|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the date of the beginning of Part 1?
(a) It not known.
(b) April 7, 1813.
(c) June 25, 1864.
(d) September 15, 1954.
2. What are the man's movements?
(a) He is jumping up and down.
(b) He is doing acrobatics.
(c) He is exercising on the ground.
(d) He is fixed on one spot.
3. What is the man doing with his hands?
(a) They are tied behind his back.
(b) He is signalling for help.
(c) He is clapping.
(d) He is waving to his friends.
4. What do the men in the infantry do while waiting for the execution?
(a) Close their eyes.
(c) Stare forward.
(d) Sit down.
5. What signal does the captain give to the sergeant?
(a) He winks.
(b) He salutes.
(c) He nods.
(d) He shakes his hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the privates do after moving away from the man?
2. How can the condemned man's eyes be described?
3. What holds the critical plank in place?
4. Which of the following does NOT describe the condemned man?
5. What does the man think of when he closes his eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Peyton characterize himself?
2. Who s present as spectators of the event and how do they conduct themselves?
3. Describe the road that Peyton discovers.
4. How does Peyton reveal that he is thinking of violating the posted notice in order to help the Southern cause?
5. What is the planter's name and where does he live?
6. What is the unwritten rule guiding the soldiers in their demeanor at the execution?
7. What happens just as Peyton is about to embrace his wife?
8. What is the first step in beginning the execution?
9. How can Peyton's devotion to the Southern cause be identified?
10. What is the fourth and final step of the execution?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)