|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the condemned man want to do as the noise pounds in his head?
(a) Beg for mercy.
(c) Shoot himself.
2. The condemned man feels as if his ears _______________________.
(a) Are being ripped off.
(b) Are plugged up.
(c) Are being punctured with a knife.
(d) Are bleeding.
3. What color eyes does the condemned man have?
4. When it is time for the execution, who moves away from the location first?
(a) The two privates.
(b) The sergeant.
(c) The colonel.
(d) The general.
5. What does the condemned man focus on in the water below?
(a) A piece of driftwood.
(b) Sun sparkling on the surface.
(d) Salmon swimming upstream.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the condemned man want to take off his body?
2. What do the men in the infantry do while waiting for the execution?
3. What is the man standing on?
4. Which of the following does the condemned man NOT visualize in his mind?
5. The sentinels are as still as ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What other characters appear at the scene with the condemned man?
2. What is the condemned man's opinion on the execution method from his vantage point?
3. Describe the darkness and uncertainty of the forest and what incentive keeps Peyton moving.
4. How does the author use one word to indicate Mrs. Farquhar's devotion to the Confederate cause?
5. What kind of tension and feeling does the author leave the reader with at the end of Part 2?
6. What is the irony that Peyton notes after he has landed in the water with the noose still around his neck?
7. Describe the vortex in which Peyton finds himself after thinking he was safe from the Federal soldiers.
8. What is the point of view used by the author in Part 2 and how can you determine that.
9. How does the second part of Part 3 begin and how can it be characterized?
10. Describe how the metallic sound affects the man and what does he discover is the source of the sound?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)