|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the condemned man view the system of execution?
2. The condemned man thinks the loud sound is like _____________________.
(a) A clanging bell.
(c) Horses' hooves.
(d) A blacksmith's hammer.
3. Which of the following does NOT describe the condemned man?
(a) Common criminal.
4. What literary technique does the author use when he says that death is a dignitary?
5. Where are the sentinels standing guard?
(a) In nearby fields.
(b) In boats.
(c) In trees.
(d) The ends of the bridge.
6. How many sentinels stand guard over the men on the platform?
7. Where is the man standing at the beginning of Part 1?
(a) A cave.
(b) A city street.
(c) An alley.
(d) A railroad bridge.
8. The sergeant salutes the captain and ____________________.
(a) Blows a bugle.
(b) Rides away on his horse.
(c) Orders the men to shoot.
(d) Moves to stand behind him.
9. Which of the following is NOT a step in the hanging?
(a) The plank will tilt.
(b) The man will fall.
(c) The sergeant will step off the plank.
(d) The sergeant will slap the horse.
10. What does the captain do after giving the signal to the sergeant?
(a) Steps aside.
(b) Shoots his pistol.
(c) Rides away.
(d) Salutes the troops.
11. The sound becomes ______________ for the condemned man.
12. What is the man's probable profession?
13. The condemned man feels as if his ears _______________________.
(a) Are bleeding.
(b) Are being punctured with a knife.
(c) Are plugged up.
(d) Are being ripped off.
14. What is the date of the beginning of Part 1?
(a) September 15, 1954.
(b) April 7, 1813.
(c) It not known.
(d) June 25, 1864.
15. What does the condemned man focus on in the water below?
(a) A piece of driftwood.
(b) Sun sparkling on the surface.
(d) Salmon swimming upstream.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the condemned man want to do as the noise pounds in his head?
2. Who is the author of AN OCCURRENCE AT OWL CREEK BRIDGE?
3. The man in the noose stands at one end of the plank and __________________ stands at the other.
4. What role do the sentinels have in the impending execution?
5. The soldiers treat death with military etiquette and _______________.
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)