|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role do the sentinels have in the impending execution?
(a) No role.
(b) They will give the signal to proceed.
(c) They are waiting on word of a reprieve.
(d) They arrested the men.
2. What is the man's probable profession?
3. What is the man doing with his hands?
(a) They are tied behind his back.
(b) He is signalling for help.
(c) He is clapping.
(d) He is waving to his friends.
4. The condemned man thinks the loud sound is like _____________________.
(a) A blacksmith's hammer.
(c) Horses' hooves.
(d) A clanging bell.
5. What does the man think of when he closes his eyes?
(a) His home.
(b) His mother.
(c) His wife and children.
6. What do the men in the infantry do while waiting for the execution?
(a) Stare forward.
(b) Sit down.
(d) Close their eyes.
7. What are the man's movements?
(a) He is exercising on the ground.
(b) He is jumping up and down.
(c) He is fixed on one spot.
(d) He is doing acrobatics.
8. What does the captain do after giving the signal to the sergeant?
(a) Shoots his pistol.
(b) Salutes the troops.
(c) Rides away.
(d) Steps aside.
9. What are the slack boards laid upon?
(d) Railway supports.
10. What holds the critical plank in place?
(a) An anchor.
(b) The sergeant.
(c) A rope.
(d) A horse.
11. The man in the noose stands at one end of the plank and __________________ stands at the other.
(a) The governor.
(b) The sergeant.
(c) A minister.
(d) A private.
12. How does the condemned man view the system of execution?
13. What do the man's clothes indicate about him?
(a) He is a criminal.
(b) He is a soldier.
(c) He has been sucessful.
(d) He is too young to die.
14. Who stands with the spectators?
(a) A minister.
(b) The mayor.
(c) A lieutenant.
(d) The governor.
15. What crime has the condemned man committed?
(b) It is unknown at this point.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the soldiers' ____________, death is to be honored.
2. Which of the following is NOT a rank among the men on the platform with the man?
3. How old is the man to be hanged?
4. What literary technique does the author use when he says that death is a dignitary?
5. In what direction is the man looking?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)