|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The posted order states that any civilian caught interfering with the railroad ______________________.
(a) Needs permission first.
(b) Will be ordered to enlist.
(c) Will be hanged.
(d) Needs a license.
2. What do the privates do after moving away from the man?
(a) Ride away.
(b) Stand in silence.
(c) Wipe their brows.
(d) Pull away their planks.
3. The method of execution in the story is __________________.
(c) Military style.
4. Which of the following is NOT a natural question to ask after reading Part 2?
(a) Was the visit to Peyton's house a random one?
(b) Was Peyton targeted by the enemy?
(c) Was Peyton being watched?
(d) What was Peyton wearing?
5. In what state does Peyton live?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the soldier reappear at the Farquhar house?
2. How old is the man to be hanged?
3. What literary technique does the author use when he says that death is a dignitary?
4. What do the men in the infantry do while waiting for the execution?
5. What does the condemned man note about the driftwood in the water below?
This section contains 203 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)