|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the slack boards laid upon?
(a) Railway supports.
2. Where is the man standing at the beginning of Part 1?
(a) An alley.
(b) A railroad bridge.
(c) A city street.
(d) A cave.
3. What crime has the condemned man committed?
(c) It is unknown at this point.
4. What role do the sentinels have in the impending execution?
(a) They arrested the men.
(b) They are waiting on word of a reprieve.
(c) No role.
(d) They will give the signal to proceed.
5. What do the privates do after moving away from the man?
(a) Pull away their planks.
(b) Ride away.
(c) Stand in silence.
(d) Wipe their brows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary technique does the author use when he says that death is a dignitary?
2. Who is the author of AN OCCURRENCE AT OWL CREEK BRIDGE?
3. What is the date of the beginning of Part 1?
4. The sound becomes ______________ for the condemned man.
5. What are the man's movements?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can be determined about the condemned man by his appearance?
2. Describe the clarity of Peyton's senses when he surfaces.
3. What other characters appear at the scene with the condemned man?
4. What physical pain returns to Peyton as he walks on the road?
5. How do the sentinels at the scene behave at the impending execution?
6. How does Part 3 end?
7. What is the fourth and final step of the execution?
8. Describe how the metallic sound affects the man and what does he discover is the source of the sound?
9. What is known about Peyton's allegiance to the Confederate cause?
10. What does Peyton experience when the rope is finally removed from his neck?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)