|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The sergeant salutes the captain and ____________________.
(a) Rides away on his horse.
(b) Blows a bugle.
(c) Moves to stand behind him.
(d) Orders the men to shoot.
2. What is the man looking at?
3. What does the captain do after giving the signal to the sergeant?
(a) Salutes the troops.
(b) Rides away.
(c) Steps aside.
(d) Shoots his pistol.
4. What does the condemned man NOT wear?
(a) A tie.
(b) A hat.
(c) A hood.
5. Who is the author of AN OCCURRENCE AT OWL CREEK BRIDGE?
(a) Ambrose Pierce.
(b) Ambrose Pearson.
(c) Anthonio Bierce.
(d) Ambrose Bierce.
6. What literary technique does the author use when he says that death is a dignitary?
7. What are the man's movements?
(a) He is fixed on one spot.
(b) He is jumping up and down.
(c) He is doing acrobatics.
(d) He is exercising on the ground.
8. According to the soldiers' ____________, death is to be honored.
(a) Unwritten code.
(d) Rule book.
9. What does the condemned man want to take off his body?
(a) The hood.
(b) His coat.
(c) The noose.
(d) The blindfold.
10. What do the men in the infantry do while waiting for the execution?
(a) Stare forward.
(c) Close their eyes.
(d) Sit down.
11. What does the condemned man want to do as the noise pounds in his head?
(a) Shoot himself.
(b) Beg for mercy.
12. Where is the man standing at the beginning of Part 1?
(a) A railroad bridge.
(b) An alley.
(c) A city street.
(d) A cave.
13. In what direction is the man looking?
(b) To the left.
(c) To the right.
14. What does the condemned man note about the driftwood in the water below?
(a) It is huge.
(b) It is moving slowly.
(c) It is gray.
(d) It is very small.
15. Where are the spectators located?
(a) Standing in the grass.
(b) In bleachers.
(c) In a special soundproof room.
(d) In line at parade rest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the man wearing?
2. What color eyes does the condemned man have?
3. The condemned man thinks the loud sound is like _____________________.
4. What do the privates do after moving away from the man?
5. The condemned man feels as if his ears _______________________.
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)