|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the soldier ask Peyton regarding directions?
(a) He asked about the next town.
(b) He asked how to get to Owl Creek Bridge.
(c) He didn't ask anything about directions.
(d) He wanted to know how far it was to Owl Creek Bridge.
2. How many men guard the Owl Creek Bridge?
3. What does the soldier pause to do?
(a) Tell a joke.
(c) Collect his thoughts.
(d) Drink the water.
4. How did Peyton feel about not being allowed to enlist in the army?
(a) He was mad about it.
(b) He was upset.
(c) He was embarrassed.
(d) He felt lucky.
5. What is the name of the character introduced in Part 2?
(a) Peyton Manning.
(b) Preston Farquhar.
(c) Peyton Farquhar.
(d) Peyton Place.
6. Peyton wants to know _______________________ if he could overcome the sentinel.
(a) What a civilian could accomplish.
(b) If a civilian would need help.
(c) Why a civilian would want to risk it even.
(d) If a civilian would get a reward.
7. What does Peyton ask after the soldier tells about the order?
(a) How soon the Yanks will be arriving.
(b) If he has ever killed any Yanks.
(c) If he believes the poster to be true.
(d) How far it is to Owl Creek Bridge.
8. How does the soldier say he knows about the order?
(a) He heard about it.
(b) He saw a poster about it.
(c) He wrote it.
(d) He saw it.
9. Peyton is devoted to the ____________________.
(a) Marriage vows.
(b) Southern cause.
(c) Northern cause.
(d) Catholic Church.
10. Why is Peyton drawn into the soldier's story?
(a) He longs to be part of the glory of war.
(b) He needs material for a novel.
(c) He wants something to tell his grandchildren one day.
(d) He loves a good story.
11. What is the soldier's true job?
(a) He is a writer.
(b) He is a Federal scout.
(c) He is a Federal general.
(d) He is a newspaper editor.
12. For what does the soldier ask?
(a) A drink of water.
(b) A fresh horse.
(c) A bit of food.
13. Who issued a notice that is posted at the Owl Creek Bridge?
(a) The commandant.
(b) The mayor.
(c) The president.
(d) The governor.
14. What does the soldier say happened at the bridge last winter?
(a) A blizzard.
(b) A flood.
(c) A train derailed.
(d) The bridge gave way from ice.
15. What are Peyton and his wife doing when they are approached by someone?
(a) Eating dinner.
(b) Taking a walk.
(c) Sitting on a bench.
(d) Working in the garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who approaches Peyton and his wife as they sit outside their home?
2. What does Peyton do while waiting for an opportunity to serve the South?
3. The soldier says the driftwood would burn __________________.
4. What does the soldier say about the driftwood he saw?
5. The soldiers say the Yanks have already reached ________________________-.
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)