|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the condemned man want to take off his body?
(a) The hood.
(b) The noose.
(c) His coat.
(d) The blindfold.
2. What are the slack boards laid upon?
(d) Railway supports.
3. Who are the spectators for the execution?
(a) A company of infantrymen.
(b) Families of the victim.
(c) Some nosy local people.
(d) Some news reporters.
4. The sound becomes ______________ for the condemned man.
5. What color eyes does the condemned man have?
6. What crime has the condemned man committed?
(a) It is unknown at this point.
7. What does the condemned man NOT wear?
(a) A tie.
(b) A hat.
(d) A hood.
8. Where are the sentinels standing guard?
(a) In trees.
(b) The ends of the bridge.
(c) In nearby fields.
(d) In boats.
9. What role do the sentinels have in the impending execution?
(a) They arrested the men.
(b) They will give the signal to proceed.
(c) No role.
(d) They are waiting on word of a reprieve.
10. Which of the following does NOT describe the condemned man?
(a) Common criminal.
11. What does the condemned man focus on in the water below?
(a) A piece of driftwood.
(b) Sun sparkling on the surface.
(d) Salmon swimming upstream.
12. When it is time for the execution, who moves away from the location first?
(a) The two privates.
(b) The colonel.
(c) The sergeant.
(d) The general.
13. Where is the man standing at the beginning of Part 1?
(a) A railroad bridge.
(b) A cave.
(c) An alley.
(d) A city street.
14. Which of the following is NOT a step in the hanging?
(a) The sergeant will slap the horse.
(b) The sergeant will step off the plank.
(c) The man will fall.
(d) The plank will tilt.
15. What is the man looking at?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the privates do after moving away from the man?
2. Who stands with the spectators?
3. How many sentinels stand guard over the men on the platform?
4. Where are the spectators located?
5. The man in the noose stands at one end of the plank and __________________ stands at the other.
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)