|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Peyton ask the soldier?
(a) If he is a deserter.
(b) If he is wounded.
(c) If he is hungry.
(d) What is the news from the front.
2. For what does the soldier ask?
(a) A fresh horse.
(b) A bit of food.
(d) A drink of water.
3. What time of day does the soldier return to the Farquhar house?
4. What does the soldier say happened at the bridge last winter?
(a) A flood.
(b) The bridge gave way from ice.
(c) A train derailed.
(d) A blizzard.
5. What is aroused in Peyton at the end of Part 2?
(a) His curiosity.
(b) His anger.
(c) His love.
(d) His passions.
6. The posted order states that any civilian caught interfering with the railroad ______________________.
(a) Needs a license.
(b) Will be hanged.
(c) Needs permission first.
(d) Will be ordered to enlist.
7. What does the soldier say that the Yanks have built at the Owl Creek Bridge?
(a) A church.
(b) A gun depot.
(c) A train station.
(d) A stockade.
8. Which of the following did Peyton NOT long to experience as a soldier?
(a) Shooting enemy soldiers.
(b) The opportunity for distinction.
(c) Something to put his energies into.
(d) The honor of a soldier's life.
9. How far does the soldier say it is to Owl Creek Bridge?
(a) About 300 miles.
(b) About 30 miles.
(c) About 3 miles.
(d) About 50 miles.
10. What saying did Peyton believe in his heart?
(a) All is fair in love and war.
(b) The early bird gets the worm.
(c) He who laughs last, laughs best.
(d) Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.
11. When does the soldier reappear at the Farquhar house?
(a) A year later.
(c) The following week.
(d) An hour later.
12. What is Peyton Farquhar's occupation?
13. What does Peyton think about his opportunity to serve in the war?
(a) It may come if he is patient.
(b) It will come at some point.
(c) He will have to be alert and on the lookout.
(d) It will never come.
14. How did Peyton feel about not being allowed to enlist in the army?
(a) He was upset.
(b) He felt lucky.
(c) He was embarrassed.
(d) He was mad about it.
15. What is the second question Peyton asks the soldier?
(a) How long he has been in the army.
(b) If he is married.
(c) Where he comes from.
(d) How the bridge is guarded.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the soldier say about the driftwood he saw?
2. The soldiers say the Yanks have already reached ________________________-.
3. Peyton is a politician and a(n) ___________________.
4. What does Peyton say a civilian would have to do to gain access to the bridge?
5. What is Mrs. Farquhar's demeanor about getting the water?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)