|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a step in the hanging?
(a) The sergeant will step off the plank.
(b) The plank will tilt.
(c) The man will fall.
(d) The sergeant will slap the horse.
2. What is the position of the man to be hanged?
(a) A civilian.
(b) A wayward politician.
(c) A spy.
(d) A military officer.
3. What is the man's probable profession?
4. What does the condemned man focus on in the water below?
(a) Salmon swimming upstream.
(b) A piece of driftwood.
(c) Sun sparkling on the surface.
5. Where are the spectators located?
(a) In bleachers.
(b) Standing in the grass.
(c) In line at parade rest.
(d) In a special soundproof room.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what direction is the man looking?
2. What does the condemned man NOT wear?
3. The man in the noose stands at one end of the plank and __________________ stands at the other.
4. What crime has the condemned man committed?
5. What do the man's clothes indicate about him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can Part 3 be considered to be broken into two parts and how would the first part be characterized?
2. What surprise twist occurs in the plot an hour after the soldier leaves the Farquhar house?
3. Who does Peyton see coming to meet him and how does he respond?
4. How does Part 3 begin?
5. What are Peyton and his wife doing at the beginning of Part 2?
6. What is the point of view used by the author in Part 2 and how can you determine that.
7. What is unexpected about the condemned man's appearance?
8. What does the condemned man view as his only chance at escape?
9. What kind of tension and feeling does the author leave the reader with at the end of Part 2?
10. What idea does the soldier offer up on how a person could accomplish something regarding the destruction of the bridge?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)