|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the condemned man want to do as the noise pounds in his head?
(b) Shoot himself.
(c) Beg for mercy.
2. Peyton comes from a highly respected family of __________________.
(a) Cotton merchants.
(c) Arms builders.
(d) Slave owners.
3. Who is with Peyton when he is approached by someone at his property?
(a) No one.
(b) His wife.
(c) His brother.
(d) His son.
4. Which of the following does the condemned man NOT visualize in his mind?
(a) Swimming away.
(b) Ripping off the noose.
(c) Shooting the sergeant.
(d) Diving into the water.
5. Who approaches Peyton and his wife as they sit outside their home?
(a) A traveling salesman.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) A minister.
(d) A soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men in the infantry do while waiting for the execution?
2. What is aroused in Peyton at the end of Part 2?
3. What do all the men on the platform have in common?
4. What happens to Peyton at the end of the story?
5. What time of day does the soldier return to the Farquhar house?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)