|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Peyton ask after the soldier tells about the order?
(a) If he has ever killed any Yanks.
(b) How far it is to Owl Creek Bridge.
(c) If he believes the poster to be true.
(d) How soon the Yanks will be arriving.
2. What does Peyton think about his opportunity to serve in the war?
(a) It will never come.
(b) It will come at some point.
(c) It may come if he is patient.
(d) He will have to be alert and on the lookout.
3. What is the soldier's appearance?
4. Peyton is devoted to the ____________________.
(a) Marriage vows.
(b) Southern cause.
(c) Northern cause.
(d) Catholic Church.
5. What does the soldier say that the Yanks have built at the Owl Creek Bridge?
(a) A gun depot.
(b) A stockade.
(c) A train station.
(d) A church.
6. How far does the soldier say it is to Owl Creek Bridge?
(a) About 3 miles.
(b) About 50 miles.
(c) About 30 miles.
(d) About 300 miles.
7. When does the soldier say he had last been at the Owl Creek Bridge?
(a) Last week.
(b) A year ago.
(d) A month ago.
8. What did the soldier see lying against the pier the last time he was at the bridge?
(a) A dead body.
(c) Some guns.
(d) Fishing poles.
9. What does Peyton ask the soldier?
(a) What is the news from the front.
(b) If he is wounded.
(c) If he is hungry.
(d) If he is a deserter.
10. What is the name of the character introduced in Part 2?
(a) Peyton Place.
(b) Preston Farquhar.
(c) Peyton Farquhar.
(d) Peyton Manning.
11. Which of the following did Peyton NOT long to experience as a soldier?
(a) The opportunity for distinction.
(b) The honor of a soldier's life.
(c) Something to put his energies into.
(d) Shooting enemy soldiers.
12. The posted order states that any civilian caught interfering with the railroad ______________________.
(a) Needs permission first.
(b) Will be ordered to enlist.
(c) Needs a license.
(d) Will be hanged.
13. What can be inferred about the crime Peyton may have committed?
(a) He shot a Yankee general.
(b) He deserted from the army.
(c) He set fire to the driftwood to burn the bridge.
(d) He burned a neighbor's plantation.
14. What does Peyton say a civilian would have to do to gain access to the bridge?
(a) Dress all in black.
(b) Walk in stocking feet.
(c) Put mud on his face.
(d) Elude the picket post.
15. What does Peyton do while waiting for an opportunity to serve the South?
(b) Writes newsletters.
(c) As little as possible.
(d) Anything he can.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the soldier say about the driftwood he saw?
2. Who is mentioned in the posted order?
3. Peyton comes from a highly respected family of __________________.
4. At what time of day is Peyton approached by someone at his property?
5. Who approaches Peyton and his wife as they sit outside their home?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)