|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the sentinels standing guard?
(a) In boats.
(b) The ends of the bridge.
(c) In trees.
(d) In nearby fields.
2. What role do the sentinels have in the impending execution?
(a) They will give the signal to proceed.
(b) They are waiting on word of a reprieve.
(c) No role.
(d) They arrested the men.
3. What does the condemned man want to do as the noise pounds in his head?
(c) Shoot himself.
(d) Beg for mercy.
4. What do all the men on the platform have in common?
(a) They are from the Federal army.
(b) They all have brown hair.
(c) They are all smoking cigars.
(d) They are all bald.
5. What do the men in the infantry do while waiting for the execution?
(b) Close their eyes.
(c) Stare forward.
(d) Sit down.
6. The sound becomes ______________ for the condemned man.
7. According to the soldiers' ____________, death is to be honored.
(c) Unwritten code.
(d) Rule book.
8. What is the source of the sound that the condemned man hears?
(a) His watch.
(c) The bridge.
(d) A chain.
9. The condemned man thinks the loud sound is like _____________________.
(a) A clanging bell.
(b) A blacksmith's hammer.
(c) Horses' hooves.
10. What are the man's movements?
(a) He is doing acrobatics.
(b) He is exercising on the ground.
(c) He is fixed on one spot.
(d) He is jumping up and down.
11. What are the slack boards laid upon?
(b) Railway supports.
12. The remaining plank spans how many railroad ties?
13. In what direction is the man looking?
(b) To the left.
(c) To the right.
14. The soldiers treat death with military etiquette and _______________.
15. How many other men are on the platform with the man?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the man standing at the beginning of Part 1?
2. What is the position of the man to be hanged?
3. What does the condemned man focus on in the water below?
4. What does the condemned man NOT wear?
5. Where are the spectators located?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)