|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the soldiers' ____________, death is to be honored.
(a) Unwritten code.
(b) Rule book.
2. What literary technique does the author use when he says that death is a dignitary?
3. What do the men in the infantry do while waiting for the execution?
(a) Close their eyes.
(b) Stare forward.
(c) Sit down.
4. How old is the man to be hanged?
5. How many other men are on the platform with the man?
6. What is the source of the sound that the condemned man hears?
(a) A chain.
(c) His watch.
(d) The bridge.
7. In what state is the man located?
8. Who is the author of AN OCCURRENCE AT OWL CREEK BRIDGE?
(a) Ambrose Pearson.
(b) Ambrose Bierce.
(c) Ambrose Pierce.
(d) Anthonio Bierce.
9. What does the condemned man focus on in the water below?
(a) A piece of driftwood.
(b) Sun sparkling on the surface.
(c) Salmon swimming upstream.
10. What do the man's clothes indicate about him?
(a) He has been sucessful.
(b) He is a criminal.
(c) He is a soldier.
(d) He is too young to die.
11. Who stands with the spectators?
(a) A minister.
(b) A lieutenant.
(c) The governor.
(d) The mayor.
12. What are the slack boards laid upon?
(d) Railway supports.
13. What does the condemned man NOT wear?
(a) A hat.
(c) A tie.
(d) A hood.
14. How does the condemned man view the system of execution?
15. The sentinels are as still as ________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sentinels stand guard over the men on the platform?
2. Which of the following does the condemned man NOT visualize in his mind?
3. What are the man's movements?
4. What is the man standing on?
5. Why is the man immobile?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)