|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Peyton feel about not being allowed to enlist in the army?
(a) He felt lucky.
(b) He was upset.
(c) He was embarrassed.
(d) He was mad about it.
2. In what direction is the soldier headed when he rides past the Farquhar house again?
3. Which of the following did Peyton NOT long to experience as a soldier?
(a) Shooting enemy soldiers.
(b) The opportunity for distinction.
(c) The honor of a soldier's life.
(d) Something to put his energies into.
4. What does Peyton think about his opportunity to serve in the war?
(a) It may come if he is patient.
(b) It will come at some point.
(c) He will have to be alert and on the lookout.
(d) It will never come.
5. Peyton wants to know _______________________ if he could overcome the sentinel.
(a) If a civilian would need help.
(b) Why a civilian would want to risk it even.
(c) If a civilian would get a reward.
(d) What a civilian could accomplish.
6. What does the soldier NOT do after he drinks his water?
(a) Rides away on his horse.
(b) Thanks Mrs. Farquhar.
(c) Bows to Peyton.
7. In what state does Peyton live?
8. What did the soldier see at the bridge the last time he was there?
(b) Ice chunks.
(c) A dead body.
9. What does Peyton do while his wife is getting the water?
(a) Approaches the soldier.
(b) Invites him to dinner.
(c) Returns to the house.
(d) Pulls out his gun.
10. When does the soldier reappear at the Farquhar house?
(a) An hour later.
(c) The following week.
(d) A year later.
11. Peyton is a politician and a(n) ___________________.
12. For what does the soldier ask?
(a) A fresh horse.
(c) A drink of water.
(d) A bit of food.
13. Peyton comes from a highly respected family of __________________.
(a) Cotton merchants.
(c) Arms builders.
(d) Slave owners.
14. What is the name of the character introduced in Part 2?
(a) Peyton Manning.
(b) Peyton Farquhar.
(c) Preston Farquhar.
(d) Peyton Place.
15. At what time of day is Peyton approached by someone at his property?
(b) Early morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What saying did Peyton believe in his heart?
2. What does Peyton do while waiting for an opportunity to serve the South?
3. Who does the soldier say is repairing the railroads?
4. What does the soldier say happened at the bridge last winter?
5. What is Peyton Farquhar's occupation?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)