|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The method of execution in the story is __________________.
(d) Military style.
2. Why is the man immobile?
(a) He is trying to hide.
(b) He is playing a game.
(c) His neck is in a noose.
(d) He is paralyzed.
3. Which of the following is NOT a step in the hanging?
(a) The man will fall.
(b) The plank will tilt.
(c) The sergeant will step off the plank.
(d) The sergeant will slap the horse.
4. What is the man standing on?
(c) Ship's plank.
(d) Slack boards.
5. According to the soldiers' ____________, death is to be honored.
(c) Rule book.
(d) Unwritten code.
Short Answer Questions
1. When it is time for the execution, who moves away from the location first?
2. Where is the man standing at the beginning of Part 1?
3. What is the source of the sound that the condemned man hears?
4. During what war does the story take place?
5. What do all the men on the platform have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is known about Peyton's allegiance to the Confederate cause?
2. What is unexpected about the condemned man's appearance?
3. How does the second part of Part 3 begin and how can it be characterized?
4. Who does Peyton see coming to meet him and how does he respond?
5. How does Peyton's walking take a more pleasant tone and where does he end up?
6. How does Part 3 end?
7. Explain how the author almost tries to warn Peyton by the statement of "All's fair in love and war."
8. Explain how Peyton ends up in a forest.
9. What do Peyton and the soldier do as Mrs. Farquhar gets the glass of water?
10. What is the point of view used by the author in Part 2 and how can you determine that.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)