|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How can the condemned man's eyes be described?
2. According to the soldiers' ____________, death is to be honored.
(b) Rule book.
(d) Unwritten code.
3. Which of the following is NOT a rank among the men on the platform with the man?
4. In what state is the man located?
5. What do all the men on the platform have in common?
(a) They all have brown hair.
(b) They are all bald.
(c) They are from the Federal army.
(d) They are all smoking cigars.
Short Answer Questions
1. When it is time for the execution, who moves away from the location first?
2. What literary technique does the author use when he says that death is a dignitary?
3. How many sentinels stand guard over the men on the platform?
4. What type of sound distracts the condemned man's thoughts?
5. What is the man looking at?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprise twist occurs in the plot an hour after the soldier leaves the Farquhar house?
2. What is unexpected about the condemned man's appearance?
3. What happens just as Peyton is about to embrace his wife?
4. What happens to startle Peyton out of his reverie of the beauty of the nature he sees?
5. How does the second part of Part 3 begin and how can it be characterized?
6. What is the fourth and final step of the execution?
7. What is known about Peyton's allegiance to the Confederate cause?
8. What is the point of view used by the author in Part 2 and how can you determine that.
9. Explain how the author almost tries to warn Peyton by the statement of "All's fair in love and war."
10. Describe the vortex in which Peyton finds himself after thinking he was safe from the Federal soldiers.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)