|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the source of the sound that the condemned man hears?
(a) The bridge.
(b) His watch.
(c) A chain.
2. Where is the man standing at the beginning of Part 1?
(a) A city street.
(b) A railroad bridge.
(c) An alley.
(d) A cave.
3. What are the slack boards laid upon?
(a) Railway supports.
4. How does the condemned man view the system of execution?
5. The man in the noose stands at one end of the plank and __________________ stands at the other.
(a) A minister.
(b) A private.
(c) The governor.
(d) The sergeant.
6. What do all the men on the platform have in common?
(a) They are from the Federal army.
(b) They are all smoking cigars.
(c) They are all bald.
(d) They all have brown hair.
7. The condemned man thinks the loud sound is like _____________________.
(a) Horses' hooves.
(b) A clanging bell.
(d) A blacksmith's hammer.
8. What holds the critical plank in place?
(a) A rope.
(b) A horse.
(c) An anchor.
(d) The sergeant.
9. What is the date of the beginning of Part 1?
(a) September 15, 1954.
(b) April 7, 1813.
(c) June 25, 1864.
(d) It not known.
10. What are the man's movements?
(a) He is jumping up and down.
(b) He is doing acrobatics.
(c) He is exercising on the ground.
(d) He is fixed on one spot.
11. What does the condemned man NOT wear?
(a) A hat.
(c) A hood.
(d) A tie.
12. What does the condemned man want to do as the noise pounds in his head?
(b) Beg for mercy.
(d) Shoot himself.
13. During what war does the story take place?
(a) The Civil War.
(b) The Korean War.
(c) World War I.
(d) World War II.
14. How many other men are on the platform with the man?
15. What signal does the captain give to the sergeant?
(a) He salutes.
(b) He nods.
(c) He winks.
(d) He shakes his hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the spectators located?
2. Which of the following is NOT a rank among the men on the platform with the man?
3. What crime has the condemned man committed?
4. When it is time for the execution, who moves away from the location first?
5. The remaining plank spans how many railroad ties?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)