|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The sergeant salutes the captain and ____________________.
(a) Rides away on his horse.
(b) Moves to stand behind him.
(c) Orders the men to shoot.
(d) Blows a bugle.
2. What are the slack boards laid upon?
(c) Railway supports.
3. What type of sound distracts the condemned man's thoughts?
4. Which of the following is NOT a step in the hanging?
(a) The sergeant will step off the plank.
(b) The man will fall.
(c) The sergeant will slap the horse.
(d) The plank will tilt.
5. Where is the man standing at the beginning of Part 1?
(a) A railroad bridge.
(b) A city street.
(c) An alley.
(d) A cave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the man looking at?
2. During what war does the story take place?
3. What do the man's clothes indicate about him?
4. How many sentinels stand guard over the men on the platform?
5. The sound becomes ______________ for the condemned man.
Short Essay Questions
1. What could account for Peyton's experiences in Part 3?
2. Describe what Peyton feels immediately after falling through the bridge.
3. Who does Peyton see coming to meet him and how does he respond?
4. What idea does the soldier offer up on how a person could accomplish something regarding the destruction of the bridge?
5. How does the second part of Part 3 begin and how can it be characterized?
6. What does Peyton think has happened when everything goes cold and dark?
7. What happens just as Peyton is about to embrace his wife?
8. How does Part 3 end?
9. What frightens Peyton about the night sky and walking through the woods?
10. What is the irony that Peyton notes after he has landed in the water with the noose still around his neck?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)