|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the man standing at the beginning of Part 1?
(a) A railroad bridge.
(b) A city street.
(c) An alley.
(d) A cave.
2. Why is the man immobile?
(a) He is playing a game.
(b) He is trying to hide.
(c) His neck is in a noose.
(d) He is paralyzed.
3. How many sentinels stand guard over the men on the platform?
4. The soldiers treat death with military etiquette and _______________.
5. Who stands with the spectators?
(a) A minister.
(b) The mayor.
(c) The governor.
(d) A lieutenant.
6. How does the condemned man view the system of execution?
7. The condemned man feels as if his ears _______________________.
(a) Are being ripped off.
(b) Are being punctured with a knife.
(c) Are bleeding.
(d) Are plugged up.
8. What is the man looking at?
9. Who is the author of AN OCCURRENCE AT OWL CREEK BRIDGE?
(a) Ambrose Pearson.
(b) Anthonio Bierce.
(c) Ambrose Bierce.
(d) Ambrose Pierce.
10. What do the men in the infantry do while waiting for the execution?
(a) Sit down.
(b) Stare forward.
(d) Close their eyes.
11. During what war does the story take place?
(a) World War II.
(b) World War I.
(c) The Korean War.
(d) The Civil War.
12. What are the man's movements?
(a) He is fixed on one spot.
(b) He is exercising on the ground.
(c) He is jumping up and down.
(d) He is doing acrobatics.
13. Where are the sentinels standing guard?
(a) In boats.
(b) In nearby fields.
(c) The ends of the bridge.
(d) In trees.
14. What do all the men on the platform have in common?
(a) They all have brown hair.
(b) They are all bald.
(c) They are from the Federal army.
(d) They are all smoking cigars.
15. What role do the sentinels have in the impending execution?
(a) They are waiting on word of a reprieve.
(b) They will give the signal to proceed.
(c) They arrested the men.
(d) No role.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the condemned man want to do as the noise pounds in his head?
2. Which of the following is NOT a step in the hanging?
3. What is the man standing on?
4. The sergeant salutes the captain and ____________________.
5. According to the soldiers' ____________, death is to be honored.
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)