|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the sentinels standing guard?
(a) The ends of the bridge.
(b) In boats.
(c) In trees.
(d) In nearby fields.
2. Which of the following is NOT a step in the hanging?
(a) The sergeant will step off the plank.
(b) The plank will tilt.
(c) The sergeant will slap the horse.
(d) The man will fall.
3. The method of execution in the story is __________________.
(d) Military style.
4. The soldiers treat death with military etiquette and _______________.
5. Who are the spectators for the execution?
(a) Families of the victim.
(b) Some news reporters.
(c) A company of infantrymen.
(d) Some nosy local people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the condemned man focus on in the water below?
2. Why is the man immobile?
3. What type of sound distracts the condemned man's thoughts?
4. What is the position of the man to be hanged?
5. How many sentinels stand guard over the men on the platform?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Peyton see coming to meet him and how does he respond?
2. How can Part 3 be considered to be broken into two parts and how would the first part be characterized?
3. Why is the condemned man not a typical hanging victim?
4. What is the first step in beginning the execution?
5. What physical pain returns to Peyton as he walks on the road?
6. What idea does the soldier offer up on how a person could accomplish something regarding the destruction of the bridge?
7. How do the sentinels at the scene behave at the impending execution?
8. What do Peyton and the soldier do as Mrs. Farquhar gets the glass of water?
9. How can Peyton's devotion to the Southern cause be identified?
10. What does the soldier tell Peyton about a notice that has been posted?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)