|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the privates do after moving away from the man?
(a) Ride away.
(b) Pull away their planks.
(c) Stand in silence.
(d) Wipe their brows.
2. What holds the critical plank in place?
(a) A rope.
(b) A horse.
(c) An anchor.
(d) The sergeant.
3. The remaining plank spans how many railroad ties?
4. The condemned man feels as if his ears _______________________.
(a) Are bleeding.
(b) Are being punctured with a knife.
(c) Are plugged up.
(d) Are being ripped off.
5. What is the position of the man to be hanged?
(a) A wayward politician.
(b) A civilian.
(c) A spy.
(d) A military officer.
6. The condemned man thinks the loud sound is like _____________________.
(b) A clanging bell.
(c) A blacksmith's hammer.
(d) Horses' hooves.
7. The method of execution in the story is __________________.
(d) Military style.
8. What does the captain do after giving the signal to the sergeant?
(a) Shoots his pistol.
(b) Rides away.
(c) Salutes the troops.
(d) Steps aside.
9. What are the man's movements?
(a) He is doing acrobatics.
(b) He is fixed on one spot.
(c) He is jumping up and down.
(d) He is exercising on the ground.
10. Which of the following is NOT a step in the hanging?
(a) The sergeant will slap the horse.
(b) The sergeant will step off the plank.
(c) The man will fall.
(d) The plank will tilt.
11. Which of the following is NOT a rank among the men on the platform with the man?
12. What do the man's clothes indicate about him?
(a) He has been sucessful.
(b) He is a criminal.
(c) He is too young to die.
(d) He is a soldier.
13. What is the man doing with his hands?
(a) They are tied behind his back.
(b) He is waving to his friends.
(c) He is signalling for help.
(d) He is clapping.
14. What is the man wearing?
(a) A frockcoat.
(c) Night shirt.
(d) Military uniform.
15. Who stands with the spectators?
(a) The governor.
(b) The mayor.
(c) A minister.
(d) A lieutenant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color eyes does the condemned man have?
2. What crime has the condemned man committed?
3. What are the slack boards laid upon?
4. What is the man's probable profession?
5. The sergeant salutes the captain and ____________________.
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)