|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The condemned man thinks the loud sound is like _____________________.
(a) Horses' hooves.
(b) A blacksmith's hammer.
(c) A clanging bell.
2. Where are the spectators located?
(a) In a special soundproof room.
(b) In line at parade rest.
(c) Standing in the grass.
(d) In bleachers.
3. What does the condemned man want to take off his body?
(a) The hood.
(b) The noose.
(c) His coat.
(d) The blindfold.
4. What does the captain do after giving the signal to the sergeant?
(a) Shoots his pistol.
(b) Steps aside.
(c) Rides away.
(d) Salutes the troops.
5. Where are the sentinels standing guard?
(a) In trees.
(b) In boats.
(c) The ends of the bridge.
(d) In nearby fields.
6. What is the man's probable profession?
7. The sentinels are as still as ________________.
8. Which of the following does NOT describe the condemned man?
(a) Common criminal.
9. What do the men in the infantry do while waiting for the execution?
(a) Stare forward.
(b) Sit down.
(c) Close their eyes.
10. What are the man's movements?
(a) He is exercising on the ground.
(b) He is jumping up and down.
(c) He is fixed on one spot.
(d) He is doing acrobatics.
11. During what war does the story take place?
(a) The Civil War.
(b) World War II.
(c) World War I.
(d) The Korean War.
12. What is the man wearing?
(a) Military uniform.
(b) Night shirt.
(c) A frockcoat.
13. How does the condemned man view the system of execution?
14. How can the condemned man's eyes be described?
15. What is the position of the man to be hanged?
(a) A military officer.
(b) A spy.
(c) A wayward politician.
(d) A civilian.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a step in the hanging?
2. What do the man's clothes indicate about him?
3. What is the man looking at?
4. What do the privates do after moving away from the man?
5. In what direction is the man looking?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)