|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the condemned man think is the solution for his predicament?
(a) Talking to the governor.
(b) Freeing his hands.
(c) Bribing the guards.
(d) Finding his gun.
2. What is the man doing with his hands?
(a) He is waving to his friends.
(b) He is clapping.
(c) They are tied behind his back.
(d) He is signalling for help.
3. What signal does the captain give to the sergeant?
(a) He nods.
(b) He salutes.
(c) He winks.
(d) He shakes his hand.
4. Which of the following does NOT describe the condemned man?
(b) Common criminal.
5. What literary technique does the author use when he says that death is a dignitary?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does the condemned man NOT visualize in his mind?
2. What role do the sentinels have in the impending execution?
3. What are the slack boards laid upon?
4. In what state is the man located?
5. Where is the man standing at the beginning of Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the second part of Part 3 begin and how can it be characterized?
2. What physical pain returns to Peyton as he walks on the road?
3. How is the apparatus for hanging the man set up?
4. How does the soldier take his leave from the Farquhar home?
5. What other characters appear at the scene with the condemned man?
6. What does Peyton experience when the rope is finally removed from his neck?
7. What is the setting for the story?
8. What is known about Peyton's allegiance to the Confederate cause?
9. How does Part 2 help to fill in some information regarding the crime for which Peyton is to be hanged as learned in Part 1?
10. What frightens Peyton about the night sky and walking through the woods?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)