|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The posted order states that any civilian caught interfering with the railroad ______________________.
(a) Will be hanged.
(b) Needs permission first.
(c) Will be ordered to enlist.
(d) Needs a license.
2. What does Peyton do while waiting for an opportunity to serve the South?
(a) As little as possible.
(c) Anything he can.
(d) Writes newsletters.
3. In what direction is the soldier headed when he rides past the Farquhar house again?
4. Why is Peyton drawn into the soldier's story?
(a) He longs to be part of the glory of war.
(b) He loves a good story.
(c) He wants something to tell his grandchildren one day.
(d) He needs material for a novel.
5. What did the soldier see at the bridge the last time he was there?
(a) A dead body.
(d) Ice chunks.
6. The soldier says the driftwood would burn __________________.
(a) Like corn stalks.
(b) Like paper.
(c) Like an old barn.
(d) Like tow.
7. How does the soldier say he knows about the order?
(a) He saw a poster about it.
(b) He heard about it.
(c) He saw it.
(d) He wrote it.
8. What is aroused in Peyton at the end of Part 2?
(a) His love.
(b) His passions.
(c) His curiosity.
(d) His anger.
9. Peyton is a civilian with _________________.
(a) The heart of a soldier.
(b) A criminal record.
(c) Political aspirations.
(d) A bad reputation.
10. What does the soldier say about the driftwood he saw?
(a) It was covered in moss.
(b) It was in little pieces.
(c) It was a strange color.
(d) It would be dry now.
11. Peyton is a politician and a(n) ___________________.
12. What does the soldier NOT do after he drinks his water?
(b) Rides away on his horse.
(c) Thanks Mrs. Farquhar.
(d) Bows to Peyton.
13. What saying did Peyton believe in his heart?
(a) Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.
(b) All is fair in love and war.
(c) The early bird gets the worm.
(d) He who laughs last, laughs best.
14. Peyton is devoted to the ____________________.
(a) Catholic Church.
(b) Marriage vows.
(c) Northern cause.
(d) Southern cause.
15. How many men guard the Owl Creek Bridge?
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day does the soldier return to the Farquhar house?
2. Who is mentioned in the posted order?
3. Peyton wants to know _______________________ if he could overcome the sentinel.
4. What is the soldier's appearance?
5. When does the soldier reappear at the Farquhar house?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)