|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Peyton and his wife doing when they are approached by someone?
(a) Eating dinner.
(b) Taking a walk.
(c) Working in the garden.
(d) Sitting on a bench.
2. What time of day does the soldier return to the Farquhar house?
3. What can be inferred about the story at the end of Part 2?
(a) Something ominous is about to take place.
(b) Peyton is going to enlist in the army.
(c) Peyton's wife is going to be injured.
(d) Peyton is going to be a spy.
4. What does Peyton do while his wife is getting the water?
(a) Invites him to dinner.
(b) Approaches the soldier.
(c) Returns to the house.
(d) Pulls out his gun.
5. How did Peyton feel about not being allowed to enlist in the army?
(a) He was mad about it.
(b) He was embarrassed.
(c) He was upset.
(d) He felt lucky.
6. What does Peyton say a civilian would have to do to gain access to the bridge?
(a) Dress all in black.
(b) Elude the picket post.
(c) Put mud on his face.
(d) Walk in stocking feet.
7. What does the soldier say about the driftwood he saw?
(a) It was covered in moss.
(b) It was a strange color.
(c) It was in little pieces.
(d) It would be dry now.
8. What did the soldier see at the bridge the last time he was there?
(a) A dead body.
(d) Ice chunks.
9. Who issued a notice that is posted at the Owl Creek Bridge?
(a) The governor.
(b) The president.
(c) The commandant.
(d) The mayor.
10. What did the soldier ask Peyton regarding directions?
(a) He asked about the next town.
(b) He didn't ask anything about directions.
(c) He wanted to know how far it was to Owl Creek Bridge.
(d) He asked how to get to Owl Creek Bridge.
11. Who is mentioned in the posted order?
(a) Federal soldiers.
(b) Home guard.
(d) Confederate soldiers.
12. What is the soldier's appearance?
13. What does Peyton ask after the soldier tells about the order?
(a) If he believes the poster to be true.
(b) How far it is to Owl Creek Bridge.
(c) How soon the Yanks will be arriving.
(d) If he has ever killed any Yanks.
14. Peyton is a civilian with _________________.
(a) Political aspirations.
(b) A criminal record.
(c) The heart of a soldier.
(d) A bad reputation.
15. Which of the following did Peyton NOT long to experience as a soldier?
(a) The opportunity for distinction.
(b) The honor of a soldier's life.
(c) Shooting enemy soldiers.
(d) Something to put his energies into.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does the soldier ask?
2. What saying did Peyton believe in his heart?
3. Which of the following does NOT characterize Peyton's motivations?
4. Who is with Peyton when he is approached by someone at his property?
5. What did the soldier see lying against the pier the last time he was at the bridge?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)