|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The sergeant salutes the captain and ____________________.
(a) Moves to stand behind him.
(b) Blows a bugle.
(c) Rides away on his horse.
(d) Orders the men to shoot.
2. What type of sound distracts the condemned man's thoughts?
3. What is the man standing on?
(c) Ship's plank.
(d) Slack boards.
4. Where are the spectators located?
(a) In bleachers.
(b) Standing in the grass.
(c) In a special soundproof room.
(d) In line at parade rest.
5. What is the man doing with his hands?
(a) He is waving to his friends.
(b) They are tied behind his back.
(c) He is signalling for help.
(d) He is clapping.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the man immobile?
2. Who stands with the spectators?
3. The method of execution in the story is __________________.
4. What does the captain do after giving the signal to the sergeant?
5. Where is the man standing at the beginning of Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is known about Peyton's allegiance to the Confederate cause?
2. What is noted about the man's position and posture?
3. What is the irony that Peyton notes after he has landed in the water with the noose still around his neck?
4. Describe the vortex in which Peyton finds himself after thinking he was safe from the Federal soldiers.
5. How does the second part of Part 3 begin and how can it be characterized?
6. What are Peyton and his wife doing at the beginning of Part 2?
7. Explain the second step in the execution.
8. Why did Peyton not enlist in the Confederate army?
9. Why is the condemned man not a typical hanging victim?
10. Describe the clarity of Peyton's senses when he surfaces.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)