|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what state does Peyton live?
2. At what time of day is Peyton approached by someone at his property?
(d) Early morning.
3. Why is Peyton drawn into the soldier's story?
(a) He needs material for a novel.
(b) He wants something to tell his grandchildren one day.
(c) He loves a good story.
(d) He longs to be part of the glory of war.
4. How far does the soldier say it is to Owl Creek Bridge?
(a) About 30 miles.
(b) About 3 miles.
(c) About 50 miles.
(d) About 300 miles.
5. How did the soldier approach Peyton's house?
(c) On a mule.
(d) On horseback.
6. Which of the following does NOT characterize Peyton's motivations?
(a) He wants to do whatever he can for the South.
(b) He wants to share in the glory of the cause.
(c) He always wanted to be a spy.
(d) He longs to be of service.
7. When does the soldier say he had last been at the Owl Creek Bridge?
(a) A month ago.
(c) A year ago.
(d) Last week.
8. How many men guard the Owl Creek Bridge?
9. The soldiers say the Yanks have already reached ________________________-.
(b) The Owl Creek Bridge.
(d) The gun depot.
10. What does Peyton think about his opportunity to serve in the war?
(a) He will have to be alert and on the lookout.
(b) It may come if he is patient.
(c) It will never come.
(d) It will come at some point.
11. What are Peyton and his wife doing when they are approached by someone?
(a) Eating dinner.
(b) Working in the garden.
(c) Sitting on a bench.
(d) Taking a walk.
12. What color is the uniform worn by the soldier?
13. How did Peyton feel about not being allowed to enlist in the army?
(a) He felt lucky.
(b) He was upset.
(c) He was mad about it.
(d) He was embarrassed.
14. What does Peyton do while waiting for an opportunity to serve the South?
(b) Writes newsletters.
(c) Anything he can.
(d) As little as possible.
15. What is the second question Peyton asks the soldier?
(a) Where he comes from.
(b) How the bridge is guarded.
(c) How long he has been in the army.
(d) If he is married.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the soldier say he knows about the order?
2. Who issued a notice that is posted at the Owl Creek Bridge?
3. Who gets the water for the soldier?
4. What does the soldier say about the driftwood he saw?
5. When does the soldier reappear at the Farquhar house?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)