|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the uniform worn by the soldier?
2. The soldiers say the Yanks have already reached ________________________-.
(c) The Owl Creek Bridge.
(d) The gun depot.
3. What is the soldier's true job?
(a) He is a Federal scout.
(b) He is a writer.
(c) He is a Federal general.
(d) He is a newspaper editor.
4. Peyton is a politician and a(n) ___________________.
5. Which of the following figures does Peyton NOT mention when talking about approaching the bridge?
(a) A student of hanging.
(b) A man.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A civilian.
6. What did the soldier see lying against the pier the last time he was at the bridge?
(a) Some guns.
(b) Fishing poles.
(d) A dead body.
7. What does Peyton do while his wife is getting the water?
(a) Invites him to dinner.
(b) Returns to the house.
(c) Pulls out his gun.
(d) Approaches the soldier.
8. Which of the following is NOT mentioned in the posted order?
9. Peyton comes from a highly respected family of __________________.
(a) Arms builders.
(b) Cotton merchants.
(d) Slave owners.
10. Who approaches Peyton and his wife as they sit outside their home?
(a) A minister.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) A traveling salesman.
(d) A soldier.
11. What is Peyton Farquhar's occupation?
12. What time of day does the soldier return to the Farquhar house?
13. Who does the soldier say is repairing the railroads?
(a) The Yanks.
(b) The Rebs.
(c) The government.
(d) The locals.
14. What can be inferred about the story at the end of Part 2?
(a) Peyton is going to enlist in the army.
(b) Peyton is going to be a spy.
(c) Peyton's wife is going to be injured.
(d) Something ominous is about to take place.
15. Which of the following does NOT characterize Peyton's motivations?
(a) He always wanted to be a spy.
(b) He wants to share in the glory of the cause.
(c) He longs to be of service.
(d) He wants to do whatever he can for the South.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second question Peyton asks the soldier?
2. Peyton wants to know _______________________ if he could overcome the sentinel.
3. How did the soldier approach Peyton's house?
4. What is the name of the character introduced in Part 2?
5. Peyton is a civilian with _________________.
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)