|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The man in the noose stands at one end of the plank and __________________ stands at the other.
(a) The sergeant.
(b) A minister.
(c) A private.
(d) The governor.
2. The sentinels are as still as ________________.
3. What does the condemned man think is the solution for his predicament?
(a) Finding his gun.
(b) Freeing his hands.
(c) Bribing the guards.
(d) Talking to the governor.
4. What are the slack boards laid upon?
(b) Railway supports.
5. Who are the spectators for the execution?
(a) Some nosy local people.
(b) A company of infantrymen.
(c) Families of the victim.
(d) Some news reporters.
Short Answer Questions
1. The sergeant salutes the captain and ____________________.
2. The soldiers treat death with military etiquette and _______________.
3. What does the condemned man note about the driftwood in the water below?
4. What type of sound distracts the condemned man's thoughts?
5. Why is the man immobile?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the soldier tell Peyton about a notice that has been posted?
2. What kind of tension and feeling does the author leave the reader with at the end of Part 2?
3. What does Peyton experience when the rope is finally removed from his neck?
4. Describe the darkness and uncertainty of the forest and what incentive keeps Peyton moving.
5. Explain the third step in the execution.
6. What is known about Peyton's allegiance to the Confederate cause?
7. How does Part 2 help to fill in some information regarding the crime for which Peyton is to be hanged as learned in Part 1?
8. How does Part 3 begin?
9. How does the soldier take his leave from the Farquhar home?
10. Describe the vortex in which Peyton finds himself after thinking he was safe from the Federal soldiers.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)