|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How can the condemned man's eyes be described?
2. In what state is the man located?
3. Which of the following does the condemned man NOT visualize in his mind?
(a) Shooting the sergeant.
(b) Ripping off the noose.
(c) Swimming away.
(d) Diving into the water.
4. Why is the man immobile?
(a) He is trying to hide.
(b) He is paralyzed.
(c) His neck is in a noose.
(d) He is playing a game.
5. The man in the noose stands at one end of the plank and __________________ stands at the other.
(a) A private.
(b) The governor.
(c) A minister.
(d) The sergeant.
6. What does the condemned man NOT wear?
(b) A hat.
(c) A hood.
(d) A tie.
7. What signal does the captain give to the sergeant?
(a) He nods.
(b) He shakes his hand.
(c) He winks.
(d) He salutes.
8. What is the man standing on?
(a) Ship's plank.
(d) Slack boards.
9. What is the man doing with his hands?
(a) He is clapping.
(b) He is waving to his friends.
(c) He is signalling for help.
(d) They are tied behind his back.
10. What literary technique does the author use when he says that death is a dignitary?
11. How many sentinels stand guard over the men on the platform?
12. What holds the critical plank in place?
(a) An anchor.
(b) A rope.
(c) The sergeant.
(d) A horse.
13. When it is time for the execution, who moves away from the location first?
(a) The sergeant.
(b) The two privates.
(c) The colonel.
(d) The general.
14. What is the date of the beginning of Part 1?
(a) April 7, 1813.
(b) June 25, 1864.
(c) It not known.
(d) September 15, 1954.
15. What is the man wearing?
(a) Night shirt.
(b) Military uniform.
(d) A frockcoat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of sound distracts the condemned man's thoughts?
2. During what war does the story take place?
3. What does the captain do after giving the signal to the sergeant?
4. What does the condemned man want to do as the noise pounds in his head?
5. How old is the man to be hanged?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)