|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role do the sentinels have in the impending execution?
(a) No role.
(b) They arrested the men.
(c) They will give the signal to proceed.
(d) They are waiting on word of a reprieve.
2. Why is the man immobile?
(a) He is playing a game.
(b) His neck is in a noose.
(c) He is trying to hide.
(d) He is paralyzed.
3. What does the man think of when he closes his eyes?
(b) His mother.
(c) His home.
(d) His wife and children.
4. What does the condemned man note about the driftwood in the water below?
(a) It is huge.
(b) It is very small.
(c) It is gray.
(d) It is moving slowly.
5. Who stands with the spectators?
(a) A minister.
(b) A lieutenant.
(c) The mayor.
(d) The governor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men in the infantry do while waiting for the execution?
2. What does the captain do after giving the signal to the sergeant?
3. The remaining plank spans how many railroad ties?
4. How many sentinels stand guard over the men on the platform?
5. Which of the following does the condemned man NOT visualize in his mind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What physical pain returns to Peyton as he walks on the road?
2. What does the soldier tell Peyton about a notice that has been posted?
3. What does Peyton want to know after the mention of the posted notice?
4. What does the soldier tell Peyton about what the Yanks are doing?
5. What happens to startle Peyton out of his reverie of the beauty of the nature he sees?
6. What does Peyton think has happened when everything goes cold and dark?
7. How does Part 3 begin?
8. How do the sentinels at the scene behave at the impending execution?
9. How can Peyton's devotion to the Southern cause be identified?
10. What happens just as Peyton is about to embrace his wife?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)