|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The sound becomes ______________ for the condemned man.
2. What does the man think of when he closes his eyes?
(a) His wife and children.
(b) His home.
(c) His mother.
3. How many sentinels stand guard over the men on the platform?
4. What is the source of the sound that the condemned man hears?
(a) A chain.
(b) The bridge.
(d) His watch.
5. During what war does the story take place?
(a) World War I.
(b) The Korean War.
(c) World War II.
(d) The Civil War.
6. What signal does the captain give to the sergeant?
(a) He winks.
(b) He salutes.
(c) He nods.
(d) He shakes his hand.
7. Which of the following does NOT describe the condemned man?
(c) Common criminal.
8. What do the man's clothes indicate about him?
(a) He is too young to die.
(b) He is a criminal.
(c) He is a soldier.
(d) He has been sucessful.
9. What color eyes does the condemned man have?
10. In what direction is the man looking?
(a) To the right.
(c) To the left.
11. The man in the noose stands at one end of the plank and __________________ stands at the other.
(a) A private.
(b) The sergeant.
(c) A minister.
(d) The governor.
12. In what state is the man located?
13. What literary technique does the author use when he says that death is a dignitary?
14. The condemned man thinks the loud sound is like _____________________.
(b) Horses' hooves.
(c) A blacksmith's hammer.
(d) A clanging bell.
15. What role do the sentinels have in the impending execution?
(a) They will give the signal to proceed.
(b) They arrested the men.
(c) They are waiting on word of a reprieve.
(d) No role.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men in the infantry do while waiting for the execution?
2. How old is the man to be hanged?
3. The rope around the man's neck is attached to ______________________.
4. What does the condemned man want to take off his body?
5. What holds the critical plank in place?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)