|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what direction is the man looking?
(c) To the left.
(d) To the right.
2. What color eyes does the condemned man have?
3. What is the position of the man to be hanged?
(a) A wayward politician.
(b) A civilian.
(c) A spy.
(d) A military officer.
4. What signal does the captain give to the sergeant?
(a) He salutes.
(b) He nods.
(c) He winks.
(d) He shakes his hand.
5. The sound becomes ______________ for the condemned man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the man's probable profession?
2. How many other men are on the platform with the man?
3. How many sentinels stand guard over the men on the platform?
4. Which of the following is NOT a rank among the men on the platform with the man?
5. What do all the men on the platform have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of tension and feeling does the author leave the reader with at the end of Part 2?
2. Explain how Peyton ends up in a forest.
3. What is unexpected about the condemned man's appearance?
4. Describe the darkness and uncertainty of the forest and what incentive keeps Peyton moving.
5. Why is the condemned man not a typical hanging victim?
6. What are Peyton and his wife doing at the beginning of Part 2?
7. Describe what Peyton feels immediately after falling through the bridge.
8. How does Part 2 help to fill in some information regarding the crime for which Peyton is to be hanged as learned in Part 1?
9. How do the sentinels at the scene behave at the impending execution?
10. What idea does the soldier offer up on how a person could accomplish something regarding the destruction of the bridge?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)