|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a step in the hanging?
(a) The man will fall.
(b) The sergeant will slap the horse.
(c) The sergeant will step off the plank.
(d) The plank will tilt.
2. The soldiers treat death with military etiquette and _______________.
3. When it is time for the execution, who moves away from the location first?
(a) The general.
(b) The sergeant.
(c) The two privates.
(d) The colonel.
4. The method of execution in the story is __________________.
(b) Military style.
5. What do all the men on the platform have in common?
(a) They are from the Federal army.
(b) They are all smoking cigars.
(c) They are all bald.
(d) They all have brown hair.
6. The condemned man thinks the loud sound is like _____________________.
(a) A clanging bell.
(c) Horses' hooves.
(d) A blacksmith's hammer.
7. In what state is the man located?
8. Which of the following does NOT describe the condemned man?
(b) Common criminal.
9. Which of the following is NOT a rank among the men on the platform with the man?
10. What literary technique does the author use when he says that death is a dignitary?
11. What signal does the captain give to the sergeant?
(a) He nods.
(b) He winks.
(c) He salutes.
(d) He shakes his hand.
12. What does the man think of when he closes his eyes?
(b) His mother.
(c) His wife and children.
(d) His home.
13. What is the man doing with his hands?
(a) He is waving to his friends.
(b) They are tied behind his back.
(c) He is signalling for help.
(d) He is clapping.
14. What is the man standing on?
(c) Slack boards.
(d) Ship's plank.
15. Where is the man standing at the beginning of Part 1?
(a) A city street.
(b) A railroad bridge.
(c) An alley.
(d) A cave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the position of the man to be hanged?
2. Who is the author of AN OCCURRENCE AT OWL CREEK BRIDGE?
3. How many other men are on the platform with the man?
4. What are the man's movements?
5. What does the captain do after giving the signal to the sergeant?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)