|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the man's probable profession?
2. What does the condemned man focus on in the water below?
(a) Salmon swimming upstream.
(b) A piece of driftwood.
(d) Sun sparkling on the surface.
3. What does the man think of when he closes his eyes?
(a) His wife and children.
(c) His home.
(d) His mother.
4. What does the condemned man NOT wear?
(a) A hat.
(b) A hood.
(d) A tie.
5. What color eyes does the condemned man have?
Short Answer Questions
1. The soldiers treat death with military etiquette and _______________.
2. When it is time for the execution, who moves away from the location first?
3. Who are the spectators for the execution?
4. What is the man looking at?
5. What is the man doing with his hands?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the author almost tries to warn Peyton by the statement of "All's fair in love and war."
2. What can be determined about the condemned man by his appearance?
3. What does Peyton experience when the rope is finally removed from his neck?
4. Explain how Peyton ends up in a forest.
5. How does Part 1 end?
6. Who s present as spectators of the event and how do they conduct themselves?
7. Who does Peyton see coming to meet him and how does he respond?
8. What is the planter's name and where does he live?
9. How does Peyton reveal that he is thinking of violating the posted notice in order to help the Southern cause?
10. What questions does the author plant in the reader's mind about why Peyton was selected for the encounter with the Federal scout?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)