|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Peyton and his wife doing when they are approached by someone?
(a) Working in the garden.
(b) Eating dinner.
(c) Sitting on a bench.
(d) Taking a walk.
2. When does the soldier reappear at the Farquhar house?
(b) The following week.
(c) An hour later.
(d) A year later.
3. How does the soldier say he knows about the order?
(a) He saw it.
(b) He heard about it.
(c) He saw a poster about it.
(d) He wrote it.
4. What is aroused in Peyton at the end of Part 2?
(a) His anger.
(b) His love.
(c) His passions.
(d) His curiosity.
5. Who does the soldier say is repairing the railroads?
(a) The government.
(b) The Rebs.
(c) The locals.
(d) The Yanks.
6. How did Peyton feel about not being allowed to enlist in the army?
(a) He was mad about it.
(b) He felt lucky.
(c) He was embarrassed.
(d) He was upset.
7. What does Peyton do while waiting for an opportunity to serve the South?
(a) Writes newsletters.
(b) Anything he can.
(d) As little as possible.
8. What is Mrs. Farquhar's demeanor about getting the water?
(a) She does it grudgingly.
(b) She is happy to do it.
(c) She is hesitant.
(d) She refuses.
9. Peyton wants to know _______________________ if he could overcome the sentinel.
(a) What a civilian could accomplish.
(b) If a civilian would get a reward.
(c) If a civilian would need help.
(d) Why a civilian would want to risk it even.
10. How did the soldier approach Peyton's house?
(a) On horseback.
(d) On a mule.
11. What time of day does the soldier return to the Farquhar house?
12. Who gets the water for the soldier?
(a) Clayton Farquhar.
(b) Mrs. Farquhar.
(c) A house slave.
(d) Peyton Farquhar.
13. Peyton comes from a highly respected family of __________________.
(b) Arms builders.
(c) Cotton merchants.
(d) Slave owners.
14. What is the name of the character introduced in Part 2?
(a) Preston Farquhar.
(b) Peyton Place.
(c) Peyton Farquhar.
(d) Peyton Manning.
15. Who issued a notice that is posted at the Owl Creek Bridge?
(a) The commandant.
(b) The president.
(c) The mayor.
(d) The governor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peyton think about his opportunity to serve in the war?
2. Which of the following does NOT characterize Peyton's motivations?
3. What does Peyton do while his wife is getting the water?
4. What did the soldier see at the bridge the last time he was there?
5. Which of the following is NOT mentioned in the posted order?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)