|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What crime has the condemned man committed?
(c) It is unknown at this point.
2. Which of the following is NOT a step in the hanging?
(a) The sergeant will slap the horse.
(b) The man will fall.
(c) The plank will tilt.
(d) The sergeant will step off the plank.
3. The soldiers treat death with military etiquette and _______________.
4. During what war does the story take place?
(a) World War I.
(b) The Korean War.
(c) World War II.
(d) The Civil War.
5. Who are the spectators for the execution?
(a) Some nosy local people.
(b) A company of infantrymen.
(c) Families of the victim.
(d) Some news reporters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the man's clothes indicate about him?
2. Which of the following is NOT a rank among the men on the platform with the man?
3. Who stands with the spectators?
4. The sentinels are as still as ________________.
5. Which of the following does NOT describe the condemned man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens just as Peyton is about to embrace his wife?
2. Describe the darkness and uncertainty of the forest and what incentive keeps Peyton moving.
3. What physical pain returns to Peyton as he walks on the road?
4. What is the planter's name and where does he live?
5. How does the author use one word to indicate Mrs. Farquhar's devotion to the Confederate cause?
6. Explain the third step in the execution.
7. What frightens Peyton about the night sky and walking through the woods?
8. Why did Peyton not enlist in the Confederate army?
9. What surprise twist occurs in the plot an hour after the soldier leaves the Farquhar house?
10. How does the soldier take his leave from the Farquhar home?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)