|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the soldier's appearance?
2. How did the soldier approach Peyton's house?
(a) On a mule.
(d) On horseback.
3. Peyton comes from a highly respected family of __________________.
(a) Cotton merchants.
(b) Arms builders.
(c) Slave owners.
4. What did the soldier see lying against the pier the last time he was at the bridge?
(a) Some guns.
(b) Fishing poles.
(c) A dead body.
5. What does the soldier say about the driftwood he saw?
(a) It was covered in moss.
(b) It was a strange color.
(c) It was in little pieces.
(d) It would be dry now.
6. What can be inferred about the crime Peyton may have committed?
(a) He set fire to the driftwood to burn the bridge.
(b) He burned a neighbor's plantation.
(c) He deserted from the army.
(d) He shot a Yankee general.
7. Who is with Peyton when he is approached by someone at his property?
(a) His son.
(b) No one.
(c) His brother.
(d) His wife.
8. Which of the following is NOT mentioned in the posted order?
9. What does the soldier pause to do?
(b) Drink the water.
(c) Collect his thoughts.
(d) Tell a joke.
10. In what state does Peyton live?
11. What saying did Peyton believe in his heart?
(a) Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.
(b) The early bird gets the worm.
(c) He who laughs last, laughs best.
(d) All is fair in love and war.
12. When does the soldier reappear at the Farquhar house?
(a) The following week.
(b) An hour later.
(d) A year later.
13. What does Peyton do while his wife is getting the water?
(a) Approaches the soldier.
(b) Invites him to dinner.
(c) Returns to the house.
(d) Pulls out his gun.
14. What are Peyton and his wife doing when they are approached by someone?
(a) Working in the garden.
(b) Taking a walk.
(c) Sitting on a bench.
(d) Eating dinner.
15. What does the soldier say that the Yanks have built at the Owl Creek Bridge?
(a) A stockade.
(b) A gun depot.
(c) A train station.
(d) A church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the soldier NOT do after he drinks his water?
2. What is Peyton Farquhar's occupation?
3. What did the soldier see at the bridge the last time he was there?
4. How far does the soldier say it is to Owl Creek Bridge?
5. Who does the soldier say is repairing the railroads?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)