|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During what war does the story take place?
(a) The Civil War.
(b) World War I.
(c) The Korean War.
(d) World War II.
2. What does the condemned man want to do as the noise pounds in his head?
(a) Beg for mercy.
(c) Shoot himself.
3. What literary technique does the author use when he says that death is a dignitary?
4. When it is time for the execution, who moves away from the location first?
(a) The sergeant.
(b) The two privates.
(c) The general.
(d) The colonel.
5. The sergeant salutes the captain and ____________________.
(a) Rides away on his horse.
(b) Moves to stand behind him.
(c) Blows a bugle.
(d) Orders the men to shoot.
6. Who are the spectators for the execution?
(a) Some news reporters.
(b) A company of infantrymen.
(c) Some nosy local people.
(d) Families of the victim.
7. What do the privates do after moving away from the man?
(a) Wipe their brows.
(b) Pull away their planks.
(c) Ride away.
(d) Stand in silence.
8. What crime has the condemned man committed?
(c) It is unknown at this point.
9. The method of execution in the story is __________________.
(b) Military style.
10. How can the condemned man's eyes be described?
11. The rope around the man's neck is attached to ______________________.
(a) A forklift.
(b) A cross timber.
(c) A tree.
(d) A scaffold.
12. How many other men are on the platform with the man?
13. What is the date of the beginning of Part 1?
(a) It not known.
(b) September 15, 1954.
(c) June 25, 1864.
(d) April 7, 1813.
14. The condemned man thinks the loud sound is like _____________________.
(b) A blacksmith's hammer.
(c) Horses' hooves.
(d) A clanging bell.
15. Where are the sentinels standing guard?
(a) In trees.
(b) In boats.
(c) In nearby fields.
(d) The ends of the bridge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color eyes does the condemned man have?
2. How many sentinels stand guard over the men on the platform?
3. What does the condemned man focus on in the water below?
4. In what direction is the man looking?
5. What is the man looking at?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)