|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prevented Peyton's enlisting in the army?
(a) Chicken pox.
(b) It is not known.
(c) Flat feet.
(d) Bad heart.
2. What can be inferred about the crime Peyton may have committed?
(a) He shot a Yankee general.
(b) He set fire to the driftwood to burn the bridge.
(c) He deserted from the army.
(d) He burned a neighbor's plantation.
3. Who approaches Peyton and his wife as they sit outside their home?
(a) A neighbor.
(b) A traveling salesman.
(c) A minister.
(d) A soldier.
4. What do all the men on the platform have in common?
(a) They are all bald.
(b) They are from the Federal army.
(c) They are all smoking cigars.
(d) They all have brown hair.
5. What role do the sentinels have in the impending execution?
(a) No role.
(b) They are waiting on word of a reprieve.
(c) They will give the signal to proceed.
(d) They arrested the men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary technique does the author use when he says that death is a dignitary?
2. How did Peyton feel about not being allowed to enlist in the army?
3. How did the soldier approach Peyton's house?
4. The soldiers treat death with military etiquette and _______________.
5. What does the condemned man note about the driftwood in the water below?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)