|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does the condemned man NOT visualize in his mind?
(a) Shooting the sergeant.
(b) Diving into the water.
(c) Swimming away.
(d) Ripping off the noose.
2. Where are the spectators located?
(a) In bleachers.
(b) Standing in the grass.
(c) In line at parade rest.
(d) In a special soundproof room.
3. According to the soldiers' ____________, death is to be honored.
(a) Unwritten code.
(c) Rule book.
4. The soldiers treat death with military etiquette and _______________.
5. What does the condemned man NOT wear?
(b) A hat.
(c) A tie.
(d) A hood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the position of the man to be hanged?
2. The condemned man thinks the loud sound is like _____________________.
3. The rope around the man's neck is attached to ______________________.
4. The condemned man feels as if his ears _______________________.
5. The man in the noose stands at one end of the plank and __________________ stands at the other.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the unwritten rule guiding the soldiers in their demeanor at the execution?
2. What could account for Peyton's experiences in Part 3?
3. How does the soldier take his leave from the Farquhar home?
4. What is the setting for the story?
5. How does the author use one word to indicate Mrs. Farquhar's devotion to the Confederate cause?
6. Describe the vortex in which Peyton finds himself after thinking he was safe from the Federal soldiers.
7. Why is the condemned man not a typical hanging victim?
8. How does Part 3 begin?
9. What happens just as Peyton is about to embrace his wife?
10. What is the planter's name and where does he live?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)