|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the captain do after giving the signal to the sergeant?
(a) Shoots his pistol.
(b) Steps aside.
(c) Rides away.
(d) Salutes the troops.
2. What color eyes does the condemned man have?
3. The man in the noose stands at one end of the plank and __________________ stands at the other.
(a) A minister.
(b) The governor.
(c) The sergeant.
(d) A private.
4. What do the man's clothes indicate about him?
(a) He is a soldier.
(b) He is too young to die.
(c) He is a criminal.
(d) He has been sucessful.
5. What is the man looking at?
6. What is the position of the man to be hanged?
(a) A military officer.
(b) A wayward politician.
(c) A spy.
(d) A civilian.
7. What type of sound distracts the condemned man's thoughts?
8. How can the condemned man's eyes be described?
9. What is the man doing with his hands?
(a) He is signalling for help.
(b) He is waving to his friends.
(c) They are tied behind his back.
(d) He is clapping.
10. Where is the man standing at the beginning of Part 1?
(a) A city street.
(b) A railroad bridge.
(c) An alley.
(d) A cave.
11. What is the source of the sound that the condemned man hears?
(a) A chain.
(b) His watch.
(c) The bridge.
12. Which of the following does NOT describe the condemned man?
(b) Common criminal.
13. The remaining plank spans how many railroad ties?
14. What does the condemned man want to do as the noise pounds in his head?
(a) Beg for mercy.
(d) Shoot himself.
15. What is the man wearing?
(a) Military uniform.
(c) Night shirt.
(d) A frockcoat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stands with the spectators?
2. The sound becomes ______________ for the condemned man.
3. What do all the men on the platform have in common?
4. In what state is the man located?
5. Where are the spectators located?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)