|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the soldier's appearance?
2. Which of the following did Peyton NOT long to experience as a soldier?
(a) The opportunity for distinction.
(b) The honor of a soldier's life.
(c) Shooting enemy soldiers.
(d) Something to put his energies into.
3. Who is with Peyton when he is approached by someone at his property?
(a) His brother.
(b) His son.
(c) No one.
(d) His wife.
4. What are Peyton and his wife doing when they are approached by someone?
(a) Eating dinner.
(b) Working in the garden.
(c) Sitting on a bench.
(d) Taking a walk.
5. What can be inferred about the story at the end of Part 2?
(a) Peyton's wife is going to be injured.
(b) Peyton is going to be a spy.
(c) Peyton is going to enlist in the army.
(d) Something ominous is about to take place.
6. How many men guard the Owl Creek Bridge?
7. When does the soldier say he had last been at the Owl Creek Bridge?
(a) A year ago.
(c) Last week.
(d) A month ago.
8. Which of the following is NOT mentioned in the posted order?
9. How does the soldier say he knows about the order?
(a) He wrote it.
(b) He saw it.
(c) He saw a poster about it.
(d) He heard about it.
10. In what direction is the soldier headed when he rides past the Farquhar house again?
11. Which of the following does NOT characterize Peyton's motivations?
(a) He always wanted to be a spy.
(b) He longs to be of service.
(c) He wants to do whatever he can for the South.
(d) He wants to share in the glory of the cause.
12. In what state does Peyton live?
13. What is Mrs. Farquhar's demeanor about getting the water?
(a) She is happy to do it.
(b) She does it grudgingly.
(c) She is hesitant.
(d) She refuses.
14. Peyton is a civilian with _________________.
(a) A criminal record.
(b) The heart of a soldier.
(c) A bad reputation.
(d) Political aspirations.
15. Which of the following figures does Peyton NOT mention when talking about approaching the bridge?
(a) A civilian.
(b) A student of hanging.
(c) A man.
(d) A teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What saying did Peyton believe in his heart?
2. What did the soldier see at the bridge the last time he was there?
3. Who approaches Peyton and his wife as they sit outside their home?
4. The posted order states that any civilian caught interfering with the railroad ______________________.
5. What does Peyton ask the soldier?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)