|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the man doing with his hands?
(a) They are tied behind his back.
(b) He is waving to his friends.
(c) He is clapping.
(d) He is signalling for help.
2. Where is the man standing at the beginning of Part 1?
(a) A city street.
(b) An alley.
(c) A railroad bridge.
(d) A cave.
3. The sound becomes ______________ for the condemned man.
4. In what state is the man located?
5. Which of the following does the condemned man NOT visualize in his mind?
(a) Diving into the water.
(b) Ripping off the noose.
(c) Shooting the sergeant.
(d) Swimming away.
6. The man in the noose stands at one end of the plank and __________________ stands at the other.
(a) The sergeant.
(b) A minister.
(c) A private.
(d) The governor.
7. The sentinels are as still as ________________.
8. What is the man standing on?
(c) Ship's plank.
(d) Slack boards.
9. What is the source of the sound that the condemned man hears?
(a) The bridge.
(b) His watch.
(c) A chain.
10. How many other men are on the platform with the man?
11. What type of sound distracts the condemned man's thoughts?
12. The condemned man thinks the loud sound is like _____________________.
(a) Horses' hooves.
(c) A clanging bell.
(d) A blacksmith's hammer.
13. How many sentinels stand guard over the men on the platform?
14. What does the condemned man NOT wear?
(a) A hood.
(c) A hat.
(d) A tie.
15. What role do the sentinels have in the impending execution?
(a) They are waiting on word of a reprieve.
(b) They arrested the men.
(c) No role.
(d) They will give the signal to proceed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stands with the spectators?
2. What holds the critical plank in place?
3. What is the position of the man to be hanged?
4. Where are the spectators located?
5. What does the condemned man focus on in the water below?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)