|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a step in the hanging?
(a) The man will fall.
(b) The plank will tilt.
(c) The sergeant will step off the plank.
(d) The sergeant will slap the horse.
2. What is the man looking at?
3. What does the condemned man focus on in the water below?
(a) A piece of driftwood.
(b) Sun sparkling on the surface.
(c) Salmon swimming upstream.
4. Who are the spectators for the execution?
(a) Some nosy local people.
(b) Some news reporters.
(c) Families of the victim.
(d) A company of infantrymen.
5. What are the slack boards laid upon?
(b) Railway supports.
6. The method of execution in the story is __________________.
(c) Military style.
7. How can the condemned man's eyes be described?
8. The sergeant salutes the captain and ____________________.
(a) Blows a bugle.
(b) Moves to stand behind him.
(c) Orders the men to shoot.
(d) Rides away on his horse.
9. Why is the man immobile?
(a) He is trying to hide.
(b) He is playing a game.
(c) He is paralyzed.
(d) His neck is in a noose.
10. What does the condemned man NOT wear?
(a) A tie.
(b) A hood.
(c) A hat.
11. Where are the sentinels standing guard?
(a) The ends of the bridge.
(b) In boats.
(c) In nearby fields.
(d) In trees.
12. What does the condemned man want to do as the noise pounds in his head?
(b) Shoot himself.
(d) Beg for mercy.
13. Which of the following does NOT describe the condemned man?
(d) Common criminal.
14. In what direction is the man looking?
(b) To the right.
(d) To the left.
15. What do the men in the infantry do while waiting for the execution?
(a) Stare forward.
(b) Sit down.
(c) Close their eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the position of the man to be hanged?
2. The condemned man thinks the loud sound is like _____________________.
3. What does the captain do after giving the signal to the sergeant?
4. The rope around the man's neck is attached to ______________________.
5. What is the man wearing?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)