|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the man standing on?
(a) Ship's plank.
(d) Slack boards.
2. What literary technique does the author use when he says that death is a dignitary?
3. What type of sound distracts the condemned man's thoughts?
4. During what war does the story take place?
(a) World War I.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) The Korean War.
(d) World War II.
5. What does the man think of when he closes his eyes?
(b) His home.
(c) His mother.
(d) His wife and children.
Short Answer Questions
1. The rope around the man's neck is attached to ______________________.
2. What is the source of the sound that the condemned man hears?
3. What do the man's clothes indicate about him?
4. What does the condemned man focus on in the water below?
5. Who are the spectators for the execution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is known about Peyton's allegiance to the Confederate cause?
2. Explain the second step in the execution.
3. What kind of tension and feeling does the author leave the reader with at the end of Part 2?
4. What frightens Peyton about the night sky and walking through the woods?
5. What do Peyton and the soldier do as Mrs. Farquhar gets the glass of water?
6. What is the setting for the story?
7. What idea does the soldier offer up on how a person could accomplish something regarding the destruction of the bridge?
8. What does Peyton want to know after the mention of the posted notice?
9. Why is the condemned man not a typical hanging victim?
10. What happens to startle Peyton out of his reverie of the beauty of the nature he sees?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)