|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does the soldier ask?
(a) A fresh horse.
(b) A bit of food.
(d) A drink of water.
2. Which of the following is NOT mentioned in the posted order?
3. When does the soldier say he had last been at the Owl Creek Bridge?
(a) A year ago.
(c) A month ago.
(d) Last week.
4. Why is the Federal army repairing the railroads?
(a) In preparation for another advance.
(b) To transport cannons.
(c) To help rebuild the South.
(d) To transport prisoners.
5. What does Peyton do while waiting for an opportunity to serve the South?
(a) Anything he can.
(b) Writes newsletters.
(d) As little as possible.
6. What color is the uniform worn by the soldier?
7. Who approaches Peyton and his wife as they sit outside their home?
(a) A traveling salesman.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) A minister.
8. What prevented Peyton's enlisting in the army?
(a) It is not known.
(b) Bad heart.
(c) Chicken pox.
(d) Flat feet.
9. Who does the soldier say is repairing the railroads?
(a) The government.
(b) The locals.
(c) The Yanks.
(d) The Rebs.
10. What is the soldier's true job?
(a) He is a newspaper editor.
(b) He is a Federal scout.
(c) He is a writer.
(d) He is a Federal general.
11. What does Peyton ask after the soldier tells about the order?
(a) How far it is to Owl Creek Bridge.
(b) If he believes the poster to be true.
(c) If he has ever killed any Yanks.
(d) How soon the Yanks will be arriving.
12. What did the soldier see at the bridge the last time he was there?
(b) A dead body.
(d) Ice chunks.
13. The posted order states that any civilian caught interfering with the railroad ______________________.
(a) Will be ordered to enlist.
(b) Will be hanged.
(c) Needs permission first.
(d) Needs a license.
14. At what time of day is Peyton approached by someone at his property?
(d) Early morning.
15. Peyton comes from a highly respected family of __________________.
(a) Cotton merchants.
(b) Arms builders.
(c) Slave owners.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets the water for the soldier?
2. What is the second question Peyton asks the soldier?
3. Peyton is a politician and a(n) ___________________.
4. What is Peyton Farquhar's occupation?
5. How did the soldier approach Peyton's house?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)