|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the man standing on?
(b) Ship's plank.
(c) Slack boards.
2. What does the condemned man note about the driftwood in the water below?
(a) It is very small.
(b) It is gray.
(c) It is moving slowly.
(d) It is huge.
3. During what war does the story take place?
(a) The Civil War.
(b) The Korean War.
(c) World War II.
(d) World War I.
4. What is the man's probable profession?
5. What is the man doing with his hands?
(a) They are tied behind his back.
(b) He is waving to his friends.
(c) He is clapping.
(d) He is signalling for help.
Short Answer Questions
1. The sentinels are as still as ________________.
2. What color eyes does the condemned man have?
3. What holds the critical plank in place?
4. How can the condemned man's eyes be described?
5. Where are the spectators located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What could account for Peyton's experiences in Part 3?
2. What is the fourth and final step of the execution?
3. What is known about Peyton's allegiance to the Confederate cause?
4. How does Part 3 end?
5. What is the setting for the story?
6. Describe the vortex in which Peyton finds himself after thinking he was safe from the Federal soldiers.
7. Describe the road that Peyton discovers.
8. What does the soldier tell Peyton about what the Yanks are doing?
9. What does Peyton experience when the rope is finally removed from his neck?
10. How is the apparatus for hanging the man set up?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)