|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the sentinels standing guard?
(a) In nearby fields.
(b) In boats.
(c) In trees.
(d) The ends of the bridge.
2. The condemned man thinks the loud sound is like _____________________.
(a) Horses' hooves.
(c) A blacksmith's hammer.
(d) A clanging bell.
3. Where is the man standing at the beginning of Part 1?
(a) A cave.
(b) An alley.
(c) A city street.
(d) A railroad bridge.
4. What crime has the condemned man committed?
(b) It is unknown at this point.
5. What does the captain do after giving the signal to the sergeant?
(a) Salutes the troops.
(b) Rides away.
(c) Steps aside.
(d) Shoots his pistol.
6. What is the man standing on?
(c) Ship's plank.
(d) Slack boards.
7. How does the condemned man view the system of execution?
8. Which of the following is NOT a step in the hanging?
(a) The man will fall.
(b) The sergeant will step off the plank.
(c) The sergeant will slap the horse.
(d) The plank will tilt.
9. The sound becomes ______________ for the condemned man.
10. During what war does the story take place?
(a) The Civil War.
(b) World War II.
(c) World War I.
(d) The Korean War.
11. How many other men are on the platform with the man?
12. What does the condemned man note about the driftwood in the water below?
(a) It is moving slowly.
(b) It is gray.
(c) It is huge.
(d) It is very small.
13. Which of the following does NOT describe the condemned man?
(b) Common criminal.
14. What does the condemned man think is the solution for his predicament?
(a) Talking to the governor.
(b) Freeing his hands.
(c) Finding his gun.
(d) Bribing the guards.
15. What is the source of the sound that the condemned man hears?
(a) His watch.
(c) The bridge.
(d) A chain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the man immobile?
2. What are the man's movements?
3. The remaining plank spans how many railroad ties?
4. What signal does the captain give to the sergeant?
5. How many sentinels stand guard over the men on the platform?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)