|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far does the soldier say it is to Owl Creek Bridge?
(a) About 3 miles.
(b) About 50 miles.
(c) About 300 miles.
(d) About 30 miles.
2. What prevented Peyton's enlisting in the army?
(a) Flat feet.
(b) It is not known.
(c) Chicken pox.
(d) Bad heart.
3. What did the soldier ask Peyton regarding directions?
(a) He asked about the next town.
(b) He didn't ask anything about directions.
(c) He wanted to know how far it was to Owl Creek Bridge.
(d) He asked how to get to Owl Creek Bridge.
4. Who issued a notice that is posted at the Owl Creek Bridge?
(a) The mayor.
(b) The commandant.
(c) The governor.
(d) The president.
5. What does Peyton say a civilian would have to do to gain access to the bridge?
(a) Dress all in black.
(b) Put mud on his face.
(c) Elude the picket post.
(d) Walk in stocking feet.
6. When does the soldier reappear at the Farquhar house?
(a) An hour later.
(b) The following week.
(d) A year later.
7. What can be inferred about the crime Peyton may have committed?
(a) He shot a Yankee general.
(b) He deserted from the army.
(c) He burned a neighbor's plantation.
(d) He set fire to the driftwood to burn the bridge.
8. What is Peyton Farquhar's occupation?
9. Which of the following figures does Peyton NOT mention when talking about approaching the bridge?
(a) A man.
(b) A civilian.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A student of hanging.
10. Who is with Peyton when he is approached by someone at his property?
(a) No one.
(b) His son.
(c) His wife.
(d) His brother.
11. Peyton is devoted to the ____________________.
(a) Marriage vows.
(b) Catholic Church.
(c) Southern cause.
(d) Northern cause.
12. Which of the following is NOT mentioned in the posted order?
13. What is the soldier's appearance?
14. What are Peyton and his wife doing when they are approached by someone?
(a) Sitting on a bench.
(b) Working in the garden.
(c) Eating dinner.
(d) Taking a walk.
15. When does the soldier say he had last been at the Owl Creek Bridge?
(b) Last week.
(c) A year ago.
(d) A month ago.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Farquhar's demeanor about getting the water?
2. How did Peyton feel about not being allowed to enlist in the army?
3. What is the second question Peyton asks the soldier?
4. Peyton comes from a highly respected family of __________________.
5. Peyton wants to know _______________________ if he could overcome the sentinel.
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)