|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the captain do after giving the signal to the sergeant?
(a) Rides away.
(b) Shoots his pistol.
(c) Steps aside.
(d) Salutes the troops.
2. Which of the following is NOT a rank among the men on the platform with the man?
3. The remaining plank spans how many railroad ties?
4. What is the date of the beginning of Part 1?
(a) September 15, 1954.
(b) It not known.
(c) June 25, 1864.
(d) April 7, 1813.
5. How can the condemned man's eyes be described?
6. The method of execution in the story is __________________.
(d) Military style.
7. What role do the sentinels have in the impending execution?
(a) They arrested the men.
(b) No role.
(c) They will give the signal to proceed.
(d) They are waiting on word of a reprieve.
8. What is the man's probable profession?
9. During what war does the story take place?
(a) World War I.
(b) World War II.
(c) The Civil War.
(d) The Korean War.
10. What signal does the captain give to the sergeant?
(a) He salutes.
(b) He nods.
(c) He shakes his hand.
(d) He winks.
11. The condemned man feels as if his ears _______________________.
(a) Are bleeding.
(b) Are being punctured with a knife.
(c) Are plugged up.
(d) Are being ripped off.
12. In what state is the man located?
13. What does the condemned man want to take off his body?
(a) The blindfold.
(b) The hood.
(c) The noose.
(d) His coat.
14. What is the man doing with his hands?
(a) They are tied behind his back.
(b) He is signalling for help.
(c) He is waving to his friends.
(d) He is clapping.
15. Who are the spectators for the execution?
(a) Some nosy local people.
(b) Families of the victim.
(c) A company of infantrymen.
(d) Some news reporters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the condemned man think is the solution for his predicament?
2. Why is the man immobile?
3. What does the condemned man focus on in the water below?
4. The rope around the man's neck is attached to ______________________.
5. What does the man think of when he closes his eyes?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)