ if he could overcome the sentinel.
(a) If a civilian would need help.
(b) Why a civilian would want to risk it even.
(c) If a civilian would get a reward.
(d) What a civilian could accomplish.
3. What did the soldier see lying against the pier the last time he was at the bridge?
(b) Fishing poles.
(c) Some guns.
(d) A dead body.
4. What does Peyton think about his opportunity to serve in the war?
(a) It will never come.
(b) It will come at some point.
(c) It may come if he is patient.
(d) He will have to be alert and on the lookout.
5. What can be inferred about the crime Peyton may have committed?
(a) He shot a Yankee general.
(b) He burned a neighbor's plantation.
(c) He set fire to the driftwood to burn the bridge.
(d) He deserted from the army.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peyton ask after the soldier tells about the order?
2. Who approaches Peyton and his wife as they sit outside their home?
3. For what does the soldier ask?
4. What did the soldier ask Peyton regarding directions?
5. What is the soldier's true job?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)