|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When it is time for the execution, who moves away from the location first?
(a) The sergeant.
(b) The colonel.
(c) The two privates.
(d) The general.
2. Who stands with the spectators?
(a) A lieutenant.
(b) The governor.
(c) A minister.
(d) The mayor.
3. What holds the critical plank in place?
(a) An anchor.
(b) A horse.
(c) The sergeant.
(d) A rope.
4. What is the man doing with his hands?
(a) He is signalling for help.
(b) He is waving to his friends.
(c) They are tied behind his back.
(d) He is clapping.
5. How old is the man to be hanged?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the condemned man view the system of execution?
2. What does the captain do after giving the signal to the sergeant?
3. What are the slack boards laid upon?
4. What do all the men on the platform have in common?
5. What do the men in the infantry do while waiting for the execution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is noted about the man's position and posture?
2. What is known about Peyton's allegiance to the Confederate cause?
3. How do the sentinels at the scene behave at the impending execution?
4. Explain how the author almost tries to warn Peyton by the statement of "All's fair in love and war."
5. Why is the condemned man not a typical hanging victim?
6. Explain the second step in the execution.
7. Why did Peyton not enlist in the Confederate army?
8. What questions does the author plant in the reader's mind about why Peyton was selected for the encounter with the Federal scout?
9. What are Peyton and his wife doing at the beginning of Part 2?
10. How does the soldier take his leave from the Farquhar home?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)