|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the soldier's appearance?
2. Peyton comes from a highly respected family of __________________.
(a) Cotton merchants.
(c) Arms builders.
(d) Slave owners.
3. Which of the following figures does Peyton NOT mention when talking about approaching the bridge?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A civilian.
(c) A student of hanging.
(d) A man.
4. What is the soldier's true job?
(a) He is a Federal scout.
(b) He is a Federal general.
(c) He is a newspaper editor.
(d) He is a writer.
5. The soldier says the driftwood would burn __________________.
(a) Like corn stalks.
(b) Like paper.
(c) Like an old barn.
(d) Like tow.
6. Why is Peyton drawn into the soldier's story?
(a) He longs to be part of the glory of war.
(b) He needs material for a novel.
(c) He wants something to tell his grandchildren one day.
(d) He loves a good story.
7. What is the name of the character introduced in Part 2?
(a) Peyton Manning.
(b) Peyton Farquhar.
(c) Preston Farquhar.
(d) Peyton Place.
8. Who approaches Peyton and his wife as they sit outside their home?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) A traveling salesman.
(d) A minister.
9. What can be inferred about the crime Peyton may have committed?
(a) He set fire to the driftwood to burn the bridge.
(b) He deserted from the army.
(c) He burned a neighbor's plantation.
(d) He shot a Yankee general.
10. When does the soldier say he had last been at the Owl Creek Bridge?
(a) A year ago.
(b) Last week.
(d) A month ago.
11. What is aroused in Peyton at the end of Part 2?
(a) His anger.
(b) His love.
(c) His passions.
(d) His curiosity.
12. What does Peyton ask the soldier?
(a) If he is wounded.
(b) If he is a deserter.
(c) If he is hungry.
(d) What is the news from the front.
13. What did the soldier see at the bridge the last time he was there?
(a) A dead body.
(c) Ice chunks.
14. For what does the soldier ask?
(a) A drink of water.
(b) A fresh horse.
(d) A bit of food.
15. How does the soldier say he knows about the order?
(a) He saw it.
(b) He wrote it.
(c) He heard about it.
(d) He saw a poster about it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets the water for the soldier?
2. What does the soldier NOT do after he drinks his water?
3. Who issued a notice that is posted at the Owl Creek Bridge?
4. What does the soldier pause to do?
5. Who is with Peyton when he is approached by someone at his property?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)