|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color eyes does the condemned man have?
2. What do the man's clothes indicate about him?
(a) He is too young to die.
(b) He is a criminal.
(c) He has been sucessful.
(d) He is a soldier.
3. The rope around the man's neck is attached to ______________________.
(a) A scaffold.
(b) A cross timber.
(c) A tree.
(d) A forklift.
4. Which of the following does the condemned man NOT visualize in his mind?
(a) Shooting the sergeant.
(b) Ripping off the noose.
(c) Swimming away.
(d) Diving into the water.
5. What is the source of the sound that the condemned man hears?
(a) The bridge.
(b) His watch.
(c) A chain.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the condemned man view the system of execution?
2. In what direction is the man looking?
3. Who stands with the spectators?
4. Where are the spectators located?
5. According to the soldiers' ____________, death is to be honored.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Part 3 end?
2. How can Part 3 be considered to be broken into two parts and how would the first part be characterized?
3. What idea does the soldier offer up on how a person could accomplish something regarding the destruction of the bridge?
4. What kind of tension and feeling does the author leave the reader with at the end of Part 2?
5. What is the setting for the story?
6. What is the fourth and final step of the execution?
7. Why did Peyton not enlist in the Confederate army?
8. Explain the third step in the execution.
9. What does the condemned man think of while closing his eyes and what breaks his concentration?
10. What does the soldier tell Peyton about a notice that has been posted?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)