|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The sergeant salutes the captain and ____________________.
(a) Orders the men to shoot.
(b) Rides away on his horse.
(c) Moves to stand behind him.
(d) Blows a bugle.
2. What is the source of the sound that the condemned man hears?
(a) The bridge.
(b) A chain.
(c) His watch.
3. Which of the following does NOT describe the condemned man?
(c) Common criminal.
4. What are the slack boards laid upon?
(d) Railway supports.
5. What does the condemned man think is the solution for his predicament?
(a) Finding his gun.
(b) Freeing his hands.
(c) Talking to the governor.
(d) Bribing the guards.
Short Answer Questions
1. What holds the critical plank in place?
2. What is the date of the beginning of Part 1?
3. What does the captain do after giving the signal to the sergeant?
4. When it is time for the execution, who moves away from the location first?
5. What do the man's clothes indicate about him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use one word to indicate Mrs. Farquhar's devotion to the Confederate cause?
2. Describe what Peyton feels immediately after falling through the bridge.
3. What does the condemned man view as his only chance at escape?
4. How does Part 1 end?
5. What other characters appear at the scene with the condemned man?
6. What is the first step in beginning the execution?
7. Describe the clarity of Peyton's senses when he surfaces.
8. What do Peyton and the soldier do as Mrs. Farquhar gets the glass of water?
9. What is the planter's name and where does he live?
10. What does Peyton think has happened when everything goes cold and dark?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)